State College, PA

Guest Ms. Geology

Hi all, 

I will be joining Penn State this fall as well for PhD in Plant Sciences. Any of you started looking at housing already? Can someone please give me an idea of what and how much to expect shelling out? I plan on living with roommates (I don't know anyone at Penn St., so even that needs to be sorted) in a place preferably somewhere near campus, since I do not own a vehicle, or intend to within the first year at least. 

Also, I might be shooting an arrow in the dark, but any Cornellians moving to the Happy Valley? I'm a Cornellian myself who has strong ties to Ithaca, so I would be planning to visit often, and company is always appreciated! Maybe this is asking for too much haha!

I'm imagining you'll meet more Cornell alums once you actually start and meet people in your program and in other grad programs :)

I don't live there yet; I've only visited a couple times.  But State College doesn't seem like a place I'd want to live without a car.  Seems like you can get to campus easily enough, but it seems a car would be especially important for grocery shopping.  I made a post about my experiences looking for apartments up thread a little (I decided to move to Toftrees Apts, which seems like it might be difficult to do without a car.  The CATA bus runs by but less frequently than it does in other places).  I've heard good things about the Allenway, which is a very short distance from campus and only rents to professionals and grad students.  There also seem to be a lot of options close to campus if you don't intend to bring a pet.

I think you can live quite cheaply if you want roommates.  When I was looking, the two-bedrooms didn't seem a whole lot more expensive than the one-bedrooms; they ranged from around $900 to around $1400 (for very fancy ones).  So I think you could probably pay anywhere from $450-700/month if you were living with just one other roommate, and probably less with two roommates.  And I think you'd only pay close to $700 if you were living in one of the really nice complexes.  I saw on Craigslist some people were already advertising for roommates to live with them in February, so I would imagine between now and the end of May there will be lots of ads for roommates to move in August.  I just decided that I really wanted to live alone (and I'm married, so when my husband visits I would prefer not having a roommate).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'll be going to Penn State in the fall, and I'm heading up to State College this week to look for a place to live.  (I know it's a bit late in the game, but this is the first chance I've had to get away).  Besides Toftrees, anyone have any recs?  I'm looking to hopefully spend less than $1000/ month for a 1- bedroom.  I'm not looking to live with roommates and I have a car, so while near campus is preferable, it doesn't have to be within walking distance.  Thanks!

My boyfriend and I just visited a bunch of apartments in State College if anyone needs help. We also decided on Toftrees.

Hey neighbor!  Or, kind of.  That apartment complex is huge.

Hi, I'll be going to Penn State in the fall, and I'm heading up to State College this week to look for a place to live.  (I know it's a bit late in the game, but this is the first chance I've had to get away).  Besides Toftrees, anyone have any recs?  I'm looking to hopefully spend less than $1000/ month for a 1- bedroom.  I'm not looking to live with roommates and I have a car, so while near campus is preferable, it doesn't have to be within walking distance.  Thanks!

Nittany Gardens, Vairo Village (owned by the same folks who manage Toftrees, but cheaper), The Allenway, University Terrace, Parkway Plaza (I think this one has a lot of undergrads).

You may also want to check out Craigslist.  Sometimes people are subletting.  http://pennstate.craigslist.org/search/apa?sale_date=-&bedrooms=1

• 7 months later...

Human development and Family Studies (HDFS). Good luck in your search.

Hi! I'm going to attend this program from 2015 Fall. I'm searching a place to rent now. I know the campus is huge but I don't drive. Any nice apartment close to the department you'd recommend? Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

If you don't drive and you want to live walking distance to campus, you're going to want to live downtown. Most downtown apartment buildings cater to, and are dominated by, undergraduates. For example, they often offer per-person rent and sometimes furnish their units with two twin beds in each bedroom. Sometimes they have amenities that sound awesome (fitness center, pool, hang-out rooms, pool tables, etc.) but they're going to be mostly overrun by undergrads who will throw parties.

The Allenway is an apartment building a lot of grad students and postdocs move into - it's walking distance to campus and close to all the downtown shops. A friend lived in there and it's nice. $750-850 for a studio, and $910-1005 for a one-bedroom, which I would say is about standard for State College and actually pretty good for downtown. (http://www.allenway.net/about_the_allenway/floor_plans_and_rates). By the time you come HDFS will be split across Henderson, BBH, and the new HHD building that's being built right now, which are all on the south edge of campus closest to downtown, so it'll be a short-ish walk. They don't allow pets, though!

The Apartment Store (http://statecollege.apartmentstore.com/pennsylvania) also has listings downtown. A couple people have said they have had bad experiences with them, but they kind of dominate the downtown market along with a few other realtors. I think some of their buildings are reserved for graduate students.

