Met Internships

zoltan

I do know I tend toward pessimism when I really have my heart set on something...

I tend towards wanting to know if I can book airfare to see my family in Minnesota, get hired as a Zumba instructor, and sign up for an archaeological field school!

I just sent an email asking to clarify if they had already contacted all finalists... not that I'm expecting any good news at this point. Le sigh!

I just sent an email asking to clarify if they had already contacted all finalists... not that I'm expecting any good news at this point. Le sigh!

Thank you for doing this. I want to shake my tiny fist in indignation. I think 50 bucks merits a "thanks but no thanks" as soon as they've decided.

Hey, everyone. I'm new to the forums and I thought I'd post because I'm in exactly the same boat.

I'm a graduating senior who applied for the Photography and Modern Art departments, and I haven't heard back for the interviews either.

Good luck to everyone!

ouch. You think there's any hope?

Who knows... no response yet to my inquiry about finalist notifications. It's sort of strange to think that they wouldn't have the courtesy to notify those who are definitively out of the running as soon as possible so that other plans can be made, etc. I suppose since no one has actually reported hearing anything concrete, one possibility is that they haven't yet finished (or begun?) notifying finalists. At any rate, here's hoping for some glimmer of communication in the next few days.

I would like to think that one of the five or more of us on here waiting it out would have gotten to the interview stage. There are forty people who will earn an interview, meaning that the number of finalists has to be over forty, and the internet's too small for there not to be at least one of the finalists here...right?

If there are any lurkers on this thread you should speak up :)

It seems like there are two contradictions between emails and the website. The website says that not all departments will need interviews from grad students, while the email makes it sound as if interviews are a requisite. Also, the website says that all interviews will happen in-house, whereas the email mentions telephone interviews for people out of the Metropolitan NYC area. (I'm particularly interested in the latter, being a bit far away from NYC - close enough to make a day trip down with a bit of planning, but screwed if they want me to interview during the week or on short notice.) I get that it's probably a mess to have to intake applications, whittle them down to an interviewing pool, and set up paid internships in the space of a few months every single year, but I wish that there was more consistency and better communication.

I would like to think that one of the five or more of us on here waiting it out would have gotten to the interview stage. There are forty people who will earn an interview, meaning that the number of finalists has to be over forty, and the internet's too small for there not to be at least one of the finalists here...right?

If there are any lurkers on this thread you should speak up :)

It seems like there are two contradictions between emails and the website. The website says that not all departments will need interviews from grad students, while the email makes it sound as if interviews are a requisite. Also, the website says that all interviews will happen in-house, whereas the email mentions telephone interviews for people out of the Metropolitan NYC area. (I'm particularly interested in the latter, being a bit far away from NYC - close enough to make a day trip down with a bit of planning, but screwed if they want me to interview during the week or on short notice.) I get that it's probably a mess to have to intake applications, whittle them down to an interviewing pool, and set up paid internships in the space of a few months every single year, but I wish that there was more consistency and better communication.

Well, I e-mailed the office and received basically the exact same e-mail we've already seen, except the "is contacting" as changed to "has contacted"

yuck

Well, I e-mailed the office and received basically the exact same e-mail we've already seen, except the "is contacting" as changed to "has contacted"

yuck

You know, I'm ok. I was SUPER down about it the past few days, especially since I recently found out my EFC dollar amount was too high to apply to the Arts Intern program--which now puts me 'out' of an internship at the Frick, Folk Art Museum AND Noguchi Museum...I'm writing it off to a summer of 'almosts' and hitting my reset button.

I am kind of shocked none of us got called for interviews. Especially since we range in areas of interest, graduate v. undergraduate, etc.

Please...any lurkers, make me feel better and say "hey I got called in" so I know people ACTUALLY get called in...

Just received the following email (bcc'd, so I assume it was mass):

"Congratulations! You have been selected as a finalist for The Metropolitan Museum of Art’s paid summer internship program. Graduate students are not required to interview; we have sent your application to a department, and they will contact you should there be any questions."

Best of luck to everyone!

Hi, I've been lurking this thread and thought I'd ask some questions, if anyone is willing to answer.

I'm thinking of applying to the Met summer internship next year, but I'm curious, how do you know about the number of finalists, etc? (RecycledVicking mentioned there were 40 people who made it to the interview stage.) Does the Met disclose these figures in its correspondences with applicants? I'm curious because I have absolutely no idea what my chances are. Is there someplace that gives numbers on acceptance rates? And how many people ultimately get chosen to be in the program?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks, and best of luck to all who applied.

Hi, I've been lurking this thread and thought I'd ask some questions, if anyone is willing to answer.

I'm thinking of applying to the Met summer internship next year, but I'm curious, how do you know about the number of finalists, etc? (RecycledVicking mentioned there were 40 people who made it to the interview stage.) Does the Met disclose these figures in its correspondences with applicants? I'm curious because I have absolutely no idea what my chances are. Is there someplace that gives numbers on acceptance rates? And how many people ultimately get chosen to be in the program?

