Russian/East European Studies

Nice!

But wait, does that mean they're not comping the rest of your tuition? I've heard of some programs failing to do that, and according to my program director, that would be against the FLAS rules (can't confirm that independently right now).

Oh interesting. The FLAS is all I've heard about so far, but I'll do some digging.

Nice!

But wait, does that mean they're not comping the rest of your tuition? I've heard of some programs failing to do that, and according to my program director, that would be against the FLAS rules (can't confirm that independently right now).

They should waive/pay for the rest of the tuition over 18,000. It's part of an agreement that the school has with the government in order to qualify for FLAS funds. If they aren't following the FLAS regulations they could lose their funding eligibility for next year. I doubt they would risk that, so you should be fine.

They should waive/pay for the rest of the tuition over 18,000. It's part of an agreement that the school has with the government in order to qualify for FLAS funds. If they aren't following the FLAS regulations they could lose their funding eligibility for next year. I doubt they would risk that, so you should be fine.

This is quite possibly the best news ever.

Hey CREESies, has anyone else been given a deadline by which they have to accept or decline an offer of FLAS funding? Say, March 30th for example?

This kind of throws a wrench in the works and I'm wondering if there's any hope of receiving an extension on that.

Hey CREESies, has anyone else been given a deadline by which they have to accept or decline an offer of FLAS funding? Say, March 30th for example?

This kind of throws a wrench in the works and I'm wondering if there's any hope of receiving an extension on that.

Maybe it varies by program, but I could have sworn that mid-to-late April was the standard acceptance deadline for grad admissions. If one of your programs set a an earlier deadline than your other offers, you could try contacting the school and asking if they can give you more time to decide. March 30 seems way too early to me.

I'm not nataliedread, but I am a KU CREES alum (currently waiting on Ukrainian ETA Fulbright notification). I was waitlisted my first year for a FLAS (in Ukrainian) and found out late March that I got the funding. I was waitlisted my second year, too. I ended up getting the FLAS, but, not to freak everyone out, it is possible that you could get it the first but not the second year. It depends on who applies (and what new students they want to entice).

That said, I loved my program. Alex Tsiovkh is fantastic as the Ukrainian studies professor and his wife was great for my language training. The program is small, so you get a lot of attention in my experience. Lawrence is rad, too.

UMich FLAS decisions are in the mail, check your boxes...

Yep, found mine. I'm an alternate right now but I got the WCED fellowship, which I was not at all expecting (assumed it was based on GPA/GRE numbers but perhaps it's not).

Also got FLAS notification from Indiana in the mail today (which, along with KU, makes three alternate awards for me -- it seems I invoke general feelings of indifference in admissions committees which, I admit, I much prefer to derision or ) so look out for that as well, товарищи.

Yep, found mine. I'm an alternate right now but I got the WCED fellowship, which I was not at all expecting (assumed it was based on GPA/GRE numbers but perhaps it's not).

Also got FLAS notification from Indiana in the mail today (which, along with KU, makes three alternate awards for me -- it seems I invoke general feelings of indifference in admissions committees which, I admit, I much prefer to derision or ) so look out for that as well, товарищи.

Congrats on the WCED fellowship! I got one too, but only for $9000 (plus $3000 for the summer if I particpate in the seminar). I'm an alternate for FLAS. I also got the same concise letter from Indiana. So that makes two alternates and one rejection. I wonder how many people make it to the alternate list, though. I don't know if I should hold my breath...

Congrats on the WCED fellowship! I got one too, but only for $9000 (plus $3000 for the summer if I particpate in the seminar). I'm an alternate for FLAS. I also got the same concise letter from Indiana. So that makes two alternates and one rejection. I wonder how many people make it to the alternate list, though. I don't know if I should hold my breath...

Hey, congrats! I hope FLAS comes through for you -- do you have a top choice program? I also wonder how many people make the alternate list and what our chances are. I'll try to gently tease out some information from someone in the program and if I find anything of substance I'll let you know.

And I love your username. Makes me a little nostalgic for babushkas elbowing me in the kidneys to cut in the bus line. But only a little.

Thanks, Enzian! I guess I'm leaning towards Indiana because I got into the Slavic Lang/Lit dept (I'm hopeing to study Slavic linguistics). Slavic at IUB is top noch IMHO. But CREES at Ann Arbor is an awesome program too, and UMich is a great school!

In any case I have a English teaching job in Russia lined up. I need to give them an answer soon, and I'm inclined to do so because it's a done deal (whereas waiting for a FLAS to come through could prove futile). Plus I really miss the babushkas and kefir haha. But anything you find out would be greatly appreciated!!!

Hi everyone! I got a FLAS from Michigian and the WCED fellowship (for $15,000). I was also rejected for a FLAS from Wisconsin (this process is so weird, ammiright?)

So I'm try to decide between my alternate status for FLAS at Harvard, and the FLAS at Indiana, and the FLAS/WCED at Michigian...an embarassement of riches. The good news is that I'll have to turn down (at least) one of the FLAS's, so hopefully they will go to one of you gradcafers! I plan to make my decision at least a week before the deadline so hopefully that makes a difference.

