Management and/or Organizational Behavior PhD thread

I got informal acceptance and invite to visit BU and so then had to send email to Temple to find out what my status with them is. Apparently, I was also accepted there informally.

Just out of curiosity, was this for the OB/HR PhD program in the business school at Temple? I was under the impression they were closed to PhD applications this year (I had wanted to apply last year but they weren't accepting applications, and the prof I spoke to wasn't sure when they were re-opening the program. The strategic management dept is very different, and I've heard some not-so-great things about it, but that's a different story).

Just out of curiosity, was this for the OB/HR PhD program in the business school at Temple? I was under the impression they were closed to PhD applications this year (I had wanted to apply last year but they weren't accepting applications, and the prof I spoke to wasn't sure when they were re-opening the program. The strategic management dept is very different, and I've heard some not-so-great things about it, but that's a different story).

my bad... temple international business

my bad... temple international business

Also, if you want any informal info about the program, I have heard quite a few things from previous prospective students and professors who are familiar with the management department.

Edited by alexis

As of Feb. 25th, Columbia was still planning on having a "recruiting weekend" according to a professor in the department who was responsible for composing their first short list. Their plans may have changed since no one has heard about a fly out yet. They could just be a couple weeks behind schedule this year.

I was wrong, Columbia is interviewing this year. Their interview is all day on March 25th and then there is a dinner on March 26th.

As of Feb. 25th, Columbia was still planning on having a "recruiting weekend" according to a professor in the department who was responsible for composing their first short list. Their plans may have changed since no one has heard about a fly out yet. They could just be a couple weeks behind schedule this year.

I am seriously considering an offer from University of Maryland. I like that the OB faculty is ranked high on research productivity and my research interest (leadership) is aligned to the faculty's expertise.

Anyone else considering Maryland?

On 3/14/2011 at 12:55 PM, ApplicationsTakeTwo said:

Has anyone accepted an offer yet? If so, where are you going?

Hi All,

I just received a rejection from Indiana for the OB/HRM program, so hopefully those waiting to hear will get good news! I have already accepted an offer from UMass Amherst for their Org Studies program and am excited to be heading there this fall. I also previously received rejections from University of AZ and Case Western, and assume I will receive the same from Pitt and GW. This has been an interesting process and I really appreciate those who post on these boards - you all kept me sane! :rolleyes:

Hi All,

I just received a rejection from Indiana for the OB/HRM program, so hopefully those waiting to hear will get good news! I have already accepted an offer from UMass Amherst for their Org Studies program and am excited to be heading there this fall. I also previously received rejections from University of AZ and Case Western, and assume I will receive the same from Pitt and GW. This has been an interesting process and I really appreciate those who post on these boards - you all kept me sane! :rolleyes:

How were you notified?

Congratulations on accepting your UMass offer! :)

Hi All,

• 1 month later...

This is slightly off-topic, but I'm planning on applying to PhD programs in OB in the next year or two. Is there a forum, site, etc. where people post their stats? I would really like to get a good sense of what is needed so I can start working on a strong application. Thanks!

This is slightly off-topic, but I'm planning on applying to PhD programs in OB in the next year or two. Is there a forum, site, etc. where people post their stats? I would really like to get a good sense of what is needed so I can start working on a strong application. Thanks!

http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-business/

Probably the highest traffic of all the Business PhD forums out there. I post there under the same name; the site as a whole, though, is definitely geared towards Economics Ph.D. and MBA.

• 3 months later...

Is there a difference btw Industrial Organization/Organizational Behavior and HR Management programs? It seems more of you are applying to IO schools but I'm wondering if they'll equip you with the same tools/knowledge as an HR management business program? I'm looking for a hands-on/career training program in HR versus the academic/PhD/professor route of the IO programs.

• 5 months later...