UNC gossip

bottles

I saw one person recieved notification today. Anyone else?

I got an email yesterday - I'm in! :D

I had all but one recommendation in by the end of November (I turned this app in early). It definitely took a while to hear back. But then, I have not heard anything from the other 3 schools I applied to.

Hopefully that bodes well, and that you all will hear back soon, too. :) Good luck!

I got an email yesterday - I'm in! :D

I had all but one recommendation in by the end of November (I turned this app in early). It definitely took a while to hear back. But then, I have not heard anything from the other 3 schools I applied to.

Hopefully that bodes well, and that you all will hear back soon, too. :) Good luck!

Congrats! That is great new:) Do you mind if I ask your stats? My GRE scores were a little lower than the average.

Thanks!

Congrats! That is great new:) Do you mind if I ask your stats? My GRE scores were a little lower than the average.

Thanks!

My stats were mostly pretty good. I don't remember my GRE scores exactly, but it was 6xx verbal and 7xx math. I DO remember that I only got a 4.0 on writing (which is the one area I should have scored higher).

Got a letter yesterday from USC, and I'm accepted there, too. I like UNC better, but I'll probably have to choose based on financial aid. :(

My stats were mostly pretty good. I don't remember my GRE scores exactly, but it was 6xx verbal and 7xx math. I DO remember that I only got a 4.0 on writing (which is the one area I should have scored higher).

Got a letter yesterday from USC, and I'm accepted there, too. I like UNC better, but I'll probably have to choose based on financial aid. :(

Thanks! That is great that you got into USC as well. I have been accepted to Syracuse, DU, and University of Washington but UNC is my top choice. I still haven't heard from them and am begining to get really nervous! I'm in the same boat you are though, financial aid is important! I wish you the best of luck!!

Called UNC today. The story is that they are going through a massive pile of people to email this week. The adcomm met this afternoon and they hope to have everyone mostly informed by the end of the week or so. So, not to worry if you haven't heard. :)

Thanks! I'm pretty excited, but just also just plain scared about the financial aid part. Hopefully it will work out.

And hopefully you all will hear back (good news!) soon! It is really hard to try to make plans when you aren't sure what you're doing next fall!

I just got the email today. I've been "recommended for admission," so they just need the Graduate School to approve my acceptance.

(Has anyone ever had an instance where the Graduate School turned down the department's recommendation?)

All quiet on the financial-aid front.

I just got the email today. I've been "recommended for admission," so they just need the Graduate School to approve my acceptance.

(Has anyone ever had an instance where the Graduate School turned down the department's recommendation?)

Congrats! That's great!

And my email said the same thing. I assume that if you have been recommended, you will be accepted. It seems unlikely that the program would accept you without meeting the general requirements for grad school.

I emailed this afternoon and asked when to expect to hear about financial aid. The response I received: "Soon, within the next few weeks, I hope!"

That's not that soon, in my book. But I guess I'll have to live with it. It at least puts me a little at ease, so that I'm not attacking the mailbox every time I pass it. For a week or so, anyway. ;)

SOOO much waiting on this grad school stuff...

Edited by RachZ

I got another email today that said I was accepted to the graduate school. So, presumably, you can expect one in the next few days. :)

And I hope they send it ASAP, too.

I got another email today that said I was accepted to the graduate school. So, presumably, you can expect one in the next few days. :)

And I hope they send it ASAP, too.

Still haven't heard! This makes me so nervous. I keep telling myself it's because my last name starts with W but who knows.

I have a MAJOR issue, though, with all of these schools I'm dealing with--Pitt won't tell you if you're getting finaid through their Partners program til late April--yet want your response to admission by April 15 (I've been told I can probably get an extension)--so how on earth can I make a decision about any of these schools with all of these different dates? I can't say I am going anywhere until I know if I will be funded, but I don't want to jeopardize my chance to go to Pitt by waiting to hear back from other schools...so frustrating! Is anyone else having this problem?

Ok, so I had heard back about my acceptance in the beginning of February, and heard about financial aid (or lack thereof) in early March. Weird. Also, where did you hear about May 1st as the deadline? Was that specific to UNC? I had emailed asking about that and was told April 15th, but it's not a hard, fast deadline, so hopefully that will help some of you with deadline crises!

Still haven't heard! This makes me so nervous. I keep telling myself it's because my last name starts with W but who knows.

