Memphis, TN

erjensen

I am from the west coast and have been accepted to the University of Memphis for graduate school. Although I am visiting Memphis in a few weeks, I was just wondering if some locals/other students could tell me what it is like. Thanks!

I am from the west coast and have been accepted to the University of Memphis for graduate school. Although I am visiting Memphis in a few weeks, I was just wondering if some locals/other students could tell me what it is like. Thanks!

Hey...I was just wondering what memphis is like as well. I was just accepted there and the Univ of Tennesee and am having problems choosing! I am most likely going to attend the open house in a few weeks, but also wanted to know more about memphis!!

Hey...I was just wondering what memphis is like as well. I was just accepted there and the Univ of Tennesee and am having problems choosing! I am most likely going to attend the open house in a few weeks, but also wanted to know more about memphis!!

I'll also be at the open house... I have never been to Tennessee, so I am very excited/eager/curious.

I'll also be at the open house... I have never been to Tennessee, so I am very excited/eager/curious.

I will be at the Open House as well. I am originally from memphis but currently in TX. Shoot me an e-mail if you want: rmjones123@gmail.com I can try to answer any questions you may have.

what is everyone doing that is going to the open house regarding hotels? :)

Hey guys! I'm from Memphis (lived there 22 of my 23 years!), and I'm pretty positive I will be attending U of M in the fall (AuD program). Memphis is a pretty cool place in certain areas.. Downtown is starting to become full of young grad students (U of M law school just moved down there), and the UT medical campus is located in the Downtown-Midtown area (right by the SLP & AUD school). I am living abroad currently, so I won't be at the Open House, but if you want any advice on where to stay, where to eat, what to do, just message me back or e-mail me (melaniec.carter@gmail.com).

Memphis is a bit different from the rest of TN. Although, the whole state is seen as being 'southern & conservative', the 'Midtown' area of Memphis is quite forward-thinking & full of great restaurants, bars, and live music. I've been all over TN, and I probably wouldn't choose to live anywhere else in the state. This is just my personal opinion!

The things that make me most excited about coming back to Memphis are: The Greenline (http://www.greatermemphisgreenline.org/)--- you'll love this if you're a runner or like to bike!, the food! (BBQ & fried chicken, just to name a few), and the fact that there are so many opportunities to make a difference there. Unfortunately, there is a huge divide (racially & socio-econonically), but it means there is a lot of work we can do to make a difference (especially in our field, seeing a huge range of problems, ages, etc.).

Anyway, just let me know if you want anymore info! I'd love to get to know anyone and everyone who chooses this program!!

Melanie

• 11 months later...

Any current or recent Memphis grad students around to give an update of what living there is like/costs?

I'm not a student at UofM, but I've lived in the city/surrounding area most of my life. Midtown has the best combo of affordability, safety, and entertainment in Memphis. It's an unusual city, as the "bad" neighborhoods are intertwined with the "good" neighborhoods. For instance, one street west of my apartment will land you in the middle of halfway houses, but 2 blocks south or northeast contain some of the most valuable property in the city. You really have to see an apartment in person to be able to judge the area.

As far as costs, rent is very reasonable in Midtown, though utilities are on the high side. I pay $660 for a 2bd/1ba turn-of-the-century apartment within a 4-plex with a W/D and central A/C/heat. I am within walking distance of the zoo, a movie theater, a playhouse, a plethora of bars and restaurants, and a grocery store. UofM is about 10-15 minutes away. Though commuter parking at UofM is horrendous (there's an active train track that separates the main parking lot from campus), any affordable housing for a student's budget within walking distance is pretty crime-infested.

Downtown Memphis is not worth the hype unless you're going to be over there every day. It's over-priced, and parking leaves much to be desired. It's better left to the tourists. The suburbs (meaning any neighborhood other than Midtown/Downtown) are either gang-infested, again over-priced, or just blah. There are a few small towns within a 30-40 minute drive of the city center (in Shelby County and DeSoto County, MS), particularly if public schools are a concern.

I have a love/hate relationship with this city. It's working on its problems, but it still has a long way to go. It's tolerable once you find your niche. Though, if I had to choose between living in Nashville or living in Memphis, I'd pick Nashville every time.

Also, particularly within Midtown, look for addresses Belvedere Blvd. and eastward, North Parkway and southward, East Parkway and westward, and Central Ave. and northward. That block covers a large area, and you should have no trouble finding something within it. There's also an area south of Central called Cooper-Young that's up and coming.

Good luck!

I just moved from Memphis after spending 5 years there for undergrad at the University of Memphis, and I moved to a new place every year and so got a decent feel for the city.

There are a few areas where UoM students typically live: Campus, Cordova, Midtown

Campus: the UoM is mainly a "commuter school" so very little of the student population actually lives on campus (id guess <10%). And its expensive compared to living in the city. There are a lot of resedential neighborhoods nearby campus that make for good student housing because its so cheap but be careful which street its on, some are OK, some are scary.

