Recommended Posts

13 minutes ago, nevermind said:

I think making friends is totally up to you. There are plenty of ways of getting involved on campus and there are departmental things that you can participate in (some fields/cohorts are more social than others), but there are opportunities. You will probably have to make an effort. :)

 

Sounds logic!

Thank you very much! I´m attending the Open House in March and am so excited about it! Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When is the best time to start looking? Outside of La Jolla which are the safest and most affordable neighborhoods that are easy commutes to UCSD (I will have a car, but prefer public transportation. I am open to driving to school, however.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, geologyninja13 said:

I was accepted to San Diego State University, but with a stipend of 9,900 per YEAR. Can I live in San Diego on that without taking out student loans?

Are you talking purely for rent? Depends on your circumstances if you want roommates or not. Most apartments range 1 bedroom in SD from 1,000-2,000 a month.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, geologyninja13 said:

I was accepted to San Diego State University, but with a stipend of 9,900 per YEAR. Can I live in San Diego on that without taking out student loans?

Without other sources of funding, it's not likely. I think that puts you below the poverty line, so you might be eligible for food stamps or some other assistance. But housing is extremely expensive here (I share an apartment with my boyfriend and we pay $1500 a month...so my share is $750), so your stipend *might* take care of housing, but not anything else. :/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/23/2017 at 2:36 PM, heyou said:

When is the best time to start looking? Outside of La Jolla which are the safest and most affordable neighborhoods that are easy commutes to UCSD (I will have a car, but prefer public transportation. I am open to driving to school, however.)

Summer is a good time to start looking around La Jolla since it's got a huge student population and leases will be up last Spring/Summer. I know UCSD has on-campus grad housing, but if you're looking for neighborhoods off campus I remember Hillcrest being particularly popular. Also, there should be buses that take you from a bunch of places around La Jolla to campus via the San Diego public transport system. (Source: undergrad at UCSD)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, siitrasn said:

Summer is a good time to start looking around La Jolla since it's got a huge student population and leases will be up last Spring/Summer. I know UCSD has on-campus grad housing, but if you're looking for neighborhoods off campus I remember Hillcrest being particularly popular. Also, there should be buses that take you from a bunch of places around La Jolla to campus via the San Diego public transport system. (Source: undergrad at UCSD)

 

This is true. Hillcrest is a good option. I live in North Park and it also seems to have a large grad student population. Parking at UCSD can kind of be a source of frustration from what I've heard...I take a bus to the HIllcrest shuttle (it goes from the UCSD Medical Center up to the LaJolla campus), which is a bit of a hassle, but I get work done on the bus, so it works out. (If I'm particularly lazy, I take a Lyft to the UCSD shuttle.)

Hope that helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, nevermind said:

This is true. Hillcrest is a good option. I live in North Park and it also seems to have a large grad student population. Parking at UCSD can kind of be a source of frustration from what I've heard...I take a bus to the HIllcrest shuttle (it goes from the UCSD Medical Center up to the LaJolla campus), which is a bit of a hassle, but I get work done on the bus, so it works out. (If I'm particularly lazy, I take a Lyft to the UCSD shuttle.)

Hope that helps!

Yep, North Park is a good area as well! Totally slipped my mind.

Parking is an absolute nightmare at UCSD, with a lot of the cheaper parking spots (B spots?) being far away from buildings way out in the parking lots. It's a huge campus so you'd be walking a bit from where you park, unless you get lucky. Although, since I graduated in 2012, I heard they've built a a new parking complex near Sixth or something like that.

Also, as nevermind mentioned the shuttles can be pretty convenient. I don't remember 100% since it's been a few years, but don't they have wifi so longer commutes can be time to work?

Edited by siitrasn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, siitrasn said:

Also, as nevermind mentioned the shuttles can be pretty convenient. I don't remember 100% since it's been a few years, but don't they have wifi so longer commutes can be time to work?

 

If it does, it doesn't work that well. I use the hot spot on my phone to connect to wifi if I needed it. Usually, I just read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now