Eugene, OR

Guest guest

Hahahaha so true...

I would suggest getting a good-quality raincoat; not a flimsy water-repellent shell, but one with a bit more heft to it. A thin, unlined raincoat will leave you shivering in the rain because it won't insulate you at all. You can either go for a lined Gore-tex (doesn't have to be a fleece lining or anything, just more than the windbreaker) or a classic plastic raincoat. If you do get an unlined water-resistant windbreaker, invest in sweaters :)

I always got my rainboots at Target/Payless. The general rule of thumb with rainwear is that if you're a girl wearing it, it should be cute so you can play it off as not being functional (even it totally is). If you're a guy... invest in a pair of hiking shoes or treated leather boots.

And while you can use an umbrella and still be from Oregon... it's easier to just go without IMO. If it's just a drizzle and you use an umbrella, you're definitely an out of towner and if it's coming down hard chances are there's enough wind that the umbrella is useless anyways.

I would suggest Craigslist, really. A lot of people lock in Fall leases and roommates before they leave school in June, so August is the second big scramble to find leases that start in September. That being said, there are month-to-month quads you can rent (shared kitchen, own bathroom/bedroom) as a temporary place to stay while you look for a lease/roommate.

Another option is if there are any graduate student forums/listservs at UO (I know, for example, my undergrad program had a listserv) you can try and tap into those for housing options.

Also, for anyone looking to be amused... most of these go for Eugene residents as well as Portlandians :)

http://www.thefrisky.com/2012-04-11/10-things-about-portland-that-are-actually-genuinely-non-ironically-weird/

• 9 months later...

A question for all you PhD folks at Oregon. I was recently accepted to a PhD program with an approximately $12,500/year ($1,400/mo. for 9months) teaching assistantship stipend. Is this pretty average from your experience? I'm not super familiar with cost of living, rent, food prices, etc. in Eugene and wonder if I would be able to get by on this amount without having to take on more work on the side. I expect my transportation expenses, etc. to be very very low, because my family lives in the area.

Thank you!!

I lived in Eugene for four and a half years during my undergrad. You'll be fine living off 1400/month. I lived in the Whitaker neighborhood, Laurel Hill area, College  Hill and RiverRoad. Each neighborhood had its own character and each was safe and fun. Eugene is known for its bicycle theft though. If you leave you bike locked up overnight, there is a good chance you'll wake in the morning to find it stripped of everything but the frame.

But I'd say its cheap and fun and most of the town is accessible by bike within minutes once you learn the shortcuts.

So who here is planning to attend U of O in the fall? I still have 8 schools to hear back from but Oregon has made me a very competitive offer and I am leaning towards accepting at this point. Any idea if April/May is too late to apply for graduate housing? 

So who here is planning to attend U of O in the fall? I still have 8 schools to hear back from but Oregon has made me a very competitive offer and I am leaning towards accepting at this point. Any idea if April/May is too late to apply for graduate housing? 

I could be wrong but in the past I applied to an M.S. program at UO and you are allowed to apply for graduate housing as soon as you apply for your specific program. If you decide not to accept their offer they will eventually just remove you from the wait list. So check it out to be sure, but I would apply right now, and hope to get graduate housing by the end of your first year if you attend. Its a long wait list! But once you get one, you wont give it up until you graduate. They have the best graduate housing I've seen anywhere. Actual homes with yards and porches in the campus area owned by UO, not just apartment complex's.

• 2 weeks later...

I could be wrong but in the past I applied to an M.S. program at UO and you are allowed to apply for graduate housing as soon as you apply for your specific program. If you decide not to accept their offer they will eventually just remove you from the wait list. So check it out to be sure, but I would apply right now, and hope to get graduate housing by the end of your first year if you attend. Its a long wait list! But once you get one, you wont give it up until you graduate. They have the best graduate housing I've seen anywhere. Actual homes with yards and porches in the campus area owned by UO, not just apartment complex's.

SInce you responded I thought you might want to know and this may be useful for anyone else wondering. So I haven't accepted the offer yet, but I went ahead and applied for housing regardless. There is a $50 application fee, but it seemed worth it to me. You are correct in stating that they have actual homes available for rent, however the wait on those is 12-18 months right now. I am hoping for a 1 bedroom apartment in graduate village and they responded that they expect to have one available by my preferred move in date which is August 1st. From what I understand graduate village has an approximately 6 month wait-list, the family apartments are 6-12 months and then the houses as mentioned are 12-18 months. Graduate village is more than adequate for my needs at the moment, but long term one of those houses would be great. 

