Jump to content

April 15 is today and I am still waiting on schools


Recommended Posts

Is anyone else on here dealing with this? I got another fall-back offer patiently waiting since February and three schools who have still not made a decision whether to admit or reject. I'm worried that I might have to tell a school "Sorry, I was going to accept your offer but you're too late - I accepted another offer as the deadline passed."

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have contacted about a dozen schools the the past couple of weeks, some multiple times. I withdrew a few applications because I knew that I was going to turn down the offer if accepted (of course, I asked them what the offer would have been first because I can't carelessly burn my bridges). All three of the schools that I am waiting on have told me that they would make a decision by today and they know full well that I can't wait any longer. I will likely call them after lunch time if they haven't made a decision yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I have contacted about a dozen schools the the past couple of weeks, some multiple times. I withdrew a few applications because I knew that I was going to turn down the offer if accepted (of course, I asked them what the offer would have been first because I can't carelessly burn my bridges). All three of the schools that I am waiting on have told me that they would make a decision by today and they know full well that I can't wait any longer. I will likely call them after lunch time if they haven't made a decision yet.

Oh man what a pickle! Make sure you know what you're going to do in each situation, you won't have time to think about it! Don't forget about time changes too! Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I do not understand how any schools are still deliberating now, but it happens. My girlfriend and I both have multiple schools left to get back to us--and we have both called and e-mailed them multiple times, always getting the answer that the decisions would be made "soon." Likely this means "the graduate director is in the hospital, but we do not want to panic anyone."

The best is that one school told me two weeks ago that they only notify of decisions by mail, and will not give out information any other way, and of course the letter they claimed they sent out never arrived. The best for my girlfriend is the school whose graduate director had a personal emergency come up and really might just never make any decisions. Or her school that decided at the end of March that they were not going to accept any students this year, due to the director's time constraints. I wonder if she can get a refund of her application fee?

On the plus side, we both have until the "real" deadline to figure this stuff out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got two back. They were quite different.

  • Nebraska: We tried, but the school won't give us more funding before April 15. Sorry we will miss the deadline. We understand if you have to withdraw your application but we would have loved to have you here.

    Texas: You're rejected. Go f**k yourself.

I am still waiting on one more school. I will know very soon where I am going.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I just declined two schools (funded) yesterday. Both showed acceptances today by others off their wait lists. There is a LOT of action right now. I was waiting out a wait list myself but gave it up and am happy with where I got accepted, although not what I had first expected. Two people were happy with the exact same schools I gave up. I think there will be acceptances after 4/15, there will have to be, don't give up your hopes.

Link to post
Share on other sites

it's so frustrating to wait for schools to give you offer as if out of mercy.

the school that i wanna get in most initially sent out offers to top 12 NOW top 18 of the whole candidate pool (out of 87 people), when they're only having 7 spots. sadly i wasn't even top 1/4. now my self esteem plunged straight to the bottom and feeling really frustrated.

grrhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Imagine this. I got rejected from a school on April 11th, so I accepted my other offer quickly. Only to wake up on Morning and a professor mailed me from the school that rejected me saying that it was an error. He invited me to come and see him in late April. He said he wants to make me an offer in person. WTF?

What do you think?

Bavarian.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I stopped including risque pictures in my application packets.

haha I feel I should not laugh at this though--because this is terrible situation for bavarian to be in.

I honestly don't know what you can do--I mean, you can't go back on accepting an offer at this point, right?

What a disorganized decision-making process! You might just be better off going elsewhere anyway!

Link to post
Share on other sites
The deadline applies only to funded offers right ? Cant we accept any number of unfunded offers, get the I-20s and then decide ?

That's disgraceful. Why would you accept multiple offers, thereby @#$%ing over not only the departments involved, but also the students on their waitlist? This is the kind of action a program director would remember to tell his colleagues about.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still waiting to hear from a school too. Called them last week said decisions will be made on Tuesday (4/15) and will email. Well 2 days later and I'm still waiting. Should I call and bug them again or just wait? I'm losing hope though cause I figure not a lot get in after 4/15 but I would still like to know definitively.

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.