Fall 2011 Chemistry

tso123d

How did people hear from Berkeley? Letter, e-mail, or phone call?

I got a phone call, I think most people did.

By the way, are there any non-orgo people here? Just wondering as it seems like almost everyone is synth. org.

Edited by tso123d

I'm inorganic, but I haven't heard back from anywhere yet. So this thread has been making me a little nervous. I wonder if inorganic is just slower, though. The only school I applied to that you've heard back from, tso123d, is Berkeley, and I think all of my materials didn't make it there by the deadline so I'm not surprised about that one.

Sweet, I just heard from Stanford. The only two schools I'm now waiting for are Harvard and MIT (though I'm afraid chances for the latter aren't exactly looking great now).

I'm inorganic, but I haven't heard back from anywhere yet. So this thread has been making me a little nervous. I wonder if inorganic is just slower, though.

Yes Luce, I think (/hope) that this may be the case for the inorganic, physical, etc. programs at some schools, unfortunately though there's no way to know for sure right now. I guess we'll find out soon enough...

Edited by tso123d

I'm applying for organometallics, and the only schools I've heard back from thus far are Northwestern and University of Chicago. Admittedly, this forum is making me a little nervous with regards to MIT and Caltech, but it appears that most everyone who's been accepted is doing organic synthesis, so may I just need to be patient. Easier said than done.

Besides, I think MIT does a second round of admissions in mid-Feb. A friend of mine who does pchem was accepted at that time last year.

So far I've been accepted to Northwestern and U of illinois (I think I'm the first to mention U of I). I heard from both on the 3rd by email. As far as I can tell, U of I has no official visit weekends. You just set up a time to meet with the department individually.

This forum is making me a little nervous about my chances at Caltech and Stanford. Does anyone here know the notification processes at these schools? i.e. Do they accept only the outstanding applicants early and then decide on the next tier after that? Do they decide on applications as they read them?

I think that most departments admit by division so it would be helpful if people could include the type of chemistry they applied for when reporting acceptances/rejections (i.e. organic, physical, theoretical). Has anybody heard back from MIT, Stanford, Columbia, Princeton, Berkeley or Harvard for theoretical chemistry?

Also, does anybody know the visiting dates for University of Chicago? I got in but they didn't tell me any dates yet...

I'm applying for theoretical chemistry.

Waiting on response from:

Harvard (Chemical Physics)

Columbia (Chemical Physics)

Berkeley

MIT

Harvard

Princeton

Yale

Columbia

Stanford

Northwestern

Accepted to:

UCSD (Dec 16th, email from SOP prof)

UT Austin (Jan 12th, email)

Univ of Chicago (Jan 14th, email from SOP prof)

Just got a call from a professor (not one on my SOP) at Caltech; I'm in. Again, I'm doing organometallic chemistry.

Also, does anybody know the visiting dates for University of Chicago? I got in but they didn't tell me any dates yet...

The visiting dates for University of Chicago are Feb. 24 - Feb. 26 and Mar. 10 - Mar. 12.

Just got a call from a professor (not one on my SOP) at Caltech; I'm in. Again, I'm doing organometallic chemistry.

The visiting dates for University of Chicago are Feb. 24 - Feb. 26 and Mar. 10 - Mar. 12.

Did you get the call from Reisman or Stoltz? Was it today? I never thought one can get calls on Sundays. Is that person from adcomm or Prof. interested to have you as grad student?

I am an applicant for PChem (Experimental). (International student)

Just for information,

I am accepted to UC Berkeley (unofficial email 1/7, official email 1/15) and Caltech (unofficial email 1/10).

Still waiting for Harvard, MIT, and Stanford.

I am an applicant for PChem (Experimental). (International student)

Just for information,

I am accepted to UC Berkeley (unofficial email 1/7, official email 1/15) and Caltech (unofficial email 1/10).

Still waiting for Harvard, MIT, and Stanford.

Thanks for your update. Where are you from? Are you an international student doing undergrad in US? What's your profile like (GPA, GRE, TOEFL, publications, recommenders etc.) ?

Did you get the call from Reisman or Stoltz? Was it today? I never thought one can get calls on Sundays. Is that person from adcomm or Prof. interested to have you as grad student?

Yeah, the call was today; I was definitely surprised. The professor was from adcomm (neither Reisman nor Stoltz).

I just got a call from Caltech that I'm in! It was from Gray, an inorganic professor I hadn't mentioned in my statement. I missed the call because I was asleep, but he left a message and sent an email (wondering if he called too early, haha). It was 7 AM out in California, he's really on top of things.

Anyway, it's such a relief to know I'm in somewhere!

I just got a call from Caltech that I'm in! It was from Gray, an inorganic professor I hadn't mentioned in my statement. I missed the call because I was asleep, but he left a message and sent an email (wondering if he called too early, haha). It was 7 AM out in California, he's really on top of things.

Congrats on Cal Tech. I've actually met Gray a few times (he collaborates or used to collaborate with a professor I used to work with). He seems like a nice guy. I hear he can drink anyone under the table if pressed...

I just heard back from Princeton (accepted). Has anyone heard from Berkeley for theoretical chem? I'm getting nervous. It seems like Berkeley has let in a lot of people who are not me....

OMG. Harry Gray is like the super-coolest dude on the face of the planet. I wonder if he still remembers me? Nah, it's been way too long.

Another call from Berkeley today! From John Arnold, someone who was mentioned in my statement. He apologized for it taking so long (again, not surprised because I think my application was completed late) and said more details were coming in the mail. He also said the inorganic visit day is March 4.

Seems like people going for non-organic fields are just having to wait a little longer this year. :)

Edited by luce373

I don't know if anyone else applied there, but I just heard back from Illinois-Urbana Champaign that I am in. They sent me an e-mail with the offer details. I turned in my app right on the deadline (Jan 7th) so I'm surprised to hear back so quickly!

(Sorry for the double post, it was too late to edit my last one.)

Edited by luce373