Guest Cheryl B

New Brunswick, NJ

On 1/11/2018 at 1:44 PM, GCBrittany said:

Bumping this thread. Curious about living situations near campus. If accepted I'll be looking for housing that is a within reasonable driving distance to campus, suitable for myself, my spouse, my 11yo daughter, and our two dogs. Good school district required. Apartment life isn't really our thing, we're hoping to find a townhouse/duplex/rental home with a private entrance.

Any suggestions?

I haven't lived in NJ for years, but you could look at East Brunswick.  I grew up there and the school district is known to be good (though I attended private schools so don't know first hand.) I think there are a few parts that offer reasonable housing options.  It's a little far (maybe 30 minutes) but I am now in grad school with a family with a similar commute and it's quite doable.  My mom has also commuted East Brunswick to hospitals near Rutgers for years and finds it quite doable.

Commuters dilemma here: my partner and I are both planning to start PhDs this fall at Columbia and Rutgers. Obviously we would prefer living together with our pup and in Jersey for financial reasons. We could have a car (or not depending on what's easier most cost effective) but want a manageable commute for both of us as our first year will be a lot of on campus obligations, though no teaching in the first year. Is it possible? Suggestions?

21 hours ago, narple said:

Commuters dilemma here: my partner and I are both planning to start PhDs this fall at Columbia and Rutgers. Obviously we would prefer living together with our pup and in Jersey for financial reasons. We could have a car (or not depending on what's easier most cost effective) but want a manageable commute for both of us as our first year will be a lot of on campus obligations, though no teaching in the first year. Is it possible? Suggestions?

Did you look in the Newark/Morristown areas? Or maybe just a tad closer to NB, since I guess you'd be driving and your partner would be using transportation?

Bumping this.

Accepted to Rutgers and I've never lived anywhere but Texas. What I'm concerned with:

1. Finding a roommate as a PhD student- I don't think cohabitating with an undergraduate would be wise for my sanity.

2.  Grocery stores- Living in Texas I have access to baller produce on every corner and I've heard things like HEB (Texas mecca of grocery stores), Central Market, or even Whole foods are hard to come by. I do all of my own cooking and meal prep for the entire week in one day, so a good store is imperative for me.

3. Dog-friendliness within the city- I live in Austin where dogs are fine in a lot of places like bars and coffee shops. Is that the same here?

4. Nearby areas to live that aren't in New Bruinswick- what's safe and not? What's feasible to commute and not? Is the bus/transport system decent? I've heard it's not quite bike-friendly.

On 2/24/2018 at 3:44 PM, Clongoria90 said:

Bumping this.

Accepted to Rutgers and I've never lived anywhere but Texas. What I'm concerned with:

1. Finding a roommate as a PhD student- I don't think cohabitating with an undergraduate would be wise for my sanity.

2.  Grocery stores- Living in Texas I have access to baller produce on every corner and I've heard things like HEB (Texas mecca of grocery stores), Central Market, or even Whole foods are hard to come by. I do all of my own cooking and meal prep for the entire week in one day, so a good store is imperative for me.

3. Dog-friendliness within the city- I live in Austin where dogs are fine in a lot of places like bars and coffee shops. Is that the same here?

4. Nearby areas to live that aren't in New Bruinswick- what's safe and not? What's feasible to commute and not? Is the bus/transport system decent? I've heard it's not quite bike-friendly.

Are you planning on getting an apartment or living on-campus? Rutgers offers two or three apartment-style housing situations that are for grad students only, so that might be an option. They also have an online portal for off-campus information, and a lot of times it mentions whether the lister is UG or grad. 

There is a Whole Foods about 15 minutes away near Edison(where I am based), though there might be another that is closer. Farmers markets are the kinds of places that have the best produce, though Stop and Shop can have some good stuff too. I find the selection definitely decent. A general not to keep in mind is that, unlike Texas, there are some foods you just cannot get/shouldn’t bother with in the winter. The end up being shipped in from all over and not good quality. 

I cannot speak to dog friendliness in New Brunswick specifically, but generally speaking, NJ is not quite as dog friendly as Texas/Arkansas, etc. 

the city has cleaned up a lot of the “bad” areas near New Brunswick in recent years, and the commute would be feasible from many cities in the area. From Edison, it is a 20-30 minute ride. (I am also considering attending for a PhD program) Plainfield/South Plainfield, Metuchen, and Somerville are all commutable, though all north of the river. I don’t have a ton of knowledge base for anything south of New Brunswick.