Ithaca, NY

On 3/11/2018 at 4:18 PM, hurryskurry said:

Wanted to ask again, how necessary a car is in Ithaca. Talking with grad students, it seemed as if there were several who didn't have a car, or didn't use it to get to the university on a daily basis. 

So, I grew up near here, and lived in Ithaca for fun for a while.  You don't NEED a car.  The TCAT is the bus transportation service (you can see their schedules on their website).  It runs a ton to Cornell campus.  BUT!  It's not like a large city where you can have groceries delivered, and you'll have to deal with bus schedules to get groceries.

So, in short, you don't NEED a car.  But it is actually helpful here.   Check out the TCAT.

Hi everyone! I just accepted a PhD offer, and was wondering if anyone knew of good, quiet places for grad students to live? I do have a car, but don’t know if I’ll be bringing it. My stipend is $26,426 for the year, with an added $5,568 for summer support. A studio or 1-bedroom apartment would be ideal! When I visited campus, current students in my program suggested using Craigslist..does anyone know if this is a good option?

On 3/29/2018 at 9:59 AM, Saltshaker said:

Hi everyone! I just accepted a PhD offer, and was wondering if anyone knew of good, quiet places for grad students to live? I do have a car, but don’t know if I’ll be bringing it. My stipend is $26,426 for the year, with an added $5,568 for summer support. A studio or 1-bedroom apartment would be ideal! When I visited campus, current students in my program suggested using Craigslist..does anyone know if this is a good option?

I'm also an incoming Cornell student who was looking for housing! People in my program also recommended Craigslist. I've found a place, but I was looking and it looks like there are still places being advertised. I was advised by literally every single person I asked to stay away from Collegetown, if that helps you any!

7 hours ago, medievalbotanist said:

I'm also an incoming Cornell student who was looking for housing! People in my program also recommended Craigslist. I've found a place, but I was looking and it looks like there are still places being advertised. I was advised by literally every single person I asked to stay away from Collegetown, if that helps you any!

I actually just secured a place in Fall Creek via Craigslist! Yeah, most people told me to stay away from Collegetown, too, because of the frat parties. 

I'm from NYC and went to Ithaca College for 4 years as an undergrad! The summers are beautiful there and despite being a small "city" there are tons of things to do and events going on. There are two large universities within a mile of each other so theres always a drag show, performance, game, food festival to go to. ithaca has the BEST food festivals (e.g. apple fest, chili fest). The Dali Lama has a vacation retreat there so it cant be that bad!

Ithaca has a bunch of wineries and breweries. It has more eateries per capita than nyc actually. It was definitely an adjustment moving there, but I loved my time there. There is also a bus from Ithaca to NYC that you can catch when you miss home and its not too expensive. Hope that helped! 

@ResilientDreams I'm moving to Ithaca in August, currently looking for a 1bdrm in Fall Creek/Downtown on Craigslist (everyone told me to look there during my visit)

58 minutes ago, issaquah said:

@ResilientDreams I'm moving to Ithaca in August, currently looking for a 1bdrm in Fall Creek/Downtown on Craigslist (everyone told me to look there during my visit)

Yay!! It's nice to meet you. Fall Creek is a nice area. I got an apartment in Maplewood though. 

@ResilientDreams You too! Did you find yours on Craigslist? It looks like pickings are slim at this point, but I only made my official decision yesterday