yin-bodhi

Columbus, OH

I will be moving to Columbus in the fall to begin my PhD in psychology. I checked out Victorian Village online & in person and that area (and its perimeter) is definitely where I want to be, at least in my first year.

Are there any recommendations for landlords or places to look first? I'm already all up on metro-rentals.com. I'm looking at getting a 2-br with my roommate/gf/best friend in tow with me, so we're all set except for the roof!

OK Thanks

I saw two towers on the map near the Stadium, what are those? That's West Campus I guess. They seem kind of concentrated and cheap. What about price range of each of these locations?

Lincoln and Morrill are strictly undergrads...Lincoln is an honors dorm, and Morrill is party central. They used to call them Sodom and Gomorrah in the 70s. Crazy stuff went down in those buildings back then. The only dorm that housed grads that I knew of was Jones, and I'm pretty sure they recently opened that up to undergrads. There may be others, but not that I know of. Do yourself a favor and live of campus in Clintonville or Victorian Village...people get stupid on the weekends in the off-caampus area right around the edges of campus....and having been an RA and living in the dorms as a senior, undergrads can get pretty annoying.

I went to OSU, so I'm going to just take a min. here to share with you all how awesome it is...

Also, I saw someone ask about the GLBT community, and am not sure if anyone responded (I didn't read every single response.) There is a very vibrant GLBT community...they even have a huge pride parade in the summer. I can't speak from personal experience b/c I'm straight, but I have some gay friends who came out to their roomies in the dorms and everyone was very open about it...they've never felt harassed...that I know of. I think Columbus ranks in the top 3 cities in the country for having a large gay population. There is also a really big drag culture in the Short North. Everyone is really open about it. If anyone is worried that Columbus is your typical Mid-West cow town...it is totally not like that. There is a huge art scene, and tons of bands come play at the Newport, which is right on High St. The Activities Board at OSU is also amazing at bringing in people for students to watch for free...Ludacris, Will Ferrell, Conan O'Brien...you can find something to do every weekend, even if you just stay on campus.

Also, if you are into sports, the Blue Jackets hockey team is a ton of fun to go and watch...their practices are free and open to the public, but they suck again this year. Our pro soccer team won the championship a couple years back, and we also have a minor league baseball team too. Plus you have all the OSU sports too. So, good place to be if you are a sports fan.

Also, I'm not sure if anyone mentioned the Easton shopping center, only like 20 mins. from campus. If you like shopping, go there, you will be amazed. They have indoor and outdoor shopping, tons of restaurants, and a cool place called the shadowbox where you can go and watch comedians and others perform. You could spend all day there just walking around.

OK, a crazy question here: what is the cheapest housing option? I mean cheap like realllly cheap ;) I don't care about undergrads all around, 10 people in one room, ... nothing. Call me crazy, but I basically use housing as a sleeping place for 7 hours/day maximum. I'm usually out in labs classes or having fun. So I want to know about THE CHEAPEST.B) is something like $200-300/month or less possible?

Do you care about transportation? If not, you might like the downtown area. Strange as it seems, Downtown is cheaper than on campus (and victorian village), and is not all that far. I have a good friend who lives on campus (summit/20th) I live in the south end of downtown and Its less than a 10 min drive for me. Also, high st is very easy to navigate by bus. Problem is you're unlikely to run into any students and the atmosphere my be a little different. Under 300 a month would be possible with a roommate.

I will be moving to Columbus in the fall to begin my PhD in psychology. I checked out Victorian Village online & in person and that area (and its perimeter) is definitely where I want to be, at least in my first year.

Are there any recommendations for landlords or places to look first? I'm already all up on metro-rentals.com. I'm looking at getting a 2-br with my roommate/gf/best friend in tow with me, so we're all set except for the roof!

I always hear good things about the Tivoli Apartments.

OK, I'm interested to know more about Upper Arlington area. Turns out it's very close to the lab, on Kinnear Road, I'm supposed to be working in.

