Stanford University

Bess

Hi all structure geeks!

I've applied for the second round of in-campus housing, but this time without stating that "I was going to live anywhere I was eligible for", so my chances are less than none.

Anyway I've made my mind to live somewhere near the campus if it's affordable, or somewhere far if it is not and to benefit of this "unique" opportunity of becoming a cycle champion like Lance Armstrong.

I have been checking the Padmapper site for a while, and it seems that most of the places offered are for summer (students leaving on holidays subrenting their places).

How long before the beggining of the course do you think will be enough for me to show up and find something? I have thought of buying my plane ticket for september 1st, is it enough?

Nice to meet you all. I hope to see you tanned on the Oval before the beggining.

Heyyy nice to meet u too!! I'm waiting for the second round of housing assignment too and fingers cross for that =// just in case i cannot get a dorm, do u guys know about any off campus housing that is affordable but not too far away from campus, like can be reached by biking as i cannot drive yet... =(( ??

Also did u guys get an email today about enrollment?? I will be focus on earthquake engineering anyone with me?? =)) there's just sooo many things that need to be taken care of, but i'm super excited about the orientation and meeting u all in real in september!!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone knows when next year's courses will actually be posted? Everyone told me mid-July, and it seems like they're quite late this year. Registration opens next week!

CS courses showed up a few days ago, and I only found them by chance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow!! Summer holidays are over, and finally I got on-campus housing in the last round.

When I was thinking of going early to Stanford in order to rent an appartment I bought the flight for 09/02/11, but now I'll be moving to the apartment the first day that it's available 09/09/11, so I'll be doing a sort of nomadic life for a week, more or less.

Do you know of any place to stay. There are some places in http://www.stanford.edu/dept/visitorinfo/plan/lodging.html, but does anyone already in the bay zone have a personal experience with any of them?

Well, if you arrive and you want to meet someone just as lost as yourself to visit the campus, buy a bike, explore the zone, go to SF, or have a beer, send me a private message.

See you on the oval !!

I wasn't told who my roommates were until I was unpacking and met them.

Anyone up for beers next week?

That is indeed the way it goes. I had to ask housing to pass my information on with a request for a call so I could ask my soon-to-be roommate to pick up my keys. Apparently, they don't consider themselves authorized to tell people who they'll be living with. -__-

Beers sound good, too.

• 10 months later...

i am a pass out of National Institute of Technology, Srinagar, India... i was thinking of going for MS or preferably an MS, PhD in structural engineering in 2013 fall session.. i was a gold medalist (civil engineering) - 2011 pass out, with a good CGPA of 9.603.. plus i have a symposium pub in the earthquake engineering field as well..also, i m hoping of two more papers to get published this september.. i m currently working in the structural erection dept. of National Thermal Power Corporation, Ltd., at nagpur, India, at a super thermal power plant... and by the time i shall join the MS course, i.e. in august 2013, i shall be having a field experience of around 2 years. . . does the field experience really count?

my LORs would not be from IIT professors but from the professors of my college.. will that be enough?

what areas should i be targeting right now so as to ensure admission in a good university, preferably with a reasonable scholarship..

I am appearing for GRE in this october how far does GRE matter and whats the minimum required i should be aiming at?

regards..

Ahmad Wani,

structural erection dept.

NTPC Ltd,

Nagpur, INDIA.

mobile: +91-8275787368

• 3 months later...

Hello guys, I am thinking to apply for MSc in management science and engineering. My background is MSc in Electrical engineering. but I am worried about the verbal section of the GRE--would you please advise me of your experience how hard and important they are taking verbal scores? as their admitted students marked a little bit high average verbal score in the website.