German, Fall 2011

Kursteilnehmer

Well, congratulations then, mysterious stranger - what are your interests? I heard from somewhere on here that Berkeley did linguistics admits already, but I didn't know they had also done literature and culture stuff. Or are you also linguistics?

No, I'm also in literature. My research interests include literary theory (particularly structuralist and post-structuralist approaches), literature & science (poetology of knowledge), literature & philosophy, time & literature (Deleuze comes to mind here especially), narratology, psychoanalysis, history of rhetoric. Particular concentrations of mine are early Romanticism (fragments, rhetoric) and post-war lyric, and I am very drawn to the works of F. Schlegel, Novalis, Goethe, Hölderlin, Stifter, Mörike, Brecht, Kafka, Musil, Celan, Bachmann and Walter Benjamin.

I claim acceptances to UIC and to Rutgers. Three in a row now! Still waiting for my top schools though.

There has been one other acceptance in the results board to JHU of an international as well. If you read this: Are you going to the open house event on March 2nd? Also as a general question I wonder if it is worth going to an open house, if you have to cross an ocean and pay hundreds of dollars for it.

Any advise on this from anyone?

I claim acceptances to UIC and to Rutgers. Three in a row now! Still waiting for my top schools though.

There has been one other acceptance in the results board to JHU of an international as well. If you read this: Are you going to the open house event on March 2nd? Also as a general question I wonder if it is worth going to an open house, if you have to cross an ocean and pay hundreds of dollars for it.

Any advise on this from anyone?

I was accepted to UIC as well, and just got back from a campus visit. I met with professors and graduate students, and they were all wonderful. I'm waiting now for a funding offer, which the head said should be sent out "very soon"... Have you met with anyone yet or heard anything about funding?

I also got into U Toronto, but at this point I don't think they have any funding so I'm not sure they will work out.

You say you received notice from Rutgers? I also applied there, and haven't heard anything. How did you find out? Mail or Online?

You say you received notice from Rutgers? I also applied there, and haven't heard anything. How did you find out? Mail or Online?

Received a very nice email from the department chair. Also my UIC funding package is not clear yet due to missing documents or so. But with my other choices (JHU & Rutgers) I will most likely not go to UIC anyway.

Did you apply for a masters or a phd? I also have Toronto on my list..

cheers

Received a very nice email from the department chair. Also my UIC funding package is not clear yet due to missing documents or so. But with my other choices (JHU & Rutgers) I will most likely not go to UIC anyway.

Did you apply for a masters or a phd? I also have Toronto on my list..

cheers

I applied for a masters to all schools except the Duke/Carolina program, so maybe they notify masters students later than PhD? Have you heard from Toronto yet? I really would like to go there, but they don't offer any funding at this point, and for me that is very important. Rutgers doesn't either, but there are always exceptions. All of UIC's students that I met had TAships, even the MA students, and all receive extensive teacher training, so I'm really excited to hear from them on a Teaching Assistantship, I don't only want to teach, I want to be able to teach well, and their program really seems to provide that experience.

Toronto e-mailed me this past Friday. Good luck! They offer PhD students guaranteed funding so that's always a plus!

I applied for a masters to all schools except the Duke/Carolina program, so maybe they notify masters students later than PhD? Have you heard from Toronto yet? I really would like to go there, but they don't offer any funding at this point, and for me that is very important. Rutgers doesn't either, but there are always exceptions. All of UIC's students that I met had TAships, even the MA students, and all receive extensive teacher training, so I'm really excited to hear from them on a Teaching Assistantship, I don't only want to teach, I want to be able to teach well, and their program really seems to provide that experience.

Toronto e-mailed me this past Friday. Good luck! They offer PhD students guaranteed funding so that's always a plus!

That really is a good point. Eventhough I have a little teaching experience I would like such a training as well. Havn't heard anything from Toronto yet, but the deadline was Jan 30th, so I'll be patient...

...meanwhile I got waitlisted at Princeton :mellow:

congrats to kalleziffel! Cornell is ace!

Edited by uldo

Ha, I just met cimalagon in a bar in a foreign country - totally by chance. Weird.

Email from Princeton came and a call from Cornell - accepted! Super stoked about this (made apparent by falling back into my dirty childhood west coast slang

Just returned from the loveliest conversation with GK Chesterton. Contigency indeed! Many congratulations on both acceptances. I will confess to being particularly thrilled about Princeton, as I also just received an acceptance email myself!

Just returned from the loveliest conversation with GK Chesterton. Contigency indeed! Many congratulations on both acceptances. I will confess to being particularly thrilled about Princeton, as I also just received an acceptance email myself!

After a discussion in which it was claimed that the primary characteristic of paranoid thought is seeing fate where there exists only contingency. Spooky.