Since I am planning to work after completing a master's, I think I am leaning toward Harvard (also Boston is a better location for my partner and it is closer to home for me) but I am trying to seriously consider Michigian....so many things to think about!

Still waiting to hear from SWSEEL and UPitt SLI re:funding...here's hoping we all make out well on that!!

Edited by clurtheblur12

Congrats clur!! That's great news! :D

Do you mind if I ask? Are you coming straight out of undergrad, or have you been working/living abroad/something else these past few years?? I always wonder how much life experience plays into FLAS awards. Coming straight out of undergrad, I wasn't sure what to expect... And yeah, this whole FLAS process IS weird haha.

Congrats clur! Sounds like you've got a delectable decision to make. B)

Regarding summer programs, I applied to Pitt's SLI but for the FLAS to it I applied through KU's program. I'm an alternate there for FLAS for both the year and the summer and probably won't be attending even if I was accepted simply because I have an offer I like better. So my SLI status just changed to accepted but now I won't have the corresponding funding to go with it. Anyone have any thoughts on how I can remedy this or am I just out of luck at Pitt's program now?

Enzian, are you studying BCS? Or I am I mistaking you for someone else on this forum?

Because I think they offer tuition waivers (ACLS) for first year BCS. Maybe that's still available? Do you think UNC would give you anything for the summer if you enrolled? I would try asking for what it's worth. Who knows, maybe they'll have some extra funding lying around somewhere come summertime (perhaps wistful thinking, but not impossible).

I may be mistaken, but I think both SWSEEL and SLI have money for BCS, have you e-mailed the program coordinator people? The one at SWSEEL has been very, very nice over e-mail and the one at Pitt is just awesome, so I would definitely reach out to them and ask!!

I also meant to add that I did ask my one recommender for the regular application to submit a modified letter of her recommendation geared specifically toward FLAS, my language recommender wrote a letter just for FLAS, and I also asked another professor (who has not written my graduate application recommendations) to write a letter for FLAS, so all of my recommendations were tailored for my FLAS applications. Not sure if this extra tailoring helped extra or not. I do go to a small-ish school (currently a senior), and I get a lot of attention from professors/have been building relationships with many professors, including my department heads, since I was a freshman/sophomore.

Edited by clurtheblur12

Thanks to both of you! Basically, I should have just read the SLI website like a competent human being because it lists several non-FLAS scholarships that, if you apply for the summer program, you're automatically considered for. Anyway, I'm emailing the coordinator now.

And, yeah, I'm beginning BCS. B)

I'm an aspiring historian, so I also applied to many history programs. I received a couple of fully funded offers, and I have accepted one.

Those of you who were waitlisted at UNC-CH, Indiana, or Kansas now have -1 student in front of you! I hope that helps someone on this board. I wish everyone luck!!!!

Hey, everyone. I need some advice from people who probably know more about this than I do.

My main interest is Ukraine, so when I sent out applications, I looked specifically for universities that offered concentrations in Ukrainian studies. I have been accepted into a handful of places, but the two offers I currently need to choose between are full funding from IU or full funding from KU. IU has offered me the FLAS for the academic year and nothing for the summer (so far). KU has offered me the FMSO research assistantship, which amounts to full funding and a stipend for the year plus tuition and 5k for their summer program in L'viv. The assistantship would require 20 hours of Ukrainian-language research a week--work, but work that I'd benefit from. So, the offers are practically identical.

I've asked some of my undergrad professors and they all said to go to IU, but they didn't really give reasons beyond its "superior reputation." I'm torn because I can't decide how much I should let that influence my decision. Reputations are meaningless except to the degree that they attract stronger students, better professors, and more funding. I don't particularly care which institution's seal is on my diploma, but if it means a richer experience, I think it's certainly something to consider. It's hard for me to get a feel for all of this without (unfortunately) being able to visit the schools.

Things to think about: IU has told me they might be cutting their Ukrainian language program. As far as language goes, this isn't a really big deal because I'm at the level where I'd be studying individually with a professor/native speaker and I was considering switching to Polish anyway. My concern, however, is that this is indicative of a larger institutional change. It's quite possible that I won't find enough Ukraine-specific courses/instruction/support. The director of the program recently told me he thought I'd be a good candidate for their joint public health program given my professed interest in food study. If that would be funded, it's another element to consider. KU has two Ukrainian professors who aren't going anywhere. I've spoken to both of them and I think I'd do well with them. One teaches language and the other teaches courses for the program. I know that there's enough attention being paid to Ukraine at KU, but my concern is that the program is too small and perhaps not challenging enough.

I've been given a March 30 deadline. Допоможіть будь ласка!

Things to think about: IU has told me they might be cutting their Ukrainian language program. As far as language goes, this isn't a really big deal because I'm at the level where I'd be studying individually with a professor/native speaker and I was considering switching to Polish anyway. My concern, however, is that this is indicative of a larger institutional change. It's quite possible that I won't find enough Ukraine-specific courses/instruction/support.!

