State College, PA

Guest Ms. Geology

I'll stick up for State College/Penn State again on the cultural front. While the student body is mostly white, that isn't to say that there is a lack of cultural things. In my time there, I went to see the Soweto Gospel Choir, a bunch of touring Broadway shows, a bunch of other singers/musicians, operas, and speakers like Maya Angelou, James Earl Jones, and Theresa Heinz Kerry. In a given year, there's a lot going on, much of it free or cheap for students. Additionally, while there is plenty of homophobia, it's not very different from what I'm getting on a given day in DC with my boyfriend.

Can anyone give some reviews on apartment communities? Such as Parkway Plaza, Lion's Gate, Nittany Gardens, Allenway..... I've been checking out housing and I'm getting a little overwhelmed.... They've all got pretty websites and everything looks nice, but I think some comments from people who've really lived there would be more helpful.

Can anyone give some reviews on apartment communities? Such as Parkway Plaza, Lion's Gate, Nittany Gardens, Allenway..... I've been checking out housing and I'm getting a little overwhelmed.... They've all got pretty websites and everything looks nice, but I think some comments from people who've really lived there would be more helpful.

I would avoid Lion's Gate if possible - somewhat shabby and they rake you over the coals when you leave (i.e. kiss your deposit goodbye). Parkway plaza is a little better, and Allenway seemed really nice. Never went into Nittany Gardens. I heartily recommend Falk Realty's Colony Apartments - lived there 3 years, best apartment and best treatment I ever had.

Anybody move out to State College from the West Coast? I've been reading the conversations about diverse/not diverse, tolerable, intolerable and since, that's all a matter of comparison, I'm hoping someone with a similar scale to mine is out there.

I've been accepted into the anthro department with funding that blows everything else I've been offered out of the water. But they flew me out to visit, and in that time felt myself shriveling into husk. Maybe I just had bad luck... only there for two days... but the food was awful, the campus seemed dead, the landscape bleak, people bored.

Saving grace might be the hiking. Is that any good? Wilderness as opposed to parkland? ... multi-day backpacking, streams, wildlife... staggering natural beauty?

Trying to choose between Penn State and U of Calgary, but that latter thread isn't going anywhere.

Diospyros

Hi everyone I'll most probably attend to PSU next year. I've been offered a stipend of $14625 plus 80% of health insurance. So after taxes and remaining health insurance cost will I be able to live a normal life with this money. I don't think it will differ much for next 5 years.

Thank you all.

Anybody move out to State College from the West Coast? I've been reading the conversations about diverse/not diverse, tolerable, intolerable and since, that's all a matter of comparison, I'm hoping someone with a similar scale to mine is out there.

I've been accepted into the anthro department with funding that blows everything else I've been offered out of the water. But they flew me out to visit, and in that time felt myself shriveling into husk. Maybe I just had bad luck... only there for two days... but the food was awful, the campus seemed dead, the landscape bleak, people bored.

Saving grace might be the hiking. Is that any good? Wilderness as opposed to parkland? ... multi-day backpacking, streams, wildlife... staggering natural beauty?

Trying to choose between Penn State and U of Calgary, but that latter thread isn't going anywhere.

Diospyros

Can't help you with a West Coast comparison, but I was a Boy Scout in State College for quite a few years, and there a a few nice hiking trails around. There are some state gamelands a couple miles from campus, with plenty of good day hikes (outside of hunting season). For longer trips, there are some sections of the Pennsylvania Mid-State trail not too far away, and some state parks within driving distance. I think Purple Lizard maps publishes a good map of some local trails if you're interested. Plenty of streams, though perhaps a bit lacking in staggering natural beauty and interesting wildlife (unless you count millions of deer and the occasional bear).

Your description of State College as "dead" is about right when the students are gone (summer, winter break). Otherwise, I think it's usually pretty lively, and there's plenty of fine food to be had. Then again, I grew up there, so take it with a grain of salt.

Diospyros

I grew up a few hours away from State College, and then moved out to the West Coast, so maybe I could help.

It is less diverse, racially, ethnically, culturally. It is less tolerant of non-traditional lifestyles. People have anti-abortion rallies, occasionally, and there was even a demonstration of people arguing that homosexuality is a sin. Central PA is also home to some neo-nazi extremists, too. State College is in the middle of nowhere. Sure, you can drive to other places (and being from CA, you will probably find the idea of driving two hours each way to get somewhere for a weekend less daunting), but in general, you will spend most of your time in the State College area. There is a large Greek presence, and State College is a party town for undergrads.

