Official HKS Thread

A bunch of us were discussing HKS in the "Waiting It Out" forum, and I thought it would be good to create a thread in this forum to group the conversation in one place.

Does anyone know when the admissions committee meets? Who is on the committee?

I have no idea. I just followed the link landed me here :)

That said, has anybody been offered any kind of interview, even if it is on the telephone or does HKS not do that?

I have no idea. I just followed the link landed me here :)

That said, has anybody been offered any kind of interview, even if it is on the telephone or does HKS not do that?

No interviews at all. Purely based on your paper application, test scores, and LOR. For better or worse!

I hear there is a cut-off GRE score and below that is essentially a DQ. Does anyone know what the cut-off is? Does anyone think that a 4.0 on AW is a deal-breaker?

I am afraid of this cut-off GRE score! Absolutely frightening. Is it for all programs? I applied for the MPP. If you find out what the cut off is, please post it here.

A 4 on AW is more than fine. My understanding is that most schools do not care about your AW, as long as it isn't at the very bottom.

I'm looking to apply for fall 2012 and though HKS is on my list, I am not sure how to deal with the issue of leadership.

I hear quite often that HKS is looking to recruit future leaders... I'm having problems here, so I am wondering how did you guys manage to convey leadership in your applications?

some tips would be great :) thank you

Happy to talk about it after Feb 1 (when the rest of my apps are due), I think I did well in this regard. Feel free to PM me then.

I'm looking to apply for fall 2012 and though HKS is on my list, I am not sure how to deal with the issue of leadership.

I hear quite often that HKS is looking to recruit future leaders... I'm having problems here, so I am wondering how did you guys manage to convey leadership in your applications?

some tips would be great :) thank you

I wonder what they do with the applications from December until now. Does it just sit around? I mean the business school takes in applications in October and spits them out December. I can't imagine their process being too different?

Hey all,

Has anybody received a request to complete the financial aid form. I've already filled out the main HKS forms but haven't finished the fellowship ones?

I think you should have gotten an email around the 15th with your PIN

Due on Feb 24th. If you're a US student, don't forget to do your taxes - you need your AGI and W2 information to fill out your FAFSA

I actually got the email for financial aid letter during December 15th, I completed it, but I also applied for fellowships which I hadn't completed and I received an email saying this should be completed by the 24th of Feb. I think it was just a standardised response for international students.

I actually got the email for financial aid letter during December 15th, I completed it, but I also applied for fellowships which I hadn't completed and I received an email saying this should be completed by the 24th of Feb. I think it was just a standardised response for international students.

grrrr...i totally missed this out....are you talking about all applicants to HKS? I applied for PhD program, shall i submit or apply for the fellowship as well??

Cheers!

Yeah it applies to HKS only. Basically I received an email with regards to funding as I am an International Student, and they responded with an email which stated I may be eligible to apply for financial aid (which I applied for), and I also ticked several boxes relating to fellowships. For each fellowship I had to submit my cv and essay. I think you should get in contact with them. You may have not applied for it. Also here's a link: http://www.hks.harvard.edu/degrees/sfs/prospective-students/fellowships-scholarships/intl/hks-affiliated#heading_03 check it out. I thought that every one received the same email

Yeah it applies to HKS only. Basically I received an email with regards to funding as I am an International Student, and they responded with an email which stated I may be eligible to apply for financial aid (which I applied for), and I also ticked several boxes relating to fellowships. For each fellowship I had to submit my cv and essay. I think you should get in contact with them. You may have not applied for it. Also here's a link: http://www.hks.harva...ated#heading_03 check it out. I thought that every one received the same email

Yup--I went through the same process for HKS.

Yeah it applies to HKS only. Basically I received an email with regards to funding as I am an International Student, and they responded with an email which stated I may be eligible to apply for financial aid (which I applied for), and I also ticked several boxes relating to fellowships. For each fellowship I had to submit my cv and essay. I think you should get in contact with them. You may have not applied for it. Also here's a link: http://www.hks.harva...ated#heading_03 check it out. I thought that every one received the same email

I am an international applicant as well, and I got the mail you're talking about on Feb 1. I've completed the statement of funds form through MYFAID, but am still to submit the essays and cv for the fellowships.

