Syracuse, NY

gradgirl

Hey amj6c,

Congratulations on getting into Maxwell, you'll do really well there. If you can, I'd recommend getting a GA-ship with Professor Rosemary O'Leary. She's awesome. Anyway, I myself am not an SU student, I followed my gf to Syracuse from CA like your bf will. There seem to be moderately good prospects for substitute teaching in the area for him if he's interested. Besides the university, it's otherwise a somewhat industrially depressed region though things are changing. I hope 2011-2012 are good for you guys, it's not going to be easy living in Syracuse during the winter. Depending on where you're from, he may find it helpful to just come here and check out some local companies (or even bars if he has to) and secure a job. Summertime empties out the city, he may find better prospects early. He should try Onondaga Community College, too (e.g. http://www.sunyocc.edu/index.aspx?menu=820&id=26181). Or even take a few classes, it's a fantastic school. Hope this helps.

This is a really old thread, but I'll ask anyway.

I'll be moving to Syracuse this June to start the MPA program. My boyfriend is planning to move up there with me, but neither of us know much/anything about the job prospects in the area. Does anyone know anything about this or have any advice? He's got a BA in education studies, but is willing to do pretty much anything for the year I need to be there. Any recommendations for where/how to start looking outside of what's posted on craigslist and syracuse.com?

Oh, and Syracuse gets crazy humid (it was for us!) over the summer and generally has record-breaking snowfalls each year during the winter. Bring your suitcase of courage. I hail from sunny California, it took a little getting used to.

Hey amj6c,

Congratulations on getting into Maxwell, you'll do really well there. If you can, I'd recommend getting a GA-ship with Professor Rosemary O'Leary. She's awesome. Anyway, I myself am not an SU student, I followed my gf to Syracuse from CA like your bf will. There seem to be moderately good prospects for substitute teaching in the area for him if he's interested. Besides the university, it's otherwise a somewhat industrially depressed region though things are changing. I hope 2011-2012 are good for you guys, it's not going to be easy living in Syracuse during the winter. Depending on where you're from, he may find it helpful to just come here and check out some local companies (or even bars if he has to) and secure a job. Summertime empties out the city, he may find better prospects early. He should try Onondaga Community College, too (e.g. http://www.sunyocc.e...nu=820&id=26181). Or even take a few classes, it's a fantastic school. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I'm going to Syracuse for graduate MFA program. Turning down SMFA/Tufts University in Boston.

I'm an artist and grad student. I don't care about the "night life" really. I'm not going to be going clubbin' or anything. Would be nice to be near some restaurants (sushi, chinese, italian, etc?) and coffee shops but not necessary. I do need to be somewhat near a grocery store. I'm pretty much going to spend all my time working in my art studio on campus and doing a TA on campus. Then, I'll be home sleeping or relaxing with my cat. Occasionally might go out to dinner, catch an art opening, whatever.

I don't mind the weather. I've lived in the South with extreme humidity for half my life and the Midwest with extreme cold/snow for the other half. Syracuse may have a bit more snow than here but it's not as cold. So I can adjust. Plus, you go to the school for the quality of education, not the weather. You can always head to Cali for your spring break. :)

Anyway... I haven't been able to visit and don't think I can before I move. So I need to find an apartment. One bedroom preferably. I guess around the $500 to $600 range. I need to be walking distance to campus (up to 25 minutes of walking is fine) and I have big snow boots! :)

The closer the better because I do need to get over to my studio at different times of the night if necessary. So I need a safe area. I do NOT want to live around loud undergrad college students. I went to a private undergrad and am not used to be around loud University students. So... a clean building.. no bugs... no loud students, nearby the University and affordable.

What neighborhood(s) do you suggest? Any specific apartment buildings/renters you recommend? How far is downtown from Syracuse University? How late do buses run?

Anything else I need to know about the school, area, or the arts scene?

I'm looking to move June/July ---ish. :)

Thanks!

Oh, and Syracuse gets crazy humid (it was for us!) over the summer and generally has record-breaking snowfalls each year during the winter. Bring your suitcase of courage. I hail from sunny California, it took a little getting used to.

Edited by Artist1

ooo

also, if I were to be picky...

