Syracuse, NY

gradgirl

Hi!!! I was accepted there too, and I intend on accepting them. What program are u going for? 

I am from NY, yet I am also dreading the move to the North Pole. I am using Trulia.com for now, looking for apartments, but I hear Craigslist is an option too. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also heading to Syracuse in the Fall (for Anthropology).  I was just there on the 28th of February for a conference, and yes, it was damn cold lol.  I'm from the Capital Region of New York so it's not a huge change for me, but they definitely get more snow than we do.  With that, they were voted #1 on the snowiest campus list (in America):

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/02/syracuse_university_snowiest_colleges_list_weather_channel.html

The snow doesn't phase me though.  It is what it is and I've been digging myself out for a while now lol.  I love the Northeast and wouldn't want to have it any other way.  Overall, I think that the campus is awesome and the surrounding area has a lot to offer.  I think that you would need to travel by car, bus, or taxi mostly...anyone who wants to bike around the city would need to be quite experienced/brave.  I wouldn't do it.  As for rent, I think you could land a studio for $500-600/month.  I think that a graduate stipend would go pretty far here...definitely not NYC costs.

I will most likely be commuting to the school, probably about a half hour drive.  Hopefully I won't regret it in the winters, but I'd also like to live with my boyfriend versus living alone.

Hi all, I know that this thread is a bit dates, but I was accepted into Syracuse last week, and I intend to accept the offer ! I am looking into places to live at the moment,, From this thread, I noted that Westcott and Dewitt areas seem to be more quiet for grads. Any suggestions? I am looking for a one bedroom or studio, would love your feedback... Also within 15 - 20 mins walking distance.

It seems that the snow is also pretty bad here...I'm dreading that - I'm from the Caribbean !                                                                                                                                                                                                              

hi i also got accepted last week and i start this fall, I'm from ghana and i think it might be hotter than the carribean lol, any luck with housing? i was looking up apartments using orangehousing.com 

• 2 weeks later...

I got accpeted for MS Aero and most probably will be attending if I don't get into ASU or UCI. Being an international student my biggest concern is housing. I do not want to share an apartment. How much should I pay for a 1BR, all-utilities-included apartment and what would be the best place to stay? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I was accepted and will be attending the dual MA in Marriage and Family Therapy and Social Work. I am really excited! I was wondering if anyone knows how the plowing system is. I am bringing a car and am not a big fan of driving in the snow. 

Whats up everyone!

I just accepted the offer from Maxwell for an MA IR and will also be moving to Syracuse this summer. I am also looking for housing in the area, perferably around the Westcott area. So I'm just looking for suggestions on landlords and housing websites.

Not really looking for much from everyone, just wanted to contribute to the conversation and say what up.

• 4 weeks later...

I got accepted into the Religion program. I have been reading up on crime and safety in Suracuse, which has me a bit anxious. If anyone has found accomadation that is reasoanble and safe, please do let me know!

I was accepted and will be attending the dual MA in Marriage and Family Therapy and Social Work. I am really excited! I was wondering if anyone knows how the plowing system is. I am bringing a car and am not a big fan of driving in the snow. 

I will be attending the MA in Marriage and Family Therapy program. I was thinking of the dual program, but decided not to try for it.

Have you been able to find somewhere to live yet? I plan on talking to someone from Off-Campus Housing. I'm looking for an inexpensive Studio or 1-BR apartment in a safe area, relatively close to Peck Hall, but I'll take something inexpensive and in a safe/decent area over something close. If I can take the bus and get there within 30 minutes then I'll be okay.

Edited by Balanced23

I have found some places. My issue is that I am not able to see them beforehand. which is what really has me anxious! I would have liked to be able to see them before agreeing to security deposit etc..I plan on heading to Syracuse in August. I just do not know if I want to leave it till then, as all the good places will probably be gone.. 

