1) They accommodate married couples. Subsidized housing is available, but there's usually a long wait list. I lived there a year and paid $495/month for my rent, water, and Internet.

2) It's La Jolla. California's already an expensive place to live in, but the COL in La Jolla/SD is relatively more expensive. Cheaper places to live in would be Mira Mesa, Clairmont Mesa, University City, or near Hillcrest Medical Hospital (University Heights, Hillcrest, etc.).

3) Terrible. You do get a sticker for free transportation on select city buses. There are UCSD shuttles that cater to the neighborhoods around campus (especially the UTC area) and the grad housing, so no need to get a car unless you live somewhere not supported by the bus or shuttle system. You can take the 150 bus to downtown, if I remember correctly, otherwise you will need a car or a friend with a car.

4) Near campus? Not much. There are a few bars on campus (Porters Pub, the new sports bar near RIMAC) and a Peet's Coffee near the CVS by campus. Most students venture out a bit and hang out near Convoy (Kearney and Clairmont Mesa), downtown (Gaslamp, Hillcrest, East Village, etc.), the hipster areas (University Heights, Normal Heights, etc.), or near the beaches (La Jolla Cove, Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, etc.).

1) They accommodate married couples. Subsidized housing is available, but there's usually a long wait list. I lived there a year and paid $495/month for my rent, water, and Internet.

2) It's La Jolla. California's already an expensive place to live in, but the COL in La Jolla/SD is relatively more expensive. Cheaper places to live in would be Mira Mesa, Clairmont Mesa, University City, or near Hillcrest Medical Hospital (University Heights, Hillcrest, etc.).

3) Terrible. You do get a sticker for free transportation on select city buses. There are UCSD shuttles that cater to the neighborhoods around campus (especially the UTC area) and the grad housing, so no need to get a car unless you live somewhere not supported by the bus or shuttle system. You can take the 150 bus to downtown, if I remember correctly, otherwise you will need a car or a friend with a car.

4) Near campus? Not much. There are a few bars on campus (Porters Pub, the new sports bar near RIMAC) and a Peet's Coffee near the CVS by campus. Most students venture out a bit and hang out near Convoy (Kearney and Clairmont Mesa), downtown (Gaslamp, Hillcrest, East Village, etc.), the hipster areas (University Heights, Normal Heights, etc.), or near the beaches (La Jolla Cove, Pacific Beach, Ocean Beach, etc.).

Thanks, lots of good info in there.

1) That's an amazing price. Are you in a shared apartment? And which complex? I know they have a few, but from their website it looks like the waitlists for a lot of them are years long. Was that apartment building nice at all?

2/3) Are any of those neighborhoods walkable or bike-able to/from campus? It sounds like the shuttle system is pretty good and reliable, and my fiance has a car, but she will likely to need to drive to work as well. I'm really hoping we can manage with just one car between the two of us.

4) That's such a bad scenario. No bars nearby and no public transit to/from the bars. Do people usually just carpool with a DD when they go out?

There's also another thread for UC San Diego on here that y'all can check out too:

I have an invite to an open house at UCSD, so I've been following it pretty closely. I really hope that I'll be moving down there.

I think I want to try to get into one of the studios on campus (which I've heard have a really awful waiting list). Otherwise, I'll try to find an apartment somewhere near Hillcrest or Balboa Park.

Thanks, lots of good info in there.

1) That's an amazing price. Are you in a shared apartment? And which complex? I know they have a few, but from their website it looks like the waitlists for a lot of them are years long. Was that apartment building nice at all?

2/3) Are any of those neighborhoods walkable or bike-able to/from campus? It sounds like the shuttle system is pretty good and reliable, and my fiance has a car, but she will likely to need to drive to work as well. I'm really hoping we can manage with just one car between the two of us.

4) That's such a bad scenario. No bars nearby and no public transit to/from the bars. Do people usually just carpool with a DD when they go out?

1) graduate housing such as Mesa is comparatively old. however I know the rent is cheap. i know there is a new building by the medical / pharmacy school, but i'm not sure about the details. if you are looking for off-campus housing, like aforementioned posts, you can live in the UTC area where they have buses and school city shuttles to commute.

