SSHRC 2011

transboundary

Will the 31 mentioned here all get awards?

Also, is there a difference between being an 'alternate' among Queen's submissions and an 'alternate' for an actual SSHRC award? Does SSHRC have to reassess my alternate status, or am I officially on the list to get an award and just have to wait for enough people decline SSHRCs?

Are you applying for an MA SSHRC or a PhD?

Is it weird that my app got forwarded from the university for SSHRC but not OGS? I suspect that might have something to do with eligibility, but... man, who knows. I think it's weird. About a third of the SSHRC apps from U of Toronto got forwarded, so I'll just count my blessings.

My understanding is that everyone gets forwarded for OGS but schools send rankings in to OGS, but I am not 100% sure. Some departments have been known to arrange their rankings in odd ways to try to maximize the number of their students who get awards. So they rank their "best" three students at 1-2-3 for SSHRC and then at 4-5-6 for OGS so that the fourth, fifth and sixth "best" students get ranked 1-2-3 for OGS. The logic is that this increases the odds of the top six students all getting some internal funding... of course it risks screwing over some very good students. Personally I think that trying to figure out how the external awards number game works is just stupid, but that's me.

Yeah, I thought that was how it worked until I checked my OGS status and found out that my application had never been received and that I was disqualified. I think I may have been ineligible because I applied through St. Michael's at U of T and their PhD program is ineligible for OGS. Whatever, I'm not gonna overthink it.

Also, is there a difference between being an 'alternate' among Queen's submissions and an 'alternate' for an actual SSHRC award? Does SSHRC have to reassess my alternate status, or am I officially on the list to get an award and just have to wait for enough people decline SSHRCs?

I'm not sure about your second question, but at the Master's level, basically every application forwarded by the university gets an award (to my understanding). So the 31 spots for Queen's University should all be getting SSHRC funding. Good luck!

I just received an email from the school of graduate studies at Queen's about my SSHRC status so far, and I was forwarded as an alternate.

Here its is:

The SSHRC subcommittee of the School of Graduate Studies and Research met recently to adjudicate the University’s submissions for the 2011-2012 SSHRC Canada Graduate Scholarships (CGS) - Master's competition. Queen’s University was only permitted to submit 31 university nominees for this competition. You were placed on the "Alternate Candidates List", which means that your application has been sent forward to SSHRC for their consideration. It is possible that some candidates from the alternate list may eventually be offered an award in the event of declined awards.

SSHRC will contact successful candidates on the "Alternate Candidates List", as declined awards become available.

Wow, it's as though they are trying to be ambiguous! I think you can find out how many spots Queen's in entitled to each year. I believe that every school can forward a certain number of applications for a certain number of scholarships.

BTW- thanks to everyone for their replies- I got a notice from my school on Monday- bad news on the most depressing day of the year to boot!

Fingers crossed for OGS for all those eligible and unsuccessful with SSHRC!

i have a database of successful national grants to compare my work to.

That's very smart... and will definitely come in handy in the future eh..? I have a CV folder.. whenever I come across nice CVs of recent graduates I save them.

I'm starting to get nervous. I was wait-listed last year, and I'm thinking that it might've been a bit arrogant to think that I'd automatically be sent to Ottawa again. I haven't yet heard from my school, and I'll be really crushed if I wasn't forwarded... I'm not going to lie.

It's far too early to be stressing over SSHRC, last year was torture lol. As soon as I got back from the holidays my nerves over it started up again.

Good luck everyone <3

Apparently my university is quicker than others...I found out that I was passed on to the national Doctoral competition in mid-December! Congrats to all who have heard so far, and good luck to us all in the next round!

Has anyone heard anything from the Masters CGS results from York U? If not from the university itself, has any York students received an email from SSHRC about the status of their application?

Thanks!

I'm at York - I'm not sure if there has been notification from the university (I haven't checked my department mailbox in a while), but I got the e-mail from SSHRC today.

EDIT: Oh, and I should add that I'm a PhD student. Not sure if that makes a difference in notification.

Edited by Felan

M.Sc. student at Ottawa U here applying for PhD funding for next year. Received a letter from the university indicating that I was not forwarded on to SSHRC. Thus, if you haven't received an email yet - its not a good sign. Good luck to everyone who has applied!

I'm at York - I'm not sure if there has been notification from the university (I haven't checked my department mailbox in a while), but I got the e-mail from SSHRC today.

EDIT: Oh, and I should add that I'm a PhD student. Not sure if that makes a difference in notification.

I am too a York student who hasn't heard anything. However, I am a final year York history undergrad applying for my 1st year MA CGS grant. I haven't heard anything fron york or sshrc. Do they send out PhD results first?

This might be a silly question, but can our prospective universities see if we have applied for tricouncil (SSHRC/NSERC/CIHR) funding?

For example, if there are 50 applicants, will they be able to verify (aside from if they ask on the application) which of the 50 have applied for external funding and which have not?

I was just wondering if it might sway an admissions committee to see that a student will potentially be funded.

Have any masters students received notification about being forwarded on to Ottawa yet? I had no idea that I might be getting an inkling of information (whether hopeful or disappointing) anytime soon... I would love to hear that it's not just PhDs who receive these emails!

Have any masters students received notification about being forwarded on to Ottawa yet? I had no idea that I might be getting an inkling of information (whether hopeful or disappointing) anytime soon... I would love to hear that it's not just PhDs who receive these emails!

Still haven't heard anything, which is making me really worried. I emailed FGS (York) last week and they said they were going to mail out notification letters in the next two weeks.

This might be a silly question, but can our prospective universities see if we have applied for tricouncil (SSHRC/NSERC/CIHR) funding?

For example, if there are 50 applicants, will they be able to verify (aside from if they ask on the application) which of the 50 have applied for external funding and which have not?

I was just wondering if it might sway an admissions committee to see that a student will potentially be funded.

To the best of my knowledge schools are only informed of students who win awards, not just ones who applied.

I don't think I heard from SSHRC about the MA CGS until I was officially awarded one in May. I had to find out if I was forwarded from my home university.

Yeah, that's what I was asking - I didn't even realize that universities would provide that information in the first place.

But it turns out that my timing for the question was a little silly - I received a letter from my university in the mail today saying that I'd been recommended for the award.

So if anyone else is wondering, Carleton apparently sends this info out via letter not email, and you should be getting yours soon!

I second the person who wrote that "if you haven't heard anything from your university or SSHRC, it is not a good sign". I wrote to Graduate Studies today and was told that all successful applicants have been informed two weeks ago. I am at McGill, PhD.

I have applied for a SSHRC post-doc at U of T. First time applying here. Waiting like everyone else. Has anyone heard anything yet?

I applied for a postdoc at York, but I haven't heard anything yet from the SSHRC. I think the results are coming out mid-Feb, but I'm not sure if I've made that up in my head or if its actually what is going to happen. It's also my first time applying so I'm not too sure about what to expect in terms of how they decide on who gets the funding.

Does anyone have an idea of when the Docotoral awards are announced? I think I'm going to be in the position of choosing between a funded admission at a good school and a partly funded admission at a great school, both of whom will want to know my decision before April.

We definitely won't hear by the end of March. End of April is possible