State College, PA

Guest Ms. Geology

On March 14, 2017 at 4:45 PM, hantoo said:

Hey Everyone,

I just finished undergrad at Penn State and know State College extremely well, and had friends that lived all over the area, and I myself lived downtown 2 out of my 4 years there. If any of you have specific questions about anywhere you're considering checking out or just about what PSU life is like in general, feel free to ask on here or message me!

Just as a general comment: most of the graduate students I am friends with at Penn State live farther off campus and have a car, or just take the bus in during the week. The farther off campus you go, the nicer the apartment, generally speaking. To be honest, I would suggest that you avoid living right down town near campus, as that is where all of the undergraduate students live, and Beaver Ave. and College Ave. tend to be fairly crazy places most nights of the week, and are basically insane on weekends (i.e. if you are not interested in hearing people screaming all night Thurs.-Sun. in your building and in the streets and finding half-eaten slices of pizza and other gross things in your stairwells and hallways, avoid the close to campus living options).

The absolute nicest off campus living area in my experience is The Retreat, but it's also more expensive than other options--the apartments there resemble town houses, most allow pets, you'll likely get your own room, there's a pool, little backyards, and things that you just would not otherwise have closer to campus. Park Forest is also a really nice area with townhouse-like apartments.

Another apartment option that is slightly closer and likely more affordable would be University Terrace. It's pretty far east from campus, but if you don't mind the walk it's not terrible, and you can certainly take a bus if you need to. A lot of undergraduates live out there, but I think it's at least slightly more tame than living in the middle of downtown. There are lots of houses on West College Ave., and if you can find a solid group of roommates to live with, that could be a decent option too. White Course Apartments is Penn State's "graduate and family housing" option, but I don't know much about it and never went there.

This is a lot of great info, thank you! Do you have any knowledge/comments on Lion's Gate or Vairo Village? I've also been in contact with some people from ARPM but I see that they have a lot of not so hot reviews online. 

2 hours ago, scarvesandcardigans said:

This is a lot of great info, thank you! Do you have any knowledge/comments on Lion's Gate or Vairo Village? I've also been in contact with some people from ARPM but I see that they have a lot of not so hot reviews online. 

You're welcome! Unfortunately I don't know too much about Lion's Gate and I don't think I have any friends who live/have lived there. I can say that Vairo Village, from what I've heard from students who lived there, is pretty nice, and it is certainly a pretty popular place to live for graduate students or people who just want to live farther away from campus and the chaos of downtown. It's accessible via the Cata bus service as well if you don't have a car/would prefer not to drive every day.

The apartment I lived in for 2 years was originally managed by the Apartment Store but transferred to management under ARPM halfway through my first year living there. I was not a big fan of ARPM because I felt the previous property managers were much nicer and MUCH more prompt when it came to maintenance issues. However, ARPM was certainly not terrible, and I actually lived next door to their main office in Beaver Terrace, so when I really needed something I just walked over and asked and they would handle it very quickly. Also, they have a more convenient process of handling security deposits, etc., which can make things much easier if you have roommates and/or if your roommates change year to year.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm attending PSU starting in the Fall, and am in the process of looking for housing. I would like to live with a roommate to offset costs, but haven't really found many posts of people looking for roommates. When I moved into my current apartment (in Boston, MA), there were tons of posts of people looking for roommates to fill spots in existing situations, but that doesn't really seem to be the case in State College. Does anybody have any experience or advice for finding roommates? It seems like some realtors/property managers will match you up with roommates -- is that correct? Thanks in advance!

Hey @othersamantha! There's a FB group for PSU housing that's actually pretty active, as well as a Free & For Sale group- both require PSU email validation to join, so they are populated only by students and community-members. Craigslist is also a really good option- it's used widely here, and is less sketchy than it can be in larger urban areas. Of course, use your best judgment, be careful, bring a friend to check places out (all the same apartment hunting tips as always apply), but lots of people post on CL looking to fill houses. Yes, it's true that some realtors and property managers will assist with roommate matching, but it's not usually about personality matching- mostly it's just about two people who need housing. Your mileage with that route may vary- if you have few needs when it comes to a living space, and require little of a potential housemate, it might work out well for you, but if you are particular about keeping the house clean, and hope that your roommate shares that trait, or some other similar kind of thing, use caution. Your department may know of students in the department or surrounding departments who are looking for housing, and could hook you up with contact information- that varies by department, for sure. Some are closer than others. Finally, the off-campus housing website through student affairs on the Penn State website has some listings- it's not great, but it's there, and worth looking through. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Hi friends! My partner has decided to move to State College in the fall and I am sticking my feelers out there for any potential leads for jobs. I can talk more privately about his skills but essentially he has multiple years of experience in home repair and construction, primarily, among other things. He's also looking to enroll again in school so anything part time or with flexible hours as well. Maybe not the best place to look but I'm putting it out there just in case. If anyone has any info please let me know! 