Edited by sifar

Hi Guys,

i have double checked the email contains MYFAID, and on KSG's website provided by IdealThink(thanks for this!!), and other pages and now i am pretty much sure that as an applicant or potential PhD candidate, no need to submit separate fellowship. Also in the email regarding MYFAID, it says '**For Masters applicants, please refer to the section below regarding financial aid if you would like to be considered for any financial need- or merit-based assistance.**

Thanks though for giving me links and remind me on this :)))

Cheers!!

I am not an international student but I also recieved this email as well! Does anyone know if it is an indication of anything. I see in the MYFAID Section where they assign you a Financial Aid Counselor. I would think that it my be a little bias to ask you to submit such personal information then reject you. It could be possibly argued that you may be rejected based on "factors" other than merit? What makes me more nervous is if you read the information instructions in the Financial Email and the MyFAID site it sounds as if they talk to you as if you are already a student. I cant wait!

Did anybody apply for the MPA/ID at KSG? I applied with quant GRE of 710, Master's training in applied econometrics from the U.S. 3years of working experience with the ministry of agriculture in an african country,Internship with the Jeff Sach's team at the earth institute, Columbia.

I have taken grad level classes like:

Intro to econometrics,

applied econometric analysis,

advanced applied econometrics,

intro to mathematical statistics,

mathematics for economists,

consumption economics,

production economics,

economic policy for developing countries.

Biostatistics.

I have a second class upper bachelor's degree in agricultural economics from an african university. I have SIPA admission but I deferred it cus I wanted to try the MPA/ID.

Do I stand a chance or forget about it? tell me

I'm sure you'll be just fine. The MPA/ID program class seems to comprise of a good number of students from developing countries that intend to do work to help their home countries, whether directly via their respective governments of via international organizations, and you also seem to have the necessary quantitative experience. The only concern I would have is whether you demonstrated to the admissions committee that you even need the degree, given that you already have a master's degree in economics.

You can never guarantee these things, but I'm sure you stand a good chance. :)

I am not an international student but I also recieved this email as well! Does anyone know if it is an indication of anything. I see in the MYFAID Section where they assign you a Financial Aid Counselor. I would think that it my be a little bias to ask you to submit such personal information then reject you. It could be possibly argued that you may be rejected based on "factors" other than merit? What makes me more nervous is if you read the information instructions in the Financial Email and the MyFAID site it sounds as if they talk to you as if you are already a student. I cant wait!

Yeah I know it makes you think that if they didn't like your application etc, why would they bother waste their time to find out your financial situation. But that said today I received another email reminder (not sure if anyone else did - if you have let me know) and on the bottom it says the following:

"Review of your financial aid status is done independent of the review of your application for admission and therefore receipt of this email should not be construed as suggesting the likelihood of any particular admission decision."

so basically, I think it's quite doubtful that if we got these emails, it means were going to get a place. Technically it's a 50% chance, it's a yes or no. lol.

Yes, I got the same email today.

Yeah I know it makes you think that if they didn't like your application etc, why would they bother waste their time to find out your financial situation. But that said today I received another email reminder (not sure if anyone else did - if you have let me know) and on the bottom it says the following:

"Review of your financial aid status is done independent of the review of your application for admission and therefore receipt of this email should not be construed as suggesting the likelihood of any particular admission decision."

so basically, I think it's quite doubtful that if we got these emails, it means were going to get a place. Technically it's a 50% chance, it's a yes or no. lol.

• 2 weeks later...

I do not think the first master's degree will be a problem because last year, 29% of their admits had graduate degrees.I just have W's (Withdrawn) on my transcript for medical reasons

which I learnt they do not like.However, I explained to them what happened to me in one of my essays. I am a Phd student in Pharmacy now,but I want a development program since it will be better for my career objective as a development practitioner in Africa(My home continent) than the science PHD.I didnt have a problem with SIPA , they admitted me but I think the MPA/ID will fit me better.

Has anyone heard anything?