I wanted to know if there are any apartments with the older style tubs (claw foot)? Tons of them in the midwest. Super nice and relaxing :)

Hardwood floors or mostly carpeted? I've looked on CL and a lot are carpeted. A lot of listings for duplexes and larger apartments... still looking for one bedroom...

Looks like I'm going to Syracuse for graduate MFA program. Turning down SMFA/Tufts University in Boston.

I'm an artist and grad student. I don't care about the "night life" really. I'm not going to be going clubbin' or anything. Would be nice to be near some restaurants (sushi, chinese, italian, etc?) and coffee shops but not necessary. I do need to be somewhat near a grocery store. I'm pretty much going to spend all my time working in my art studio on campus and doing a TA on campus. Then, I'll be home sleeping or relaxing with my cat. Occasionally might go out to dinner, catch an art opening, whatever.

I don't mind the weather. I've lived in the South with extreme humidity for half my life and the Midwest with extreme cold/snow for the other half. Syracuse may have a bit more snow than here but it's not as cold. So I can adjust. Plus, you go to the school for the quality of education, not the weather. You can always head to Cali for your spring break. :)

Anyway... I haven't been able to visit and don't think I can before I move. So I need to find an apartment. One bedroom preferably. I guess around the $500 to $600 range. I need to be walking distance to campus (up to 25 minutes of walking is fine) and I have big snow boots! :)

The closer the better because I do need to get over to my studio at different times of the night if necessary. So I need a safe area. I do NOT want to live around loud undergrad college students. I went to a private undergrad and am not used to be around loud University students. So... a clean building.. no bugs... no loud students, nearby the University and affordable.

What neighborhood(s) do you suggest? Any specific apartment buildings/renters you recommend? How far is downtown from Syracuse University? How late do buses run?

Thanks!

So, most juniors and seniors choose to live off campus, therefore the areas immediately around campus are mostly "undergraduate ghetto", so to speak. It is loud and we partied hard and late. Honestly, since I went there for undergrad, I'm not really sure where grad students lived! I will say that I think things get quieter South of Stratford Street (though parts of Ackerman and Lancaster will still have a lot of undergrads on them), and also once you get closer to Westcott Street on the east. Westcott is a nice little area with a couple restaurants, shops, and a little Syracuse library branch. It's a bit of a hike from campus, though, but I honestly think anywhere that's not packed with undergrads is. Armory Square, which is the heart of downtown's eating/drinking center is a little more than a mile and a half from campus. You'll be OK walking there during the daytime, but I wouldn't do it at night. I never felt super unsafe in Syracuse (and I grew up in a small, safe town), but crimes of opportunity happen around campus: break-ins, muggings, etc., so it's best to be aware and try to walk on streets that are well-lit at night.

Living downtown is another option if you want a more urban feel...a friend's sister did that when she was taking graduate classes and working for a law firm there. There is a CENTRO campus bus that picks up from the Warehouse (an SU facility) downtown and goes to campus, and is obviously free to students. I took that to and from classes at the Warehouse senior year, and it was a quick and convenient ride.

Good luck!

Thanks!

Thanks for the info! I've been told so far that Westcott/Dewitt and Downtown are the best areas for grad students. I'm super quiet and just need a nice, clean space so I can study/research, eat dinner, watch a movie with my cat and sleep. My apartment will be my lil sanctuary away from campus. So I have to stay away from the undergrad students in the loud apartments. I chose Syracuse over SMFA/Tufts University this year due to the great facilities, cost of living, and comfortable studio space to work in. Also, I'm set with a TA + stipend. So I'll be working on campus as well.

I guess I'd be fine with an area further in the Westcott or Downtown area if there is reliable public transportation. But how late do buses run to campus? How early do they start in the morning? Are most just a straight shot or will I need to do some transfers? I'm not used to a smaller city so I don't know how reliable it is to get around without a car. Are all buses in the city free if you are a student or just buses that go to SU?

I've lived in bad neighborhoods near section 8 housing with a high crime rate, but I was familiar with the city. I'm just nervous about NOT knowing about the specific areas, etc. Within a block or two could start getting sketchy. So I'm just trying to gather all the right info to make my choice, especially that I can't visit to see the apartments. :(

I've seen some apartments online that are South of campus, near a large cemetery. I haven't heard anything about students living in this area and if it is safe? The apartments are just beneath the cemetery on the map. Have you heard anything? Just curious..

