SSHRC 2011

transboundary

yes, I contacted the University and the papers were sent, and I contacted SSHRC and they've received all the paperwork but they haven't processed anything yet. Anyone else waiting to get their first payment?

are you sure your university sent their papers on to the SSHRC? sometimes they're the ones holding the process up.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still waiting, but now it is the university that's holding things up. My start date was May 1st. I called SSHRC and they said they sent the payments to my university on June 9th. I called my Grad office and, initially, they said the mail strike held things up. Now, it is administrative; they said maybe - sigh - maybe this Friday. I know my fingers are crossed....

yes, I contacted the University and the papers were sent, and I contacted SSHRC and they've received all the paperwork but they haven't processed anything yet. Anyone else waiting to get their first payment?

• 5 weeks later...

Is there a best strategy for getting info from SSHRC? I emailed wanting information on where I was ranked on my subgroup waiting list but received a response saying, essentially, that they were too busy to do it. I know people have gotten this information so I am just curious as to how you did it.

Many thanks.

I've been wondering exactly this. I have called and emailed and they said the same thing. Is it possible that they've changed policy and this year (our good luck) no longer respond to such queries? Incidentally, I've been meaning to ask if anyone has any reports of the waitlist moving?

"Is there a best strategy for getting info from SSHRC? I emailed wanting information on where I was ranked on my subgroup waiting list but received a response saying, essentially, that they were too busy to do it. I know people have gotten this information so I am just curious as to how you did it.

Many thanks."

<p class="rep_bar clearfix right" id="rep_post_266387" style="margin-top: 6px; margin-right: 4px; margin-bottom: 6px; margin-left: 4px; padding-top: 0px; padding-right: 0px; padding-bottom: 0px; padding-left: 0px; float: right; white-space: nowrap; ">

hey, i found out early on by email that i was 3rd on waiting list but asked for an update and whether waiting lists have moved and they told me they would email if anything changed, so i think they have changed their policy from last year. would be nice to know WHEN the waiting lists might move though if anyone else wants to bug them :)

has anyone who is getting their award in august, in two large installments, received their cheque yet? i'm not entirely sure my school put the paperwork through correctly (or at all) and i don't want to have to put my rent on my credit card next month.

I'm still waiting... and I've got a May start date. I've called SSHRC and the payment was transferred to my university in July. I've been told that I may not get my payment until September (mine is divided in 3 installments paid at the beginning of each semester, so I may end up getting two payments in September). I asked for an advance payment for early August but the university refused. This sucks - I quit my job when I found out about the scholarship and I've had to watch every penny I've spent since, when I'm supposed to be able to relax a little, concentrate on my studies, and not worry about money. I wasn't expecting to get paid until mid to late June and had budgeted for that, but September is getting ridiculous.... I wished I had known in advance about delays in payments. And I agree, payment terms should be standardized.

I'm still waiting, but now it is the university that's holding things up. My start date was May 1st. I called SSHRC and they said they sent the payments to my university on June 9th. I called my Grad office and, initially, they said the mail strike held things up. Now, it is administrative; they said maybe - sigh - maybe this Friday. I know my fingers are crossed....

Is there a best strategy for getting info from SSHRC? I emailed wanting information on where I was ranked on my subgroup waiting list but received a response saying, essentially, that they were too busy to do it. I know people have gotten this information so I am just curious as to how you did it.

Many thanks.

Email your Member of Parliament and tell them to stop cutting funding for basic social science research... then SSHRC would have more money for administrative staff. ;)

Wow... lucky you! My May start date has still not been paid, and I'm in Canada!!! but I suppose yours is being paid directly by SSHRC, so you don't have to deal with your university as well...

to anyone awaiting their cheques from outside of canada, mine arrived in the US (pennsylvania) this morning. i had requested a september start date.

I've won the SSHRC for this year and submitted all the paperwork. They say they are going to pay me monthly. Does anyone know what day of the month we get that? It would be lovely to know if I will have it Sept 1st or Sept 30.

Cheers!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For those of you who received a Masters SSHRC, would you be willing to share GPA, publications, presentations, relevant experience etc. that you had in your application? I'm in my final year of my undergrad and am in the midst of applying for a SSHRC for my Masters next fall. It would be awesome to hear what it took to be successful last year. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I received notice in May I had been "waitlisted" for the PhD competition and was assigned a rank of 14.8. I assume 14.8 is way down the list so I’m not holding out much hope. I just submitted my application for 2012 and it's much stronger, I think. But I still can’t help grasping for a remote chance for 2011, however slim. Please may I ask those “waitlisted” people who got good news, what was your rank? Do I still have a chance of receiving an award for the 2011 competition?

• 2 weeks later...

forensicfatale --- I got a SSHRC CGS for the 2nd year of my Masters (2010/11).

Undergrad GPA: 4.15

Grad GPA: 4.0

Related work experience: quite a bit (~ 5 years related work and some part-time undergrad teaching)

Publications and conferences: none (a major hole in my application, I think)

Program of Study: hardest I’ve ever worked on a two-page document

I was “waitlisted” for a SSHRC PhD Award for 2011/12 (no joy, yet). My application for 2012 is in.... fingers crossed.