Having said that, it's not a terribly unpleasant place. If you like sports (and I have NEVER met a West Coast native who was a true sports fan--sure, some of them claim to like this team or that, and some even occasionally watch a game here or there, but none of them are true fans), State College is a great place to be. I went to Penn State footballs games as an undergrad, and I didn't even go to Penn State. Their swim team all gets tattoos of a lion footprint. I love that, because I really like sports.

It's not terribly diverse or tolerant, but it's also not overly intolerant. You won't really be hassled for any particular political belief (which is not always true in CA); people may say homophobic things but if you are gay, you aren't in physical danger, and if they find out you're gay after making a joke, they'll at least have the decency to be sheepish about it. When school is in session, there is a very active nightlife in town, and you will find a good selection of bars, restaurants, and other things. The college supports some more artistic and culturally diverse activities, if you want them. The food is not terrible and in general, the people are surprisingly friendly, once you get to know them (or if you see them during a football game).

Not too far from Penn State, you will find a lot of nature opportunities, hiking, kayaking, mountain biking. You will be close to the Poconos if you want to ski in the winter (personally, my favorite resort is Camelback; it's not super close, but you can drive there for a day easily). You can drive to the jersey shore for a week in the summer (or the beach in DE or Maryland) and almost everyone does, so you might even find people to share a house with.

Bottom line: after you graduate, get the hell out of State College, even if it's just to Pittsburgh or Philadelphia, but it's not that bad of a place to be in for the few years it'll take to get a degree.

Hey, thanks everyone who replied to my question about PA in reference to the West Coast. Looks like I will be headed to State College come fall. Gotta say, the department is throwing me for a loop about how friendly and incredibly helpful they're being. If everyone in Pennsylvania is as nice as the PSU anthro department I shouldn't have any trouble living there at all.

--Diospyros

I'm going to Penn State from Fall09. I'm looking for an apartment (1br or 2br) with my boyfriend who will be also attending the school. We are not planning to have a car there, so we're looking for someplace within 2-3 miles away from school where biking to school is still an option during summer. Since we live abroad, we have to find something on craigslist or something and decide without seeing it in person. Any recommendation which part of State College to look into? we would like to avoid areas that are too overcrowded by undergrads... is that impossible??

We are a little frightened by the idea of living in a college town. Some people told us to live in Bellefonte, but without a car, it seems impossible.

I'm going to Penn State from Fall09. I'm looking for an apartment (1br or 2br) with my boyfriend who will be also attending the school. We are not planning to have a car there, so we're looking for someplace within 2-3 miles away from school where biking to school is still an option during summer. Since we live abroad, we have to find something on craigslist or something and decide without seeing it in person. Any recommendation which part of State College to look into? we would like to avoid areas that are too overcrowded by undergrads... is that impossible??

We are a little frightened by the idea of living in a college town. Some people told us to live in Bellefonte, but without a car, it seems impossible.

My friend is a grad student there and she lives in Turtle Creek: http://www.toftreesapartments.com/. They have pretty nice two bedroom places and they are on a bus line that runs right to campus (and to a grocery). Her roommate has a bike and she bikes to campus, even during the colder months, so it is definitely doable to live there and not have much use for a car. There are also no undergrads there, and it's in the middle of a resort, so it's a nice place to live.

My friend is a grad student there and she lives in Turtle Creek: http://www.toftreesapartments.com/. They have pretty nice two bedroom places and they are on a bus line that runs right to campus (and to a grocery). Her roommate has a bike and she bikes to campus, even during the colder months, so it is definitely doable to live there and not have much use for a car. There are also no undergrads there, and it's in the middle of a resort, so it's a nice place to live.

I will again recommend talking to Falk Realty, especially for Colony Apartments - it is right downtown next to campus, and while it is in the same area as some undergrad apartment buildings Falk itself does not rent to undergrads - the building is pretty quiet.

Toftrees is very nice, but it is a little further out and pricey - as you noted it is on the local golf "resort".

Bellefonte is unmanagable without a car and difficult with one - just too far away.

• 3 months later...

well hey!

i'm headed to penn state in about... three weeks and my biggest question right now is, exactly how much would it suck to not have a car? my current 1995 lumina is kind of a piece and i'd rather not stress about it falling apart (that, and i don't know if it could handle the drive from minneapolis-st. paul)... was planning on a new one but now don't know if i can afford it (plus i realized how much more money i would have if i don't get one). i'm renting a place off vairo boulevard... i think it's about 1.5 miles from my department and on a bus line which is sweet... but in terms of getting around other places, do any of you familiar with the area think going no-car would be a totally awful choice? (i know one person already commented on this, just trying to get other opinions :) ) thanks!