I was looking at "Maple Gardens" in the Dewitt neighborhood online. It's in my price range and heat is included. Some have balconies. Looks pretty good from the description and photos. But I've had a hard time finding any ratings/reviews online. It's hard to tell from the reviews anyway because they sound like bitter tenants. You get mostly bad reviews on all apartments....from the color of the walls to the staff being rude, etc.

So, most juniors and seniors choose to live off campus, therefore the areas immediately around campus are mostly "undergraduate ghetto", so to speak. It is loud and we partied hard and late. Honestly, since I went there for undergrad, I'm not really sure where grad students lived! I will say that I think things get quieter South of Stratford Street (though parts of Ackerman and Lancaster will still have a lot of undergrads on them), and also once you get closer to Westcott Street on the east. Westcott is a nice little area with a couple restaurants, shops, and a little Syracuse library branch. It's a bit of a hike from campus, though, but I honestly think anywhere that's not packed with undergrads is. Armory Square, which is the heart of downtown's eating/drinking center is a little more than a mile and a half from campus. You'll be OK walking there during the daytime, but I wouldn't do it at night. I never felt super unsafe in Syracuse (and I grew up in a small, safe town), but crimes of opportunity happen around campus: break-ins, muggings, etc., so it's best to be aware and try to walk on streets that are well-lit at night.

Living downtown is another option if you want a more urban feel...a friend's sister did that when she was taking graduate classes and working for a law firm there. There is a CENTRO campus bus that picks up from the Warehouse (an SU facility) downtown and goes to campus, and is obviously free to students. I took that to and from classes at the Warehouse senior year, and it was a quick and convenient ride.

Good luck!

Here's a link to the CENTRO (Syracuse area bus service) website: http://www.centro.org/Syracuse-University-Service.aspx . That is specifically the SU buses, and you can navigate around the site to find the regular city route schedules. I believe just the University routes are free to students, but the regular fare is just $1.25 or $50 for the whole month. The bus from downtown is direct to the University, no transfers, so it's fairly fast. You can check the schedules to see what times they run.

I'm not terribly familiar with the neighborhood directly south of the cemetery, but it is right by the athletic complex, and therefore easily served by campus bus. I would not rent anything south of the cemetery that is west of 81...that is one of the less nice areas of Syracuse.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Maple Gardens, so I can't help you out there, but I do think that DeWitt is generally nice (save for the strip malls on Erie Blvd :-P ).

Thanks for the info! I've been told so far that Westcott/Dewitt and Downtown are the best areas for grad students. I'm super quiet and just need a nice, clean space so I can study/research, eat dinner, watch a movie with my cat and sleep. My apartment will be my lil sanctuary away from campus. So I have to stay away from the undergrad students in the loud apartments. I chose Syracuse over SMFA/Tufts University this year due to the great facilities, cost of living, and comfortable studio space to work in. Also, I'm set with a TA + stipend. So I'll be working on campus as well.

I guess I'd be fine with an area further in the Westcott or Downtown area if there is reliable public transportation. But how late do buses run to campus? How early do they start in the morning? Are most just a straight shot or will I need to do some transfers? I'm not used to a smaller city so I don't know how reliable it is to get around without a car. Are all buses in the city free if you are a student or just buses that go to SU?

I've lived in bad neighborhoods near section 8 housing with a high crime rate, but I was familiar with the city. I'm just nervous about NOT knowing about the specific areas, etc. Within a block or two could start getting sketchy. So I'm just trying to gather all the right info to make my choice, especially that I can't visit to see the apartments. :(

I've seen some apartments online that are South of campus, near a large cemetery. I haven't heard anything about students living in this area and if it is safe? The apartments are just beneath the cemetery on the map. Have you heard anything? Just curious..

I was looking at "Maple Gardens" in the Dewitt neighborhood online. It's in my price range and heat is included. Some have balconies. Looks pretty good from the description and photos. But I've had a hard time finding any ratings/reviews online. It's hard to tell from the reviews anyway because they sound like bitter tenants. You get mostly bad reviews on all apartments....from the color of the walls to the staff being rude, etc.

