enoksrd

Madison, WI

Guest ogo

this may be a personal taste, but are any small cafes and 'sit and study' type establisments near campus?

I've decided to go to Wisconsin-Madision for my Ph.D. studies. Can anyone tell me something about which part is a better place to live for grad students (not too loud; not too many parties; cheap rent). how much does a three-bedroom apt usually cost? That's what I'm thinking, sharing a three-bedroom apt, coz i suppose that would help save money. (if anyone would like to start up a group now, that would be great) plus, i'm going to the school of journalism and mass comm. if anyone knows about this school, i'm definitely interested in learning more about it. thanks.

For a 3 bedroom expect to pay about $1000. For quieter areas of campus, look towards the near east side (Jenifer St/Willy St area) or University Heights/Old University Ave. area. Both of these areas are quieter than the undergrad areas downtown (which are generally noisier). Both areas are a short (10 min.) bus ride to campus, you can also bike to campus from these areas pretty easily.

Guest Nash

hi. i'll be a phd student in econ at wisconsin. i came straight from ug, but i'm not used to 1) noise; 2) partying; 3) public drunkeness. is there any place on or near (Walking distance) from campus for grad students only? i'm looking for a 1 bedroom apartment costing about 600 per month (heat included) - and AC would also be nice.

Try the Old University Ave/University Heights area. It's on the near west side of town (west side of campus) near the med school. Lots of grad students, profs, and older undergrads live there. Lots of student apt buildings there, populated with older students. The near east side is good too, quieter, but a bit farther away from campus.

The campus' CIVC website has a good apartment-hunting website, http://housing.civc.wisc.edu/search.asp

Good luck!

Guest Nash

is the east side near the William H. Sewell Social Science Building? I don't think I'll bring a car, so being in walking distance is important. When is everyone going to move in?

i've checked out the CIVC site. but the ones i'm looking for are so expensive to me, and a lot of are looking for women roomies :-( right now, i'm living in a three-bedroom apt and the three of us pay 700 per month totally for the rent (excluding utilities and all). so i was expecting to find below $300 per person rent in a 2-to-4-bedroom apt. is it possible? i'm thinking of moving in around mid-august. i could move in earlier in june or july if there are good deals avaiable. jennesy, do you know where the Vilas Hall (821 University Avenue) is. is to on the east or west side of the campus?

I'm currently looking for an apartment on the East Side of Madison with my fiance...

We have some requirements such as needing W/D or W/D hookups, need two parking spaces, looking for a nice one or possibly two bedroom place.

I've found the Trafalgar Apartments, its near the airport and very close to the East Side Park and Ride. Does anyone know anything positive or negative about this complex or how noise complaints are about living close to the airport?

Thanks! :D

Guest Guest

There is an article about animal abuse in UW laboratories (http://www.stopanimaltests.com/f-worstlabs_01.asp) that begins "It’s tempting to call the University of Wisconsin-Madison the nexus of evil in the world, but we’ll simply call it the worst animal-abusing university in the country."

some people in the uni are, but there stomped down nowadays by the corrupt conservative money-grubbing administration and the town is definately not liberal.

Madison2006=$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Most people move in/out around Aug. 14-16, that's when the leases generally end and start up again. Most leases in Madison run for one year, starting around Aug. 14-16.

I doubt you'll be able to find a 3-bedroom close to campus for $700/mo. A one bedroom near campus is $550-600. Expect to pay at least $900-1000/mo for a 3-bedroom.

The Social Sciences building and Vilas hall are both in the "middle" of campus, but closer to the east side than west (where the med school/engineering buildings are). Both of these buildings are accessible by bus and bike from the near east side (the airport is a bit far from campus, you'll need to drive or bus in every day).

Guest Nash

Please post Apt Building names that have great management - andare for grad only. I'm looking for anything 15 minutes walk from east campus.

Guest guest

I have some brochures that my department gave me when I visited - things like "Housing in Madison" etc. I keep seeing suggestions for "Where to stay in Madison while you're looking for housing" lists, which kind of worry me - is it impossible to find a place to live WITHOUT visiting?! I'm coming from CA and flights there are kinda pricey...I know it's not the BEST method of finding housing (it would be nice to see where I'd be living....ehhh) but I don't really know if it's feasible.

