SSHRC 2011

transboundary

On the topic of declined fellowships being equivalent to listing schools you rejected, do list them if you won something extraordinary.

For example, I won the UTF (standard Toronto grant) but then I also won the Chancellor Jackman Scholarship for the Humanities (a nice exclusive little topup.)

So I put that on my CV even though I turned down Toronto for a better-for-me place, because the Jackman is extra and above.

did you go to toronto? if so, it's fine. if not, you shouldn't have put it on your CV, in my opinion.

did you go to toronto? if so, it's fine. if not, you shouldn't have put it on your CV, in my opinion.

My grad chair specifically told us that we could and should list major entrance awards at schools we didn't go to as "declined" on our SSHRC applications. I didn't, but there are definitely professors who encourage the practice, so it's not a no-no.

My grad chair specifically told us that we could and should list major entrance awards at schools we didn't go to as "declined" on our SSHRC applications. I didn't, but there are definitely professors who encourage the practice, so it's not a no-no.

Interesting. I can see it as a possibility in some respects, when it's a competitive fellowship that shows a certain committee thought you had some serious merit. But my question there is did the chair encourage you to put it on the application awards section, or your CV? I'd find the latter a tad strange.

Edited by Canuckonomist

Interesting. I can see it as a possibility in some respects, when it's a competitive fellowship that shows a certain committee thought you had some serious merit. But my question there is did the chair encourage you to put it on the application awards section, or your CV? I'd find the latter a tad strange.

In the awards section, marked "Declined". And yes, only for competitive, major entrance scholarships--more like "Oh and by the way the U of T tried to recruit me with this amazing thing", less like "the school where I did my undergrad offered me $500 and a TAship to stick around".

In the awards section, marked "Declined". And yes, only for competitive, major entrance scholarships--more like "Oh and by the way the U of T tried to recruit me with this amazing thing", less like "the school where I did my undergrad offered me $500 and a TAship to stick around".

See--and this is just my personal opinion--that's why I think entrance scholarships are disregarded by reviewers: Everybody knows that, to some extent, they're a bribe attempt, not something that one gets after a serious competition (like SSHRC and OGS).

See--and this is just my personal opinion--that's why I think entrance scholarships are disregarded by reviewers: Everybody knows that, to some extent, they're a bribe attempt, not something that one gets after a serious competition (like SSHRC and OGS).

I don't understand your logic here. In this way, entrance scholarships are just as great an indicator as provincial/national awards. You submit an application, and they see how good you are, so they try to out-bid other universities to bring you. Competitions say that one committee thought you were worthy. Major entrance scholarships that are used to bid for students indicate that university XX with a certain academic ranking thought you were stellar enough to bid for. To me, that's just as good.

I would make a better argument, but I've got a mild migraine, and I think I'll go lie down.

Edited by Canuckonomist

• 1 month later...

Around this time last year, I received a letter from my University informing me that my application was not being put forward to SSHRC. I have not heard anything yet, and I was wondering if anyone had, or if anyone knows whether or not they let you know if your application IS being put forward?

Thanks!

Around this time last year, I received a letter from my University informing me that my application was not being put forward to SSHRC. I have not heard anything yet, and I was wondering if anyone had, or if anyone knows whether or not they let you know if your application IS being put forward?

Thanks!

I'm a bit worried as well. I'm at U of T, currently 1st year PhD. When I was sent on from my MA university I had heard sometime around late November. Likewise, my girlfriend had heard from U of T that she was sent on around the last week of November. I talked briefly to my department's graduate secretary about it and she seemed to indicate that they were behind this year. That was around December 1st or so. I got the impression, however, that she was avoiding telling me bad news, but that may be the SSHRC paranoia setting in early this year. I think the universities have to send their lists to SSHRC by February 2nd, so we should be hearing either way by then at the latest.

Thanks!

I believe they let you know, yeah. I'm at UWO, but I assume it's a fairly universal procedure...? I got an email in mid-November (I think) from my department letting me know my application had been passed along to the School of Graduate Studies. This morning I got my rejection from them -- hence why I'm on these forums now. However, when I was approved last year, I also got a message from them around this date letting me know I was entering the provincial level of competition.

