UNC gossip

bottles

I applied, but I haven't been checking up on them because I threw my application together at the last minute so I'm not very optimistic about my chances... I also think my GRE scores are a little on the low end for UNC. Is UNC your top choice?

Hey! My GRE scores are on the low end, too, but I figured I may as well try it.

I don't really have a *top* choice...I never had much of an inkling of what was going to happen when I applied places, so I just kind of kept it in the back of my mind...but I would LOVE to go! I was in Raleigh over Christmas break and made the mistake of going to the department and generally milling about the campus--that was probably when I was sold.

Someone posted an acceptance yesterday--said they were admitted via email on the 7th to the masters program, but it seems weird that no one else said anything else about hearing back. No word on the webpage, a depressingly empty mailbox..

Meh. I guess we wait. Good luck :) Have you applied anywhere else?

I was accepted to the UCLA MLIS program last week, and finally having an acceptance has taken a load off of my mind! I'm currently finishing up my undergrad studies at UCLA though, so I'd prefer to go somewhere out of state just to have a new experience. Financially that might not be realistic, but that wouldn't be the end of the world- I do love being a Bruin. :) I also applied to Washington and I'm putting together my application for the NYU and Long Island University dual degree program in Archives/Public History and Library Science. I've also visited the UNC campus and I fell in love with it too, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll work out for us! What about you, where else have you applied?

I was accepted to the UCLA MLIS program last week, and finally having an acceptance has taken a load off of my mind! I'm currently finishing up my undergrad studies at UCLA though, so I'd prefer to go somewhere out of state just to have a new experience. Financially that might not be realistic, but that wouldn't be the end of the world- I do love being a Bruin. :) I also applied to Washington and I'm putting together my application for the NYU and Long Island University dual degree program in Archives/Public History and Library Science. I've also visited the UNC campus and I fell in love with it too, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it'll work out for us! What about you, where else have you applied?

I know what you mean about the acceptance. I got accepted to Pitt very early on and it definitely provided peace of mind. I am also sort-of in the same position you are in--I'm in-state. Pitt is about an hour south of where I live now--and while it's wonderful program and a wonderful area, after all these years in Western PA, I really, really would like to get out!

I applied to Washington, also, but I feel like that might be unrealistic for me due to funding (and moving across the country.) I looked at a lot of the dual programs (specifically looking for one in english/library science) but didn't find a program that suited me or didn't require GRE subject exam scores. Archives/Public History must be a cool track--and I must say, I'm kind of jealous.

I applied to the wildcard South Carolina, too. They have the most recently accredited program, I think, provide pretty generous funding, low tuition rates, and they have a lot of younger, diverse professors in the department. All-in-all it seems like it might be a really great place to get a MLIS, but I don't know.

I cannot *wait* to hear back!

Edited by bottles

Hi,

I'm the one who posted the acceptance on the Results Search the other day. I got an email Monday Feb. 7th from Steven Matson, Dean of the Graduate School, saying I was admitted for Fall 2011for the MLS. No word on any funding or much else. I'm somewhat surprised, considering my GRE scores were really low. I'm excited to have been accepted somewhere, though UNC's not exactly my first choice. I just applied there on someone else's suggestion. I also applied to Catholic and Maryland, and I'd much rather go to either of those programs because I love the DC area and they've got more specific programs of interest. But I just turned those apps in a few weeks ago, so we'll see what happens!

Hi,

I'm the one who posted the acceptance on the Results Search the other day. I got an email Monday Feb. 7th from Steven Matson, Dean of the Graduate School, saying I was admitted for Fall 2011for the MLS. No word on any funding or much else. I'm somewhat surprised, considering my GRE scores were really low. I'm excited to have been accepted somewhere, though UNC's not exactly my first choice. I just applied there on someone else's suggestion. I also applied to Catholic and Maryland, and I'd much rather go to either of those programs because I love the DC area and they've got more specific programs of interest. But I just turned those apps in a few weeks ago, so we'll see what happens!