Any info on rent comparison, proximity to decent grocery stores, the kind of people that live there, number of grad students there, etc. would be appreciated.

Anyone interested in Columbus housing or general info can send me a message. I've lived here for six years and am starting my MA in the fall in the NELC department for Arabic. I can answer questions and would be willing to show you around to some cool places to hang out, study, etc. If you have any particular interests (say you like jazz clubs or house shows) I could probably suggest some neat places for you too.

OK, I'm interested to know more about Upper Arlington area. Turns out it's very close to the lab, on Kinnear Road, I'm supposed to be working in.

Any info on rent comparison, proximity to decent grocery stores, the kind of people that live there, number of grad students there, etc. would be appreciated.

I would say there are little to no students in Upper Arlington--mostly families and professors maybe and definitely has an upper-class vibe. You might be able to find a decent apartment there but I have no idea what it would cost. A car would be absolutely essential. If you're looking to be as close to there as possible, I would suggest Clintonville and, if you don't mind more of a student-like atmosphere, Old North Columbus. If you have a car and don't mind the 'burbs then see if you can find anything in UA. It's just that I personally wouldn't live there.

I'll be a grad student in ECE next year and I'm trying to figure out where to live. I haven't received a definite figure for my monthly stipend, but I know that it will be at least $1800 / month so that it what I am planning for. Do you have any specific recommendations as far as what companies to rent from or who to avoid? I've heard from multiple people that Clintonville and Grandview are nice areas, and I also know that Clintonville is fairly convenient since I will spend most of my time in Dreese. One of the apartment complexes I was looking at is Riverview Apartments, do any of you know anything about them?

Thanks for your help!

I'll be a grad student in ECE next year and I'm trying to figure out where to live. I haven't received a definite figure for my monthly stipend, but I know that it will be at least $1800 / month so that it what I am planning for. Do you have any specific recommendations as far as what companies to rent from or who to avoid? I've heard from multiple people that Clintonville and Grandview are nice areas, and I also know that Clintonville is fairly convenient since I will spend most of my time in Dreese. One of the apartment complexes I was looking at is Riverview Apartments, do any of you know anything about them?

Thanks for your help!

Avoid Pat McGrivey. I may have spelled his name wrong but he is a notoriously bad campus landlord.

Riverview's pretty far from campus, not necessarily geographically but you'd have to drive to get places. Stay away from Northsteppe Realty. They're terrible.

Two married friends of mine live here (he's an ECE grad student and she's a Chemistry grad student):

http://www.olentangyvillage.com/floorplan.asp?FPID=40059

The River is very close to campus and High Street (the main drag). I've been to their place many times. It's very nice. They split the rent, but it's a nice complex and location if you're willing to drop the dough. Having said that, you can find much cheaper places if you're willing to have roommates and live somewhere a little more... modest (shoddy yet not bad).

Thanks, I will definitely avoid Pat McGreevy.

Google maps claims it is about 20 minutes via bus from Riverview Place Apartments to Dreese. I attend a very small undergrad school (less than 3500 students) and I'm from a very small town so it is somewhat hard for me to judge how long a commute to class should be. Is that a long commute compared to most grad. student housing?

I've also been told that Olentangy Village is very nice, but I will be living alone so it would be fairly expensive for me. I'd really like to keep my rent + basic utilities to around $650 / mo whereas an ECE grad student I know told me that he pays roughly $700 before electric in Olentangy Village.

I was out in Columbus over my spring break, but I didn't get to see very many apartments and the one I thought looked alright was at 50 McMillen Ave. Since then I've read that most graduate students live further out than that. I'm a fairly studious individual so I'd prefer to avoid loud undergraduate areas. I will be working on Dayton this summer so I could potentially look at apartments around June when I start working. My only concern is that it would be fairly late for a fall move in, and I could end up getting stuck with a very bad apartment.