Another option is to live relatively close on a bus line. Both Nittany Gardens and Lion's Gate apartments are on Waupelauni Dr, which is served by I think 3 different bus routes. They go downtown but also to area grocery stores and shopping. I think that living there would be a bit more difficult without a car (honestly, I think living in State College in general would be difficult without a car), but it's an option. The rent is about the same as the Allenway, and those complexes are mostly lived in by postdocs and grad students. Toftrees also is served by a bus line that runs reliably and relatively frequently during the day; however, if you are going to live in Toftrees, I would opt for one of the complexes that's actually on Toftrees Avenue (most of them). The CATA buses that run along Toftrees Ave run far more frequently, and earlier and later, than the one bus that runs on Cricklewood Dr (which is where my Toftrees apartment complex is - doesn't bother me because I have a car, but it would be nice to rely on it if I knew I was going downtown to drink or something).

Vairo Village and Northbrook Greens are also on that route - Vairo Village is located in/close to a shopping center and is a bit cheaper than Toftrees, and just a short bus ride from the Wal-Mart. Park Forest apartments are also on that route, and Park Forest is walking distance from the Weis.

• 6 months later...

After searching I've noticed there is virtually nothing on this site about Penn State.

Does anybody go there? What's the campus/city/etc. like?

^ This last comment from a new thread was merged with this already existing thread on Penn State. 

Thanks, Fuzzylogician... I was just about to direct Puffer fish to this thread! University Park is the name of the campus (as opposed to the Hazleton or Harrisburg campuses). State College is the name of the town! If you search the site, I'm sure you will find some people attending PSU or looking to attend it.

Thanks, Fuzzylogician... I was just about to direct Puffer fish to this thread! University Park is the name of the campus (as opposed to the Hazleton or Harrisburg campuses). State College is the name of the town! If you search the site, I'm sure you will find some people attending PSU or looking to attend it.

^ This last comment from a new thread was merged with this already existing thread on Penn State. 

Oh dear, I'm so embarrassed. That explains why I couldn't find anything. I was thinking it was like College Park, Maryland.

Thanks for fixing my fail!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 9/16/2015, 1:49:55, piglet33 said:

Okay why did no one tell me how pretty state college is? As a farm girl in the UK - there's so much to do!!! (But I get that if you're a city person it might not be your cup of tea)

I was pleasantly surprised as well! I just got back from an interview/visit there. I thought that the housing seemed a little steep IMO, but the town seemed great. Awesome CATA transit system, beautiful campus, nice downtown area. I can absolutely see myself in State College for the next 4 years :)

• 1 month later...

I grew up in the area and I started at Penn State.  I started as a not great college student and finished elsewhere, but here are my thoughts on State College.

It is remotely located.  The surrounding towns aren't large and Philadelphia and Pittsburgh are a jaunt.  However, since this was fired up I-99 has been completed giving better North/South access through the area (My 5 hour drive home from NYC has been cut from 5 hours to 4).  State College does have a downtown with shopping, restaurants, bars, etc that are all within walking distance.  Since it is a large school with many draws there is diversity.  I've never felt uncomfortable, but always enjoyed my time on campus.

• 1 month later...

@MarkMc Do you have any wisdom you could impart? I've heard to visit the Creamery, live off-campus to avoid undergraduates, and be prepared for snow. What were some things you liked to go see or do in the area? Pennsylvania is the first place I will live that has official seasons, and it feels both very exciting and very daunting to be moving to someplace where I don't know anyone and don't have inside intel.

On 2/24/2016 at 0:20 PM, Cat_Robutt said:

@MarkMc Do you have any wisdom you could impart? 

Seconded- I have lived in the Northeast for my entire life, but State College feels new and different in ways I can't really describe. Maybe it's because it's so far from the nearest city? Unsure. I hope this thread gets active again before I move!

International student enrolling Fall 2016 here! Just wanted to confirm a few things: 

1. It seems as if housing for a single room will cost around 650-900 USD/month in State College from my quick search unless we find people to share a house with? Is that correct? (Ref: University housing, Toftrees apartment and Vairo Village Aparments)

2. A car seems necessary, and the average cost of car insurance would be around 130 USD/month

3. Food expenses will vary per person, but an estimate of 350 USD/month seems fair

Also, I have a few questions: 

1. How often/how much will I have to shovel snow in the winter? Everyday for three months? D: 

2. Anything an international student needs to be aware of prior to moving? Will I survive socially without knowing any football? 

Thanks a ton!

