From BA to MA to PhD

lokes

How to plan it? Help needed!  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which strategy?

• Go for a more focused MA at less prestigious school
    • Go for an MA at a top school even though the program interests you less
    • Other

I am finishing my BA and am looking at MAs.

Should I do the more narrowly focused anthro MA at a not well known department which most closely suits my research interests and would prepare me for the specific topic I want to study later on.

OR, do I go for the more rigorous MA at a larger, top ranked, and prestigious department? The cost of each is similar.

I already have a POI for the PhD but worried when I apply they might not be taking students so I will have to go somewhere else and focus on a different topic, in which case the more focused MA from the not so well known department might be a disadvantage.

My BA isn't in anthro though I have a lot of anthro courses and research experience, as you can see from this cutting-edge poll I developed.

I think it depends on what your goals are. If you're interested in going into applied anthropology or do not necessarily have your heart set on top 10-ish schools, do your M.A. wherever. If you need to be at a top department, you'll need good grades and good letters from a top MA program (also not necessarily in anthropology). You should also easily be able to target more than 1 department for PhD options. Having your heart dead set on one school with an all-or-nothing mentality is dangerous and can lead to despair of the worst kind

I am finishing my BA and am looking at MAs.

Should I do the more narrowly focused anthro MA at a not well known department which most closely suits my research interests and would prepare me for the specific topic I want to study later on.

OR, do I go for the more rigorous MA at a larger, top ranked, and prestigious department? The cost of each is similar.

I already have a POI for the PhD but worried when I apply they might not be taking students so I will have to go somewhere else and focus on a different topic, in which case the more focused MA from the not so well known department might be a disadvantage.

My BA isn't in anthro though I have a lot of anthro courses and research experience, as you can see from this cutting-edge poll I developed.

I think it depends on what your goals are. If you're interested in going into applied anthropology or do not necessarily have your heart set on top 10-ish schools, do your M.A. wherever. If you need to be at a top department, you'll need good grades and good letters from a top MA program (also not necessarily in anthropology). You should also easily be able to target more than 1 department for PhD options. Having your heart dead set on one school with an all-or-nothing mentality is dangerous and can lead to despair of the worst kind

OK thanks for the advice. My goal has always been teaching/researching socio-cultural anthro.

After my masters I need to work for a year or two (abroad in 'my field') then I'll reapply in fall 2012 hopefully with a great masters thesis to show and those letters you mention.

i replied in support of the more prestigious school. the reason is that at a better program there are sometimes many benefits not immediately apparent when just looking at the specialization of the faculty. Also, the faculty themselves may be of a higher calibre. last, as a new graduate of an undergrad program, you will have a lot to learn wherever you go- specialization will come later and may limit your vision if it's your driving force now.

I'll echo repeat what I've caught wind of elsewhere.

1. If you are aiming to teach at more prestigious universities at the top of the caste: Go more prestigious or move up the ladder, and then once you're in, makeshift your thesis to your interests if you can.

2. If you're like me and just want a job anywhere but plan on lifelong research that makes you happy, pursue your interests at the school that best meets them. Getting limited to a Masters program may have been a blessing in disguise for me, but I don't know that yet and won't until I've begun ;)

3. Applied: The school that offers you the most hands on affiliations. A lot of middle tier and smaller schools are great for this need. I know this doesn't apply but technical schools are a good model for apprenticeships.

Those are my thoughts. But as a neophyte, what do I know?

In my opinion, you can never go wrong with a rigorous, broad MA. If your interests change, or if you end up going to a different department than you originally wanted, it'll be more applicable. You can usually do your MA thesis on a specific topic of your interest, using the broader resources or perspectives available in the department. It could also be helpful to get different, broader perspectives that you can later use to better understand your own specific topic. You can always take 'concentration' courses or try to focus all your papers on your specific topic, so that you are not 'out of the loop' on the research.

A more narrow MA at a less prestigious school may end up backfiring or limiting your options. I think this would be a better option than a broad MA if your intentions were to start working right away (e.g. in government) or as someone else said, if you want to do applied anthropology. For academia strong, broad foundations are always better.

Just my opinion though. You should also ask your faculty advisors at your BA school.