I was looking on Metro-Rentals and found a place at 1800 & 1806 North Star Road rented by Morgan Management / StarKing Rentals. It is a 17 minute bus ride according to google maps which doesn't seem terrible. The price also seems pretty good at $630 / month including gas heat and water. Any opinion on the location or realtor?

I will also be bringing a car with me, but I don't plan on paying for a parking pass on campus.

Edited by TEK

I will be starting a graduate program at OSU this fall and was hoping to buy a place to live. Can anyone give me any information about the area around Scioto Woods? I know it's close to Marble Cliff which is a good area, but that's about all I know. Any info is greatly appreciated!

I graduated from OSU, and didn't find it necessary to have a car...I managed to get around for 4 years without one...but everybody is different (I lived on campus). All students can ride the COTA public bus system for free (well, you do pay a mandatory fee per quarter) just by showing them your student ID. If you live far off-campus, you might consider a car - a 15 min. car ride can sometimes take an hour and a half on the bus. I only really used the bus to go downtown and up and down High St. I made friends with cars - that works too!

I will be starting a graduate program at OSU this fall and was hoping to buy a place to live. Can anyone give me any information about the area around Scioto Woods? I know it's close to Marble Cliff which is a good area, but that's about all I know. Any info is greatly appreciated!

Can you give any more information about where Scioto Woods is? Like some of the major streets around it? Marble Cliff is a nice, safe area, but you don't need to go to far before you end up in some not so nice places.

I graduated from OSU, and didn't find it necessary to have a car...I managed to get around for 4 years without one...but everybody is different (I lived on campus). All students can ride the COTA public bus system for free (well, you do pay a mandatory fee per quarter) just by showing them your student ID. If you live far off-campus, you might consider a car - a 15 min. car ride can sometimes take an hour and a half on the bus. I only really used the bus to go downtown and up and down High St. I made friends with cars - that works too!

Iif you really want to explore columbus you'll need a car. There are a lot of places the bus simply doesnt go.

Can you give any more information about where Scioto Woods is? Like some of the major streets around it? Marble Cliff is a nice, safe area, but you don't need to go to far before you end up in some not so nice places.

It's between Wilson Road and Hague Ave, just north of 70. Thanks!

It's between Wilson Road and Hague Ave, just north of 70. Thanks!

NO! don't do it. This area is called The Hilltop and it's one of the worst in the city.

What type of things are you looking for in a neighborhood? Do you care about school districts, or proximity to OSU? Maybe we could recommend something.

Edited by latte thunder

NO! don't do it. This area is called The Hilltop and it's one of the worst in the city.

What type of things are you looking for in a neighborhood? Do you care about school districts, or proximity to OSU? Maybe we could recommend something.

I thought it might be sketchy. Thanks for the confirmation.

I don't care at all about school districts, but I'd like to be within a 10-15 minute drive to OSU. I was hoping to buy a house which is why I was looking in this area. What do you think about Clintonville? Or if you have other suggestions, I'd be open to buying a condo as well. Thanks again!

What do people think/know about German Village? I visited a couple weeks ago and drove around the various neighborhoods. While I liked Victorian Village and Clintonville (particularly the areas with the wider, less crowded streets), I really liked what I saw from German Village. I know it's south of downtown. How big of a hassle is that? I'm not really going to be looking to hit the bars near campus every weekend or anything like that - just go to class, library, etc. I may end up investing in a garage pass if there are still any available when I get there in September, so while walking to campus would be nice, I would still have parking if I did so. Would be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts.

Thanks

I thought it might be sketchy. Thanks for the confirmation.

I don't care at all about school districts, but I'd like to be within a 10-15 minute drive to OSU. I was hoping to buy a house which is why I was looking in this area. What do you think about Clintonville? Or if you have other suggestions, I'd be open to buying a condo as well. Thanks again!