Just jumping in for fun. State College is amazing. One of my best friends went there for undergrad and I made multiple trips to take in the scene. Arts Fest in the summer, SO MUCH FUN! As mentioned, great sports. Football is king there. I will also agree that Greek Life is a major staple of the social scene. If you're not an athlete, participating in the Greek Life from what I saw was the next best thing as far as living a "fulfilled" social life. Not to get side tracked, the PSU name has some weight to it also. All the alums I know from there are doing really well. I really liked the campus too. As another postee said, it's in the middle of nowhere. I would think you would be just fine without a car there. A bike/moped/campus bus system will get you to where you need. It's the epitome of a college town.

I think it might get a little boring there as a grad student. There isn't much for older students looking for a quieter social scene. That might be a blessing though allowing you to focus more on your studies/research.

well hey!

i'm headed to penn state in about... three weeks and my biggest question right now is, exactly how much would it suck to not have a car? my current 1995 lumina is kind of a piece and i'd rather not stress about it falling apart (that, and i don't know if it could handle the drive from minneapolis-st. paul)... was planning on a new one but now don't know if i can afford it (plus i realized how much more money i would have if i don't get one). i'm renting a place off vairo boulevard... i think it's about 1.5 miles from my department and on a bus line which is sweet... but in terms of getting around other places, do any of you familiar with the area think going no-car would be a totally awful choice? (i know one person already commented on this, just trying to get other opinions :) ) thanks!

• 6 months later...

I was wonderinf, for all those with State College experience, what about areas to live for a family? It is my wife and I and we have a three year old. What areas will keep us close to school, but away from undergrad areas? Any other information on family friendly things to do in the area? Thanks for any input.

I was wonderinf, for all those with State College experience, what about areas to live for a family? It is my wife and I and we have a three year old. What areas will keep us close to school, but away from undergrad areas? Any other information on family friendly things to do in the area? Thanks for any input.

Hi there,

Wow, there has certainly been some PSU-bashing on these posts lol. As a 2005 graduate (and tour guide) at Penn State first off let me say that there is no need to "fear" any bad areas or to be afraid of being stuck in a vacuum if you don't want to be.

Anyway, to your question, there are TONS of areas to live if you are a family. Basically campus is the "shape" of Central Park in NYC - a big rectangle taller than it is wide. If you live on the "south" side, then that is where a lot of of campus housing is for undergrad/grads - but as long as you live 4 or 5 blocks south of campus (or more), then you are in totally "family" areas with kids and students, and etc. If you live here, you can walk to a lot of stores, restaurants, etc downtown.

If you live to the "west" of the rectangle, then this is also where some graduate students or more "artsy/bohemian" type people may opt to live - it's more laid back farther away from campus across the main road (Atherton St.) and once again, many items are in walking distance.

Living to the "north" is more quiet and subdue, but there's not a lot to walk to up there since you are bounded by the arborteum, campus, Atherton Street, and more communities to the north - but this area connects to a lot of bike and walking trails and golf courses.

To the "east" (this is the one area that you would def need to bus it or take a car b/w campus and the housing areas" takes you closer to Nittany mall and Bellefonte areas - not too much directly by the campus but after a few miles you'll hit some established communities.

Hope this is helpful - feel free to send me a message if you need more info since I was at PSU from 2000-2005!

Cheers,

Mike

There is a good chance I'll be attending Penn State this fall. I was offered funding, with a stipend of $15,700. Would this be enough for rent and living expenses (I plan to live alone, without roommates, and have no dependents)? Also, I would really like to avoid housing popular with undergraduates.

Edited by BCEmory08

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For family housing, I would highly recommend the Park Forest area, located a few miles north of a campus to the west of North Atherton Street. (The Wegmans/Target shopping plaza is on the other side of N. Atherton Street.) I know some grad students who own/rent houses in Park Forest, but I would say about 90% of the Park Forest residents are families, including many professors. Some of the houses are older but still well maintained. There are sidewalks, parks with playsets, and access to the buses. (See the CATA A, N, and V bus routes.) You may also want to check out the College Heights neighborhood, which is directly north of campus and mostly zoned to keep out undergraduates. It is within easy walking distance to campus, and many professors and their families also live there. However, College Heights is definitely pricier than Park Forest.

