Urbana-Champaign, IL

Guest Guest

IcedCapp,

Are you looking for an apartment to move into in August? And you want to sign in August?

I lived in CU for 5 years and used only big landlords, like Green Street Realty (do not recommend), Advantage Properties (highly recommend), Roland Realty, University Group.

The good apartments thru these landlords for August move-in of a given year are usually leased out by February/March of that same year. So you'd probably need to look at some solo apartment complexes like

- 309 green ($750/month)

- tower at third ($800/month)

- burnham ($800/month)

- one south/north ($400-500/month)

Or sublease from someone travelling abroad for a semester, there's a facebook group for that I'm sure.

Here's a list to help you with your search: https://www.cribspot.com/blog/urbana-champaign-apartments-and-management-companies-list/VXiery0AAJsAaMaJ?ref=breakoutlist

As for crime, we have a mailing distro that the police department uses to send alerts to everyone on campus. I've noticed a trend where these crimes tend to happen at frat houses and dorms, and usually late night/early morning. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2017 at 7:41 AM, FreeThinker15 said:

Stopping by to bump this post. I am attending the Clinical Psychology program in the fall and am looking for advice on places to live! Any and all help is appreciated!

Hey FreeThinker15,

I went to Urbana-Champaign for undergrad and I loved it. If you aren't driving to campus every day (which is totally reasonable and parking on campus isn't cheap) then I would stay between S. Neil St (West of campus) and S. Vine St (East of campus). I definitely know people outside of that range, but I think its pretty easy and most convenient to stay close to campus. How far North/South you should go depends on where you'll be working.

The bus lines can be found at www.cumtd.com (lol its supposed to be read C-U, M-T-D). The bus is free with your student ID. 

Landlords:

A popular landlord is CPM (Campus Property Management - not affiliated with the Uni). They are hit or miss - if you never need anything from them, then its fine and they have good prices. However, if anything breaks or you need something special, then good luck. They have a bad reputation for caring about their tenants. 

My landlord was Hunsinger Apartments, a small family owned business. They were also cheap and fixed things cheaply (as in they did minimal work), but they were nice and responsive. I had a bat in my apartment after hours and someone came over within 30 minutes and stayed for 2 hours while we figured out what to do with it. 

The Tenant Union may help with landlord reviews, although I'm not sure if you have to visit in person. http://union.illinois.edu/see-and-do/other-resources/tenant-union

You'll be closer to the parties in Champaign, but its also mostly undergrads. You'll find more graduate students in Urbana. I personally think the housing in Urbana is more unique, prettier surroundings, and its usually cheaper. You will be farther away from the bars, but there is plenty of public transit available. 

If you won't have a car at all, then grocery shopping might suck. I would check out where the grocery stores are when planning. 

That was all basic information...since I lived there for 4 years I have plenty to say, if you have more questions!

• 1 month later...
On 3/30/2017 at 7:11 PM, born2cessna said:

Hey FreeThinker15,

I went to Urbana-Champaign for undergrad and I loved it. If you aren't driving to campus every day (which is totally reasonable and parking on campus isn't cheap) then I would stay between S. Neil St (West of campus) and S. Vine St (East of campus). I definitely know people outside of that range, but I think its pretty easy and most convenient to stay close to campus. How far North/South you should go depends on where you'll be working.

The bus lines can be found at www.cumtd.com (lol its supposed to be read C-U, M-T-D). The bus is free with your student ID. 

Landlords:

A popular landlord is CPM (Campus Property Management - not affiliated with the Uni). They are hit or miss - if you never need anything from them, then its fine and they have good prices. However, if anything breaks or you need something special, then good luck. They have a bad reputation for caring about their tenants. 

My landlord was Hunsinger Apartments, a small family owned business. They were also cheap and fixed things cheaply (as in they did minimal work), but they were nice and responsive. I had a bat in my apartment after hours and someone came over within 30 minutes and stayed for 2 hours while we figured out what to do with it. 

The Tenant Union may help with landlord reviews, although I'm not sure if you have to visit in person. http://union.illinois.edu/see-and-do/other-resources/tenant-union

You'll be closer to the parties in Champaign, but its also mostly undergrads. You'll find more graduate students in Urbana. I personally think the housing in Urbana is more unique, prettier surroundings, and its usually cheaper. You will be farther away from the bars, but there is plenty of public transit available. 

If you won't have a car at all, then grocery shopping might suck. I would check out where the grocery stores are when planning. 

That was all basic information...since I lived there for 4 years I have plenty to say, if you have more questions!

Thank you so much for this advice! I will definitely take it all into consideration. Fortunately, I will have a car!

• 2 weeks later...

I will be joining the UIUC community for the Fall semester, as well.  I am taking a trip to the area at the end of the month in order to look at neighborhoods and get a better grasp of what the area feels like.  I've seen so many conflicting recommendations of which areas to avoid when it comes to both towns. The only consensus seems to be the obvious one:  it's louder close to campus.  That will be the case at any major university, though. 

