Tucson, AZ

Guest Guest

6 hours ago, meganwh said:

It is, if you're willing to put in the energy. You'll be sweaty wherever you go, but that's a typical experience for anyone existing in Tucson anyway. Most roads are pretty bike-friendly even further away from campus, and most drivers are decently courteous to cyclists as well. The city isn't too huge to where it would be impossible to get to know it just utilizing a bike, but also the public transportation system is pretty helpful in traversing those longer distances if you don't feel like biking. 

This! 100% it's a very biker friendly city, if you live near any pubic transportation (buses or the street car) they are very assessable with making sure you can bring your bike along without any hassle. 

UofA campus has tons of bike paths, which are reserved for bikes only (if pedestrians are walking on the paths, they can be expected to be hit by a biker ?)! (Many building cannot be accessed without biking or walking to them), so that's very convenient for that reason as well. 

The only weird thing about Tucson is that their left turn traffic lights goes last (but are green/open to turn if no cars are going), which is different than most/all left turn lights throughout the US. But almost all drivers are used to having bicyclists on the road! 

• 3 weeks later...

And so I've narrowed down my two most favorite schools for an MA/MFA program. One is Tucson and U of A. However, I looked at some school reviews(not specifically written by grads).They say some icky stuff about profs not caring if you do good work, etc...apathetic type of place/town/attitudes. 

*Does anyone else have info. on the area? Or do their undergrad there?

It is likely that I will start a PhD program at U of A this Fall. I am an older student and would love to buy a small and, relatively, inexpensive place for me and my extremely lazy lab. Safety and dog friendly are extremely important to me. Although, she doesn't require a lot of outdoor space at home since she is very content with a daily walk. Any living suggestions? Is the area very dog friendly?

On 2/20/2017 at 4:16 PM, ArtOne said:

And so I've narrowed down my two most favorite schools for an MA/MFA program. One is Tucson and U of A. However, I looked at some school reviews(not specifically written by grads).They say some icky stuff about profs not caring if you do good work, etc...apathetic type of place/town/attitudes. 

*Does anyone else have info. on the area? Or do their undergrad there?

I'm doing my undergrad there now, so if you have any specific questions please let me know! I personally love Tucson and UofA. I have never had a professor that I felt was apathetic or did not want me to succeed, only TAs and a professor at one of the community colleges in town, but never one of my professors. Tucson is kind of laid back, "lazy" city, but in a good way. It doesn't have that huge hustle and bustle of Phoenix, but is still big enough for there to be plenty to do.  

On 2/21/2017 at 8:03 AM, AuntieGrandma said:

It is likely that I will start a PhD program at U of A this Fall. I am an older student and would love to buy a small and, relatively, inexpensive place for me and my extremely lazy lab. Safety and dog friendly are extremely important to me. Although, she doesn't require a lot of outdoor space at home since she is very content with a daily walk. Any living suggestions? Is the area very dog friendly?

There are tons of wonderful houses around the campus area that you could purchase for decently cheap. If you are looking for something a little nicer, the Sam Hughes area and east side of town would be ideal. If you're willing to drive (15-20 minutes), out west past the highway (I-10) you can get a gorgeous home with a gorgeous view for cheap. North is also considered a nicer area. I would avoid going too south (not past like 22nd?) as that is where it gets a little more "sketch", but overall the crime in Tucson isn't bad and I have never felt unsafe in the 4 years that I have lived here. 

Tucson is plenty dog friendly, especially with a lab, you won't have any trouble. Definitely look up some information about dogs and heat, as sometimes in the summer months it is recommended to either have your dogs wear booties or only walk them late at night when the pavement has cooled or otherwise the pads of their feet can gets burnt since the concrete is so hot. Many places will have a small yard, normally just dirt. If you plan on leaving her outside when you aren't home just make sure that she has a shaded area to stay cool in and plenty of water, though it would be advised to keep her inside throughout the day just for peace of mind. 

