Ann Arbor, MI

Guest wolverine

So obviously Ann Arbor is a college town...any my worry is that with a population of 112,920, and a student population of 41,674, plus I'm sure some lingering post-grads, it might be hard to meet people outside of academia. Not that I don't enjoy people that are academic, but I also really enjoy people who are not. Are pretty much all the people under 35 in Ann Arbor connected to U of M?

So obviously Ann Arbor is a college town...any my worry is that with a population of 112,920, and a student population of 41,674, plus I'm sure some lingering post-grads, it might be hard to meet people outside of academia. Not that I don't enjoy people that are academic, but I also really enjoy people who are not. Are pretty much all the people under 35 in Ann Arbor connected to U of M?

Nope. I've met plenty of people who aren't in the six years I lived in the area.

Ann Arbor is a college town that thinks it's a city. If you want a non-UM town, try Ypsi.

I really like the idea of Ypsi (or even detroit once I get to the dissertation stage), but I've heard a lot of warnings not to live in Ypsi because of transportation. That the buses are always late or canceled when it snows, and if you get a car then you have to deal with an impossible parking situation. But since you are happy with your choice, I'm guessing this has not been a big problem for you?

I''m visiting the town in early March... what kind of clothing should I bring with? I guess I can bring along gloves and a hat, but would a big coat be necessary (I don't have any...)? And what kind of shoes are appropriate? I've lived in a warm climate my whole life so I'm absolutely clueless about this!

Check the weather, because even in the middle of February it warmed up into the 50s for a few days. The weather's a little unpredictable. However, most likely, you will spend little time outside during your visit (depending on the program). I know that the engineering visits involve almost no time spent outside during the visit. You can also get by with layers. Even in 10s or 20s, I wear a sweatshirt and a lighter, fall jacket over it. If it's windy, I'd also wear a scarf and get by all right. The other thing that might be important is grabbing a headband or a hat to cover up your ears from the wind.

I really like the idea of Ypsi (or even detroit once I get to the dissertation stage), but I've heard a lot of warnings not to live in Ypsi because of transportation. That the buses are always late or canceled when it snows, and if you get a car then you have to deal with an impossible parking situation. But since you are happy with your choice, I'm guessing this has not been a big problem for you?

My wife commutes to her job on campus and has for fifteen years, mostly by bus, from Ypsi.

AATA is a problem everywhere, including in A2. It's not the best bus system ever. But short of living in walking distance of central campus, it's what's there. Many people commute via car and park in one of the orange lots and ride the shuttle to central campus. Honestly, you can always find parking on central campus if you get in a jam and have to drive. It's not going to be free, but it's there.

Honestly, coming from a large city with some of the worst traffic in the country and almost no parking in the downtown core, I'm not impressed with Ann Arbor traffic. Except for the goddamn undergrads who walk out in front of my car on State St like their iPods give them a shield of protection against both cars and traffic laws.

Hi, I have recently been admitted to the PhD Psych program at UMich. My boyfriend and I are planning on visiting in May/June and moving in August. However, he won't let go of his Ford Mustang Mach1 and plans on bringing it to Ann Arbor, so now we are looking for apartments with garages where he can keep his car during the winter but I can't find any places that offer garages. I'm not talking about covered parking, he needs a real garage. We found Huron Towers offers some underground parking, but I'm still not sure about this place. We are willing to look at condos/lofts/apartments, etc... Any suggestions??

Hi, I have recently been admitted to the PhD Psych program at UMich. My boyfriend and I are planning on visiting in May/June and moving in August. However, he won't let go of his Ford Mustang Mach1 and plans on bringing it to Ann Arbor, so now we are looking for apartments with garages where he can keep his car during the winter but I can't find any places that offer garages. I'm not talking about covered parking, he needs a real garage. We found Huron Towers offers some underground parking, but I'm still not sure about this place. We are willing to look at condos/lofts/apartments, etc... Any suggestions??

Since I'm considering the possibility of getting a car, I'm curious if there is anything I need to know about winter car care. I've had a car before in upstate NY, but I didn't do any special for taking care of the car....I wasn't so far north that it snowed all the time. If I do end up buying a car, will I need to worry about maintenance more?

Since I'm considering the possibility of getting a car, I'm curious if there is anything I need to know about winter car care. I've had a car before in upstate NY, but I didn't do any special for taking care of the car....I wasn't so far north that it snowed all the time. If I do end up buying a car, will I need to worry about maintenance more?

we use a LOT of salt in the winter in Michigan, which can be sort of rough on cars.

are you bringing a car from somewhere else, or buying one here? i think most of the cars here already have an protective coating on the undercarriage (not like for off-roading, but to protect things from the rust that the wet-freeze-salt-wet-dry cycle can cause) and maybe a layer in the paint job that helps too. (i am no car expert, i'm just saying, our cars somehow do not rot through immediately.) so if you're bringing a car, you might want to check into what kind of protection it has against this kind of stuff.

if you buy a car with regular winter weather in mind, you should pay more attention to whether the heat works than the AC, whether it has any leaks in the sunroof or windows at all (snow just stays on your car and melts, so if there's a leak, it's a bit like rain every day), and whether it's front wheel or rear wheel drive (you want front wheel, or four wheel). some people insist you need a 4WD SUV for winter driving, but i disagree totally - i just wouldn't try it with a small, rear wheel drive car, like a Miata. that wouldn't work very well at all. try to get something with rear defrost.