Also, how late is too late to secure a lease? Are there still apts available as late as June-July? There must be some, right? :shock:

Guest, you're not in Comm Arts, by any chance, are you?

And the website said that lots of people don't sign leases until the summer, so it sounds like we don't need to be worried about waiting a while longer. Can any Madisonites (Madisonians?) confirm that?

As for finding a place without visiting, though...I know people who have done that and had to move out within the first couple of weeks because of rats, etc. Not in Madison, but still...

I'm hopefully getting very lucky with my housing search. My fiance and I just applied for an apartment complex that seems really good, but a bit far (~6 miles from my department)...I'll deal with it! Hopefully we will get approved. The complex answered all of our questions via email and telephone and also sent us detailed pictures of the unit and the complex. They only have one unit open and they will be holding it for us until August (this was the only thing that raised red flags to us...), so if he finds a job a bit early, we may be able to move up the lease a few weeks or month early.

Guest Anon

If people are looking to live relatively close to campus (within 2 miles or so), I think it would be very tough to get an apartment when you show up in the summer. Most of the leases for next fall are signed between February and April. When I first moved to Madison, I came in early July to find housing for August and the pickings were slim close to campus--I really only had one acceptable choice (i.e., wasn't 8 miles away, wasn't in an undergrad hole). At the very least, I'd recommend that people try to find someplace from afar now--don't wait!

Guest bighark_nli
does anyone know any informal forums where students in uw-m post info about seeking roommates? i know some schools have such sites. thanks.

I don't about a UW-M based forum, but you might want to check out craigslist.org's Madison page.

Guest fred

Hi everyone. If you are going to UW, beware of the professors that don't like to be shown up by more talented students. If you pretend you suck and dont mind crappy professors they might not screw you over.

The Madison thread seems to have died since the 2006 season, any more information about the city in the last couple years?

I haven't seen any mention about ethnic/asian restaurants in Madison, does anyone know of any good ones in the city?

I know rent here in Austin has been increasing over the last couple years, has a similar effect been happening in Madison? What do rents look like now days for studio/one-bedroom?

Hi janusnori,

I've lived in Madison for four and a half years, two and a half of those as a graduate student. Reading through this thread I'm amazed at all the negative comments Madison got! I *love* this town. Yeah, it's quirky, but I absolutely love it. It's small but big enough to be entertaining, it's cheap, and it's fun.

As for good ethnic/asian restaurants, there are a few. Perhaps the most well-known is Himal Chuli on State St. It's sister restaurant, Chautara, is also Himalayan food and is owned by the same people. There are a number of decent Indian restaurants, including one just a few blocks from campus (Maharani, I think?). There are two Afghani restaurants that are decent, one Ethiopian that's okay (doesn't compare to the ones in Boston), and a number of Thai and Indonesian restaurants. We have a disproportionate number of ethnic restaurants for a city our size.

As for rent, when I was a Master's student here I had a studio/one bedroom (it was one big room and one big eat-in kitchen) with all utilities included for $550/month. Coming from Boston, where I paid $550/month for my share of a hole in the wall, it seemed awesome. The apartment I have now is a nice two bedroom for $920/month (heat included) and the rent hasn't changed since 2005. Right now my boyfriend and I are both PhD students, but housing in the town is affordable enough that we are buying a house next week. Having lived all my life on the east coast, the idea of being able to afford a house while in grad school is somewhat outrageous to me, but I'm thrilled. But the people who move from rural Wisconsin to Madison think the housing is outrageously expensive (which it is, compared to the rural areas).

Also, when you say UWM in your post, do you mean UW-Milwaukee? That's what we traditionally call UWM. The school in Madison is called UW-Madison. I have no idea who made that distinction or why...

I was an undergrad here, then came back in a different field for graduate school. This is my fourth and last year of coursework in the Communication Arts program. I've always loved this city. I love the balance between small town and city feel. There are plenty of cultural events available for me, and the city is drivable without being overwhelming. It's more liberal than anywhere I've ever lived, and is especially friendly toward LGBT people (IMO). You end up with a mix of preppy business people and people who still think it's the 1960s (especially on the east side near Williamson Street!). It works for me.