I have found some places. My issue is that I am not able to see them beforehand. which is what really has me anxious! I would have liked to be able to see them before agreeing to security deposit etc..I plan on heading to Syracuse in August. I just do not know if I want to leave it till then, as all the good places will probably be gone..

I would most definitely recommend signing a lease online. I am in search of a studio or 1BR and already in trouble as many places I was interested in are already taken.Try to get an apartment with the minimum lease term so you would be able to relocate to another one if you do not like it once you get there. Waiting till August would not be wise in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Old thread, but hoping I can start it up again. Got accepted into Syracuse for PhD in Poli Sci. I have never lived up north(I'm from Miami), so I'd prefer something close to campus, and I'm bringing my car, but I don't feel super comfortable driving long distances in the winter. From what I've seen, Wescott seems to be a good place for grad students. I started looking on Orange Housing and hopefully I'll have some luck. Can anyone give me an idea of the plowing schedule in the winter?  

I guess I'm not really adding anything to the conversation, just looking to write about my next steps...

Old thread, but hoping I can start it up again. Got accepted into Syracuse for PhD in Poli Sci. I have never lived up north(I'm from Miami), so I'd prefer something close to campus, and I'm bringing my car, but I don't feel super comfortable driving long distances in the winter. From what I've seen, Wescott seems to be a good place for grad students. I started looking on Orange Housing and hopefully I'll have some luck. Can anyone give me an idea of the plowing schedule in the winter?  

I guess I'm not really adding anything to the conversation, just looking to write about my next steps...

If you're bringing your car, I would suggest looking at Clarendon Heights and Nob Hill apartments (both are about 2.5 miles away from campus). Westcott mostly has 2-5 bedroom houses which you can rent with friends. It is also close to the downtown and has a number of restaurants. I personally don't really like Westcott because I hate living with roommates. If you're okay with that though, then you can probably cut your rent in half living in Westcott. I've been here only one winter but the roads are always clear and in the two complexes I mentioned above, they have 24 hr maintenance staff which takes care of the snow.

*waves* Me too, although waiting for funding. Not sure if I'll end up going, but sifting through the thread to glean some information. Looks like quite a nice place to live really. 

• 1 month later...

Got accepted into the Museum Studies program and am also beginning the search for an apartment. I am from Wisconsin so the snow isn't that daunting, but I am trying to get a feel for the area. I will be visit campus later this month, so hopefully that will help. Anyone on here in the same program? Also, any tips on neighborhoods and/or places (restaurants, attractions, etc) to see on my short visit to Syracuse?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all

Im a Fulbright foreign student and I got accepted for a MAIR in Maxwell School for fall 2015 and I accepted the offer. Now the next step is to found housing. What's the calmest safest and closest place to Maxwell?

I am also looking for open minded grad students preferably fulbrighters in MPA or MAIR (if not it doesn't really matter) to find a house or apartment off campus with! I'm new to the US, to Syracuse and the roommate search so if anyone has any help to give I would appreciate.

Feel free to message me if you can help or you are interested!

Many Thanks and good luck

• 8 months later...

This thread doesn't look too active, but I'm hoping someone can help! I might move to Syracuse this fall and have a question about the Westcott area. It seems pretty cool, with a co-op, bus service, etc. But is this an undergrad heavy area? I don't want to accidently end up where there are tons of parties, especially since a lot of housing seems to be split up houses. Would appreciate any recommendations for a quiet, but hip neighborhood. Thanks in advance!

14 hours ago, olympichopeful said:

This thread doesn't look too active, but I'm hoping someone can help! I might move to Syracuse this fall and have a question about the Westcott area. It seems pretty cool, with a co-op, bus service, etc. But is this an undergrad heavy area? I don't want to accidently end up where there are tons of parties, especially since a lot of housing seems to be split up houses. Would appreciate any recommendations for a quiet, but hip neighborhood. Thanks in advance!