Hello all, I am starting my doctorate at PSU in the fall. My husband and I bought a townhouse 10 mins drive from campus on CATA bus route. The only trick is, he has to stay in Philly this year while finishing his MBA. So, I am looking for a roommate/roommates from the end of Aug. through the end of next Aug. I will be at the house during the week, but in Philly on weekends. Currently, I'm thinking rent will be $500-$550 per bedroom (I am planning to rent out at least 1 and maybe 2 of the 3 bedrooms). If you or anyone you know are interested, please PM me. Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Hi! I just got accepted into the ecology program and am planning on accepting.

I've started reading back through this thread to get ideas on where to look for housing. Does anyone know how reliable Craig's list is in the area? Some places I've lived it has been a great resource to find housing, others it has all been scams. Also, does anyone have experience with busing onto campus? I'll have a car, but I'd rather not drive in bad weather in the winter. 

On 3/2/2018 at 11:40 AM, Halek said:

Hi! I just got accepted into the ecology program and am planning on accepting.

I've started reading back through this thread to get ideas on where to look for housing. Does anyone know how reliable Craig's list is in the area? Some places I've lived it has been a great resource to find housing, others it has all been scams. Also, does anyone have experience with busing onto campus? I'll have a car, but I'd rather not drive in bad weather in the winter. 

I looked a little bit on craigslist, but (at least in my experience) a lot of it was people looking to sublet. I know that the State College website has its own listing service with a lot of apartment info from around town. If you want, PM me and I'll see if there's anything that I've looked into that might fit what you're looking for! (Note: I worked in real estate and just went through a search for my next apartment in State College so all of the information is pretty fresh :blink:

About the buses, if you live outside of a 3/4 mile radius from one of the downtown bus stops, then you can get a discount pass from the university for $15/mo. The PSU ridepass webpage has a widget that determines if any address qualifies for the discount. Otherwise it's pretty expensive, like $80/mo. or $2 per ride (one way) if you don't have a pass. There are two campus shuttle services (Loop and Link) that are free for students to use to get around campus, but they don't go much outside of the campus area. Most times that I've ridden on the CATA, it has been fairly empty. There is an app that you can use to track its whereabouts, and the few times that I used it, it was fairly reliable. Hope that helps! 

• 4 weeks later...

I am a current student at Penn State in the chemistry PhD program. I currently live in Toftrees and love it. There's quite a few housing groups in that part of town, so don't just look at the "Toftrees Apartments." As for the bus system, it is pretty reliable. A ton of people use it for bad weather days.

Yesss! I already signed a lease for a place in The View apartments over on Toftrees. I'll have to get used to having roommates but it's really nice. The bus stops right out front the main 'club house'. You get a free bus pass, there's a gym, free coffee house, study lounge with free printing, and lots of other ammenities. You get your own room and bathroom which is cool. I put on my roommate matching sheet that I would prefer to live with other grad students (who don't mind cats, of course, because I'll be bringing my babies). The rent includes all utilities including wifi and there's a washer and dryer in unit. Pretty good set up in my opinion.

Just signed over my life to Vairo Village! Comparably cheap studio apartment I can afford with my stipend. Included parking, bus pass, gym, outdoor pool, and pets are allowed (personal requirement). Just passed the Arboretum, about 3 miles out of campus. I'm PUMPED. 

I'm probably heading to PSU this Fall. Can someone help me out? I have a couple of questions.

I do have a fellowship from the university that takes care of tuition and pays me a stipend but that being said, how expensive is State College in general? As a single PhD student (probably getting a car), how much am I likely to be spending annually, excluding rent? If I run out of money, I'm properly messed up as an international student with zero fallback :mellow:

Secondly, has anyone here stayed at Executive House Apartments? The place seemed nice from the pictures. Apparently, it's located on Waupelani Drive and I have no idea how the neighbourhood is. It was one of the few places that didn't ask for a US Social security number to rent. 