I don't know the roads or city geographic markers, so it's tough for me to distinguish some of the recommended areas without zooming incredibly far on my map searches.  I'm hoping my visit will help clear that up.  Then again, I'm not looking at apartments.  I am moving with my fiance, and we will be looking exclusively at houses and townhomes (depending on how close to an apartment it is).  I know this is going to cost a bit more, but that's just how it goes.

Access to bus transportation is not as important to us as the general quietness of the neighborhood, either.  I'm finding it strange how most of the rental listings for the area are posted with immediate availability.  I suppose there is no incentive to look for tenants early when you don't have to, but it's remarkably inconvenient for people coming from out-of-state.

• 9 months later...

Hey everyone, I just got accepted to UIUC and planning a visit in April. I'm coming from Boston and it will be my first time in the Midwest.. Anyone have any recommendations for 1-bed apartments for me to check out when I visit? I'm looking to spend no more than $700 and ideally have utilities included.

20 minutes ago, theprincessleia said:

can anyone recommend any 1-bed apartments under $700? 

Most apartments with all utilities and nice amenities included are closer to $900-1000/mo if you want to live in a safe neighborhood and relatively close to campus. I'd suggest looking into subleased apartments. Otherwise, a general suggestion would be that Urbana seems to be cheaper because most of the nightlife is in Champaign. Obviously, the closer you live to campus, the more expensive rent will be. Good luck!

On 3/7/2018 at 7:59 PM, theprincessleia said:

Hey everyone, I just got accepted to UIUC and planning a visit in April. I'm coming from Boston and it will be my first time in the Midwest.. Anyone have any recommendations for 1-bed apartments for me to check out when I visit? I'm looking to spend no more than $700 and ideally have utilities included.

I agree that it will be difficult to find a one bedroom apartment close to campus with all utilities included for under $700. It can be done if you're willing to accept some of the cheapest apartments in town, but it may not have all of the amenities you're looking for. Any website where apartments are listed (hotpads, ApartmentFinder, craigslist, etc.) can be used to see what options are currently available in Champaign-Urbana. I also agree that Urbana will generally have cheaper apartment options available.

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/12/2018 at 7:04 PM, sqxz said:

I agree that it will be difficult to find a one bedroom apartment close to campus with all utilities included for under $700. It can be done if you're willing to accept some of the cheapest apartments in town, but it may not have all of the amenities you're looking for. Any website where apartments are listed (hotpads, ApartmentFinder, craigslist, etc.) can be used to see what options are currently available in Champaign-Urbana. I also agree that Urbana will generally have cheaper apartment options available.

I'm going to start at uiuc in the fall. I find this comment surprising because just looking a craigslist it seems there are many 1 bedroom apartments available for less that 700 and even 600 dollars. They may not include utilities but if you have a 1 bedroom apartment for 600 that still leaves 100 for paying your own utilities. These apartments I have seen are closer to downtown urbana or champaign but I figured thats where I would want to be as a grad student.

am I missing something?

Edited by Eman2

@Eman2 No, I don't think you're missing anything. Like I said in my original post, it's possible to find one bedroom apartments that cost $700/month or less after factoring in utilities, but they'll be among the cheapest available. And, generally speaking, you'll get what you pay for. To get an apartment at this price, you might have to sacrifice square footage, newness/quality of appliances/cabinets/plumbing/etc., proximity to campus, amenities, or any number of other things. You have to decide for yourself which of these things if any are important for you to have with your apartment.

I will also note that, while the cost of utilities obviously varies widely depending on lifestyle and the apartment itself, your estimate of $100/month for utilities seems fair, at least for my situation. For my first apartment in Champaign-Urbana (roughly 550ft²), I spent $20-$30/month on water and $50-$150/month on electricity, but I keep my apartment at 21°C all year. I did not have to pay for any other utilities (gas, sewage, trash, etc.), but I did also have to pay for internet and cable.

• 10 months later...

Hi all,

I am looking for a place in Urbana or Champaign for the August 2020. I will be a grad student and live for 2 years with my wife and 6 year old girl. My girl will start to elementary school. I have some constraints and need your advice for locations or apartments.

First, I hope to find a perfect elementary school for my girl. Therefore I want to stay close to the school.

Second, I can ride a bike or use public transport to go to the university. Therefore I prefer to live in a house on the route of public transportation.

Third, I will have a car for shopping and going out, therefore I need a car parking area in front of my house.

Next, Neighbors are important for me, I want to stay away crowd and crime, and live in a safe place.

Last but not least, I prefer houses with garden to apartment flats.

With considering all of my concerns, what do you suggest me? Which places should I focus for renting? How much should I decide for my budget?

I heard that Orchard Downs, Savoy, and West Michigan Avenue are good places. Do you recommend those places.

I look for hearing your suggestions.