Do professors care if you wear sweatpants all the time?

InquilineKea

How would you guys compare this to wearing something like jeans and a pair of rainbow sandals (assuming you aren't in some kind of medical field or something where it would obviously be inappropriate)? Would that pretty universally considered to be ok under normal class conditions (assuming you aren't given a presentation or something like that)?

How would you guys compare this to wearing something like jeans and a pair of rainbow sandals (assuming you aren't in some kind of medical field or something where it would obviously be inappropriate)? Would that pretty universally considered to be ok under normal class conditions (assuming you aren't given a presentation or something like that)?

I wore jeans constantly for my master's program. No one cared.

But rainbow sandals? Need more info.

Rainbow as in the brand of flip-flop? Everyone at my undergrad wore those! (Even grad students!)

Those sandals last forever! I've had mine for 5 years and live my summers in them. Def worth the price!

Rainbow as in the brand of flip-flop? Everyone at my undergrad wore those! (Even grad students!)

Those sandals last forever! I've had mine for 5 years and live my summers in them. Def worth the price!

Yep, the brand. What in particular did you go to graduate school for?

Yep, the brand. What in particular did you go to graduate school for?

I am not a grad student (yet) but I took some grad classes in psych, stats and public health. My campus really didn't distinguish between grads/undergrads and we all sort of just blended together once you got to take upper-level classes.

I am not a grad student (yet) but I took some grad classes in psych, stats and public health. My campus really didn't distinguish between grads/undergrads and we all sort of just blended together once you got to take upper-level classes.

Cool. Where all are you applying to?

I'm officially old. In the pictures of my birth, my sister is wearing those.

I stick to the rule that if you were old enough to wear them the first time, you can't wear them when they come back in style.

I feel that way about stir-up pants. When I was in college they came "back in" on my campus. I have many a childhood photo with the little stir-up hanging out of my sneaker because I was so disheveled.

Perhaps ironically, I am often teased by profs because I am the most dressed up person in our entire dept. Even on jeans days I'm usually wearing lots of jewelry and curl my hair and I never go to campus without make up. (What can I say? When I was 13 I wanted to be a fashion designer.lol)

I wish the girls I meet in the coming fall would be like you...

fsmn36: I'm like you. I don't dress up that much (I usually wear jeans and a nice blouse/top), but I never go out without make up. (It's interesting that Eisenmann seams to like this; I always had the feeling men don't like it that much). When I was a teenager, I had pretty bad skin and that was when I started wearing make up. Until today, I still feel self-conscious about my skin and I wear make up every single day.

As I already mentioned in this thread: I would never never NEVER ever wear sweatpants or yoga-pants to class. That's just something we don't do here.

And Eisenmann, are you German?

I don't like girls with heavy and overdone make up, if that is what you are wondering, but I do like it when a girl actually cares enough about her appearance to dress up and try to make herself look presentable (some of the people at my school don't seem to care). The jewelry might be over doing it, especially for school.

I don't like girls with heavy and overdone make up, if that is what you are wondering, but I do like it when a girl actually cares enough about her appearance to dress up and try to make herself look presentable (some of the people at my school don't seem to care). The jewelry might be over doing it, especially for school.

If you were out looking for dates, your preferences about the feminine countenance would matter, but the non-makeup-wearing female members of your cohort will just have to do without your tender attentions I suppose. What a shame for them. I am curious, since you don't mention it - what are your requirements for the dress of men? I trust they are just as exacting, or that men do a better job of following them since you don't include them as members of the school who don't care about appearances.

If you were out looking for dates, your preferences about the feminine countenance would matter, but the non-makeup-wearing female members of your cohort will just have to do without your tender attentions I suppose. What a shame for them. I am curious, since you don't mention it - what are your requirements for the dress of men? I trust they are just as exacting, or that men do a better job of following them since you don't include them as members of the school who don't care about appearances.

My requirements? The point I was trying to make was that people should dress for the "job" and present themselves as how they want to be perceived.

Edited by Eisenmann

My requirements? The point I was trying to make was that people should dress for the "job" and present themselves as how they want to be perceived.

While I totally understand this for grad students (I would not show up to work in sweats), undergraduates sitting in on a lecture are there to learn and generally aren't receiving payment to do so. What they wear (as long as it isn't offensive), really doesn't matter. As a grad student being funded by the department, yeah, I would dress up. But as an undergrad paying for tuition, I would dress up when necessary or whenever I felt like it. If I wanted to get in an extra mile or two at the gym and skip the make-up, then I did.

Then again, I come from departments where professors wear socks with sandals so ANYTHING above that is generally seen as an improvement. =) (Nothing live a pair of Tevas with gym socks. Sexy.)

Edited by eat.climb.love

Makeup on women in this culture, for example, is designed to increase the appearance of youth and sexual availability or arousal. So why is that presenting them the way they want to be perceived? Maybe the purpose is not to be decorative but to, you know, learn.

Makeup on women in this culture, for example, is designed to increase the appearance of youth and sexual availability or arousal. So why is that presenting them the way they want to be perceived? Maybe the purpose is not to be decorative but to, you know, learn.

I wasn't talking about makeup per se. I was talking more about the whole image.

Yes learning is pretty important in school (no kidding?), but I feel as grad students, you are representing the school or at the very least, you are a "product" of the school. For my undergrad, I had company representatives and investors just drop by randomly to see our progress on the project that they were paying us to do. We might have gave our professor a bad image if we were not dressed decently and his funding/grants may be reduce or even cut.

Then again, I come from departments where professors wear socks with sandals so ANYTHING above that is generally seen as an improvement. =)

I have to say for me sweatpants to class are wayyyyyy worse than socks with sandals ;-) (I don't wear both, just in case you are wondering)

And Eisenmann (who still didn't answer my question concerning his nationality): I think I understood you the way you meant it. I see grad school more as a job than school. And for a job everybody (no matter if you're a man or a woman) should dress appropriately. I don't care if women wear makeup or not - it's everybody's own choice. I do, because it makes me feel more secure and gives me more confidence in myself. And that's really the point I think. I believe nobody can be really confident and present himself in a good way in front of professors or a class in sweatpants.