Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities

NoMoreABD

I'm thrilled I found this forum. I can't take it much longer... Applied to 3 Canadian schools for PhD and still haven't heard anything.

Is it a bad sign that it's taking so long?

Do you think it might take longer for international students, because of funding or something? [trying to find hope...]

I totally relate to some of the other postings here. It's such a bad feeling to wait without being able to do anything about it. I'm finishing my MA thesis now and can hardly concentrate.

Glad I found some people to wait with.

It's definitely not a bad sign!

For starters, have a look at the results page and see whether the universities/departments to which you've applied generally give people answers by now. For instance, I'm waiting on one of UCSC's programs that has a history of very late replies, so I'm not holding my breath yet.

In an interview I had a few weeks ago, the interviewer specifically mentioned that finding funding for international students takes more time and effort than for local students, so that can definitely be a reason as well. This depends on the university and the department, of course.

I hope you'll find some worthy distractions on this website while you wait, and that you'll end up getting some good news! :)

Remember also that Canadian universities are not bounded by the Council on Graduate Schools' April 15 deadline, so in theory they could make decisions after that date. Generally though, since they're often competing with US schools for applicants, they will make decisions well before April 15. I would guess that if you haven't heard anything yet, then you would be likely to hear sometime in March. You could always ask the department politely about when you can expect to hear back from them.

Canadian universities are notoriously late with their decisions, the program I applied for had an application due date of jan 15, which is a month later than most schools. I wouldn't worry to much I applied for one but likely won't hear back until April.

I only applied to 1 Canadian university and the reply was almost immediate (within a week). I was rejected. I was rather surprised, but that's how things go. Then about a month later I got an e-mail from the admissions department that they were just now sitting down to review applications and that I should expect a decision without 2 months.

I wouldn't worry so much about not hearing anything yet. I'm from Canada too, and I was told by the adcomms that I would be notified of a decision by March.

From other rumors, I hear decisions can take up to early to mid April. Anything after that though, I would send off an friendly email.

True story: My boyfriend was accepted into his Masters at UofT in September. He applied in August, but STILL.

It seems to take a little bit longer in Canada. Definitely check the results page and type in the name of the school and program to get an idea of when they send out offers. check here --> http://thegradcafe.com/survey/

The funding will probably take longer but I don't think the admit will. You just might receive an offer and be waitlisted for funding. If anything make sure you've got a backup plan for funding. Waiting sucks but you'll have your offers within a few months. Don't worry. Good luck with Planning. :)

As everyone's said, Canadian schools generally have later deadlines and, therefore, later decision dates. That being said, I've received notice from two of the three Canadian schools to which I applied, including one of yours (albeit in a different department).

applied to U of T for PhD....the wait is killing me

And the stupid status: "under review" for about a month. Can't they be more specific? They should have more status updates, like "we lost your email address and now looking for it so we can send our decision"

And the stupid status: "under review" for about a month. Can't they be more specific? They should have more status updates, like "we lost your email address and now looking for it so we can send our decision"

or "mocking your credentials behind closed doors", or "decision made: now waiting to build suspense"

they could at least have fun with it. the same status for months gets old

I am so happy to have found this forum. The waiting is driving me crazy. Anyone else applied to the University of Victoria, Phd in International Management, and is still waiting for a decision? I noticed a couple of people posted that they've been rejected.

UBC and TO results came mid to late march for me last year.

Well, then I guess not getting any news yet really doesn't mean anything.

Preparing myself for two more weeks of anticipation....

I'm also awaiting results from York. Looking at the results board, I'm pretty sure we'll be hearing back soon. It's reading week in Ontario, so I think most adcomms are meeting this week.

I applied back in November (the program deadline was Feb 1st) so it has been a excruciatingly long wait. I contacted the program a few weeks ago, and I was told I'd be notified by March 31st at the latest.

Fingers crossed.

Edited by PrettyVacant

I'm also awaiting results from York. Looking at the results board, I'm pretty sure we'll be hearing back soon. It's reading week in Ontario, so I think most adcomms are meeting this week.

I applied back in November (the program deadline was Feb 1st) so it has been a excruciatingly long wait. I contacted the program a few weeks ago, and I was told I'd be notified by March 31st at the latest.

Fingers crossed.

Good luck!

My program deadline was Jan 10. I hope the wait is almost over...

Good luck!

My program deadline was Jan 10. I hope the wait is almost over...

I hope so too. I'm refreshing the results board every 5 minutes.... I can't take it anymore.

And good luck to you as well! Please keep us updated. :)

Edited by PrettyVacant

My online status with one university just changed from "Application under review" to " File forwarded to the department". However I know the department has been looking at my file for a while. Is it possible that they were just behind with the online update or could it mean something else?

Thanks