(i forgot -- one little bonus of having a car in Michigan is that there's absolutely no emissions testing. i mean, it makes me sick ideologically, but it's super convenient.)

Edited by OnceASundevil

Huron Towers might be ok. It's partially open, but not much gets in, I think. You might also consider looking at winter car storage places. There are a bunch of them around Ann Arbor and I've found some garages where one could store a car over winter for $40-70/month, which November/December to mid-March/April wouldn't be too bad. Honestly, that may be the best bet. Otherwise, you'd most likely need to look at condos (Geddes Lake is one example) or renting a house.

The worst part about winter that I've found is the number of huge potholes that appear (the roads here are awful), so you might need to get the car aligned more often. On my car, I've found that the door sills had a whole bunch of rust - I didn't check there for a while, because it was covered up by the rubber cover on top. The other rust problem was that the muffler mount rusted and corroded the muffler, making a hole in it. That was not a huge deal to fix, but ran close to $200. Aside from that, my car's been here for 3 years and it's 12 years old without any other big issues.

The front wheel drive comment is spot on. If you're really worried about driving in the snow, you could invest in winter tires. If you get them locally, they'll change tires seasonally for you for free (I think), otherwise it gets a bit pricey, so investing in some junkyard rims might be a good idea.

How is the food at AA? I am a vegetarian. Is there enough variety? Also I am coming from a tropical country, how bearable is the cold? Any precautions, I should take before coming there. Also how is the housing option offcampus these days? Should one lease/rent a room near to university or far from it is good too because of shuttle service? I have an admit for fall 11 for University of Michigan.

How is the food at AA? I am a vegetarian. Is there enough variety? Also I am coming from a tropical country, how bearable is the cold? Any precautions, I should take before coming there. Also how is the housing option offcampus these days? Should one lease/rent a room near to university or far from it is good too because of shuttle service? I have an admit for fall 11 for University of Michigan.

Since you are from India, I'm guessing you won't be able to visit beforehand. You might want to just take the available grad school housing the University offers. I've heard it's not as nice as what you could get off-campus, but if your international it's not a bad idea for your first year.

As for the cold, I'm sure Ann Arbor has plenty of clothing/outdoor stores where you'll be able to buy winter clothing. It will probably be easier to do so there than in India, so you may as well just wait.

Hi sidarth, I am an international student from a tropical country that will possibly be moving to Ann Arbor in the Fall, so I've been checking it out as well. I agree with TransnationalHistory about getting your cold weather clothes when you come in August/September since it seems like the weather wouldn't be bad at that time. From what I've read, the weather can get pretty bad in the winter, with lots of snow and temperatures below 0, but I think it's something I can get used to.

As for vegetarian restaurants, here's a listing of vegetarian restaurants in Ann Arbor: http://www.annarbor....sine/vegetarian I haven't visited Ann Arbor yet, so I can't speak to the quality of those restaurants.

As for housing, if I do go to Michigan, the on-campus housing might be where I end up, since I believe to sign a lease in Ann Arbor, you or a representative have to physically inspect the property first and that may not be possible for me. From what I've seen, the University's on-campus housing for grad students (in Northwood apartments) tends to be more expensive than off-campus housing (I guess because of its proximity to campus), but I understand that the bus system is pretty reliable and the buses are frequent so it is doable to live not so close to campus and have to depend on the buses (as long as you live near the bus route). One concern I've seen is that the buses are not as frequent on weekends and at night, so if you need the bus during the winter, you might have to wait for a little out in the cold.

Edited by newms

I live in Canada, where it's even colder and I know tons of people who've come from India and other tropical countries and they've survived just fine :) You just need to buy warm clothes, and may not go outside as much in the winter (I sure don't), but I think you'll get used to it without too much trouble - the thing about the cold is you can always put on more layers and you'll be perfectly fine. On top of a warm jacket and some sweaters, having a hat that covers your ears (or a hat and earmuffs) and gloves is all I've really needed.

What is grocery shopping like if you don't have a car? I don't mind walking a bit, but I've heard that in some smaller places in the States having neighborhood grocery stores is rare, or sometimes there isn't a good selection of non-frozen foods like fresh produce. Also, any general advice as to where to buy groceries? What about the types of groceries you might not find in your average supermarket, for example, is there something like a Chinatown?

Thanks TransnationalHistory and newms!

