Jump to content

Its after the 15th and Im still waiting!


Recommended Posts

I emailed the last school I have hope for to get into. The director of the program was at a conference and said she would get me the info today. what does that even mean? Is it good that I haven't heard yet...? or should I be fearing another rejection? It sucks because I need to apply to master's programs but I don't want to pay for all of the applications when I still have slight hope in one ph.d. program. Any thoughts?!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, hopefully, you'll find out one way or the other today. I don't know how long this process of coming off of waitlists or last-minute accepts goes on, but maybe you should start getting your application materials ready just in case; at least it might take your mind off the waiting.

Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know how frustrating this is. I too am waiting on 3 schools. One school told me a week ago that I have been put on their wait list, and In the event an admitted student should cancel, the committee will meet again, then decide who gets in from the waitlist. Not sure how many members of the committee must get involved to make the wait list admission selection. but just think try to put some people into a last minute meeting is not easy. I guess it is all pending on the schools and how quickly they are capable of processing. so, if you haven't heard anything by now, don't worry too much. I don't think it is you, but rather that school takes some time to decide. I think it is common to hear the updates starting next week, sometimes even in May. I wish you all the best! get out and enjoy the beautiful weather, you have done all you can to make yourself the strong candidate. The outcome is out of your hand now. Worry will not make your life any easier. :D Be happy, everything will be ok. The road doesn't end here if you don't get to your top school or any other schools. I know I will try again next year if I don't get in. Best of Luck!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh yeah? Well, it is a WEEK after the 15th, and I am still waiting! Beat that! (I am sure someone will/can beat it)

Still no news at all from one school (I would not go there anyway at this point, really), and eternal limbo from my top remaining choice as to whether I will get any funding, or even whether I am guaranteed admission. If the graduate director would just say I am definitively admitted, I would accept it and take my chances with funding. But he always paired statements like "I can admit you now, with enthusiasm!" with "not everyone who reaches this stage is admitted." ?!?!

I have to tell my other two potential choices by the 28th; I have already e-mailed and called the aforementioned graduate director four or five times, and he told me on the 10th that he fully understands my anxiety and will let me know the moment anything changes. But what do I do once the deadlines for me actually being able to go ANYWHERE hit? Is it unreasonable to ask one last time (at the end of this week, last business day before the 28th) if I am admitted at all, funding notwithstanding, even though he said he would let me know if anything changed? I have no choice after Friday than to take one of the other offers, after all; I am not going to miss out on my chance to start a doctoral program just because I waited on another school that ultimately did not even accept me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything is variable, and everyone has a story to tell. I know a person who got funding a week after classes started. In philosophy! Wow, I would never go on loans in philosophy, but she got lucky. If you have until the 28th at your other schools, then you have a few days. It's just that you have only three schools--well, really you are only looking at that one dithering place--and they have maybe a dozen or more supplicants knocking, and maybe they started with a hundred or more. For the ones on the inside, the perspective is so different. What's a few days, more or less? From the outside, it's like a little kid waiting for Xmas morning--it feels like it will never come.

I even wrote that to one admissions chair while I was waiting--I said it was like looking through a telescope from the other side. He was quite cheerful, agreed, wished me luck, and after a few days, sent a rejection. But they have lots of applicants, and it's just that their perspective is different. And it's not like you're left stranded on the beach--you have offers. From what you wrote, I thought you had some mixed feelings about this school anyway (well it sounded mixed to me, maybe I am way off base). However, this is the real world. If you have to make a decision by a due date, it's fair to say so, and if they still are fiddling around, then they can continue to fiddle while you decide on a school that can make up its mind. I don't know what your field of study is, but I'll bet it is not involved with fiddling around and dithering.

Link to post
Share on other sites
I don't know what your field of study is, but I'll bet it is not involved with fiddling around and dithering.

That's assuming he's not a music major.

Bad puns aside, we all have deadlines. I've got three programs I'm still waiting on, and I have to get a decision in asap. This kind of stress could have been avoided if my top choice would have accepted me straight out.

It's all their fault! =)

Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.