Stanford University

Bess

Late response, but I'm pretty sure the efficiency apartments take a curtain and cut part of the room off, making that the new bedroom. Roommates in the apartment typically trade off halfway through the year.

It did not sound appealing to me, so I left it unchecked. But it's also cheap, so there's the gain. Crossing my fingers that my modest but pricier arrangements come through.

Does anyone have an idea of what looks like a "2 Bedroom Efficiency" in Escondido Village.

I've read that those were one bedroom apartments that have been transformed to two bedroom ones, but I haven't found any drawing or plan reference about those.

What have you done about the "Are you willing to accept any assignment"?. I don't want to pay 1600$ in Munger, neither to sleep in the living room of a "1 bedroom double occupancy" apartment, but I'm international, and I think that it will be really difficult to find something else outside the campus by the first half of September if I do not move with enough time in advance.

What does it happen if you're not assigned an apartment?

Is there any second round?

Anyway, the "searchable map" of Stanford webpage is a pain. I leave you a Google Earth map with the main residences. It's a huge campus, It will take me time to get used to it.

https://rapidshare.c...ate_Housing.kml

Does anyone have an idea of what looks like a "2 Bedroom Efficiency" in Escondido Village.

I've read that those were one bedroom apartments that have been transformed to two bedroom ones, but I haven't found any drawing or plan reference about those.

Funny that. I have actually been warned by someone already in Stanford about the same thing - apparently those flats were indeed meant for one person only.

Let's keep this going.

Talking to some friends currently at the school, one of the questions I find myself wondering is whether there's a sense of community among grad students at Stanford. Clearly grad students have next to no free time, but I still insist it's possible to have some semblance of a friendship network for those precious moments of rest and relaxation.

Thoughts?

Looks like I got an EV studio - and I'm wondering if I should ask for reassignment.

Rent is $1181, which looks like it's below average for Palo Alto, but a tad expensive for on-campus housing. There's a piano room. It's decently large. So far, so good. And I won't have to worry about bothering a roommate - which is precisely what bothers me a little, because it's easy to go antisocial...

Thoughts?

HORREUR!!!

I've not been assigned any housing! And I chose every option meaning "own room" and "under 1000$;. And I chose the option that "I was willing to accept any type of housing"

How does that option works? Will they offer me a housing by mid-september costing 1500$?

How does the "2nd round" works? Should I change my preferences from the ones I chose in the 1st round?

Will I have any possibility of being assigned to one of the "own room" and "under 1000$; options, or those are the ones completely crowded?

My lottery number is 3445, quite high I think, because in the Statistics of 2010 says:

The overall cutoff number for the last male, new graduate student assigned was 3418

Some students with lottery numbers higher than the overall cutoff number and assignment priority were assigned if they specifically listed the more expensive options that were not filled with applicants who specified the final choice that they would accept any option on campus.

Any international student in the same situation?

I don't know what to do in order to find a place by my own means. It's certainly difficult to plan a trip to the US, holding the visa, and to find something.

AARRRRRRGGHHHH!!!

Edited by Yuri_Gagarin

Looks like I got an EV studio - and I'm wondering if I should ask for reassignment.

Rent is $1181, which looks like it's below average for Palo Alto, but a tad expensive for on-campus housing. There's a piano room. It's decently large. So far, so good. And I won't have to worry about bothering a roommate - which is precisely what bothers me a little, because it's easy to go antisocial...

Thoughts?

i also got assigned to an EV studio, which was my 8th choice. my top 6 choices are simply things that has own room, and under 1000k, sorted according to price including that 2 br efficiency. i only put my 7th and 8th choices so i can check the option "do not assign me if none of the above are available". i never knew grad housing are in such shortage. so... filling to reassignment... hopefully with better luck. im also worried that it is easy to go antisocial, though that might be better than getting assigned to a miss-matching roommate. 1180 is like half the stipend, i think id rather take my chances and save around 3000 dollars a year...still considering though. we have until july 4th or so to apply for reassignment. and my understanding is that the priority does not depend on when we apply.

i also applied in grouop with a continuing student. but we got split. oh well.. thats another story.