Even if you already speak Ukrainian at an advanced level and don't need the courses, I think it would suit you well to go to the school that has made a strong commitment to Ukrainian studies and will continue to do so even after you graduate... and that includes offering Ukrainian language courses. Actually, I sounds like KU has made you a much better offer. Summer in L'viv?!? I say go for it!!! Reading your message, it sounds like your heart and mind are set on KU, but your advisors are telling you to do IU. Your advisors are people whom you've undoubtedly grown to trust and admire, so I can completely understand why their advice has you second-guessing yourself. However, it seems like you've seriously considered both programs. Both are great schools! But it's up to *you* (and not your professors) to decide which is a better fit for YOU. I hope this helps, good luck!

Edited by molodoychelovek

Sounds like a very difficult decision, ali, and I think melodoychelovek brings up some great points! If you are thinking about a joint degree in public health, maybe you can see if Kansas offers anything like that - maybe the CREES program would be willing to help you work in some classes to get the degree done sooner. Additionally, you probably wouldn't need to take as many language classes so therre would be more space in your two years to get in classes toward that degree.

Hi Ali, good to see another Ukrainophile.

I think you outlined the institutional differences pretty well. Indiana built up a massive reserve of Slavicists during the Cold War, and they're slowly fading away as the school tries to shift resources. The school is large enough to have regional pull in the midwest, and possibly abroad because of its history (depending who you talk to). But while I can't speak to KU's program, I will say that I've come across the school a LOT since I went down the Ukraine track. Their summer program in Lviv is very well known, and I've met several people associated with the school in the past year while just doing my thing (both students and a professor).

So some of the questions you might think about: does Indiana have much greater resources in your substantive area of interest (e.g. public health)? And what would your options be for an advanced degree in that? The major weakness of regional studies MA's is that they can be hard to present as a terminal degree, depending on your area of interest-- they're really most useful combined with a professional degree, like in public health. You could always do that later on, of course.

On the flip side, while Ukraine-specific courses are a very nice luxury, you still have the ability to do Ukraine-specific research in a more general course sequence. (My REES program is actually based on this more general approach, and it's working fairly well.) So there are ways to get around that if you choose Indiana.

Also, do you think you might actually "switch" to Polish? Does KU have the resources for that?

Finally, don't worry "too" much about summer stuff. It's very good that KU is covering you off the bat, but Indiana probably has summer FLAS opportunities as well... although you might be lower on the preference list for Ukrainian study if you're already fluent.

So as an exercise, I'd recommend running through the department websites for anything you plan to take a course in, just to get a feel of what opportunities you'd have. Also, have you had the chance to speak to students from both programs? I'm sure the university can put you in touch, and I also met a KU alum in Ukraine recently, so shoot me a PM if that sounds helpful. And just in case I come off too strongly on the side of Indiana, I'm not so much pushing it as I am asking if you've checked all these things out. Both sound like wonderful options-- don't be afraid to go where you'd be happier.

I'm an aspiring historian, so I also applied to many history programs. I received a couple of fully funded offers, and I have accepted one.

Those of you who were waitlisted at UNC-CH, Indiana, or Kansas now have -1 student in front of you! I hope that helps someone on this board. I wish everyone luck!!!!

Congrats NiceGuy! I'm glad to hear it worked out for you.

As a recent grad of the KU CREES program with a focus on Ukraine, I thought I'd chime in.

A bit of background: I graduated in 2010. I was offered a spot at IU (no funding) and KU (with FLAS, initally as an alternate). I visited both universities. IU was great, but didn't seem committed to trying to help me secure funding first year or second. KU was actively looking for alternate sources. I ended up with FLAS both years during the program.

I know very little about IU's program beyond the fact that it is good.

The Ukrainian professors at KU are great. The program is small, but well-supported within the department and the school at large. There are several professors outside of CREES (one in Poli Sci, for instance) that are very much active in Ukrainian studies. They even brought Yushenko to the university to speak. Each year, there is also a funded speaker brought that focuses on ukraine. My favorite was Natalie Konenko, who does folk culture studies. Essentially, what I'm trying to say is: Don't discount KU because it doesn't have as good of a reputation as IU. It's a fantastic school.

I've known several people who have come into the program with advanced Ukrainian. They usually have one-on-one readings classes with the language professor. I was a beginning student and had a very small class, which was helpful. There is also a decent amount of Ukrainian-speaking students who meet up weekly.

Personally, I would have loved to get the funding you've been offered. It allows you to work on your research and it provides more of a solid line on your resume if you're looking for non-academic work after the program. I don't know the pay in comparison to the FLAS. It is more than possible to live comfortably in Lawrence on FLAS funding.

I loved my time at KU. Since I'm still in the area, I'm still active with the department. There are monthly movie showings, at least one big event per semester, conferences, study-abroad opportunities, and a great group of students. There is a lot of interdepartmental cooperation among students and staff, too. They do a lot of joint events with the other area studies centers on campus. Also, Lawrence is rad.

So yeah, my two cents, hurriedly typed at work.

A last note: I loved the Lviv program. Even if you choose IU, you can still come through the KU program. There are students from other universities all of the time.

Hope you enjoy wherever you choose!