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

2 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

I'm doing my undergrad there now, so if you have any specific questions please let me know! I personally love Tucson and UofA. I have never had a professor that I felt was apathetic or did not want me to succeed, only TAs and a professor at one of the community colleges in town, but never one of my professors. Tucson is kind of laid back, "lazy" city, but in a good way. It doesn't have that huge hustle and bustle of Phoenix, but is still big enough for there to be plenty to do.  

There are tons of wonderful houses around the campus area that you could purchase for decently cheap. If you are looking for something a little nicer, the Sam Hughes area and east side of town would be ideal. If you're willing to drive (15-20 minutes), out west past the highway (I-10) you can get a gorgeous home with a gorgeous view for cheap. North is also considered a nicer area. I would avoid going too south (not past like 22nd?) as that is where it gets a little more "sketch", but overall the crime in Tucson isn't bad and I have never felt unsafe in the 4 years that I have lived here. 

Tucson is plenty dog friendly, especially with a lab, you won't have any trouble. Definitely look up some information about dogs and heat, as sometimes in the summer months it is recommended to either have your dogs wear booties or only walk them late at night when the pavement has cooled or otherwise the pads of their feet can gets burnt since the concrete is so hot. Many places will have a small yard, normally just dirt. If you plan on leaving her outside when you aren't home just make sure that she has a shaded area to stay cool in and plenty of water, though it would be advised to keep her inside throughout the day just for peace of mind. 

If you have any specific questions feel free to ask!

Thank you so much. Even though my dog is young she is LAZY and a complete indoor dog. We have a huge yard now but she can care less. As long as she has her bathroom "spot", she is happy. As far as walking in the heat, I don't want to do it either so we will for sure do mornings or evenings. She is incredibly good so I don't expect too many issues unless any specific areas are dog "unfriendly." I have occasionally seen restrictions on dog sizes which is a bit silly since she is a way better neighbor dog than my 4 lb Pomeranian ever was! I am hoping to find something nicer, not too big, easy to maintain, and with a small fenced patio/yard. Even a condo/townhouse would be fine. 

39 minutes ago, AuntieGrandma said:

Thank you so much. Even though my dog is young she is LAZY and a complete indoor dog. We have a huge yard now but she can care less. As long as she has her bathroom "spot", she is happy. As far as walking in the heat, I don't want to do it either so we will for sure do mornings or evenings. She is incredibly good so I don't expect too many issues unless any specific areas are dog "unfriendly." I have occasionally seen restrictions on dog sizes which is a bit silly since she is a way better neighbor dog than my 4 lb Pomeranian ever was! I am hoping to find something nicer, not too big, easy to maintain, and with a small fenced patio/yard. Even a condo/townhouse would be fine. 

I don't personally have a dog, but my boyfriend does and we've never run into problems with there being any unfriendliness towards dogs. A lot of restaurants around even have dog friendly patios! But if she doesn't need the space the  you'll easily find somewhere that has a side yard that gives her plenty of space to do her business, but still give her some room if she desired.

Though it is true some places will have breed restrictions (sometimes weight, but normally just breed, which your lab wouldn't fall into a category that's normally restricted); however, if you are planning to buy then it doesn't matter. There are definitely some cute new condos/townhouses going up around town and there are some nice older remodeled homes too for cheap (thanks to the low cost of living). Whatever your budget you can find something that would work for you, I've only ever rented though, so that's about as much advice as I can give though. 

• 3 weeks later...

So, I'm hoping to get into the UofA, in either of a couple different programs, and am planning on moving to Tucson maybe regardless, to try and establish myself there.  I've done some research, but was curious as to how LGBT friendly the community at large is?  I'm sure the campus/university are (because even my small-ish town Kansas school was fairly LGBT friendly, so have a hard time believing a larger school in a larger community wouldn't be), but am curious about Tucson itself?  

Are there any bars/restaurants/housing companies that AREN'T LGBT friendly? I'm planning on moving with my girlfriend and really don't want to find out the hard way where we wouldn't be welcome. 