The apartment prices I've seen listed are pretty accurate. I paid $775 total, including heat, utilities and parking, for a one bedroom within 15-minute walking distance of campus. My friend paid $550 for a large studio with separate kitchen, about 3 blocks farther away. Now we're sharing a huge 3-bedroom that's going for $1000 total. It's 1.5 miles from campus, so I can walk if I feel like it, but usually take the bus. To me, the bus system is very convenient, especially since it's free to students. The only bad side is they don't run very late on weekends. I only use my car for grocery shopping and the laundromat, and the occasional Target run. It's expensive to park anywhere near campus, and street parking off-campus is a *huge* pain in the winter. I highly recommend finding an apartment with off-street parking. I see people bicycling all winter, even through the snow, so I guess that's possible. I will say that you want to sign a lease ASAP. Most are signed in February or March. I found my apartment in May and was a bit surprised at how nice it was, actually. It's just the way this city works.

I've been a T.A. my entire time here, and have lived on that stipend plus a part-time job at a campus computer lab (8 hours/week) and summer jobs without getting additional loans. It's not a rich life by any means, but comfortable for me. I'm used to getting by on that kind of money. The computer lab job is the best you'll find, by the way - I spend most of my time reading for seminars or surfing the Internet.

In the end, if you're coming from a big city and expecting the same, you will be disappointed. It all depends on what you're looking for. I'd be more concerned about your department and where it's headed. Mine changed drastically in my time here - very different place 4 years later.

There's a good change I will be going UW-Madison. I will be moving from Boston. When is the best time to make a trip out there to search for an apartment? I was planning on going out in April to see the school and meet profs in my dept and then going to look for an apartment in the summer. Would this work?

Hi janusnori,

I've lived in Madison for four and a half years, two and a half of those as a graduate student. Reading through this thread I'm amazed at all the negative comments Madison got! I *love* this town. Yeah, it's quirky, but I absolutely love it. It's small but big enough to be entertaining, it's cheap, and it's fun.

As for good ethnic/asian restaurants, there are a few. Perhaps the most well-known is Himal Chuli on State St. It's sister restaurant, Chautara, is also Himalayan food and is owned by the same people. There are a number of decent Indian restaurants, including one just a few blocks from campus (Maharani, I think?). There are two Afghani restaurants that are decent, one Ethiopian that's okay (doesn't compare to the ones in Boston), and a number of Thai and Indonesian restaurants. We have a disproportionate number of ethnic restaurants for a city our size.

As for rent, when I was a Master's student here I had a studio/one bedroom (it was one big room and one big eat-in kitchen) with all utilities included for $550/month. Coming from Boston, where I paid $550/month for my share of a hole in the wall, it seemed awesome. The apartment I have now is a nice two bedroom for $920/month (heat included) and the rent hasn't changed since 2005. Right now my boyfriend and I are both PhD students, but housing in the town is affordable enough that we are buying a house next week. Having lived all my life on the east coast, the idea of being able to afford a house while in grad school is somewhat outrageous to me, but I'm thrilled. But the people who move from rural Wisconsin to Madison think the housing is outrageously expensive (which it is, compared to the rural areas).

Also, when you say UWM in your post, do you mean UW-Milwaukee? That's what we traditionally call UWM. The school in Madison is called UW-Madison. I have no idea who made that distinction or why...

I grew up in Madison and currently live in the Twin Cities. I have a deep love for Upper Midwestern cities, especially Madison, Twin Cities, Milwaukee and Chicago and would recommend any of those cities to anyone. Yes, it's cold and snows in the winter, so if you can't handle that, you probably can't handle the Midwest in general. If you're looking for martini bars and clubs, Madison's probably not the place for you. But if you'd like farmers markets, coffee shops, laid-back bars, and lakes, it's perfect! I remember when growing up people always like to say that Madison has the most restaurants per capita than any other city in the country. Not sure if that's technically true, but if feels true. I'm a big fan of the Weary Traveler on Willy Street.