Díos mío, I also didn't realize it was this competitive. It sounds like there's a high chance you'll get off the waitlist, but in the meantime you could write to Stanford Housing and ask if they can provide information or advice for an apartment search. Very likely they can connect you with current students living off campus, and you might be able to just put out a notice asking if anyone wants a roommate for the coming year. That way the search would be done for you and you'd just join other students.

Good luck!

HORREUR!!!

I've not been assigned any housing! And I chose every option meaning "own room" and "under 1000$;. And I chose the option that "I was willing to accept any type of housing"

Got my first priority! Rains House 2BR

Yuri Gagarin, I am sorry to hear you were not assigned. I don't think you should worry. The Housing webpage with regards to the lottery statistics mentions that some students who are guaranteed accommodation (because they ticked that box that they are willing to live anywhere) were not assigned in the first round but they are still guaranteed a place. You want, of course, to double-check with them.

HORREUR!!!

I was also panicking recently, actually. Did all international students get the I-20 form already?

I only applied today. I hope this is not too late. I am still panicking. ohmy.gif

Edited by Bukharan

Got my first priority! Rains House 2BR

Yuri Gagarin, I am sorry to hear you were not assigned. I don't think you should worry. The Housing webpage with regards to the lottery statistics mentions that some students who are guaranteed accommodation (because they ticked that box that they are willing to live anywhere) were not assigned in the first round but they are still guaranteed a place. You want, of course, to double-check with them.

I was also panicking recently, actually. Did all international students get the I-20 form already?

I only applied today. I hope this is not too late. I am still panicking. ohmy.gif

Yeah, I read that too, but they got in the 1500$ Buckingham Palace of Munger. But I'm Spanish, we're in a heavy crise, I just can't afford that. I'm renting my home here to pay the accomodation there.

I'll try to find something "not so far" from Stanford, maybe in a "Tour de France" leg range. Anyone willing to share a 2 bedroom appartment? I don't snore.

I'll try to contact a friend, of a friend, of a friend, who lives in SF at least to have an idea of what do I need to rent a bedroom. Do I need a credit history? Do I need references? Lol, I will ask my "main" recommender to write me a letter of reference stating that I'm a tidy and good guy.

I've also applied today for the I-20 documents and visa related stuff. At first I received an "automated e-mail" from gradadmissions@stanford.edu saying that "there were to many inquiries to be answered". Then I sent a 2nd email stating "Second Request" in the subject line and a human being, and not just a machine, answered that the documents were correctly received; they will contact me if anything is missing.

The only thing that I think we should care about those documents is the price of the flights. The sooner we have the F-1 visa, the cheaper the flight. Allow 1 month for the I-20 and 1 month for the visa itself. We'll be buying the flight tickets by the beginning of August, when fares are at it's highest.

Yeah, I read that too, but they got in the 1500$ Buckingham Palace of Munger. But I'm Spanish, we're in a heavy crise, I just can't afford that. I'm renting my home here to pay the accomodation there.

I'll try to find something "not so far" from Stanford, maybe in a "Tour de France" leg range. Anyone willing to share a 2 bedroom appartment? I don't snore.

I'll try to contact a friend, of a friend, of a friend, who lives in SF at least to have an idea of what do I need to rent a bedroom. Do I need a credit history? Do I need references? Lol, I will ask my "main" recommender to write me a letter of reference stating that I'm a tidy and good guy.

I've also applied today for the I-20 documents and visa related stuff. At first I received an "automated e-mail" from gradadmissions@stanford.edu saying that "there were to many inquiries to be answered". Then I sent a 2nd email stating "Second Request" in the subject line and a human being, and not just a machine, answered that the documents were correctly received; they will contact me if anything is missing.

The only thing that I think we should care about those documents is the price of the flights. The sooner we have the F-1 visa, the cheaper the flight. Allow 1 month for the I-20 and 1 month for the visa itself. We'll be buying the flight tickets by the beginning of August, when fares are at it's highest.