On 3/17/2017 at 1:45 PM, elleyad said:

So, I'm hoping to get into the UofA, in either of a couple different programs, and am planning on moving to Tucson maybe regardless, to try and establish myself there.  I've done some research, but was curious as to how LGBT friendly the community at large is?  I'm sure the campus/university are (because even my small-ish town Kansas school was fairly LGBT friendly, so have a hard time believing a larger school in a larger community wouldn't be), but am curious about Tucson itself?  

Are there any bars/restaurants/housing companies that AREN'T LGBT friendly? I'm planning on moving with my girlfriend and really don't want to find out the hard way where we wouldn't be welcome. 

I feel that Tucson is very LGBT friendly; however, I do not personally have experience. I haven't heard of any places that friends have been scared to go to. You are right that the campus has a great community though! There's a department of LBGT affairs and I feel that they would be able to help you out! Here's a link to their site: http://lgbtq.arizona.edu/ 

• 4 weeks later...

I'll also be moving to Tucson in July to attend a PhD program at the U of A, and have been browsing for apartments. I'm not going to buy a car, so I'd like to go to campus on foot or by bicycle (preferably within 20 minutes). Is there anyone who would recommend me some apartment complex? Info on their pros/cons would also be greatly appreciated :)

I am considering Capistrano, Country Club, Sandston, Fort Lowell, and El Dorado apartments for now, so I would grateful for any additional info on them, too.

On 4/16/2017 at 6:48 PM, limonchello said:

Will be moving to Tucson in July, how is the Old Fort Lowell / Vista Del Monte area? I have an apartment picked that I love in that area, but I haven't been able to visit yet. Let's see if anyone is still around in this forum :)

Not a bad area! It will definitely be more families and not so much students. If you have specific questions let me know. 

On 4/17/2017 at 7:32 PM, CoffeeNebula said:

I'll also be moving to Tucson in July to attend a PhD program at the U of A, and have been browsing for apartments. I'm not going to buy a car, so I'd like to go to campus on foot or by bicycle (preferably within 20 minutes). Is there anyone who would recommend me some apartment complex? Info on their pros/cons would also be greatly appreciated :)

I am considering Capistrano, Country Club, Sandston, Fort Lowell, and El Dorado apartments for now, so I would grateful for any additional info on them, too.

So far I think the apartments you are considering are pretty good. I don't really have any recommendations beyond that. When I was looking for apartment I considered both Sandstone and El Dorado, though I didn't visit them. (And from the photos Fort Lowell looks very nice!) If I recall correctly, Sandstone has a shuttle to campus which is convenient since you won't have a car, but I'm not 100% sure. 

33 minutes ago, AspiringGC said:

Not a bad area! It will definitely be more families and not so much students. If you have specific questions let me know. 

So far I think the apartments you are considering are pretty good. I don't really have any recommendations beyond that. When I was looking for apartment I considered both Sandstone and El Dorado, though I didn't visit them. (And from the photos Fort Lowell looks very nice!) If I recall correctly, Sandstone has a shuttle to campus which is convenient since you won't have a car, but I'm not 100% sure. 

Thanks so much, honestly. I've narrowed down my search to these final 5 that I'll fly down, visit and reserve one in June:

Sandstone 

Winterhaven

Casa Presidio

Wasko

Summerlin

ill be moving with my spouse so I might decide to avoid sandstone as i imagine it's overrun with students.

1 hour ago, limonchello said:

Thanks so much, honestly. I've narrowed down my search to these final 5 that I'll fly down, visit and reserve one in June:

Sandstone 

Winterhaven

Casa Presidio

Wasko

Summerlin

ill be moving with my spouse so I might decide to avoid sandstone as i imagine it's overrun with students.

I did tour Wasko and I loved it! Everything is brand new, still decently close to campus and I thought it was a decent price for everything. I would've signed for a lease there for a one bedroom, but they wanted to fill asap and I ended up finding a gorgeous 2 bedroom duplex that was cheaper and a little closer to where I wanted to be. 
Sandstone seems to be more serious/older students from what I can tell (I had a friend who lived there and when I visited it was never loud or anything). 