I'll clarify my recommendation for the Westcott area--it's best if you're looking to rent with a group. If you have 3-4 people, you can get a house (yes, with claw foot tubs! my bf's apartment on Westcott has them) for $300 or $400 a month each. If you're looking for a single, you're going to be paying $600 and up in the SU area...it's hard to find reasonably priced singles because the market is dominated by groups of undergrads. Some of the houses in the area have been subdivided to create studio apts (I know that's how a lot of the Euclid offshoots are, too), but this isn't really a neighborhood that caters to those who want to live alone.

There will be a bit of a displaced graduate population looking for housing this year, though--the university used to let grad students live on South Campus (maybe 2 dozen did) and is changing that policy. Apartments usually are gone by early summer here, though, so if you can trek over in the near future, I would really recommend that.

Hi there, I'm starting this July at the Newhouse School of Public Communications in the TV/Film MA, also bewildered about finding a place to live. I know it's one of many places - shared houses, other complexes, etc, etc - but I wonder if anybody can tell me what they know/think of James Court at 1033 James Street? Would it be safe for a woman alone? If safe, would it be too boring? lol [EDIT: The only reason I mention it specifically, is because it said heat was included AND it was already "furnished." What would that mean? Would the beds be trustworthy? I too won't be able to view places in person. I know, I know, I should just room with others in a house in Wescott. ;-)]

Edited by yamara34

Hi there, I'm starting this July at the Newhouse School of Public Communications in the TV/Film MA, also bewildered about finding a place to live. I know it's one of many places - shared houses, other complexes, etc, etc - but I wonder if anybody can tell me what they know/think of James Court at 1033 James Street? Would it be safe for a woman alone? If safe, would it be too boring? lol [EDIT: The only reason I mention it specifically, is because it said heat was included AND it was already "furnished." What would that mean? Would the beds be trustworthy? I too won't be able to view places in person. I know, I know, I should just room with others in a house in Wescott. ;-)]

Hmm, actually, amend that. I asked on another forum about James Court and it's dangerous, I'm told, or at least for someone living on her own.

Would anyone know about University Village and if its priciness is worth it?

What about the Maplewood Gardens apartments in the Dewitt/Wescott area? It looks nice with a pool and balconies. I haven't seen many bad reviews..

Also, Nob Hill Apartments?

Do this have nearby bus lines to SU (free student bus route)?

Hmm, actually, amend that. I asked on another forum about James Court and it's dangerous, I'm told, or at least for someone living on her own.

University Village is brand new and has a ton of amenities, but to be 100% honest, I'd never pay those prices in a small, somewhat depressed former industrial city. In Boston or DC? Maybe. Not in Syracuse.

What about the Maplewood Gardens apartments in the Dewitt/Wescott area? It looks nice with a pool and balconies. I haven't seen many bad reviews..

Also, Nob Hill Apartments?

Do this have nearby bus lines to SU (free student bus route)?

Nob Hill has direct bus service to campus, I believe (I remember seeing Nob Hill signs on buses stopped at campus), but there's not really much of anything around it. Maplewood Gardens is in a nice area and close to campus. I don't know much about either complex in terms of reputation, but in terms of location, Maplewood wins.

Thanks for the info! I'm going to have to rely on the bus and walking/biking since I have no car. I couldn't tell if there is a nearby bus at Maplewood Gardens. I wouldn't mind walking a couple blocks or so, but need a direct bus line to campus. I haven't seen anything bad posted about it but they are posting a lot on Craigslist. It's within my budget (under $700 with utilities included). I just need a relatively quiet place to live away from undergrads (and also not a place with tons of loud children running around). It looks like Maplewood Gardens is listed in the Dewitt area instead of Westcott. I've been asking around about safe neighborhoods and was told not to go north Westcott....but noone has said anything about the Dewitt area where Maplewood Gardens is located. It's so hard to tell with just a few pictures online and a few reviews.

In terms of location... looking for something close with a direct bus service, safe neighborhood....would be nice to be near grocery store if possible, or near a bus line that goes to one. I don't care about being near bars or restaurants. I'm pretty much going to be working in my studio on campus, doing my TA and then at home doing writing/researching and sleeping. If I want to go out for a weekend, I'll head to NYC to see my friends. :)

Nob Hill has direct bus service to campus, I believe (I remember seeing Nob Hill signs on buses stopped at campus), but there's not really much of anything around it. Maplewood Gardens is in a nice area and close to campus. I don't know much about either complex in terms of reputation, but in terms of location, Maplewood wins.

• 3 weeks later...

