Carbondale, IL

LukeKY

The general consensus seems to be that the west side of town is better. :) I'm just worried about finding an apartment across the internet, because I suspect most of the smaller (and cheap, but decent) places don't have websites or much of an online presence. I'm also reluctant to take out a lease on anything that I haven't been able to check out in person.

Again, as an international student, I won't be able to show up in Carbondale any earlier than August. Would it still be possible to find a place at that time, or is everything likely to be booked already?

EDIT: Ack, sorry! Typoed 'east' instead of 'west'.

Edited by Nibs

The general consensus seems to be that the east side of town is better. :) I'm just worried about finding an apartment across the internet, because I suspect most of the smaller (and cheap, but decent) places don't have websites or much of an online presence. I'm also reluctant to take out a lease on anything that I haven't been able to check out in person.

Again, as an international student, I won't be able to show up in Carbondale any earlier than August. Would it still be possible to find a place at that time, or is everything likely to be booked already?

I'd try to book before, I picked 1 place and stayed there 2 years so I don't really know the market that well.  I would not suggest the place I stayed, University Village, as they are unethical people and the place is unsafe (people were stabbed in my complex, I was attacked, people coming home from pinch penny/bars really drunk and causing touble, a lot of undergrads). And btw, that is the east side of campus, I maintain my position that North of campus is the best option. 

On 2/23/2015 at 1:20 AM, GeoDUDE! said:

I'd try to book before, I picked 1 place and stayed there 2 years so I don't really know the market that well.  I would not suggest the place I stayed, University Village, as they are unethical people and the place is unsafe (people were stabbed in my complex, I was attacked, people coming home from pinch penny/bars really drunk and causing touble, a lot of undergrads). And btw, that is the east side of campus, I maintain my position that North of campus is the best option. 

EEP -- my mistake, I meant 'west'. Everyone I've spoken to so far has recommended the west/north side of town and cautioned against the east, so I agree with you! And I've heard some horror stories about University Village. Definitely crossing that one off my list.

I've sort of been eyeing Elizabeth Apartments. It's a touch on the expensive side, but I think it might be worth it for the added security/stability of living on-campus -- at least for my first year? I was also looking at some apartments on University Avenue, leased by something called Five Star Realty... anyone know anything about these guys?

• 2 weeks later...

Not to spam, but... discreet bump? SIUC is my only acceptance so far, so the decision is a moot point, but I'd really like to hear people's thoughts on what life there is like.

I'd really like to hear people's thoughts on what life there is like.

Hey nibbs. SIUC is an ok place to live if you dont require much... the town isn't hopping at all. Its a lot of undergrads, dumpy bars, and mediocre restaurants. The quality of student is very low, on average. I would never want to live there again. 

There is also a reasonable amount of crime, the town residents that aren't students and don't work for the school are very poor. The undergraduates are also very roudy. 

There are some golden nuggets, some decent outdoor/hiking activities, some cheap wineries in the area, but its very rural. 

I really liked working with my advisor, and made a few good friends, but I couldn't wait to get outta that place. For references, I have lived in LA,Boston,and NYC before living in carbondale. While I do prefer the city, I think that even for people who want a modicum of variety in their life carbondale is very sub par. 

There are very few people on this forum who has lived there, so you probably won't get many other opinions. There are people who like living there... but a majority of those people haven't lived anywhere else interesting. 

Edited by GeoDUDE!

• 1 month later...

Hi Nibs, if you are still thinking on going to Carbondale and still figuring out housing, My advise would be: get grad housing with SIU, it is sort of cheap, and it comes fully furnished. The lease is for one semester only (actually, from august to december, so even less than that. It should buy you time to check out the town, search for places to live in person and buy furniture on a decent pace. Even, you can use Saluki Express to go to school and in the meantime save some money to buy a car as well.

Grad housing is not super nice or anything, but you will survive the few months there while looking for a better place, as opposed to get a place online and hating it for the rest of the lease term (likely, one year).

• 2 weeks later...

I will be attending SIU in the fall for their MS BAT Program. I am trying to find a cheap studio or apartment that allows dogs. I don't want to get stuck near the rowdy undergrads, so any suggestions for places to live would be great. So far, the only cheap options I am finding online are Saluki apartments (which seem to have mixed reviews all around, better more recently than older reviews), and Ashburn Court apartments. Does anyone know anything about these two places, or have any other suggestions?

• 4 years later...

This is probably a longshot since this thread has not been updated since 2015, but does anyone know of any facebook groups or such of current graduate students at SIU? I am considering renting a house instead of an apartment and was looking for potential housemates.

• 1 year later...

Are there any updates on Carbondale for 2021? The information that has already been posted is very useful, but I want to know more about the people and about hiking/trail options in the area. Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2021 at 4:46 PM, rin__iris said:

Are there any updates on Carbondale for 2021? The information that has already been posted is very useful, but I want to know more about the people and about hiking/trail options in the area. Thank you!

I did my undergrad there. Giant City is a short drive away and has some cool trails. Garden of the Gods and Ferne Clyffe are a little farther away, but really great hiking spots. 

There's a split between the university affiliated people and the locals, with the locals being more Southern culturally and the university being more Northern. I've found most people to be pretty nice in the area.