I have a MAJOR issue, though, with all of these schools I'm dealing with--Pitt won't tell you if you're getting finaid through their Partners program til late April--yet want your response to admission by April 15 (I've been told I can probably get an extension)--so how on earth can I make a decision about any of these schools with all of these different dates? I can't say I am going anywhere until I know if I will be funded, but I don't want to jeopardize my chance to go to Pitt by waiting to hear back from other schools...so frustrating! Is anyone else having this problem?

I understand financial frustrations completely. I won't be going to grad school without aid. It simply isn't a possibility. :( So as long as I don't know about it - and I have absolutely no financial aid info from anyone yet; still haven't even heard back from UTenn and U of North Texas - I have no idea what I'll be doing come fall.

Also, I know this thread is about UNC, but I noticed where you said you were accepted at South Carolina... me too! Did they give you the same line they gave me in their acceptance letter that says matriculation assumes enrollment (or something along those lines)? Also, for South Carolina, I didn't see their completely separate forms for financial aid until the other day (and the due date was in January!). Hah. Probably not actually going there.

I'm having the same issue!! They told me I won't even hear back until later in the summer. The stuff for Stafford loans isn't due until June 1st, so of course I won't know until after that. How am I supposed to make an informed decision??

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted! I got my formal acceptance via e-mail yesterday. No word on finaid though, so even though UNC was my first choice, I may have to let it go depending on whether I receive a pretty generous finaid opportunity that I'm in the running for from another school.

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted! I got my formal acceptance via e-mail yesterday. No word on finaid though, so even though UNC was my first choice, I may have to let it go depending on whether I receive a pretty generous finaid opportunity that I'm in the running for from another school.

Congrats to you!

No word for me, I figure it's another implicit rejection--which is OK because I've gotten pretty settled on Pittsburgh since UNC has taken so long to get back anyway. This finaid stuff is such a pain, though, and I hope everyone sorts their stuff out all right!

Still waiting as well... should I be assuming I got rejected at this point? I would call and ask, but I emailed recently to ask when I should be hearing back (and got a noncommittal "soon") and I don't want to seem like one of those pain in the neck applicants...

Edited by freeze

• 3 weeks later...

I called yesterday and they said they still had no word on my application but to call later in the week, finaid will hopefully be more sorted by then, too. Their semester seems to end next week so surely it will be before then. :)

I called yesterday and they said they still had no word on my application but to call later in the week, finaid will hopefully be more sorted by then, too. Their semester seems to end next week so surely it will be before then. :)

Thanks for sharing! I have been meaning to call to ask about finaid, but have been too busy to actually ask again (plus, I just don't like bothering people!). I really hope they get back to everyone soon. Don't know about you all, but I would REALLY like to know what I'm doing this fall. ;)

I haven't heard back from UNC either. I called on 4/10 and talked to a woman in graduate admissions who was extremely kind and told me I should not hear back later than next week (4/10 was a Friday). I called again this Monday and asked yet again about my application status and she said they've been having "technical problems," on which she didn't elaborate. I told her that registration starts May 1st for IU (the school I will most likely attend, but UNC is in-state for me and that's $12,000 less in tuition each year, so that's a big factor in my decision) and that it's disappointing that UNC hasn't given adequate time to weigh options. She said she would contact the associate dean and see what's happening with the admissions process and would e-mail me 'hopefully sooner than later.' I'm extremely disappointed that I've worked hard and paid for my application, and not been notified with an adequate amount of time to weigh my options before the other schools that have accepted me want replies and/or early registration begins.

Has anyone else contacted UNC in the past few weeks? If so, what have you been told?

Just adding to the chorus of those who are still waiting. I haven't talked to anyone at UNC since the first week of April and by now have pretty much written off any hope of being admitted or even getting an admissions answer. At this point, I'll be happy with a courteous "Unfortunately, our fall 2011 cohort is full" note. I would hope that paying an application fee would guarantee at least that much.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the e-mail for acceptance today, so do not give up. It seems they are running late.

Just adding to the chorus of those who are still waiting. I haven't talked to anyone at UNC since the first week of April and by now have pretty much written off any hope of being admitted or even getting an admissions answer. At this point, I'll be happy with a courteous "Unfortunately, our fall 2011 cohort is full" note. I would hope that paying an application fee would guarantee at least that much.