Management and/or Organizational Behavior PhD thread

What was the application deadline for Haas? I'm trying to get a sense of how long it takes committees to make decisions (and I'm trying to get more conversation going on).

The Haas deadline was Dec 10. But I have heard back from schools who had deadlines in January. I think the time to make decisions varies from school to school, perhaps depending on how many applications they receive.

I just discovered that there's a new OB thread at another forum, though less active than this thread: http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-business/129107-management-organizational-behavior-phd.html Someone there posted that Wharton has sent out interview invites to 12 applicants.

Also, I received an interview request from Penn State today!

Edited by drmo

The Haas deadline was Dec 10. But I have heard back from schools who had deadlines in January. I think the time to make decisions varies from school to school, perhaps depending on how many applications they receive.

I just discovered that there's a new OB thread at another forum, though less active than this thread: http://www.urch.com/...havior-phd.html Someone there posted that Wharton has sent out interview invites to 12 applicants.

Also, I received an interview request from Penn State today!

Congrats on PSU! Do you mind sharing your profile?

I have still not heard from any of the schools (other than the rejection from Berkeley)! Maybe I should have applied to more schools.. Something tells me I might need to go through this torture again next year :(

Something tells me I might need to go through this torture again next year :(

I applied two years ago and am going through the rounds again this year. I upped my GMAT and got more research experience through my job. My GPA is still low but there isn't much I can do about that at this point. I'm hoping things work out better but always have contingency plans in place.

I applied two years ago and am going through the rounds again this year. I upped my GMAT and got more research experience through my job. My GPA is still low but there isn't much I can do about that at this point. I'm hoping things work out better but always have contingency plans in place.

My back up option is to get a Masters and apply again next year.. Let's hope I don't need to do that!

Congrats on PSU! Do you mind sharing your profile?

I have still not heard from any of the schools (other than the rejection from Berkeley)! Maybe I should have applied to more schools.. Something tells me I might need to go through this torture again next year :(

I'm not comfortable sharing my profile in public, but if you PM me, I'll share it with you!

I've been told that admissions can be extremely unpredictable. There are applicants with no research experience who get into the top programs, or vice versa, applicants with excellent profiles who are rejected. Sometimes, programs reject students not because their profiles are not strong, but because their POI is leaving, or they just decided not to take in any students that year, or there was a lack of research fit, etc...The advice given to me was to apply to as many schools as I could afford to, and not to pin my hopes up on any specific school, just because so many factors can affect admissions. Though I believe that a strong GRE/GMAT score is extremely important for making the first cut, especially at the Ivy Leagues.

I, too, have a backup plan. I'll likely work for 1-2 years, gain more research experience, then try applying again.

The threshold for consideration at the top 10-15 schools is certainly not 750. That's a little absurd. It's more like 700. Applications are considered much more holistically. Of course, a 750 would ABSOLUTELY pass the threshold for that one component of the application, but it is by no means a minimum to be considered. Even for finance I would imagine 750 is a little high for a "threshold".

Hey guys!

New to this thread-- and while I am thrilled to have found it because I am on the EDGE of my seat every day waiting to hear back from schools, it is also a bit disconcerting since I have received no news from any of the schools I have applied to, some of which other people have gotten interviews with. UGHH.

Does anyone know if there will be another wave of interviews at UT-Austin or Michigan? Or do you think that having not heard anything yet is a bad sign? Both of those were at the top of my list.

My complete list is:

Columbia

UT-Austin

Michigan

Stanford

UNC- Kenan Flagler (heard that I made a "first" cut but nothing since..)

Univ of Florida

WUSTL Olin

Emory

Northwestern

ugh. ugh. ugh. I have been out of undergrad for 2 years and have been working in research at a top 5 business school and still no dice with applications. I did not apply to any masters programs or anything and my job ends after the two years. ah I guess need to start making moves finding another job if this doesn't work out.

Any news on any of the above programs is greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!!

As of last week, Columbia was just starting to set up meetings to start going though applications. I also think nothing has come out of Stanford yet, so I wouldn't worry about that either. I don't think you have to start thinking about finding another job until the end of the month. Do you mind sharing who your POIs are at Columbia? Feel free to PM me if you are more comfortable with that. Best of luck!!!

The threshold for consideration at the top 10-15 schools is certainly not 750. That's a little absurd. It's more like 700. Applications are considered much more holistically. Of course, a 750 would ABSOLUTELY pass the threshold for that one component of the application, but it is by no means a minimum to be considered. Even for finance I would imagine 750 is a little high for a "threshold".

I completely agree with this. Particularly in Management/OB programs (as opposed to finance, etc.), they are much more interested in your research experience than your GRE or GMAT score.

I wish! I know that UNC said they would have 2nd cuts by the second week in february if not before. I don't know if today counts as the end of the second week in feb or if it is the 14th. Either way, we should know something soon!! Michigan-- I still havn't heard anything. I am assuming that they made a short list and those who have not heard, it is probably not looking promising. Emory, I emailed a faculty member last week and they said that a short list was going to be made in the first two weeks of february. I do not know about any of the other programs. The waiting game is ROUGH!

Good Luck!!

I assumed the second week of February ended today as well. I have been waiting UNC's email all day long today.

On 2/11/2011 at 1:56 PM, ApplicationsTakeTwo said:

I haven't heard anything since they announced the first cuts. I assumed the second week of February ended today, but it looks like it really ends next week. I've seen a lot of people in the same ambiguity so maybe they just haven't made any decisions on interviews.