Clintonville is a good area, but you might have some trouble finding affordable houses for sale as a lot of the houses are rental properties or still full of yuppie baby boomers. I would suggest the Bethel/Henderson road area as well, especially around the Kenny rd intersection. I'm not sure what the name of this area actually is; I've always just heard it referred to by the street names! A lot of the people who live in this area are grad students/upper classmen or recently graduated and there are quite a few condos for sale. I think this would be your best bet. Just about anywhere off of those two roads are safe areas, but the closer you are to Kenny or 315, the easier your commute will be.

You may be able to find some houses on "campus" which is basically the square created by 11th to the south, 4th to the east, Hudson to the north, and 315 to the west. I would question your Realtor about how easily you'd be able to sell after you graduate, as you would almost definitely not want to live here if you didn't have to. It's not particularly dangerous, but is full of kids and other people who would be attracted to rent targeted at students.

For any other incoming students reading this, there are plenty more safe options to rent in Columbus, but buying might be more of a hassle.

What do people think/know about German Village? I visited a couple weeks ago and drove around the various neighborhoods. While I liked Victorian Village and Clintonville (particularly the areas with the wider, less crowded streets), I really liked what I saw from German Village. I know it's south of downtown. How big of a hassle is that? I'm not really going to be looking to hit the bars near campus every weekend or anything like that - just go to class, library, etc. I may end up investing in a garage pass if there are still any available when I get there in September, so while walking to campus would be nice, I would still have parking if I did so. Would be interested in hearing anyone's thoughts.

Thanks

LOL, its kinda funny that you liked the wider streets AND German Village! This area isn't a hassle to get to campus, buses run up and down high street all day, and its about a 10-15 min drive. You WILL NOT be able to walk it. There is also an express shuttle that goes from campus to German Village on fri/sat nights (with stops near the arena district and the short north) so you'll be OK if you have an alcoholic change of mind.

I used to live in German Village (and now I'm right across the highway downtown) and my best advice is to find a place in June. Seems to be when the cheapest apartments open up. Check out the brewery district, Merion Village, and Shumacher Place as well. I'm not sure what you comfort level is as far as neighborhoods, but it would probably be best to stay North of Hanford (gets unsafe south of here), and West of Bruck (more so for the looks factor, as this is an ugly, but not dangerous area until you cross Parsons). I would not advise Hungarian Village, it looks so close on a map, but it's...hood. For lack of a better word.

LOL, its kinda funny that you liked the wider streets AND German Village! This area isn't a hassle to get to campus, buses run up and down high street all day, and its about a 10-15 min drive. You WILL NOT be able to walk it. There is also an express shuttle that goes from campus to German Village on fri/sat nights (with stops near the arena district and the short north) so you'll be OK if you have an alcoholic change of mind.

I used to live in German Village (and now I'm right across the highway downtown) and my best advice is to find a place in June. Seems to be when the cheapest apartments open up. Check out the brewery district, Merion Village, and Shumacher Place as well. I'm not sure what you comfort level is as far as neighborhoods, but it would probably be best to stay North of Hanford (gets unsafe south of here), and West of Bruck (more so for the looks factor, as this is an ugly, but not dangerous area until you cross Parsons). I would not advise Hungarian Village, it looks so close on a map, but it's...hood. For lack of a better word.

Thanks. By "wider streets," I meant anything wider than the roads in the southern part of Clintonville and around campus where cars are jammed in on both sides of the road and only one car can (barely) get by in either direction at a time. I used to live in a neighborhood like that, and I'm not interested in doing it again - reversing an entire block so the car headed straight at you can get by, etc.

Another question. If I'm starting in September, will apartments be available in...September (or August)? It would seem to me that would make the most sense since that's when most people would be moving in. I'll be working until August and my current lease runs out in September and I'd rather not have to pay 2-3 months of double rent (my current place doesn't allow for a sublease).

