Mohammad Ali

Raleigh, NC

On 13/2/2018 at 5:18 PM, devbioboy said:

@BayesianLove Overall, I think that the neighborhood that ES King isn't the safest. I think that the side facing Jackson St (a side road of Gorman) is a little bit sketchier than the side facing Ligon St. I think that it may be because there's a few apartment complexes right off of Jackson St where people tend to loiter around during the day and Jackson St isn't very well lit at night. The side on Ligon St is way better lit and is near a mosque, a church, and a school, so it's a lot safer. I'm not sure if there's a way that you can ask to be put in a specific building in the complex if you do decide to live there, but I don't think that it'd hurt to ask if you were seriously considering living there. 

You should also look at Wolf Ridge if you're interested in 2 bedroom, furnished apartments. They're on Centennial Campus (where Engineering and Textiles are housed) and are super nice. While they may be a bit pricey, you're definitely paying for it in convenience and furnishings. Also, they're super close to Hunt Library and are a few minutes away (walking) from Wolfline stops.

Your opinion on Jackson St. agrees with what I have read in most websites. Wolf Ridge is beautiful and I'd love to go there, but they don't allow families (and they don't have any free graduate loft anymore).

Thanks for the input, it's been very helpful!

@devbioboy Just heard back from them. Grad loft in Wolf Ridge are for single students only.

Do you have an opinion about the area near Western Manor? Is it a safe place overall? How does it compare with ES King in terms of safety? It's unfurnished, so I'll need to figure out how to buy a bed as soon as I get off the plane :D

Hello everyone!

I recently got admitted to NCSU with 2200/month (without tax) for TAing. Does anyone know whether this amount is enough for my monthly expenses? I am moving from another country so I don't know anything about expenses in the USA. 

Thank you all in advance!

9 hours ago, BayesianLove said:

@devbioboy Just heard back from them. Grad loft in Wolf Ridge are for single students only.

Do you have an opinion about the area near Western Manor? Is it a safe place overall? How does it compare with ES King in terms of safety? It's unfurnished, so I'll need to figure out how to buy a bed as soon as I get off the plane :D

I personally like the area around Western Manor! It seems safe (but it's pretty dark at night over there at night, but seems way safer than ES King). The apartments in Western Manor are nicer than the ones in ES King from what I've heard. It's right across the street from Centennial Campus and is right on Avent Ferry, so you'll have easy access to most of the Wolflines. I'd go with those over ES King's any day. In terms of beds, you can look into Fred's Beds which deliver all over the Raleigh area, or Craigslist.

9 hours ago, Kimia said:

Hello everyone!

I recently got admitted to NCSU with 2200/month (without tax) for TAing. Does anyone know whether this amount is enough for my monthly expenses? I am moving from another country so I don't know anything about expenses in the USA. 

Thank you all in advance!

Hi @Kimia , based on my personal experiences, I think that 2200/month is enough to live. You'll have to save some money aside for taxes every month to pay at the end of the year whenever you file (I'd suggest somewhere around 200-250 just to be safe). Rent around NC State is generally very reasonable (I've seen unfurnished, one bedroom, apartments for around 700-800/mo, you can go even cheaper than that if you get roommates which a lot of international grad students do). Groceries are pretty cheap (I personally spend around 100/month) and eating out every week or so isn't too much of an additional expense. If you live near campus on or around Gorman St or Avent Ferry Rd, you can use the Wolfline, which are free to ride.

20 hours ago, devbioboy said:

I personally like the area around Western Manor! It seems safe (but it's pretty dark at night over there at night, but seems way safer than ES King). The apartments in Western Manor are nicer than the ones in ES King from what I've heard. It's right across the street from Centennial Campus and is right on Avent Ferry, so you'll have easy access to most of the Wolflines. I'd go with those over ES King's any day. In terms of beds, you can look into Fred's Beds which deliver all over the Raleigh area, or Craigslist.

Thanks a lot for your comments. Looks like you'll be leaving Raleigh (probably for Boston :P), let me know if you're in the city next Fall though, I owe you a beer!

Apologies if this has been asked before, but what are the best coffeeshops/cafes/public workspaces in Raleigh? Preferably near NC State?