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks, and best of luck to all who applied.

Hi there!

I applied as an undergrad-but can give you a bit of info I've figured out. The Met does not disclose this info-I do know that it's one of the toughest internships to get, and upwards of 1500 people apply for 40 spaces. That number includes the Cloisters I believe-and that is disclosed on the Met website.

I don't know how people ultimately get chosen. I think it depends a lot on the departments you are interested in, as well as your background. As an undergrad, I have an internship at the Guggenheim LTA Program under my belt, a 3.96, lots of education experience and a 'different' background (acting) prior to my pursuit of an Art History degree. Now, I'm fancier because I got a paid internship at The Frick (woo), just got offered a school guide position (woo woo) and next semester will be taking loads more art history credits.

Best of luck everyone on intern-views! =)

• 2 weeks later...

hello everybody!

I'm from Italy and I applyed to a graduate paid Met internship.

on 4 February I got an email saying:

We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected as a semifinalist for the 2011–2012 Paid Internship Program for College and Graduate Students at The Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Finalists will be selected during the month of February. The Internship Office will contact finalists directly to schedule an interview. The Internship Coordinator will conduct telephone interviews with those candidates who are not located in the New York City metropolitan area.

if they didn't contact me yet, am I without hope to be choose as finalist???

thanx!

Hi guys,

I only have my BA but I've applied to the Met at least three or four years in a row, and without a doubt I'd received my disappointing letter of rejection every year in April. Last year, when they started doing the application fee (then only $35) I told myself this would be the last time I would apply -- especially since I was graduating (and could no longer qualify as a student) and my application at the time was the best it could be. However, I also applied for a paid year-long fellowship at the National Gallery in DC. Surprise to me, I actually heard back from NGA for second round interviews and was rejected by the Met for their little summer study outright, even though I suspect that I was a much better fit with the Met.

I'm not sure why the Met rejected me. I don't even feel like they looked at my application and that my money was completely wasted (hence why I refuse to apply again). The best way to do a Met internship is to do an unpaid one and then find outside grant funding (it exists) to pay for your stay in New York. That is, if you want the reputation. However, although getting this internship may look prestigious, I know some who intern at the Met and their duties are NOT glamorous. The departments are huge, they are given meaningless tasks, and there are a LOT of inter-battles that happen in the institution. It looks way better on your resume/cv if you have a worthwhile internship at a smaller institution that gives you more responsibilities. :)

thank you, fullofpink, for your infos.

actually I wanted to apply for National Gallery's internship but I couldn't because degree must have been received no earlier than 2010 and my degree was in december 2009.

I'm Italian and, as you surely know, in Italy it's very very hard working in the museum/Cultural Heritage field. in fact, after a Second-Level Degree in History of Art in 2007 and a Second-Level Master in Museology in 2009 (both with full marks) I still have no job!!!

go abroad is my only opportunity :wacko:

The best way to do a Met internship is to do an unpaid one and then find outside grant funding (it exists) to pay for your stay in New York. That is, if you want the reputation. However, although getting this internship may look prestigious, I know some who intern at the Met and their duties are NOT glamorous. The departments are huge, they are given meaningless tasks, and there are a LOT of inter-battles that happen in the institution. It looks way better on your resume/cv if you have a worthwhile internship at a smaller institution that gives you more responsibilities. :)

As a former Met Intern who did one of the unpaid internships for an entire year I have to agree that the paid summer thing, while nice, is not the only route. However I have to disagree that another institution with better responsibilities carries the same weight. As someone in a position to hire interns today I am well aware that all internships are non-glamorous drudge fests, but you can't discount the weight of the Met's name on your resume. I hate saying it but its true. I got my first "real" museum job because of it, and its still on my resume today six years and two museums later. Actually it would look best if you did both internships, one at the Met and one at a smaller institution. In fact do as many as you can, when I go to hire it is often the person with the most practical internship experience, and not the most education that gets the job. Hope that's helpful. Happy to answer any questions I can.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect this rather dead topic, but I'm really struggling with my decision to accept the Met internship I was offered.

I applied to the Modern and Photography departments, and outlined that I would be interested in other departments if these weren't available. I have lots of experience--three collaborative exhibitions, an exhibition I organized on my own, a yearlong internship with a respected curator of modern and contemporary art, and a short stint at a well respected museum of contemporary art. My interview went great, and I was really excited for everything, but now that my paperwork has arrived I see that I've been accepted as an intern in the communications department.

I am really grateful to have been considered at all, and I don't want to be whiny, but I have no experience in communications--I'm not even sure what it is. I just don't know if it'll be helpful to me at all. I'm graduating from undergrad this year with the intention of applying to grad school this fall. I'm just concerned that something like a communications internship may hurt me when it's so far removed from what I'm interested in.

Sorry if this is ranty and bratty--I just want some general guidance.