Palo Alto, CA

How difficult is it to get on campus housing? My worry is that if I wait until on campus housing opens (sometime in May?) and I don't get it, I won't be able to find good off campus housing by that time. Specifically, how difficult is it to get couples housing, preferably a 2 bedroom?

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/26/2016 at 8:22 AM, doomination said:

wine&cheese, you'll have to define what you mean by "better" - they are closer, yes, but the off campus apartments are generally nicer by about every other metric.

Seaslugs, from what i've gathered, I don't think they ever really check. It might be helpful if your partner was there when you pick up your keys, but after that I don't think they ever check. 

Hi! I wandered on here to ask the same question about couples without children; I hope it continues to be true that they don't really check. My partner does intend to stay with me at least 4-5 months in a year, but a lot could change, and I wouldn't want to live in fear of being chucked out! If anyone sees this, and can update, I'd greatly appreciate it!

On 2/12/2019 at 1:57 AM, pech said:

How difficult is it to get on campus housing? My worry is that if I wait until on campus housing opens (sometime in May?) and I don't get it, I won't be able to find good off campus housing by that time. Specifically, how difficult is it to get couples housing, preferably a 2 bedroom?

Hi Pech,

From what I understand, first years are guaranteed housing as long as you choose the option in the housing application that you are willing to be given any housing even if it's not your choice.

• 2 weeks later...

People living car-free at Stanford: How do you get by?

How useful do you find public transit?

How easy is it to get to/from a reasonably-priced grocery store?

How trapped do you feel in the Palo Alto bubble (and how do you deal)?

How often do you get out of the city - by public transit or by bumming rides off friends?

etc..

I am heavily considering accepting an offer from Stanford but am not a huge fan of Palo Alto. I also don't drive now and would like to keep that up in grad school, but as great as Stanford itself if, I imagine that Palo Alto gets real bubble-like if you don't have a car to escape now and then. Would love to hear perspective from people already getting by without a car.

• 2 weeks later...