What were you doing when you received your acceptance?

YA_RLY

Been meaning to respond but the chaos of waiting during February prevented all of that lol. My first acceptance was... It happened in steps and it all started in January 31st. Basically was caught in surprise and was e-mail watching obsessively for most of these.

1st: I got an e-mail from someone in the admissions committee asking for a phone call. Nearly fainted seeing this e-mail, wasn't even doing anything at the time except talking to my SO.

2nd: I get the actual call with the verbal/unofficial acceptance a day after. I managed to get through the phone call but I probably sounded incredibly breathless.

3rd: Then I get the official letter from the department alongside my funding package 14 days after the phone call. This letter is what kept me sane through the sea of rejections.

4th: Then 9 days later I get the official okay from the Graduate Division and the option to actually register. This is where I actually let myself get excited lol. (I was hyped but my mind made up these scenarios of 'omg but what if' that messed with me all throughout last month). Registered a day after and can't be any happier to know where I'm going :) 

Edited by Ranmaag

I got info on funding from my top school today from two separate emails. Found out my dog has cancer, so then finding out my Master's is fully funded is an absolute dream come true today and much-needed good news. I was on the phone both times when I got the news today - first with my mom, checking my email and responding to a professor, and then with my best friend this evening.

I was freaking out all day about hearing back and I was literally drawing a bath to try and calm down when I got the email. I don’t know why I was flipping out so badly that day, but that was the day I found out I’m going to grad school! Needless to say I cried happy tears into that bath haha. 

7 minutes ago, MinDZ said:

I was freaking out all day about hearing back and I was literally drawing a bath to try and calm down when I got the email. I don’t know why I was flipping out so badly that day, but that was the day I found out I’m going to grad school! Needless to say I cried happy tears into that bath haha. 

I was the same way yesterday and I found out about funding today! It's almost like you can tell when the news is about to come, subconsciously or something.

I got upsetting news about a project I was a part of at work and was at my desk preparing to get chewed out by my boss when I saw a LinkedIn message from a current student in the program I applied to. She was reminding me that decisions were supposed to be out that day and wished me good luck. I immediately logged in to my email to find my letter of acceptance! 

I got just done with my classes that day and was walking with my classmates towards the bus stop to get home. We chatted about the status of my grad school apps and I told them that I am still waiting to get rejected from one of my top schools (I misspelled the name of that school in my sop, so I was 100% sure I would get rejected...in my defense, I thought it was spelled that way for at least the last 6 years). When I got to the bus stop, however, I saw an email from that school asking me to log into the portal to see the decision! I prepared myself emotionally to get a rejection, but to my huge surprise, it was an acceptance letter!!! 

On 3/17/2019 at 6:45 PM, blahblah_girl said:

I got just done with my classes that day and was walking with my classmates towards the bus stop to get home. We chatted about the status of my grad school apps and I told them that I am still waiting to get rejected from one of my top schools (I misspelled the name of that school in my sop, so I was 100% sure I would get rejected...in my defense, I thought it was spelled that way for at least the last 6 years). When I got to the bus stop, however, I saw an email from that school asking me to log into the portal to see the decision! I prepared myself emotionally to get a rejection, but to my huge surprise, it was an acceptance letter!!! 

Is it John Hopkins?

2 hours ago, LizKay said:

Apparently it’s Johns Hopkins, not John Hopkins. Weird...

5 hours ago, Ternwild said:

Wait.  How did you think it was spelt?

Yep. I only found out about it after I was googling photos of campus and finally (it wasn't my first time googling it, of course), I noticed that Google corrected my spelling. Somehow my brain managed to ignore that extra "s" this long. 

It made me feel better about my ignorance when I learned about this Mark Twain's quote:

“ The public is sensitive to little things, and they wouldn’t have full confidence in a college that didn’t know how to spell ‘John.’” 

3 hours ago, blahblah_girl said:

Yep. I only found out about it after I was googling photos of campus and finally (it wasn't my first time googling it, of course), I noticed that Google corrected my spelling. Somehow my brain managed to ignore that extra "s" this long. 