Cordova: after living on campus for a year, I moved to Cordova which is probably the best value/cost ratio. Its clean, safe (for Memphis), lots of shopping nearby, and plenty of reasonably priced apartment complexes. The disadvantage is mainly the distance. Its about a 20min drive down the highway to campus which becomes ~45min in 8am traffick. Also, its is described by some as "chainy", "generic", or just boring. Lots of chain restaurants and hardly any nightlife to speak of.

Midtown: the last couple years I spent moving around midtown. The trick in Midtown is finding a cool place to live where you wont get shot. Like other posters have said its very splotchy, one street is nice and homey, the next is gang territory. But beyond that, Midtown is great because its has a good nightlife, lots of cafes and interesting restaurants, etc. The population there tends to be younger, more open minded, progressive, "culturaly aware" (whatever that means) than the rest of Memphis.

as for other places: Downtown (too far away), Germantown (too expensive), Bartlett (boring).

Conclusion, if your main concern is: convenience (neighborhood nearby campus), cost or saftey (Cordova/Bartlett), good times (Midtown, esp near cooper-young intersection)

Of course, this is all IMHO. I have much more to say about Memphis, but will save that for another post

Mud island is the little island just west of memphis, kindof floating in the Mississippi river. There is a bridge that crosses between downtown and the island. Others would know more about it but Id guess that crime isnt really a problem there even though its so close to the city. I think that a lot of the Med students get together and split apartments over there. Its great if you will be downtown most of the time, but the biggest downfall is cost. For some reason, its kind of an upscale place to live, especially for students. There is a little beach/park walkway thing around the island which is great for a walk/jog/sunset.

Mud island is the little island just west of memphis, kindof floating in the Mississippi river. There is a bridge that crosses between downtown and the island. Others would know more about it but Id guess that crime isnt really a problem there even though its so close to the city. I think that a lot of the Med students get together and split apartments over there. Its great if you will be downtown most of the time, but the biggest downfall is cost. For some reason, its kind of an upscale place to live, especially for students. There is a little beach/park walkway thing around the island which is great for a walk/jog/sunset.

Thanks so much. I am headed to Memphis this weekend and I'll definitely check it out!

• 3 years later...

Have been accepted to University of Memphis SLP program and want to know about the city. Every time I tell someone that's where I am thinking of going they say that Memphis is a very dangerous place to live. Any info from current residents and suggests on where it would be safe and cost effective to live would be appreciated.

I've been living in Memphis for ~2 years. I would say "cooper-young" is the best place for young people to live. You can find affordable places and duplexes to rent and it's a safe neighborhood esp within the area of s barksdale, central, s cox and walker. There are lots of good bars and restaurants within walking distance and I see people walking dogs, running all the time.

Mud island is a safe area and there are many apartment complexes but they're pretty expensive (1 bedroom apartment is usually $1000 or more). But Mississippi river is right there so it's a nice place to jog/walk dog etc.

So is public transportation pretty easy and safe? Are there definite areas to steer away from. My concern is that when I am looking for a place to live I am so unfamiliar with the city I don't want to end up in a bad place.  I am from a large city. I like city living  so I have common sense about safety just concerned that I haven't heard any positive feedback about living in Memphis.

• 9 months later...

Thanks to everyone that has previously posted in the group! I will be coming from Michigan for a campus visit in a month or two. Just seeing if any new info is out there on cost effective/safe places to live, maybe some key terms to search as I consider places to check out while down there for the campus visit. Thanks! 

• 4 weeks later...

I grew up in Memphis. Most people love or hate Memphis, but I love it. It's home. Picking the right place to live is just a matter of going into town and finding the right, affordable place one weekend. I would not recommend basing your living decision off of a post you see online. Collierville is a town about 30 minutes outside of the city and it is a picture-perfect town. There are several towns like these that if I get into Memphis for SLP grad, I will pair up with several girls and split the cost of a small house. 

On February 4, 2016 at 11:39 AM, Hugs4Hugs said:

Thanks to everyone that has previously posted in the group! I will be coming from Michigan for a campus visit in a month or two. Just seeing if any new info is out there on cost effective/safe places to live, maybe some key terms to search as I consider places to check out while down there for the campus visit. Thanks! 

Hi! I am currently a senior at the UofM. I am not originally from Memphis, but I have LOVED my time here. If you are looking for housing off campus, there are many quaint houses for rent in the Midtown area just a few minutes west of the campus. Many people live just south of campus within walking distance to campus. Crime seems to be relatively lower in the midtown area than south of campus. Look at streets off of Central Avenue to start you search such as Reese and Ellsworth. (And by crime in these areas, I mean robbery--not major gang crime.) 

On March 14, 2016 at 4:33 PM, lersc said:

Any good apartment buildings/locations that people would recommend?

It depends on where exactly you are wanting to live. Where will you be attending school, or do you have an idea of town where you would like to live? Although not realty sites, Choose901.com and ILoveMemphisblog.com are helpful resources for things happening in the city and just to make you excited about your move.

• 3 weeks later...