2) cost of living is about the same around the county or even the state, with the exception of housing. off-campus housing can be cheap and it depends how you work with it. you can rent a room for less than $500 a month if you live in a 3 bedroom apartment with 3 or more people. however, typically one bedroom apartment ranges from $1250 to +$1500 in UTC area.

3) this is southern california, and therefore buses are the major public transit. there are trolley in the county but there isn't a trolley station by UCSD until 2014/2016 (whatever that number is). again, it is california, you always need a car to get around. HOWEVER, if you are living by UTC area (or in graduate housing), you can always take the city shuttle (for the major off-campus locations) or campus loop (for grad housing). now, unlike UCLA where they have roads in the middle of the campus, there are only a road that separates the main campus and the medical & pharm school campus. therefore, if you are going to campus by any of the school shuttle, you will either get off the shuttle in a not-so-fancy bus station and walk around, or you'll have to sit on the campus loop that runs around / on the outside of the campus. most people choose to walk / bike / skate / whatever-applies-to-you to get around the campus. the campus have hills, too. therefore, sports sneakers are recommended. you can go to downtown SD by bus #30 and #150 from campus. 150 is the express version of 30 and it only runs between 6 or 7 am to roughly 7 pm on weekdays. #30 runs between 6/7am to roughly 1am everyday. however, during weekends, #30 stops at old town transit center instead of downtown SD, which is 5 to 10 minutes drive on local. it takes roughly half an hour or less to transit from campus to downtown SD by #150, but about at least an hour for #30 due to its route that passes through downtown La Jolla on local.

4) though i love the school, SD also stands for socially dead. with the majority of students are undergrads, they spend lesser time in social compare to other colleges due to lack of school spirits (e.g. no football team). the graduate student associate may be a good place to start. their lounge is right across a pub (yes, an on-campus pub) called Porter's Pub. in other words, there are drinking places on-campus and, for Porter's, it is quite popular by many grad students and some professors. along with another place called "the loft", they have concerts/shows once awhile that you can enjoy and have a good time with. if you need to drink off-campus, students tend to go to Pacific Beach (a.k.a. PB) and/or Ocean Beach for drinks. i believe you there is a bus to get there. I have been told that drunk (fist, street) fight can sometimes be found at PB in late night.

feel free to ask for other inputs from a person who wanna get outta UCSD as an undergrad.

Edited by aberrant

Next year I will be at the UCSD for ECE PhD. At least for my first year, I want to be near the campus. I had a look at the grad housing facilities and found Rita Atkinson Residences stylish and well-designed. Anyone staying or stayed at Rita Atkinson? I guess it is a pretty new accommodation. Is there any ongoing construction work?

Any advices will be appreciated.

I'm curious too about the Rita Atkinson apartments. They look gorgeous in all the literature. Anybody with first hand experience? The bad thing is they don't come with parking, so I guess you'd have to spend 60+ per month on a pass at one of the neighboring campus lots, which is lame since a big draw of Rita is its central location.

I was dating a girl living at Rita Atkinson before I moved to the Midwest for grad school. She seemed to really like it--at least that first month she moved in.

It's cheap, located on campus (rather than near Mesa/OMS), and has great facilities.

Hey everyone! I will be going to UCSD for a PhD in CSE. I took at the on-campus housing. Rita and Mesa seem to be more suited for me. Has anyone lived in both places and could share their experience?

Also, I am looking for a roommate. Let me know if you are interested :)

I have been waitlisted at USC but may be more likely to get in if I opt for the San Diego campus, which is actually in Rancho Bernardo. Does anyone know about this area? I am a recent college grad, but it seems to be more of a family town. Is this the case? How close is it to San Diego?

I have been waitlisted at USC but may be more likely to get in if I opt for the San Diego campus, which is actually in Rancho Bernardo. Does anyone know about this area? I am a recent college grad, but it seems to be more of a family town. Is this the case? How close is it to San Diego?