Thanks

Thanks. By "wider streets," I meant anything wider than the roads in the southern part of Clintonville and around campus where cars are jammed in on both sides of the road and only one car can (barely) get by in either direction at a time. I used to live in a neighborhood like that, and I'm not interested in doing it again - reversing an entire block so the car headed straight at you can get by, etc.

Another question. If I'm starting in September, will apartments be available in...September (or August)? It would seem to me that would make the most sense since that's when most people would be moving in. I'll be working until August and my current lease runs out in September and I'd rather not have to pay 2-3 months of double rent (my current place doesn't allow for a sublease).

Thanks

Hmmm... Most of the streets in German Village are like this... with 3rd st being the exception. That's the main business area and might be what you saw? Traffic typically isn't that bad around here, so you don't normally have to reverse down the street to let someone through, but you will have to pull over for other people every once in a while. Of course there will be stuff availible for September/August, but much more that are closer to campus than in German Village as GVs population is more families/young professionals than students.

Can you tell me more about Merion Village? Roughly speaking, what divides Merion Village from Hungarian Village. Just browsing around Craigslist I've seen what appear to be nice places in and around Morrill St, Beck St., etc in between High St and Parsons Ave. On Google maps it says Hungarian Village. The posters on Craigslist say Merion Village. Obviously they have every reason to say so if Hungarian Village is known to not be as nice an area, but checking out the area in google street view it looks pretty nice.

Also, what should I know about Italian Village. I've heard that side of High Street is a little more questionable then the Victorian Village side. Driving around when I was out there generally confirmed that, but not being as nice as Victorian Village doesn't mean its not a good area. Any thoughts about that area would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Can you tell me more about Merion Village? Roughly speaking, what divides Merion Village from Hungarian Village. Just browsing around Craigslist I've seen what appear to be nice places in and around Morrill St, Beck St., etc in between High St and Parsons Ave. On Google maps it says Hungarian Village. The posters on Craigslist say Merion Village. Obviously they have every reason to say so if Hungarian Village is known to not be as nice an area, but checking out the area in google street view it looks pretty nice.

Also, what should I know about Italian Village. I've heard that side of High Street is a little more questionable then the Victorian Village side. Driving around when I was out there generally confirmed that, but not being as nice as Victorian Village doesn't mean its not a good area. Any thoughts about that area would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I think Morrill is the border between the two. I don't know what you're comfortable with, however I can't in good faith recommend you live there. It doesn't look like The wire, but that area is run down. Although It's getting gentrified and some of the houses are nicer it's not a street you'd want to walk down at night. It doesn't look that bad on google maps near highstreet... but this HAD to be taken on a sunday morning! That ugly warehouse on High St is a drive thru/liqour store, which always attracts some undesirables and once you get a few blocks down Morrill you'll see where the boarded up houses start. LOL, I feel like I sound like a spoiled rich girl here, but I actually checked out two places on this street the last time I moved (I bet I even know which listing you saw, because few of these houses have been fixed up) and you can find better places for the same rent a few blocks north.

Beck st closer to Parson is a better option. Even though parsons itself can scare a lot of people you should be pretty safe here. South lane is a very ugly street but the streets inbetween and including Beck and Forest have some nice homes. Try to drive around this area first, and see if Parsons is something you could live this close to. Also, note that the area across Parsons ("swanson's addition" I think?) is extermely poor. Not working class, but poverty stricken poor.

I promise I don't spend my weekends at the country club, lol. I actually spend quite a bit of time on Parsons and South High! I want to be as honest as possible because I know people have different comfort levels with this type of thing.

You should be OK in italian Village. I recommend you stay west of 4th St however (and again, as close to High as possible). This area is very gentrified... however you may feel about that. Kinda rubs me the wrong way, but it does tend to make areas safer faster, and give some sense of community. I prefer areas with a REAL sense of history; not the kind you buy but the kind you live. If you like this neighborhood you might also like West, which is directly northwestish of Victorian Village.