Fall 2011 Chemistry

tso123d

Yeah. That's pretty much true. Of course, there are some exceptions. Not to forget about the mood of the interviewer at that time which might also go a long way in the final outcome of the interview.

Best of luck to all you guys. Hope you get over this interview and get positive calls from other schools too.

• 2 weeks later...

Accepted to UW Madison Chemical Biology Program via email on January 9 2011.

International Student with a 3.0 GPA from a top 10 US School (BA Chemistry, 1 course shy of BA in Biology)

GRE: 770M/690V/5AWA

TOEFL:119

GRE CHEM: 860

4 years research experience (including research technician)

Third Author in a manuscript that will be submitted to Cell or Nature Neuroscience, and Sixth author in JMB

Accepted to Princeton by email on 1/7/11

Also accepted to MIT and Caltech by phone (both on 1/10/11)

Still waiting on Scripps, Berkeley, Harvard, Penn, Columbia

Good luck everyone!

What are the visiting dates for MIT, Caltech and Princeton? Did you get a call from a Professor mentioned in your SOP from MIT and Caltech?

What are the visiting dates for MIT, Caltech and Princeton? Did you get a call from a Professor mentioned in your SOP from MIT and Caltech?

Caltech - March 3rd - 5th or March 24th - 26th

MIT - March 17th-18th (not sure if it goes into Saturday the 19th)

Princeton - I will post when I get the official letter

The two calls were from "members of the admissions committee." In the case of Caltech, this was a prof mention in my SOP but was not from MIT.

Caltech - March 3rd - 5th or March 24th - 26th

MIT - March 17th-18th (not sure if it goes into Saturday the 19th)

Princeton - I will post when I get the official letter

The two calls were from "members of the admissions committee." In the case of Caltech, this was a prof mention in my SOP but was not from MIT.

did you get a call by Stoltz from Caltech?

did you get a call by Stoltz from Caltech?

No, Dr. Sarah Reisman.

Also invited to a Scripps interview today. Perhaps I will see some of you out there. I will probably head out on the earlier of the two sets of date.

No, Dr. Sarah Reisman.

Also invited to a Scripps interview today. Perhaps I will see some of you out there. I will probably head out on the earlier of the two sets of date.

Good luck for rest of your schools!

I ain't sure about others but I'll be definitely be able to meet you at Caltech as I'm working here for my Master's thesis till April end.

Got an "acceptance" e-mail 2 days ago from University of Wisconsin-Madison, telling me that they're interested in having me and are forwarding my application to the Graduate office. They have visiting weekends the 25-27 of Feb and 11-13 of March.

Heard from MIT early in the week (called by some1 not on my SOP, although I did know who they were, so that was good).

For Scripps Cali, I'm going to the second of the two dates since Berkeley is trying to get the organic students to come out the week before.

I'm hoping next week Harvard will send something out, but perhaps blizzards delay admission decisions.

Edit: It seems Harvard may have already sent out some invitations for the chemical biology program as per the results page, and discussions on other forums. It could've been for the more biological focused individuals since biology programs seem to be sending out their information recently. Perhaps it'll be like MIT and remaining invitations will come out Tuesday-Friday.........exciting...and stressful

Edited by SyntheticOrganiker

Heard from MIT early in the week (called by some1 not on my SOP, although I did know who they were, so that was good).

For Scripps Cali, I'm going to the second of the two dates since Berkeley is trying to get the organic students to come out the week before.

I'm hoping next week Harvard will send something out, but perhaps blizzards delay admission decisions.

Edit: It seems Harvard may have already sent out some invitations for the chemical biology program as per the results page, and discussions on other forums. It could've been for the more biological focused individuals since biology programs seem to be sending out their information recently. Perhaps it'll be like MIT and remaining invitations will come out Tuesday-Friday.........exciting...and stressful

I'm likely going to those same dates for Scripps and Berkeley (organic also). Also heard from Caltech, MIT, Princeton - just waiting on Harvard.

I noticed on the results page the post for the Harvard Chemical Biology was for an interview, do the other chemistry sub-disciplines normally call it an "interview"? I thought only Scripps was like that.

I'm likely going to those same dates for Scripps and Berkeley (organic also). Also heard from Caltech, MIT, Princeton - just waiting on Harvard.

I noticed on the results page the post for the Harvard Chemical Biology was for an interview, do the other chemistry sub-disciplines normally call it an "interview"? I thought only Scripps was like that.

The CB program is run by the Med School at Harvard.. no connection at all to the department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology which is GSAS. Admissions will be a bit different from other programs/departments.

This year only 5 students matriculated.

Edited by prolixity

The CB program is run by the Med School at Harvard.. no connection at all to the department of Chemistry and Chemical Biology which is GSAS. Admissions will be a bit different from other programs/departments.

This year only 5 students matriculated.

Thanks for the clarification! I suppose the similarity of the names confused us.