I was not aware of the rule which stated that one needs to inspect in person the room/house! Maybe I would look out for some seniors from my school and stay with them for couple of weeks and then lease a room. Also I asked about weather because I like running/jogging a lot. I wish to continue that when I join the university. Offcourse one can do indoor in air conditioners but outdoor has its taste.

I would certainly try out the places you mentioned for food and may be learn a few tricks from home to cook edible things there :D. Also since I would be a "slave"( phd candidate lol), what are the average expenses/ cost of living there? I wish to be sure that I would manage on my own.

Thanks TransnationalHistory and newms!

I was not aware of the rule which stated that one needs to inspect in person the room/house! Maybe I would look out for some seniors from my school and stay with them for couple of weeks and then lease a room. Also I asked about weather because I like running/jogging a lot. I wish to continue that when I join the university. Offcourse one can do indoor in air conditioners but outdoor has its taste.

I would certainly try out the places you mentioned for food and may be learn a few tricks from home to cook edible things there :D. Also since I would be a "slave"( phd candidate lol), what are the average expenses/ cost of living there? I wish to be sure that I would manage on my own.

That rule is to protect you. It can be done anytime before you sign the lease. So you can do the inspection the day you move in, if you want. The idea is that you won't be charged for damage that existed before you moved in.

A lot of people run year round here. Layers are the key, and good, non-slippery shoes.

Cats or dogs? The Ann Arbor Cat Clinic on Packard is awesome and takes really good care of our cats. Dogs, I got nothin' for you.

Cats, thankyouverymuch! That does sound a little strange though. In my country you aren't legally allowed to exclude any species at a veterinary clinic.

Edited by surprisecake

Cats, thankyouverymuch! That does sound a little strange though. In my country you aren't legally allowed to exclude any species at a veterinary clinic.

<shrug> They specialize in cats, just as human doctors can specialize in OB or internal medicine or pediatrics. I suppose they could take care of dogs, but they don't, just as a cardiologist could catch a baby, but doesn't.

One of our cats died in January and they made a donation in his name to MSU's vet school. We love them.

Can somebody recommend a good veterinarian in AA?

Here's one clinic: http://annarboranimalhospital.com/

I can't say if it's good or bad, but looks respectable, so maybe worth trying?

What is grocery shopping like if you don't have a car? I don't mind walking a bit, but I've heard that in some smaller places in the States having neighborhood grocery stores is rare, or sometimes there isn't a good selection of non-frozen foods like fresh produce. Also, any general advice as to where to buy groceries? What about the types of groceries you might not find in your average supermarket, for example, is there something like a Chinatown?

Depends on where you live, but in general it's kind of a pain. You'd probably be able to take the bus to get to a store (Kroger, Busch's, Whole Foods), but that also limits how much stuff you can bring back. If you have a driver's license, zipcar -- renting a car by the hour -- may be a good idea.

There is no Chinatown, but there are some Asian grocery stores. I like Tsai Grocery. There is also one right by North campus and a couple more similar stores. Where to buy will potentially depend on where you live. Whole Foods has the better quality produce (most of the time) and is priced accordingly. The two Whole Foods stores are also not exactly close to campus. You could also try Busch's and Kroger. Kroger's the cheapest, but the quality may be worse.

Here's one clinic: http://annarboranimalhospital.com/

I can't say if it's good or bad, but looks respectable, so maybe worth trying?

Depends on where you live, but in general it's kind of a pain. You'd probably be able to take the bus to get to a store (Kroger, Busch's, Whole Foods), but that also limits how much stuff you can bring back. If you have a driver's license, zipcar -- renting a car by the hour -- may be a good idea.

There is no Chinatown, but there are some Asian grocery stores. I like Tsai Grocery. There is also one right by North campus and a couple more similar stores. Where to buy will potentially depend on where you live. Whole Foods has the better quality produce (most of the time) and is priced accordingly. The two Whole Foods stores are also not exactly close to campus. You could also try Busch's and Kroger. Kroger's the cheapest, but the quality may be worse.

Asian groceries are available in vast quantity and variety at a store on Washtenaw, just west of Ypsi. I've not been impressed by the Asian restaurants in A2, but I grew up in Seattle, with a huge International District (primarily Vietnamese and Korean) and readily-available, high-quality Japanese and Korean hole-in-the-wall restaurants. I haven't found good Thai here, though people seem to like Marnee and Siam Square.

Hiller's is a good grocery store, Michigan-owned. Their produce is excellent and I'd go to them over Whole Foods any day. There's a Hiller's on Washtenaw, at Arborland, maybe a 15 minute bus ride to central campus.

Moving on to a more frivolous topic....

What's your favorite restaurant(s)? Which restaurants do you think are overrated and/or disappointments? I'm interested in Ann Arbor and Ypsi, and primarily in the $20 and under category, as well as quick/cheap bites near campus for when I don't have it together to bring a lunch.