yin-bodhi

Columbus, OH

On 2/13/2019 at 1:29 PM, jmaginary said:

Is this still true?  I'm waiting on acceptance and will hopefully be moving to Columbus with my wife, so we're looking for something a bit larger than a downtown 1BR place.  Short North seems expensive, as does Victorian Village.  We've been kind of eyeing northwest Columbus and Dublin as well, mostly for affordability.

This reply is probably far overdue, but you're correct. Those areas cited are very trendy, but they're expensive. I currently live in the Short North on a research assistant budget, but it's tight.  If you're looking for a larger place, your best bet is probably to look to some distal neighborhoods or suburbs, which the NW area of the city or Dublin fit. Feel free to PM me (this is aimed at any future people reading this comment too lol).

I'm moving to Columbus without a car and a good number of the more affordable 1bed/studio apartments nearby are around south campus--any ideas how livable this area is for a phd student on a stipend? There's a good number of units in the 500-600/month range, but if the streets are gonna be running with bud light during football season i'm happy to bus in from somewhere cheaper and a little farther away

19 hours ago, palyndrone said:

I'm moving to Columbus without a car and a good number of the more affordable 1bed/studio apartments nearby are around south campus--any ideas how livable this area is for a phd student on a stipend? There's a good number of units in the 500-600/month range, but if the streets are gonna be running with bud light during football season i'm happy to bus in from somewhere cheaper and a little farther away

The area immediately surrounding campus is cheap and a good mix of graduate students definitely do live in the area. If you are looking to avoid an undergraduate alcohol-fueled shitshow every Saturday in the Fall, I would avoid the area bordered by High Street, Summit Street (or even 4th St), 11th Ave, and Lane Ave. West of High Street is much calmer, though there are still rowdy pockets on the streets immediately bordering campus. I lived on Southwest campus for all of my years in undergrad and it was a pretty balanced mix of (mostly) chill undergrads and graduate students. 

1 minute ago, palyndrone said:

@buckeyepsych That's really useful to know, thanks! If you use them at all, how would you say the bus systems are? 

The OSU specific buses run pretty frequently during business hours and are great for getting around campus. The Columbus bus system (COTA) is fairly expansive and free to OSU students. The city is not very public transport friendly considering its size (no bus lanes, rail transit, etc.). People can and do use the bus exclusively, but it's definitely a slower method than driving around and the schedules/frequency are not the best.