Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities

NoMoreABD

• 2 months later...

Hey, anyone else here applied for Master of Professional Communication at Ryerson? I heard this school is notoriously known for taking their sweet time when it comes to hearbacks /sigh. Anyhow, I'm glad I found this site - waiting game is not fun. :(

Best luck to all.

I applied! Still waiting....I heard from someone who got in last year though. She got her acceptance on April 6

Hey, anyone else here applied for Master of Professional Communication at Ryerson? I heard this school is notoriously known for taking their sweet time when it comes to hearbacks /sigh. Anyhow, I'm glad I found this site - waiting game is not fun. :(

Best luck to all.

Hi there,

Who else besides me is waiting for University of British Columbia's reply to their status for Master of Engineering/Science mechanical engineering?

It has been a long wait..since the 1st Feb submission deadline.

Still Waiting....Is anyone else jealous that all these American schools are hearing back much quicker than we are??

Not jealous, just kind of angry. I applied to both American and Canadian schools, and I have to make a decision soon and I haven't even heard back from any Canadian schools. Guess I have to pick up the phone and call them soon. Wonder if I can get a refund for my app if they haven't looked at it yet. Lol

I applied! Still waiting....I heard from someone who got in last year though. She got her acceptance on April 6

Ahh awesome, someone who applied to the same program as me! I'm not alone! :)

April 6th? We must be getting warm then. Good luck to you, matak.

I would say that if you haven't heard back yet you prob are in the 2nd wave of apps. Meaning they are waiting till mid April for their first offers to be declined or accepted, then they will contact you on a decision. I was rejected across all schools last year and heard from them mid-march. This year I fared better, but still am in the backup category for a few schools. I checked with them and this was confirmed. Just email the program coordinator and ask about your status to put your mind at ease.

Edited by DustSNK

Just got an Acceptance from McMaster for the Sociology MA. Won't be accepting (kills me a little deep inside it was my dream school), had to accept my other offer very early on and got 9k$ more than McMaster's offer >__< Ohhhhh the inner turmoil! So 1 more slot open (maybe for an international student because I am one).

I am still waiting! I emailed the admissions coordinator today but it turns out she's no longer working there :( So I was redirected to a generic email and the response was that everyone should hear back by the end of the month. I've noticed some people have received acceptances AND rejections to the program I applied for...

I am still waiting! I emailed the admissions coordinator today but it turns out she's no longer working there :( So I was redirected to a generic email and the response was that everyone should hear back by the end of the month. I've noticed some people have received acceptances AND rejections to the program I applied for...

If you know your program has sent out both rejections and admission offers, and you haven't gotten either, I would say you are in the "2nd wave" of apps. That deff happened to me. Last year I applied to the McMaster Soc MA and got a rejection on March 11th. This year I heard people on here in mid-march getting offers, while I had not a peep. Then April 12th an offer. I asked the admin about this a few weeks ago after I saw some people here getting in, and they said that I was still under consideration. So prob waiting for the 1st round to accept or decline their offers before they asked me.

Is second wave sort of like being wait listed?

Unofficially, yeah. The adcomm will have a prioritized list of people to send acceptances to, so as their offers are declined, they'll simply move down the list.

I still havent heard back but i know at least one person from the program I applied to (I only applied to one, too, Michelleelleh, so I feel your pain!) had an acceptance deadline of April 16th, so it may be a bit before I hear back yet.

I don't know about this waitlist business, I have heard it described as being a person who is put off until the next year of admits to the department emailing you that you have in fact been waitlisted. So from my POV if you are waitlisted it is something the department tells you, otherwise you are just behind some of the people they felt would fit the best for them at that time but are still very attractive. But I have only really got into the process with one school asking them questions. When I did, they didn't say waitlisted like everyone else says the department told them. They just said you are still under consideration :/

Edited by DustSNK

• 1 month later...

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, wow. Just found this amazing forum today, wish I had found it sooner.

Hoping to get some insight from one MA Communications student another. I have no real "academic" background in Communications, so any insight would be appreciated. I was willing to go wherever I was accepted but instead got into everywhere- MA Comm @ Carleton, MA Comm @ Ottawa and MA Communications + Culture at Ryerson.

I have funding at all schools, full funding at U Ottawa and Carleton, but Ryerson is closer to where I live. I realize money isn't everything, if someone had some insight into key differences (if any) between the programs, it would be helpful!

Cheers!

Anyone heard from Ottawa's MEd program? I feel like it's so late, and some ppl have already been accepted, but mine is still the same it's been since January... I've called twice and each time they told me I'd hear at a later date (latest estimate was mid-may). Does anyone know what that means in terms of where I stand?

Thanks!