Hey--Congrats on the acceptance! The waiting is the WORST part...! It seems that in past years, a lot of people post about UNC in the results section of this page, and it's so weird to me that you heard on the 7th and no one else has posted anything. Scary. I just wish I knew.

Let us know how your other programs turn out :)

Hi bbbender,

Congratulations!

Even UNC Ch is not your first choice, it's nice to know you've been accepted somewhere)))

UNC's SILS reputation is very high and it actually scares people with low GRE results to apply there. Could you please share with us how low you GRE was?

Best wishes!

Hi,

This was in my inbox today:

The School of Library & Information Studies Admissions Committee is still in the process of reviewing completed applications for the class of Fall 2011. We hope to have notices of the committee's decisions out to applicants by March 21, 2011. Notices will be sent via email, to ensure that you receive notification about the status of your application as quickly as possible. Due to the extremely high volume of inquiries regarding the status of applications and decisions, and the need to focus on completion of application review, individual emails concerning application status will not be replied to at this time. We thank you for your patience and understanding.

The School of Library & Information Studies Admissions Committee is still in the process of reviewing completed applications for the class of Fall 2011. We hope to have notices of the committee's decisions out to applicants by March 21, 2011. Notices will be sent via email, to ensure that you receive notification about the status of your application as quickly as possible. Due to the extremely high volume of inquiries regarding the status of applications and decisions, and the need to focus on completion of application review, individual emails concerning application status will not be replied to at this time. We thank you for your patience and understanding.

Thanks for the update, Infalliblekitty! Didn't get one myself, but at least there's a date.

Are you sure this was from UNC? It's called the School of Information and Library Science (SILS) at UNC. I doubt they would mess up their own name in an e-mail.

Are you sure this was from UNC? It's called the School of Information and Library Science (SILS) at UNC. I doubt they would mess up their own name in an e-mail.

Just kidding.. I think I'm just hoping really hard for UNC to reply back, and therefore was hoping it was from UNC. This one is from Wisconsin, which is SLIS (since I applied to both schools, naturally I screwed the two up all the time).

I did speak with someone from UNC back in January though. They were going to decide on candidates for Masters at the end of January but funding for fellowships would be decided later, as library spaces opened.

Sorry for jumping the gun!

It sounds like they will be making their decisions through the end of this month. I spoke with them this morning. They have made a handful of decisions but are not even close to being finished. The school is sending out emails as decisions are made. The application deadline wasn't until mid-February so don't freak out yet:)

Thanks for posting your GRE scores. I have been freaking out about why I even tried to apply to UNC-Ch because my GRE scores are so bad. On the SLIS site it says the average accepted GRE score is around a 660 for both verbal and quantitative so I had given up actually getting in but I'm just waiting around to hear back.

Where else has everyone applied? I've only heard back from one program and it was the public history one at NCSU because they had a dual-enrollment to there and Chapel Hill. I've been waiting to hear back from University of South Carolina and University of Denver as well. Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to hear back from University of Denver after the interviews?

Thanks! My abysmal scores were: 440 Verbal, 620 Quantitative, and 4.0 writing. Hopefully my 3.9 GPA made up for it!

Has anyone else heard from UNC? I'm still waiting and feel so nervous!

Nope. No news here...They were on break last week so I figure I'll wait until Friday to nose around--I've heard back from 4/6 schools I applied to and I'm getting nervous about making decisions! Surely everyone should hear back soon, though, right? Maybe? :)

I haven't heard anything yet either... but yeah, assuming that they want us to make our decision by May 1, I'd say we should find out by the end of the week (fingers crossed anyway!)

I called UNC Friday and was told that I should hear at the end of the month--Hilariously, 2 weeks after the end of the month I will have to decide where I am going and I'm sure I am not the only one in this boat. I hope UNC sends out financial aid information out at the same time...