I'd say you have a great list though and of course just reading reviews online and then actually touring I'm sure you'll find something that works for you and your spouse. And welcome to Tucson/the University of Arizona! Moving to Tucson fro undergrad was the best decision I ever made and I hope you end up loving it just as much as I do :)

On 2017. 4. 23. at 5:32 AM, AspiringGC said:

So far I think the apartments you are considering are pretty good. I don't really have any recommendations beyond that. When I was looking for apartment I considered both Sandstone and El Dorado, though I didn't visit them. (And from the photos Fort Lowell looks very nice!) If I recall correctly, Sandstone has a shuttle to campus which is convenient since you won't have a car, but I'm not 100% sure. 

@AspiringGC  Thank you so much for the answer!  Yes, I heard that Sandstone offers Shuttle to campus. I am considering Sandpiper for now but didn't decide yet. 

What worries me most is that I cannot visit Tucson before July b/c of visa stuff.  Do you think searching for an apartment at July is plausible? I'd like to get one early for a relief, but I'm concerned about making rent contract without actually visiting one.

1 hour ago, CoffeeNebula said:

@AspiringGC  Thank you so much for the answer!  Yes, I heard that Sandstone offers Shuttle to campus. I am considering Sandpiper for now but didn't decide yet. 

What worries me most is that I cannot visit Tucson before July b/c of visa stuff.  Do you think searching for an apartment at July is plausible? I'd like to get one early for a relief, but I'm concerned about making rent contract without actually visiting one.

I think you'll still have time to find something in July, especially since you aren't considering student only housing. I know many people have their places up for sublease and are very willing to negotiate the rent. So you could find a furnished place to stay for a month or two (July through August?) and then you would be able to go tour and physically see places before you sign a lease so you don't rush into anything! 

Sandpiper looks like a good option though! It's very close to where my boyfriend lives currently and I like the area. Would be very easy to get to campus too! 

2 hours ago, AspiringGC said:

I think you'll still have time to find something in July, especially since you aren't considering student only housing. I know many people have their places up for sublease and are very willing to negotiate the rent. So you could find a furnished place to stay for a month or two (July through August?) and then you would be able to go tour and physically see places before you sign a lease so you don't rush into anything! 

Sandpiper looks like a good option though! It's very close to where my boyfriend lives currently and I like the area. Would be very easy to get to campus too! 

Nice to hear that I don't have to rush! and thanks a lot for your comments on Sandpiper. It is a great help! :)

On 4/25/2017 at 3:16 AM, CoffeeNebula said:

I was just checking this thread because I was an undergrad in Tucson. I would keep in mind the shuttles from apartment complexes can be cramped and hot and often end decently early

On 2017. 4. 29. at 1:32 AM, maurmaur said:

I was just checking this thread because I was an undergrad in Tucson. I would keep in mind the shuttles from apartment complexes can be cramped and hot and often end decently early

Thanks for the info!  then I probably should bike or walk instead...

On 4/30/2017 at 5:00 AM, CoffeeNebula said:

I would just say that it's not something I would rely on for my only form of transportation I guess.

On 4/30/2017 at 5:00 AM, CoffeeNebula said:

How far from campus is it?

On 2017. 5. 1. at 9:24 PM, maurmaur said:

How far from campus is it?

Google says 20 minuates by bike/bus. actually I am leaning toward to another one.

Edited by CoffeeNebula

On 5/7/2017 at 7:27 AM, CoffeeNebula said:

Google says 20 minuates by bike/bus. actually I am leaning toward to another one.

Which one?

On 5/9/2017 at 11:47 AM, CoffeeNebula said:

Sandpiper. Manager in there seems quite prompt and helpful. Have you ever visited there?

Nope, but I think I've passed by them several times! Bike would probably be a good way to get to campus from there. People steal bikes off of campus and around a lot, so make sure to get heavy duty locks if that's what you decide to do!