Regardless of what you read online, Westcott--which is the hippest neighborhood in Syracuse--isn't actually that hip and cool. It's a rundown strip of like two blocks with an overpriced Mexican food restaurant, a Papa Johns, and a Subway. Everyone raves about it (likely because there's nothing to do in Syracuse except Destiny USA, the mall...but even that), but it's nothing special. As for undergrad issues, you'd be fine in Westcott. It's a mixture of undergrads, grad students, and families. Parties, at least what I can see because I don't party, seem to be concentrated at the greek houses.

If you have a car or plan on riding the bus, try Clarendon Heights. Renovated apts...and unless you have rude neighbors, it'll be quiet. Out of the way, but still in the mix of things! 

Edited by the_queer_ecologist

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, 

If anyone else is currently in Syracuse or is going to be, please let me know. I have an acceptance from Syracuse University and I'd love to chat about the weather, housing, etc. I'm originally from Sri Lanka, and I've been in California for six years so the idea of cold weather in particular is making me anxious.

Thank you! :)

• 3 months later...

Hi there,

Moving the old thread up again. This is Jasim from Bahrain (located in the Arabian Gulf, Middle East). I was reading the thread (Syracuse, NY) and wanted to participate. I got a TA for the PhD program in Mathematics and I will be at Syracuse in the beginning of August. I have few questions and I will be thankful if you can answer any of them, have a comment or add something. I know that some of my questions have been discussed and answered before in other threads in GradCafe, but I need at least Syracuse-tailored answers or anything additional. I have read tons of threads before writing this and this is the first post for me, so please excuse my enthusiasm. By just reading though forums, websites, and watching videos in YouTube, I was able to apply to unis, accept an offer, get the visa and buy a ticket.

1- Banking: Based on what I read in forums, I think that international students with no SSN and no credit history can't get a credit card. My professor told me the opposite? He said you will see people and ads asking if anyone wants a credit card! Do you know if this is true? Personally, I don't believe that and I have a foreign credit card to use when necessary.

Regarding banks, I guess I will go with HSBS. Do you have any recommendations or better banks? Do they know how to deal with international students?

Other that cash, western union or wire transfer, do you know practical ways to get my money at Syracuse. Are travel checks still used at Syracuse?

2- Housing:

Can I get a room in a hotel without having a credit card? If yes, is there a huge money deposit that must be given? I don't mind showing a credit card for the hotel but in the end when I check out I want to pay in cash, is that possible? I don't like to use credit cards as they are dangerous and incur interest insanely.

Can I rent an apartment with no SSN and no credit history? I have got a teaching assistant with a stipend of $17k per year, that is, $1954.34 per month (without taxing). Is the letter of acceptance, I-20 and passport enough to get an apartment for an international student in Syracuse Area? Should the rent be at maximum one third of my stipend?

I am targeting the apartments to the south of the University: Carriage House, Mt. St. James Apartments, Clarendon Heights, Hidden Valley, Greenwich Manor, and Maplewood Garden Apartments.  I want to rent beforehand or at least booking (if that's available), but I can't see how is that possible without seeing the apartments myself and check that everything is as it appears on the photos. The problem is that it will be too late to hunt apartments in August (5th August is my date of arrival) or at least that what I heard. Any suggestions?

To make it worst, I will arrive on Friday when all the apartment offices are closed and so will be Slutzker center (of international students). So I guess I have to spend at least two nights at a hotel until Monday. On Monday, I plan to go around all the apartments and decide by Tuesday which one is the best? Do you think two days is enough to make a decision? That's a four day bill at a hotel just to find an apartment. Other than Sheraton University Hotel with the discounted rate of $119/night for international students, is there any temporary housing I can stay in while searching for an apartment which is near campus in the same time? My professor (Syracuse Alumni) told me that Syracuse used to let international students stay temporarily at the dorms before returning students come back. Is this option available now?

4- Books: I probably won't be able to afford buying new books, so I will buy used ones. Are these available? What about renting? Who is cheaper buying used books or renting them? Do I need to get my most important undergraduate books with me? Are famous undergrad books readily available at the library to borrow?

Thank you