1. I wish you the best with accommodation. I really hopes it all works out for you!

2. I had EXACTLY the same day yesterday. Hahaha. Faxed everything, sent one e-mail, send the second e-mail, then got a response that my documents have been received and I shall be contacted if anything is missing.laugh.gif

3. Yes, I am hoping for the same timing to have everything sorted out - roughly 2 months. I will be booking flights earlier though. I know there is risk involved but ... yeah, booking earlier.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi guys!

I'm structural engineering major starting in the fall! I graduated in May from my undergrad school and stanford starts in September... lol I've gotten a hell long summer vacation xDD

Hope to see you all in the fall enjoy your summer~~

Indeed, long break, can't wait to move. Luckily I have plenty of things to learn this summer.

Hi guys!

I'm structural engineering major starting in the fall! I graduated in May from my undergrad school and stanford starts in September... lol I've gotten a hell long summer vacation xDD

Hope to see you all in the fall enjoy your summer~~

Yay for structural engineering at Stanford! I guess I'll probably see you in class! Have you talked to an advisor yet? Are you going to live on campus?

Hi Aaron!! Nice to meet you (virtually)... I only talked to some of the professors when I attend the orientation for new students in March, did u attend as well??

And yeah I applied for on campus housing, but unfortunately have not gotten a room yet =( so I guess I'll wait until the next round in July, and if I'm still not getting anything... too bad I'll have to look for off campus housing =// I really prefer on campus though...

Yeah, I attended as well. I really liked the campus and thought the professors and grad students seemed very friendly. I found an apartment off campus, although I would have preferred on-campus. It is just so expensive on campus!

I am kind of lost right now as to what the next step is. I was assigned an advisor, so I suppose I should contact him.

Out of curiosity - did you also apply to Berkeley/visit their campus during your visit?

wow then i must have seen you at some point already lol...

no i did not apply to berkeley... but I would really want to visit the campus sometime after i move to stanford =)) besides one of my best friends will be doing structural engineering there!!

Is off campus housing cheaper than on campus?? cuz i've seen on stanford website where says that if you live off campus you have to add xx dollars to your budget... and is your place far from campus like do you have to drive? And hmmm weird that I dont have an advisor yet =//

wow then i must have seen you at some point already lol...

no i did not apply to berkeley... but I would really want to visit the campus sometime after i move to stanford =)) besides one of my best friends will be doing structural engineering there!!

Is off campus housing cheaper than on campus?? cuz i've seen on stanford website where says that if you live off campus you have to add xx dollars to your budget... and is your place far from campus like do you have to drive? And hmmm weird that I dont have an advisor yet =//

I'm not sure, but it appears that almost across the board, it's cheaper to live off campus nearby. If you are lucky enough to get one of the Escondido units for around ~600, you might have a competition, but otherwise, if you're a single individual, you can absolutely beat their prices with a studio in Mountain View or somewhere else nearby. If you're a couple or have children, it's even more ridiculous: for 1527 a month, I can live in a pretty awesome pad a little farther from campus and afford to get a parking pass/drive or take caltrain to school.

It really comes down to what cost you assign to having to commute or not because the price difference between staying on campus ranges from pretty close to a big win for off campus.

If I'm way off the mark here (is it insane to be looking in Sunnyvale? Santa Clara?), someone please let me know because I'd also like to make the best decision possible.

I'm not sure, but it appears that almost across the board, it's cheaper to live off campus nearby. If you are lucky enough to get one of the Escondido units for around ~600, you might have a competition, but otherwise, if you're a single individual, you can absolutely beat their prices with a studio in Mountain View or somewhere else nearby. If you're a couple or have children, it's even more ridiculous: for 1527 a month, I can live in a pretty awesome pad a little farther from campus and afford to get a parking pass/drive or take caltrain to school.

It really comes down to what cost you assign to having to commute or not because the price difference between staying on campus ranges from pretty close to a big win for off campus.