It made me feel better about my ignorance when I learned about this Mark Twain's quote:

“ The public is sensitive to little things, and they wouldn’t have full confidence in a college that didn’t know how to spell ‘John.’” 

Congrats on your acceptance!

Btw, I found this little gem on Wikipedia:

“His first name was inherited from his grandfather Johns Hopkins who received his first name when his mother Margaret Johns married Gerard Hopkins.”

And this:

“Milton Eisenhower, a former university president, once spoke at a convention in Pittsburgh where the Master of Ceremonies introduced him as ‘President of John Hopkins.’ Eisenhower retorted that he was ‘glad to be here in Pittburgh.’”

Edited by LizKay

2 hours ago, LizKay said:

Congrats on your acceptance!

Btw, I found this little gem on Wikipedia:

“His first name was inherited from his grandfather Johns Hopkins who received his first name when his mother Margaret Johns married Gerard Hopkins.”

And this:

“Milton Eisenhower, a former university president, once spoke at a convention in Pittsburgh where the Master of Ceremonies introduced him as ‘President of John Hopkins.’ Eisenhower retorted that he was ‘glad to be here in Pittburgh.’”

Thank you!

And I absolutely love the Eisenhower's quote!

44 minutes ago, blahblah_girl said:

Thank you!

And I absolutely love the Eisenhower's quote!

Well Johns Hopkins is a stupid way to spell John and I refuse it.  It is now John Hopkins for ever more.  You can't tell me otherwise.  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

20 hours ago, Ternwild said:

Well Johns Hopkins is a stupid way to spell John and I refuse it.  It is now John Hopkins for ever more.  You can't tell me otherwise.  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

lol I support you! Considering that I got accepted despite writing John Hopkins 3(!!) times in my sop and personal statement (there were 2 separate essays to submit), the admission committee has accepted this spelling as well. 

I can finally add my story here!

I was at the UNC Prospectives' Weekend and received a phone call from Baylor while I was in the car on the way to the airport. It was super weird to get a call from one university that I'd been accepted in the middle of touring another university! The people in the car were really nice and let me take the call, and the UNC student was very congratulatory, as she knew this was my first PhD acceptance of the season. 

Glad my first acceptance could be memorable!

I was literally at another interview (a very late one, the beginning of March) and was freaking out because everyone I knew had already heard from all or most of their programs, and I hadn't heard anything. I was just checking my email to see if I had anything from lab, and the acceptance popped up! I called my boyfriend and just burst into tears on the phone I was so relieved. He was a bit thrown off, but once I could talk he was super excited for me. I was just so happy, I think the energy translated to my last interview, which I also got an acceptance from a week later!

On 3/27/2019 at 7:24 AM, Nothingtown said:

Glad my first acceptance could be memorable!

Don't you mean awkward? lol I would feel very awkward getting a PhD phone call while on a tour for a Masters.  I mean, they know almost instantly you aren't going to take the Masters at that point. xD

10 hours ago, Ternwild said:

Don't you mean awkward? lol I would feel very awkward getting a PhD phone call while on a tour for a Masters.  I mean, they know almost instantly you aren't going to take the Masters at that point. xD

Oh it was definitely awkward. Actually they were both PhD offers, but I was waitlisted at UNC so I was getting an acceptance call while on tour with my waitlist which is sooooo awkward. I was trying hard not to sound suspiciously excited or anything but it was my first acceptance so I was really happy.

Just got my acceptance while I was checking my email at work while waiting for a protocol to finish.
I basically flew into my boss's office to tell him (he'd written me a letter of recommendation and has been super supportive through the process) and then texted my friends and boyfriend.

I've read this thread so many times... Can't believe I can finally comment.

I'm an international student from Israel. Only applied to Columbia's BME program and didn't really think I have a chance to get in. Yesterday around 2AM we came back from our friends and I was putting my baby to sleep, when suddenly I got an email to check the portal. The email said I a new tab is added called "offer".I logged in and a congratulations video started to play, with an official letter added. I still can't believe it's real.. I asked my husband to slap me in the face to make sure I'm not dreaming ???

Now I have to find out how are we going to pay for this...