Cat, JLT, and Bat,

7 hours ago, OldBat said:

International student enrolling Fall 2016 here! Just wanted to confirm a few things: 

1. It seems as if housing for a single room will cost around 650-900 USD/month in State College from my quick search unless we find people to share a house with? Is that correct? (Ref: University housing, Toftrees apartment and Vairo Village Aparments)

2. A car seems necessary, and the average cost of car insurance would be around 130 USD/month

3. Food expenses will vary per person, but an estimate of 350 USD/month seems fair

Also, I have a few questions: 

1. How often/how much will I have to shovel snow in the winter? Everyday for three months? D: 

2. Anything an international student needs to be aware of prior to moving? Will I survive socially without knowing any football? 

Thanks a ton!

12 hours ago, jlt646 said:

Seconded- I have lived in the Northeast for my entire life, but State College feels new and different in ways I can't really describe. Maybe it's because it's so far from the nearest city? Unsure. I hope this thread gets active again before I move!

On 2/24/2016 at 0:20 PM, Cat_Robutt said:

@MarkMc Do you have any wisdom you could impart? I've heard to visit the Creamery, live off-campus to avoid undergraduates, and be prepared for snow. What were some things you liked to go see or do in the area? Pennsylvania is the first place I will live that has official seasons, and it feels both very exciting and very daunting to be moving to someplace where I don't know anyone and don't have inside intel.

The creamery seems to be the go to place to check out.  If you're into architecture the Schwab building was always one of my favorites.  I'm not opposed (contrary to most) to living on campus at Penn State.  The campus is huge and I don't think it hurts to be in the middle of it.  Because of the layout of the town it can be hard to find anything super convenient to where you're trying to go unless you're in university housing (in my opinion).  If you're off campus, so are undergraduates.  The frat houses are on the other side of College Ave so they're hiking back and forth.  There's no avoiding an undergraduate body that size. 

In terms of what you see for pricing - yes that seems about right for pricing.  I don't think a car is necessary, especially if you're on/close to campus.  However it you want to leave the SC/UP area - then yes - the only way out is a vehicle.  Most apartments and university housing will handle snow removal for you.  This season the area only got a couple of snowfalls (including one blizzard).  So if you're in a house you may have to shovel less than a half dozen times.  Socially everything will be fine.  Penn State  is a large, diverse campus with something for everyone. 

State College is kind of far from major cities, but there is an airport in State College (small, connects mostly through Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Dulles - I used to hop from here to Cincinnati to Chicago when I lived there).  However, think of State College as a very large college town.  Miles of college.  During the summer and break it can be a bit deserted. 

Oh - and don't forget to take your obligatory picture at the Nittany Lion statue.  It's a right of passage.  Let me know if you have other questions I can attempt to field.

@MarkMc thanks for your really helpful answers! The Nittany Lion statue is really cool; I took photos of it dusted with snow during my interview visit. :) It really is a beautiful area and seems quite walkable. 

@jlt646 A note about the airport.....as it is small, the planes that fly in/out are propellor planes. If you dislike intense turbulence, or small plane adventures, I would recommend driving to a different airport. Really; I'm usually fine on planes, roller coasters, etc. but that 50-minute ride to the Philadelphia airport was comparable to getting my wisdom teeth removed in terms of unpleasantness.

On 2016/2/26 at 9:29 PM, MarkMc said:

Cat, JLT, and Bat,

The creamery seems to be the go to place to check out.  If you're into architecture the Schwab building was always one of my favorites.  I'm not opposed (contrary to most) to living on campus at Penn State.  The campus is huge and I don't think it hurts to be in the middle of it.  Because of the layout of the town it can be hard to find anything super convenient to where you're trying to go unless you're in university housing (in my opinion).  If you're off campus, so are undergraduates.  The frat houses are on the other side of College Ave so they're hiking back and forth.  There's no avoiding an undergraduate body that size. 

In terms of what you see for pricing - yes that seems about right for pricing.  I don't think a car is necessary, especially if you're on/close to campus.  However it you want to leave the SC/UP area - then yes - the only way out is a vehicle.  Most apartments and university housing will handle snow removal for you.  This season the area only got a couple of snowfalls (including one blizzard).  So if you're in a house you may have to shovel less than a half dozen times.  Socially everything will be fine.  Penn State  is a large, diverse campus with something for everyone. 

State College is kind of far from major cities, but there is an airport in State College (small, connects mostly through Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Dulles - I used to hop from here to Cincinnati to Chicago when I lived there).  However, think of State College as a very large college town.  Miles of college.  During the summer and break it can be a bit deserted. 

Oh - and don't forget to take your obligatory picture at the Nittany Lion statue.  It's a right of passage.  Let me know if you have other questions I can attempt to field.

Ahh thanks so much for the response!

Regarding housing: I won't be able to be there in person until early August, which may be quite late for apartment hunting. Do you have any recommendations for apartments? I've looked at Toftrees and Vairo Village as well as the University apartments for grad students online, but it's hard to judge without being there in person or insider information (or I'm just a paranoid person when it comes to living conditions). I'm considering getting University housing for my first year (~850 USD/ month per room with shared bathroom and living space for 4), but some are saying that's too expensive? 

