Jump to content

Anyone waiting on UCR UCSB or Umass-Amherst?


Recommended Posts

As for UCSB, I have a few friends who are awaiting word still. I do know, however, that they have sent out some acceptances in either late Jan or early Feb, I believe.

As for UCR, one friend has heard an acceptance (I think they heard about two weeks ago)--so I'd call.

No insight into UMass....

Link to post
Share on other sites

UCR-

I was accepted about 5 weeks ago but I'm most likely going to turn down their offer. I'll be visiting the other school on the 30th and I'll know after that. UCR's visit day is April 11th, but I'm not going to visit unless I decide I don't want to go to the other school. Also, this would indicate that all their acceptances have been sent out, but you may be on some kind of rolling waitlist. I don't know whether my declining their offer would change anything for you because I was offerred a fellowship (which I think doesn't get factored into their departmental budget), but if I do decline, I hope you get my spot. I'll try to make my decision as soon as possible so that I don't hold up an offer to you or anyone else. I'm guessing I'll know by April 2 whether I'll be going to UCR or not.

Good luck

Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard from UCSB early March. They've already made their funding decisions. I also have not heard from UMass, but do not care anymore by this point. I hope you hear back from these schools you mentioned soon, it really sucks to still have panic/anxiety attacks into the Spring. That was what happened to me two years ago, so I totally understand. Take care!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was accepted to UCR last week; like ammar, I received a fellowhip. This would lead me to believe that they sent their acceptances in waves. However, since their visit day is the 11th of April, I would assume all admitted students would be notified before then so that they could attend. If you haven't already, you might call the department and see what's up. Everyone I've spoken with there has been really helpful and very friendly.

Good luck!

Ammar, what do you think of the program? Have you talked with any of the professors? You can PM me if you want so that we don't hijack the thread.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone! I actually called and both UCSB and UMASS said they have not made all decisions but they should be out within 10 days.

UCSB told me my file had been reviewed a month earlier but no decision had been made yet...is this a wait list or something? I figure they would have denied me right off the bat. I want UCSB bad !

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully you hear something positive from UCSB. The faculty have been helpful in my deliberation process and I've decided to take up their offer. I was originally offered a rather small funding package (not enough for me to even consider), but as other people turned down their offers, I ended up recieving a fellowship. Don't give up hope yet because you're still in the running!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got an email I am wait listed and should know after April 15th. I emailed them and told them I don't need funding and am even willing to TA without any funding or enter UCSB at the M.A / some type of probationary level to prove I deserve a spot (already have an M.A) but I am willing to do whatever, so hopefully that helps me. I want UCSB so damn bad.

come to think of it I sound like a desperate high schooler looking for a date before prom =P

Link to post
Share on other sites

Would anyone recommend sending them updated transcripts/writting sample while on the wait list? I was thinking of emailing unofficial grades to the committee as I went from a 3.5 to 3.7 and finished my masters comp exam paper.

I don't want to be to pushy but I don't want to come across as unconcerned about this as I really want to go to UCSB.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm the one who posted the UMass acceptance yesterday. It was a form letter from the grad school dated 24 March. The way the letter is worded, it sounds like no one who hasn't heard is out of it yet. They request a response within 15 days and I have to tell them if I want to wait until April 15 to make my decision because "enrollments in the program are limited". That says to me that they plan on another round if they don't get as many students as they want with this batch. I'll be turning them down via Monday's mail.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.