Good luck!

are there different timelines for the MA or PhD awards? my sense from reading the older threads is that MAs were notified in november and PhDs in late january/early february, but i don't really know.

it's times like these i wish i was at a canadian university. no one at my school will be able to offer any inside info on this. i'll just have to wait on the snail mail. i better grow my fingernails long so i can chew them off for the next few months.

Thanks!

I was notified by email today that my application will be forwarded (SFU).

I'm at UWO, and I got my notice today from the School of Graduate Studies that my proposal was moving on the the national competition. Last year I received the notice from SSHRC first (on January 22) that they had received my application from UWO. So, I suppose everything starts rolling right about now!

No word from my university (not at all shocking given their level of organization) but I received this e-mail today:

The Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council acknowledges receipt of your application to the Doctoral Awards Program.

Your application number is: -----------. Please use it in all communications with SSHRC.

Please DO NOT direct questions or concerns regarding your application to this email address.

Instead, if you have any questions or require any further information, please contact us at fellowships@sshrc.ca.

The result of this competition will be sent by mail to the correspondence address provided in your application. Please provide us with any changes to your address by sending an email to fellowships@sshrc.ca.

Note: There is no document attached to this message. Depending on your software, it may appear as though there is an attachment. If so, please ignore the message.

I assume that this means that my application was forwarded with the recommendation of being offered a SSHRC, am I correct in making this assumption?

i don't know, but i'd lean on the side of being incorrect.

i received that exact email a week after i submitted my application. i sent my application directly to the SSHRC, not through a university, because i'm at an american school. i don't know what it means for you that you're getting the email now, but i received that back in november.

I got that same e-mail, and I just got it now as well. I suspect that it has something to do with the applicaion being forwarded from the graduate division at your university.

Yes, me too. This means that your university's grad department has decided the application is worth sending to SSHRC, and the decision is now in Ottawa's hands. So congratulations...we've passed the first hurdle, at least!

OOOHHHH. sorry. i've never applied to the SSHRC from inside canada, so i didn't realize what stage we were talking about.

so in canada, you need to make it out of your department, then out of your university, and then once you're in ottawa, it's A class or B class. B class is no funding, A class is consideration for funding. and then some people in the A class get funding.

right?

jesus. i'm glad i got to skip most of that. congrats to all of you that were sent onto ottawa!

I am also going to Ottawa! For people applying from Canadian universities, that email confirms that you're now in the national competition ie have left your university. If you want to check your university stats: http://www.sshrc-crsh.gc.ca/results-resultats/stats-statistiques/index-eng.aspx

People not applying through a Canadian university got that email in the fall, because that's when the mailman brough your application to SSHRC, but you have to go through the "coming from outside" first hurdle. You should get a letter at the end of February to confirm you're now in the national competition if I remember correctly from last year.

The waiting could go until December 2011 so don't start waiting now! It's a marathon ;)

Best of luck!

I just received an email from the school of graduate studies at Queen's about my SSHRC status so far, and I was forwarded as an alternate.

Here its is:

The SSHRC subcommittee of the School of Graduate Studies and Research met recently to adjudicate the University’s submissions for the 2011-2012 SSHRC Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS) - Master's competition. Queen’s University was only permitted to submit 31 university nominees for this competition. You were placed on the "Alternate Candidates List", which means that your application has been sent forward to SSHRC for their consideration. It is possible that some candidates from the alternate list may eventually be offered an award in the event of declined awards.

SSHRC will contact successful candidates on the "Alternate Candidates List", as declined awards become available.

Will the 31 mentioned here all get awards?

Also, is there a difference between being an 'alternate' among Queen's submissions and an 'alternate' for an actual SSHRC award? Does SSHRC have to reassess my alternate status, or am I officially on the list to get an award and just have to wait for enough people decline SSHRCs?

Is it weird that my app got forwarded from the university for SSHRC but not OGS? I suspect that might have something to do with eligibility, but... man, who knows. I think it's weird. About a third of the SSHRC apps from U of Toronto got forwarded, so I'll just count my blessings.

Edited by aselfmadewinter