Waiting it Out on Canadian Universities

NoMoreABD

Woke up to find an email from UBC (I'm 10 hrs ahead of the school).

The first response I get and it's a rejection sad.gif

[sCARP PhD]

I feel awful. I thought this was the school for which I had the best chance of being accepted. I'm completely discouraged right now.

Good luck for the rest of you.

I feel your pain...

I applied to UBC MPH and it looks like acceptance and waitlist letters went out already...Since I haven't heard anything yet, I am assuming it is a rejection. This was my first choice so I am really feeling in the pits right now...

Is it okay to email the grad secretary of a Canadian institution to enquire about admission status? I've received admissions from USA schools and the reply deadline for one of them is 3rd April. Looking at previous years, decisions from my programs have ranged from anywhere between 10 March to 25 May (there were only 5). It's a masters program and Ph.D applicants started hearing 3 weeks ago.

I would definitely contact the program if I were you. Good luck!

Woke up to find an email from UBC (I'm 10 hrs ahead of the school).

The first response I get and it's a rejection sad.gif

[sCARP PhD]

I feel awful. I thought this was the school for which I had the best chance of being accepted. I'm completely discouraged right now.

Good luck for the rest of you.

I am so sorry to read this. Best of luck with the rest of them.

It's really frustrating not to receive any notification back yet!

The Canadian schools I've applied to are UofToronto, UofOttawa and McGill. I've got an interview from McGill for next week which is amazing, but I heard that interviews in Canada are not common so I hope that means a good thing... Also I received an invitation to a graduate open house at UOttawa, but I haven't been accepted, do they normally invite people not accepted yet to open houses? This confuses me.

I know others that have been accepted to all these schools already, actually back in January and February they received acceptances. I just hope this is a sign that while I may not be their first choice, I'm still not rejected yet and so still have a chance. This is so frustrating and anxiety inducing!!!

I also received an invite to the U of Ottawa Graduate Programs Info Session. I applied to two U of Ottawa programs, rejected from one and still waiting to hear from the other.

Since they are offering free transport and funding to get you to the shuttle bus I would think it wouldn't be cost effective for Ottawa to send invitations to students it was going to reject two weeks later. But who knows!

I just found out that I got into UVic!!! I am so happy. This is my first accpetance after 3 rejections. I was so worried. :) To those still waiting on the Canadian schools, hang in there. My POI told me that UVic was slow with sending out the admit letters this year.

I just found out that I got into UVic!!! I am so happy. This is my first accpetance after 3 rejections. I was so worried. :) To those still waiting on the Canadian schools, hang in there. My POI told me that UVic was slow with sending out the admit letters this year.

Congrats! It's a very good school in an extremely pretty city.

Just keeping this thread alive

If anyone hears anything from the Canadian schools, please let us know...

...so we can FREAK OUT some more huh.gif

Well, I heard from the U of Ottawa at the end of February which was less than 2 weeks after I applied, so they aren't all super slow.

I also heard from McGill eight days ago.

I'm still waiting on UBC and Toronto.

Good luck, guys. :)

I also received an invite to the U of Ottawa Graduate Programs Info Session. I applied to two U of Ottawa programs, rejected from one and still waiting to hear from the other.

Since they are offering free transport and funding to get you to the shuttle bus I would think it wouldn't be cost effective for Ottawa to send invitations to students it was going to reject two weeks later. But who knows!

Hmmm. To you and Epyion, I wouldn't read into this -- I got the same invitation to the Ottawa open house, but I also got an email on the same day saying they had lost my transcripts. Free transportation seems interesting, but I'm not sure how I can be accepted if they don't have my grades. Or "marks", as it were. Maybe Ottawa is just rolling it in this year.

Good luck to all the Canadians! Hang in there, our time is coming...

U of T:

Someone posted in another forum that they called the Geography Dept. last week and were told that all decisions for the MA stream had been made, and that they'll send out remaining replies on Monday.

Now it's Wednesday, and I still haven't heard anything. My application status on the website is still "under review".

Although I'm waiting on the PhD stream, I'm guessing I'm just waiting for a snail mail rejection.

I wish they would just take 30 seconds to look at my address, realize I'm waiting for their mail to reach the other side of the globe, and then take 30 seconds more and write me a simple email: "Sorry. You're rejected".

mellow.gif

Any Ottawa applicants having trouble viewing their Infoweb accout? All of a sudden there are no applications listed under "Graduate Admissions Status" which is driving me nuts cause people are posting acceptences to my program on the results page.

Any Ottawa applicants having trouble viewing their Infoweb accout? All of a sudden there are no applications listed under "Graduate Admissions Status" which is driving me nuts cause people are posting acceptences to my program on the results page.

Nope. Mine works perfectly. Although, they haven't updated it since they accepted me.

Peace

Has anyone received an acceptance letter by postal mail from the U of Toronto?

I emailed them to find out my status and they said result letters had gone out last Friday. However, when I look at the GradCafe survey page it looks like only rejection letters went out by postal mail. Acceptance notices seem to have been delivered by phone or email.

If I've been rejected and I specifically asked to know my status, why not just tell me via email instead of forcing me to wait for a letter...? It seems unnecessary. :(

If I've been rejected and I specifically asked to know my status, why not just tell me via email instead of forcing me to wait for a letter...? It seems unnecessary. :(

I feel you. Just been unofficially rejected from another Canadian program via email. I emailed to inquire about status, and the email back was not encouraging, to say the least. Now I just have to wait for that small envelope in the mail. Considering just dropping in the fire unopened with the rest of the pieces of my sparkly dreams.

Has anyone received an acceptance letter by postal mail from the U of Toronto?

From what I read in other forums, it's not encouraging. The postal mail is usually (of course, not always) for rejections.

I hate this - I know I'm rejected but my mind refuses to move on until I get the letter. It's good, cause it's hope, but it's actually pretty bad, cause it's false hope.mellow.gif

Having said that, can I ask your advice on how to word an email for asking about my status? I figure at this stage it wouldn't hurt to ask...

At this point, I don't think it will come across as over-eager to email for a status update. It is mid-late March and results have been going out since the beginning of February from many schools. Based on the advice given in another thread, I wrote to two of my schools last night. One of them got back to me right away (this morning). I've yet to hear from the other. But now that I know a letter is in the mail from UT, I am prepared to accept their rejection and can at least focus on the schools I have been accepted to.

Oh, and Foreign Guy, check your inbox -- I pm'd you a copy of the email I sent. Hope it helps and hope you hear good news soon! :)

Just got an email from York U Grad Admissions saying they had received my application. It's a little worrisome considering I sent my application about 5 months ago. :angry: Myfile still says "no decision." I'm assuming the program just sent my application back to graduate admissions, so I'm expecting a rejection... Most admits get notified by email from the program....

Did anyone else get this email?

Edited by PrettyVacant

Hi,

I applied to UBC, Toronto and Queen's for MA in Economics. Havent heard anything.

I saw couple of people received acceptance from Toronto and UBC via email on another board.

Edited by alphan

I applied to four schools: Queen's, UofT, UOttawa, and McGill

I was accepted to Queen's 2 weeks ago,

Haven't heard from UofT or UOttawa,

And was given the "our interests don't align so we cannot offer you a position" today after a terrible interview with McGill 2 days ago