Herzlichste Glückwünsche an alle! Prima!

Hey there, Germanist friends. Congratulations to all on the recent great news. Check out my latest post on the French 2011 thread for links to some articles you might find interesting, including one specifically about the German program at Princeton. I see that some of you have been accepted there. Congrats once again! Feel free to check out those articles and to join the discussion on our thread if you like. Here's wishing you the best as you await further news and/or go off on your campus visits! :)

Congratulations all around!

Does anyone have any specific questions for Yale professors he or she would like answered? I ask because I am meeting with Rainer Nägele, Brigitte Peucker and Rüdiger Campe tomorrow and on Saturday and will have the opportunity to speak with each at length.

That really is a good point. Eventhough I have a little teaching experience I would like such a training as well. Havn't heard anything from Toronto yet, but the deadline was Jan 30th, so I'll be patient...

...meanwhile I got waitlisted at Princeton :mellow:

congrats to kalleziffel! Cornell is ace!

Ich dank dir, Uldo!

Congratulations all around!

Does anyone have any specific questions for Yale professors he or she would like answered? I ask because I am meeting with Rainer Nägele, Brigitte Peucker and Rüdiger Campe tomorrow and on Saturday and will have the opportunity to speak with each at length.

so cimalagon, how was your talk at Yale? Any news?

I can claim the stanford admission (and I am really excited about it). As it was already my 4th admission I think its time to start declining some programs (really didn't expect to be in a position like that). How do you guys manage that?

Re: Berkeley rejection - does that belong to anyone here? I am sure I'm getting one and have been waiting on it for a while, but haven't heard anything.

that was mine. hope you'll get in though..

anyone here to claim the columbia admit?

Edited by uldo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi! I'm new and just looked through this thread. It looks like it has been wonderful news for a lot of you; congratulations!

I'm beginning the process of looking at and applying to Germanistik PhD programs--planning to enter in Fall 2012.

Seeing as the process for this past year appears to be over, does anyone on this forum have any retrospective advice as to which programs to look at, GRE scores to shoot for, or really anything at all? It would be much appreciated!

Best,

-Germanistik Rookie

Hi! I'm new and just looked through this thread. It looks like it has been wonderful news for a lot of you; congratulations!

I'm beginning the process of looking at and applying to Germanistik PhD programs--planning to enter in Fall 2012.

Seeing as the process for this past year appears to be over, does anyone on this forum have any retrospective advice as to which programs to look at, GRE scores to shoot for, or really anything at all? It would be much appreciated!

Best,

-Germanistik Rookie

Hallo Kafkaesk!

I'm glad to hear that there are people out there already making plans to join our US-Germanistik love bunch!; I was in the same position as you (obviously) about a year ago, and I was rather fortunate to have some funds saved for travel, a badass adviser (and I went to a not-so-hot undergrad school) with some connections and who took the time to make some informal introductions to a few professors, and that some of my personal travel plans coincided with my prospective visits, so I went with my ex-boyfriend to San Francisco for a few weeks, during which time I was able to visit Berkeley and decided it was not for me -- I also visited the University of Chicago (whose offer I accepted) and Columbia when I was out visiting a good friend of mine in NYC. I did put some time and effort into the GRE exam (spent about two months studying) and received good scores, but I don't think that they are very important (in retrospect) -- a good, solid verbal score (mine was in the 700s) is a good score to shoot for and I think they could honestly give a rat's ass about your quantitative (unless it's like freakishly low....) .. and the essays are a piece of cake (though I guess they're changing them now?) Your personal statement and writing sample are very important -- and your letters of recommendation. For familiarizing yourself with programs; last year, I just made a list of all programs I was potentially interested in: Princeton, Yale, Chicago, Cornell, Stanford, Johns Hopkins and then started narrowing my list to my three top schools which ended up being the only schools I applied to. I was also accepted in all three programs, so if you're looking to uh ... save some of those application fees, I would warn against applying to a dozen or so schools: klein aber fein. Chances are that if you know a lot about the program, faculty, their overall emphasis, and think you'd fit in well (and visiting is a great occasion to really figure this one out -- you can really take the reins here!) then you'll get in. And it will help your Letter of Rec writers know what they need to emphasize about you.

That's all I have for right now. My applications were grueling month-long processes and I had all kinds of dreams (I still do! I dreamt last night that I actually should be going to the Ludwig-Maximilian Universitaet and then somehow ended up in Princeton's bookstore -- and I didn't apply to or visit Princeton -- and was a bonafide Princeton student?!?), but I am confident that I made the right choice and it's great to be done. Let me know if you need anything else from me!

Cheers,

kalleziffel