Rancho Bernardo is definitely the suburbs! I used to work as a nanny in one of the subdivisions and it is a FAMILY place, lots of parks, grocery stores, restaurants, but I am not sure that there is any sort of nightlife in the area. As a recent graduate you will probably be bored out of your mind if you live near there. That being said, you could always live elsewhere and commute to campus. Depending on your class schedule traffic can be tough, so you may need to consider that but, there are a lot of nice areas surrounding San Diego. Distance wise Rancho Bernardo is about 20-25 miles from San Diego. There are a lot of communities surrounding San Diego, and anything inland is going to be more FAMILY oriented (as rent is and houses are cheaper), so I would suggest looking at places closer to the beach. Also, since Rancho Bernardo is further inland it gets quite hot during the summer. Hope this helps and sorry to not shed a more positive light on the area.... let me know if you have any more questions.. good luck :)

What about motorcycles/mopeds in La Jolla? Would that be dangerous if I've never ridden one before? Gas/parking makes me lean towards that option instead of trying to find parking on campus...

Bumping for updates on living on and off-campus in San Diego. I'm considering UCSD for their MPIA program. Is anyone aware of the costs associated with living alone (1 bedroom) these days either close to campus (perhaps 10-15 minute walking distance) or on-campus? Any information is certainly appreciated. :)

FYI for the people who have read through this thread...some of the campus shuttle routes are no longer going to be running next year (including the hillcrest shuttle). They will no loner be providing the bus stickers, so you'll have to pay for a bus pass. So, unless you have a car, I would suggest trying to live near campus. 

Wow that sucks. Is there a list or map that shows which routes won't be running? And do you know how much a bus sticker costs? I'm debating whether that would be cheaper than driving and paying for parking at on campus, but I doubt it

I figured I would throw my opinion in here. I've lived in San Diego all my life. Honestly, I think it would be darn near impossible to not have a car in this city. The public transportation is not that great, especially in north county (which is where UCSD is). I would recommend living further from campus and commuting by car. However, if you plan on being a hermit and only doing school all the time (which seems fairly likely for a grad student), then you might get away with living on campus or very near campus and not getting a car. If you are into extracurricular stuff (nightlife, surfing, shopping), I highly recommend living in one of the places ewurgler recommended (North Park and Hillcrest I LOVE), or Clairemont which is cheaper, and getting a car.

I've heard really different opinions on night life in SD. While I doubt ill have that much time, any opinions about the scene in SD for a person who likes live music and dive bars more than clubs?

In addition to Mesa and Rita apartments which people mentioned above, any thoughts on living in One Miramar would also be appreciated!

I just got into USD for MA in School Counseling. I live in IL so I would be relocating. What are good areas that grad students/ young adults live in that are 100% safe? Safety is #1 for a single female living alone

I've heard really different opinions on night life in SD. While I doubt ill have that much time, any opinions about the scene in SD for a person who likes live music and dive bars more than clubs?

I'd recommend Ocean Beach for good dive bars. Pacific Beach is not really clubby compared to Downtown buuuut it's definitely college-centered / party vibes. Not divey (though it *looks* divey). You can get great live music at 710 from time to time though.

I'm not too familiar with the other neighborhoods but have heard great things! Ocean Beach, Pacific Beach, and La Jolla was where I spent most of my time due to living in La Jolla as an undergrad at UCSD.

Edited by mp429

Bumping for updates on living on and off-campus in San Diego. I'm considering UCSD for their MPIA program. Is anyone aware of the costs associated with living alone (1 bedroom) these days either close to campus (perhaps 10-15 minute walking distance) or on-campus? Any information is certainly appreciated. :)

im a fifth-year UCSD undergrad. costs for a single near campus will cost around $750-$900. some of the popular apartments are costa verde, the venetian, costa verde towers, regents court, international gardens, pines la jolla, and la jolla terrace. i found my place through craigslist and going in person and talking to the land lady.

FYI for the people who have read through this thread...some of the campus shuttle routes are no longer going to be running next year (including the hillcrest shuttle). They will no loner be providing the bus stickers, so you'll have to pay for a bus pass. So, unless you have a car, I would suggest trying to live near campus. 

ACTUALLY, they recently postponed any shuttle changes that were going to occur next year indefinitely. not saying that they won't happen but i know for at least a year, they won't.

but I've heard parking near/on-campus is really challenging?

yeah it really is, especially for undergrads. but i think graduate students get B-spot parking permits and there are usually quite a few on campus.