Found a one bedroom in the Westcott area and will be moving in July. So that is one thing I was able to check off my list. Now I am wondering what those of you leaving in Syracuse would recommend in regards to banking and cellphone carrier. I am an international student- so can use some insight.

Thanks!

Found a one bedroom in the Westcott area and will be moving in July. So that is one thing I was able to check off my list. Now I am wondering what those of you leaving in Syracuse would recommend in regards to banking and cellphone carrier. I am an international student- so can use some insight.

Thanks!

HSBC is probably your best best as it actually has a full branch location on campus and one ATM right in the student center. As for cellphone carrier, there's no right answer. All carriers have great service up here so go for whichever you want.

On GradCafe a number of posters recommend opening an account with a credit union. I have tried contacting a couple and have been told as an international student I cannot join. Do any of you know of one that will accept an international student like myself?

• 5 months later...

Hi. Thank you for great info in this Topic. I am an international student and I will be studying M.S in Engineering Management for spring 2012.

As an international student, I am a little concerned. because I know no body.

Can anyone help me how to start. I searched the orangehousing.com I found some apartments. around $500. The property manager asked me to sign the electronically contract. is it okay? I mean I am little worried

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I don't go to SU, but I've lived in Syracuse my whole life.  There are two (and a half) bar scenes in the city.  The first is Armory Square in downtown Syracuse.  There's a collection of 20 or so bars/restaurants in a three or four block radius.  They range from more "clubby" places (Daisy Dukes, Fuel, PJ Dorsey's, Mulley's) to more laid back lounge/bars (Empire Brewing Co, Blue Tusk, Al's Wine and Whiskey Lounge).  There's also SU hill, up near the university, though I honestly couldn't tell you much about it since I never go there.  There's also a smaller scene on Tipp Hill; fewer but more well known bars like Blarney Stone and Rosie O'Grady's.

The city is fine; some places more safer than others, obviously.  It gets cold in the winter, and lake effect snow can be a pain; but the summers are really nice.  There's enough stuff to do if you're willing to look a little bit.  The zoo is nice.  Onondaga Lake Park is a good place for picnics or jogging; they also do canoe/boat rentals.  I'm a big fan of the MOST (museum of science and technology), but I'm also a nerd.  There's also the Everson museum, plus a couple of theaters that get the occasional big acts/shows (Wicked and The Lion King came through here in the past year).  If you're more of a big city kind of person, NYC is about 4 hours away.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

• 1 month later...

I don't go to SU, but I've lived in Syracuse my whole life.  There are two (and a half) bar scenes in the city.  The first is Armory Square in downtown Syracuse.  There's a collection of 20 or so bars/restaurants in a three or four block radius.  They range from more "clubby" places (Daisy Dukes, Fuel, PJ Dorsey's, Mulley's) to more laid back lounge/bars (Empire Brewing Co, Blue Tusk, Al's Wine and Whiskey Lounge).  There's also SU hill, up near the university, though I honestly couldn't tell you much about it since I never go there.  There's also a smaller scene on Tipp Hill; fewer but more well known bars like Blarney Stone and Rosie O'Grady's.

The city is fine; some places more safer than others, obviously.  It gets cold in the winter, and lake effect snow can be a pain; but the summers are really nice.  There's enough stuff to do if you're willing to look a little bit.  The zoo is nice.  Onondaga Lake Park is a good place for picnics or jogging; they also do canoe/boat rentals.  I'm a big fan of the MOST (museum of science and technology), but I'm also a nerd.  There's also the Everson museum, plus a couple of theaters that get the occasional big acts/shows (Wicked and The Lion King came through here in the past year).  If you're more of a big city kind of person, NYC is about 4 hours away.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.

Hi, Can you discuss some of the neighborhoods that you think would be safe and quiet for graduate students and/or people who need to walk to the university often? Conversely, can you talk about neighborhoods that you do not think are safe? Thank you very much. 

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi all, I know that this thread is a bit dates, but I was accepted into Syracuse last week, and I intend to accept the offer ! I am looking into places to live at the moment,, From this thread, I noted that Westcott and Dewitt areas seem to be more quiet for grads. Any suggestions? I am looking for a one bedroom or studio, would love your feedback... Also within 15 - 20 mins walking distance.

It seems that the snow is also pretty bad here...I'm dreading that - I'm from the Caribbean !