If I'm way off the mark here (is it insane to be looking in Sunnyvale? Santa Clara?), someone please let me know because I'd also like to make the best decision possible.

thanks barbar5 for the information =DD the thing is that I don't know how to drive yet lol (pretty embarrassing haha...) so is mountain view far away from campus?

I only applied for housing under 1k on campus, but I'm a little worried that if i can actually get one... otherwise i'll have to find places that have public transportation =// But when are you guys planning on moving to Cal?

thanks barbar5 for the information =DD the thing is that I don't know how to drive yet lol (pretty embarrassing haha...) so is mountain view far away from campus?

I only applied for housing under 1k on campus, but I'm a little worried that if i can actually get one... otherwise i'll have to find places that have public transportation =// But when are you guys planning on moving to Cal?

I don't want to give you bad advice, so I'll let you figure out how feasible it actually is to use public transit from mountain view and other areas. Knowing the routes and costs of Caltrain is probably the most relevant factor here.

A friend of mine only applied for the cheapest housing as well, but nonetheless received an assignment to some random spot he didn't even indicate an interest in.

We still haven't decided whether to move when our lease ends (July 31) or wait another month since it is much cheaper to live around here.

Does anyone have any information about when graduate orientation starts? I'm trying to figure out when to move in. I could just take the Sept. 16th date they're offering, but if I can spare a few more days at home before my real program orientation begins, I'd probably take it.

(And I'm afraid to even ask about course listings--- sometime in July is all I know, which seems oh-so-late to me.)

Hi! I'm in Structural Engineering. Will be staying on campus. Here to meet others of the same persuasion.

High-five for structural engineering!! i'm waiting for the housing decision in July and hopefully i can get a dorm...

Does anyone have any information about when graduate orientation starts? I'm trying to figure out when to move in. I could just take the Sept. 16th date they're offering, but if I can spare a few more days at home before my real program orientation begins, I'd probably take it.

(And I'm afraid to even ask about course listings--- sometime in July is all I know, which seems oh-so-late to me.)

I have no idea, but I, too, would love to start planning my schedule! A friend of mine said they were out in early August last year? And that the entire year's worth of courses is released at this time?

• 2 weeks later...

xiamize- I got EV in the first lottery! will PM you my details -- do add. Aaron McDevitt- will PM you also!

Hi all structure geeks!

I've applied for the second round of in-campus housing, but this time without stating that "I was going to live anywhere I was eligible for", so my chances are less than none.

Anyway I've made my mind to live somewhere near the campus if it's affordable, or somewhere far if it is not and to benefit of this "unique" opportunity of becoming a cycle champion like Lance Armstrong.

I have been checking the Padmapper site for a while, and it seems that most of the places offered are for summer (students leaving on holidays subrenting their places).

How long before the beggining of the course do you think will be enough for me to show up and find something? I have thought of buying my plane ticket for september 1st, is it enough?

Nice to meet you all. I hope to see you tanned on the Oval before the beggining.

Edited by Yuri_Gagarin

Hi all structure geeks!

I've applied for the second round of in-campus housing, but this time without stating that "I was going to live anywhere I was eligible for", so my chances are less than none.

Anyway I've made my mind to live somewhere near the campus if it's affordable, or somewhere far if it is not and to benefit of this "unique" opportunity of becoming a cycle champion like Lance Armstrong.

I have been checking the Padmapper site for a while, and it seems that most of the places offered are for summer (students leaving on holidays subrenting their places).

How long before the beggining of the course do you think will be enough for me to show up and find something? I have thought of buying my plane ticket for september 1st, is it enough?

Nice to meet you all. I hope to see you tanned on the Oval before the beggining.

I'd hope that's enough time. As far as I can tell, the local rental market is hardly affected at all by the schedules of the university: for instance here at UIUC, the school dominates the rental scene and renters will list availabilities up to 10 months in advance specifically for students. On the other hand, for around Stanford I haven't seen very many ads at all that appear to be directed at students (with the exception of faculty renting out a room in their homes near campus). Thus, almost all of the listings that are available are available "now" or within 2 weeks. Maybe I'll be surprised and all the rentals will disappear then, but I think you'll be fine.