Do you live in an apartment or house? Have you seen the University apartments for grad students? What do you think?

I've lived with friends in an apartment for undergrad, and I was comfortable with sharing living space with people. I'll most likely get a car, so I won't be restricted by bus lines or distance. 

Any recommendation or comments are highly appreciated!!

@Cat_Robutt @MarkMc Thank you so much for these responses! I'm actually far better on tiny planes than on large ones- something about the size is comforting, because the massive ones are just too big to fly. Psyched to fly in for the admitted students weekend in mid-March. 

Unlike @OldBat, I am restricted by bus lines and distance. I don't drive, and while I may learn this year (30th birthday goals...), I don't want to rely on a not-yet-existent car. I have a cat, so university housing is out. Now that it's March, am I totally screwed for housing? I actually don't mind the noise of undergrads, because I'm coming from a city, but I'd rather not live between frat houses. Any advice? 

Im trying to find housing for June and it's been kind of hard since leases are typucally aug to aug. 

Any suggestions on finding summer housing from out of state? I have a dog so that would have to be taken into account. 

Also, is it typically hard to find soneone to rent to a first time renter even though i have verifiable income in the form of my offer letter?

@CatRobutt: 

A note about the airport.....as it is small, the planes that fly in/out are propellor planes. If you dislike intense turbulence, or small plane adventures, I would recommend driving to a different airport. Really; I'm usually fine on planes, roller coasters, etc. but that 50-minute ride to the Philadelphia airport was comparable to getting my wisdom teeth removed in terms of unpleasantness.

Not all of them are propeller planes; I've taken connecting flights out of State College on small regional jets with no propellers. They didn't feel much different from a connecting flight anywhere else. There is a mix, though. However, do note that Phildelphia and Pittsburgh are both 3 hours away and New York is 4 hours away - I would much rather take a connecting flight from State College than add a 3-4-hour drive to my trip. Not to mention that there are only a few buses that go to Pittsburgh and New York every day (and only one that goes to Philly), so you'd have to schedule your travel very carefully and may have to add a couple additional hours of killing time at the airport unless you were prepared to drive and pay for parking at one of those airports. (Harrisburg is about 1.5 hours away, but you'd still have the issue with connecting flights).

@OldBat: I lived in Toftrees when I live there. Very nice apartments, and they are located on the bus line that goes directly to campus and downtown as well as shopping. The ride from Toftrees to campus on the bus was about 30 minutes (could get longer in bad weather or if the buses were delayed). $850 a month for a 4-bedroom sounds seriously overpriced. I lived by myself in a 1-bedroom in Toftrees (which is above-average for State College in price, I think) and paid $925 a month for it. You could easily share a two-bedroom apartment with one other person for like $500 a month in State College. And the town is so small that I don't really see much of a difference between university housing and non-university housing unless you really want to be able to walk to class.

@jlt646 The best places to live away from campus but still on a bus line are in the apartments along Waupelani Drive. Examples are the Amitie condos (you can often rent one from someone looking to sublet), Nittany Gardens, Lion's Gate, Briarwood, etc. I believe that some of these are also walking distance to at least one grocery store, which may be useful for grocery shopping. Toftrees and Vairo Village are also on the bus lines, but those buses come less often and there are fewer lines that go that way. Those bus lines also go to grocery stores but they're a bit more removed and may be inconvenient for regular weekly shopping. You might also want to look for some of the units in downtown State College, where you would be walking distance to campus AND to some grocery stores and definitely close to a bus line. But you very well might live next to a frat house (or just noisy undergrads) and housing downtown is far harder to get, especially if you start looking in March. Much of the best housing in State College is rented out by January.

@rhombusbombusTry looking at sublets on CL. State College is such a university town that getting a lease off the regular academic year is difficult, so you're going to want to sublet/rent a room from somebody on CL who's kind of desperate or maybe moving away early. I'd also check out some of the apartment complexes frequented by professionals in the area because they are more likely to rent at different types of year. For example when I inquired about housing in Toftrees in February, they had availability from April on. So if you are interested in June I'd start poking around there. Briarwood, Nittany Gardens, and Lion's Gate are two other complexes to check out. (You should know, though, that Nittany Gardens has a 30-lb weight limit on dogs. I think Lion's Gate might be a 50-lb limit but I don't remember.)

I'm not sure on the first-time renter thing - some places might want a guarantor, but this is a college town. They have lots of first-time renters. If you have good credit and verifiable income you should okay.

@juilletmercredi Thank you so much for all of this info! Everything will feel a little less abstract once I visit, but for now this is helping my narrow down my research (with the aid of Google Maps, of course).