Sorry--I failed to ask if they've all been sent out. I think they should all be sent out by next Wednesday, however, as that was when I was requested to RSVP for the Visit Weekend.

I would assume all of the admits have been sent. That said, nobody has posted a wait list notification from Vandy. For those of us who haven't heard, I would think that the W/L is our only hope at this point. I'd be thrilled to receive one at this point (I'd absolutely love to work with Lynn Enterline).

I would assume all of the admits have been sent. That said, nobody has posted a wait list notification from Vandy. For those of us who haven't heard, I would think that the W/L is our only hope at this point. I'd be thrilled to receive one at this point (I'd absolutely love to work with Lynn Enterline).

Well.., not to destroy any hopes out there, but I do know someone who has been waitlisted by Vanderbilt. So for most of us who haven't heard anything at all, I think it means a no. I suppose it could mean some kind of second-string waitlist, if you want to be optimistic wink.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Got my official rejection email just now. Here they come - watch out! That's three rejections in two days -- I knew I was rejected from Vanderbilt from the acceptances and waitlists going out, so this is not too much of a shock. But wow, March is starting out as a really fun month! Good thing I have today and tomorrow off of work.

Got my official rejection email just now. Here they come - watch out! That's three rejections in two days -- I knew I was rejected from Vanderbilt from the acceptances and waitlists going out, so this is not too much of a shock. But wow, March is starting out as a really fun month! Good thing I have today and tomorrow off of work.

I'm out too. I thought I'd be much more upset over my rejections than I am, but I guess they all did come after my acceptance which makes it sting less. hope you hear some good news soon!

I'm out too. I thought I'd be much more upset over my rejections than I am, but I guess they all did come after my acceptance which makes it sting less. hope you hear some good news soon!

I'm out as well. Vandy was my absolute top choice going in. I still have 4 live apps (I'm considering Notre Dame and UVA as implicit rejections at this point), including a wait-list at my initial 2nd choice (now officially my first choice), so I'm not quite doomed yet. Regardless, I'm already starting the revision process on my SoP (instead of working on my thesis :) ).

I received my rejection today as well. Somehow, it didn't bother me--probably something to do with the month long gap between notifying the accepted and notifying us. Maybe this is their way of humanely letting us down?

Hmmm, where is my rejection? If they hadn't already notified acceptances, not having been rejected might give me hope, but alas I know I'm unofficially out and would like official word!

Same here. I tried to check the online app, but as far as I can tell, no decision has been made (or at least posted). Or it could be the poor organization of said app. :X

Same here. I tried to check the online app, but as far as I can tell, no decision has been made (or at least posted). Or it could be the poor organization of said app. :X

I know, their online system is so chaotic! But mine too does seem to say that there's no decision, when I'm quite sure there is one! Glad I'm not alone--in that case I'd worry that they never even considered my app somehow!

I know, their online system is so chaotic! But mine too does seem to say that there's no decision, when I'm quite sure there is one! Glad I'm not alone--in that case I'd worry that they never even considered my app somehow!

Haha, me too. I definitely double checked to see if I had submitted it after seeing that.

Yea - there wasn't much sting for Penn, Brown, and Vandy. I was already pretty aware I wasn't getting into those programs. I have some implicit rejections as well, but no one is being officially nixed until I get the actual rejection, ya never know! Congrats on the FSU acceptance, and thanks for the encouragement. Maybe I'm supposed to stay in the south (or go to the deep south) those are my only schools left! :) I have said since I submitted my applications that if I get in I think it will be Mississippi, Alabama, or LSU. Perhaps it will be a self-fufilling prophecy.

Yea - there wasn't much sting for Penn, Brown, and Vandy. I was already pretty aware I wasn't getting into those programs. I have some implicit rejections as well, but no one is being officially nixed until I get the actual rejection, ya never know! Congrats on the FSU acceptance, and thanks for the encouragement. Maybe I'm supposed to stay in the south (or go to the deep south) those are my only schools left! :) I have said since I submitted my applications that if I get in I think it will be Mississippi, Alabama, or LSU. Perhaps it will be a self-fufilling prophecy.

I'm apparently a man of many climates. I have 4 apps left in the game (I'm assuming UVA and Notre Dame are out).

UMD

Rochester

UNLV

Florida

So I've got slush, snow, desert and Floridian heat still in play. My surviving apps compose a bio-dome (sans Pauly Shore).

Wishing for the best, Lolopixie! I don't know much about Ole Miss' English department, but I have been on the campus twice for a tour--beautiful place!

Just silence on my end, too.

Are there others still waiting on this? I'm fully expecting a rejection, I would just appreciate if it would make its appearance sooner rather than later!

Just silence on my end, too.

My girlfriend had also had silence, so she emailed. She was told that she was on some sort of "secret waitlist" beyond the regular waitlist. She was also told pretty much no chance at being admitted, since they have 8 spots, 11 admits, and admits accept 75-80% of the time. However, they didn't want to reject her yet just in case an entire class of phd admits magically disappear. If you have not heard, you are likely in the same boat.

My girlfriend had also had silence, so she emailed. She was told that she was on some sort of "secret waitlist" beyond the regular waitlist. She was also told pretty much no chance at being admitted, since they have 8 spots, 11 admits, and admits accept 75-80% of the time. However, they didn't want to reject her yet just in case an entire class of phd admits magically disappear. If you have not heard, you are likely in the same boat.

Wow - if this is really true, then it certainly explains a lot! I've been waiting to hear news from them for what seems like FOREVER. I guess Vandy doesn't want to get our hopes up by putting us on an official waitlist, which is nice of them (slash a teensy bit cruel).

I shot them an email and here is their reply,which is basically a rejection wrapped up in very sophisticated rhetoric:

"Your file is a very strong one and you made our first cut. Unfortunately , you are not among those who have received an initial offer, and you are not on the official alternate list. This means it’s highly improbable, but not outside the realm of the possible, for you to receive an offer this year—all of that depends on how many people say no to us. While we are unwilling to send you a rejection at this point given all that is still up in the air, it is also true that the possibility of our admitting you this year is extremely slim."

I mean, I'll take this, for my pride's sake, but really: if they're going to have a really large wait-list that involves some people having almost no chance of getting an offer, then why don't they just call the whole thing a wait-list and be frank about it? Are there university restrictions on wait-list size or something? This is just more genuine befuddlement than anything else -- what a bizarre, bizarre policy.

I shot them an email and here is their reply,which is basically a rejection wrapped up in very sophisticated rhetoric:

"Your file is a very strong one and you made our first cut. Unfortunately , you are not among those who have received an initial offer, and you are not on the official alternate list. This means it’s highly improbable, but not outside the realm of the possible, for you to receive an offer this year—all of that depends on how many people say no to us. While we are unwilling to send you a rejection at this point given all that is still up in the air, it is also true that the possibility of our admitting you this year is extremely slim."

I haven't heard from them either. Would you recommend e-mailing them? Who did you contact?