Onto graduate student housing:

I am still looking for a place actually. Generally, I would recommend staying away from downtown apartment complexes. I would classify downtown as starting at College Ave. and going about 4 blocks south and between Atherton Street on the west and University Drive on the east. Also, many undergraduates rent houses west of Atherton Street on W. College and W. Beaver Ave, and it can get pretty noisy. There are some downtown apartment buildings that are strictly graduate/professional (Glennland Building, Regency Square), but they tend to be pricey for the quality due to location. I know that the apartments/townhouses along the R bus route south of campus (Waupelani Dr.) are popular among the grad students. I am also looking at apartments in Toftrees on the H bus route and more convenient to commuter parking at the stadium. Anyone want to be my roommate? Obviously, cost is my motivation. I would estimate $700-800 for a single apartment versus $450-550 for a two-bedroom.

I also want to address the issues of diversity/tolerance and the "middle of nowhere" location:

Statistically, State College is not an extremely diverse town, especially with regard to Hispanics and African Americans. Also, we have the "Willard Preacher" who stands outside of one of the on-campus classroom buildings as well as travelling preachers from time to time. That being said, I truly believe State College is an extremely tolerant town, and I do not think minorities should be concerned for their safety. There is a very active atheist/agnostic student organization, and I urge you to check out Webster's Cafe or Zeno's Pub while you are in town for an open-minded crowd. Several of my best friends who I met as an undergraduate are gay, and I do not think they ever felt threatened. However, you will find students from conservative, rural hometowns who will make a derogatory, gay joke. I usually say something to the effect that their comments are inappropriate and/or intolerant, and they become embarrassed and do not respond. Furthermore, most people in State College are just very nice and friendly. After spending a summer in Washington D.C. for an internship, I was very happy to return to State College where strangers are kind and willing to help with recommendations/directions.

Let's get two things cleared up about location and social culture. First, do not entertain grandiose ideas about travelling to NYC or DC for weekend getaways. Yes, it is possible by bus or by car. No, you will probably not do it more than once each semester. Instead, please please please check out the shows, musicals, plays, concerts, movies, famous speakers, and sporting events that occur all the freaking time at Penn State. Google: State Theater, Eisenhower Auditorium, Bryce Jordan Center. My favorite event last year was the Emanuel Ax, Itzhak Perlman, and Yo-Yo Ma concert. The only other venue where this trio performed? Carnegie Hall in NYC. My favorite event this year was hearing Maya Angelou speak...for free! Second, alcohol abounds. However, this is not necessarily a bad thing as decent live music and good cheap food usually accompany the alcohol. There are a multitude of bars that cater to different crowds. You will learn which ones have the laid-back, chill atmosphere where you can have intellectual (or not) conversations with fellow grad students. You will learn which ones are good for dancing. You will learn which ones have trivia where you are the stud because you actually know all of the answers. And, of course, you will learn which ones cater to the just turned 21-year-olds who like to hook up with each other - and I would hope you will avoid these ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey. Is anyone here International? I don't live in the US and I'm not sure how to rent off-campus housing from here not knowing whether I'll get the VISA or not. Is it possible to rent something out and pay later when it's confirmed that you're going to be leaving? Normally I'd wait until I get the VISA but I've heard that available housing in State College dwindles as the fall season approaches. I'm worried I'm gonna be left with some of the crappy, expensive ones. Does anybody here have similar concerns? I'd appreciate your insight. Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

Is anybody else having an impossible time of finding a place to live next year? There seems to be absolutely nothing left, unless you want to use half your stipend. Does anybody have any leads on available apartments?

• 3 weeks later...

Is anybody else having an impossible time of finding a place to live next year? There seems to be absolutely nothing left, unless you want to use half your stipend. Does anybody have any leads on available apartments?

I'm facing the same problem. I've been put on the waiting list for the on-campus housing for grad students. You can try craigslist though. There are still some vacancies.

I'm facing the same problem. I've been put on the waiting list for the on-campus housing for grad students. You can try craigslist though. There are still some vacancies.

I was actually able to find an apartment last week. There were no listings for it. I just stopped by their leasing office and was lucky enough to lease the final apartment they had left. Hope everybody else finds a good place for the fall!

• 7 months later...

So far, Penn State is the front runner among schools who have accepted me, but I'm very concerned about housing. I have a wife and two kids, and would really like a three bedroom place (although we could probably make a two bedroom work, in a pinch). People have said that there is housing for families, but forrent.com (the main site I'm using for comparisons among schools) has literally nothing in the area. Basically, what I'm asking is: how much should I expect to pay for a three bedroom apartment in the area?