^Glad I could help. That's a great location too. Within walking distance to Track Town Pizza, and since you'll need to burn off that pie, an easy walk to the student rec center too  :)

Plus you can walk to Autzen stadium on saturdays for the football games! If you decide to go, you'll love Eugene. Let me know if you have any specific questions. I delivered chinese while working my way through my undergrad there so I know the town well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just FYI, if you have grass/pollen allergies, it's possible your June finals will be straight-up hell for you, like they were for me. I don't have bad ones in other places, but there I spent the final two weeks of school unable to see out of my insanely itchy eyes, and sneezing uncontrollably, in spite of prescriptions from the health center. I don't know how long the allergy season lasts because I got out of dodge the second the last final was over.

• 9 months later...

Hi all,

I was recently accepted to the University of Oregon's PhD program in American/English literature! Anybody else accepted to either the MA and PhD programs in American/English literature at Oregon (Or the rhetoric people too :rolleyes:)? I am strongly considering this program/university/city for my graduate studies and actually just got back from a campus visit out there in Eugene, OR. I got to meet with faculty, graduate students, and see the city/university, including a trip to the Pacific coast and the surrounding natural environment (by the way, gorgeous area). Please let me know if you are thinking about attending or were accepted and either shoot me a message on the board or a PM. I really am set on this program and would love to connect with any of the cohort for this year! Go ducks! :)

• 11 months later...

I'm bumping this since I was accepted and want updated info! Sooo a couple of questions. First how easy is it to find a job in or near eugene? My boyfriend is moving with me and we want to get an overall feel for the job market. Also is eugene an overall great place to live? I guess what I mean by that is if its a clean city with low crime rates. My boyfriend was in grad school at fairbanks and he hated it. Fairbanks was pretty much unappealing in every way. Also does anyone have recommendations for apartments? We rather avoid the loud undergrads. This would be a great help, thanks!

I was also hoping to get some updated information on Eugene. Where do grad students typically live? I am vegan and was also wondering about the best restaurants, and any other things to know as a vegan headed to Eugene.

Hi! I'm also looking into housing in Eugene at the moment. I don't really want to live with a bunch of undergrads, so where should I go?? I'm looking into house sharing if anyone is interested. My funding is pretty low, though :s

Nnantes! I'm looking for housing too. I live in Idaho so am struggling to secure house from across state lines. I start UO this summer for my journalism master's program. Let me know if you find a place and are looking for someone who isn't a serial killer to live with.

2 hours ago, illogicalbones said:

Nnantes! I'm looking for housing too. I live in Idaho so am struggling to secure house from across state lines. I start UO this summer for my journalism master's program. Let me know if you find a place and are looking for someone who isn't a serial killer to live with.

Great! I sent you a PM. Anyone else out there looking for something?? The more we are the cheaper it will be - and, from experience, it's also really fun to live with a bunch of different people ;)

Nantes & Illogicalbones! I'll likely be looking for housing in Eugene, but wouldn't be moving out there until the late Aug/early Sept. Let me know if you guys work anything out or come across any helpful information in the process! Thanks! 

5 hours ago, ak13l said:

Nantes & Illogicalbones! I'll likely be looking for housing in Eugene, but wouldn't be moving out there until the late Aug/early Sept. Let me know if you guys work anything out or come across any helpful information in the process! Thanks! 

I will not be arriving before the end of Augustb either I don't think. Let's keep in touch! 

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I've just accepted a spot in an MA program at U of O, and am looking forward to moving to Eugene!  I just visited the campus and was impressed by how beautiful it was.  I'm hoping to share a house with a couple other grad students, so those of you attending in the fall, look for a PM from me.

• 11 months later...

I'm hoping to get some up-to-date info about Eugene. Anyone willing to share their ideas? 

It will be a huge move for me from the other side of the Atlantic. So I want to get a taste of what my life as a graduate student would look like in Eugene. I'm particularly curious about the intellectual and artistic life in the city. Are there a community of artists, literary activities (poetry readings, non-academic gatherings/conferences), old-school cafes, second-hand book shops, underground music venues, art galleries, etc.? 

The second question in my mind is about housing. After a quick search, I thought I might get lucky enough to find a hut in nature not far from the campus. Even the idea of this makes me happy. Do you think there would be such an option? Are there people living in huts? Would you recommend I go with off-campus housing instead?  

Finances is another issue. I'm trying to figure out what kind of a life a GE salary can afford. Please feel free to share how much you think is enough to live a decent life as a single person in Eugene. Any other info will also be appreciated!