Finally, my girlfriend lives up in Albany, some 5 hours away. That's a long drive that I'm willing to make if the roads are pliable. Realistically, how often does the weather get bad enough that driving becomes an issue? 

Cheers! See you all this Fall in any case :)

Edited by atomintheuniverse

20 hours ago, atomintheuniverse said:

I'm probably heading to PSU this Fall. Can someone help me out? I have a couple of questions.

I do have a fellowship from the university that takes care of tuition and pays me a stipend but that being said, how expensive is State College in general? As a single PhD student (probably getting a car), how much am I likely to be spending annually, excluding rent? If I run out of money, I'm properly messed up as an international student with zero fallback :mellow:

Secondly, has anyone here stayed at Executive House Apartments? The place seemed nice from the pictures. Apparently, it's located on Waupelani Drive and I have no idea how the neighbourhood is. It was one of the few places that didn't ask for a US Social security number to rent. 

Finally, my girlfriend lives up in Albany, some 5 hours away. That's a long drive that I'm willing to make if the roads are pliable. Realistically, how often does the weather get bad enough that driving becomes an issue? 

Cheers! See you all this Fall in any case :)

Last I check with Executive House they said they only have a 2 BR apartment remaining.

4 hours ago, dataseis said:

Last I check with Executive House they said they only have a 2 BR apartment remaining.

I managed to get a decent lease there for 950$ a month excluding electricity. I was just wondering if anyone has been there before considering that all I had to go with were pictures 

4 hours ago, dataseis said:

Incoming grad student here in geosciences here! 

May I know what are you guys' stipend like? I'll start, mine is roughly 26k / year.

Education here! I was offered 30k a year as stipend money. Hopefully that should be enough for a decent, ramen-fuelled lifestyle, heh

22 minutes ago, atomintheuniverse said:

Education here! I was offered 30k a year as stipend money. Hopefully that should be enough for a decent, ramen-fuelled lifestyle, heh

Cough *show-off* cough ahem.  :-P

I went for $800 at park forest apartments.

On 4/16/2018 at 8:56 AM, atomintheuniverse said:

I managed to get a decent lease there for 950$ a month excluding electricity. I was just wondering if anyone has been there before considering that all I had to go with were pictures 

Executive House is nice. Someone in my program lives there, and I've visited a number of times. The living space is pretty large and well laid-out. The person that I know has a deluxe (larger) 1BR and he has a large couch, chair, large television and coffee table in one part, and his L-shaped desk and bookshelf in another. The kitchen space is enough room for a dining table. The kitchen in his unit is somewhat outdated, as is the bathroom. Old tiling, older cabinets, etc, but the appliances seem new and they work well. There is a balcony and sliding door which is also a bonus. The hallways can be a little confusing to navigate and some of the stairwells are narrow, so keep that in mind when moving furniture in. There are elevators as well. It seems to be pretty quiet and is mostly rented by graduate and professionals, and all of the apartments on Waupelani are similar, so it's not a high-noise area. The CATA bus comes often and seems to be reliable. You can get a RidePass for $15/mo for unlimited rides based on the distance that Executive House is located from campus. It's a nice place for sure, electric is reasonable since it's only plugins (~$25 average/mo). You should be more than able to live comfortably with your lease and $30k.

12 hours ago, scarvesandcardigans said:

Executive House is nice. Someone in my program lives there, and I've visited a number of times. The living space is pretty large and well laid-out. The person that I know has a deluxe (larger) 1BR and he has a large couch, chair, large television and coffee table in one part, and his L-shaped desk and bookshelf in another. The kitchen space is enough room for a dining table. The kitchen in his unit is somewhat outdated, as is the bathroom. Old tiling, older cabinets, etc, but the appliances seem new and they work well. There is a balcony and sliding door which is also a bonus. The hallways can be a little confusing to navigate and some of the stairwells are narrow, so keep that in mind when moving furniture in. There are elevators as well. It seems to be pretty quiet and is mostly rented by graduate and professionals, and all of the apartments on Waupelani are similar, so it's not a high-noise area. The CATA bus comes often and seems to be reliable. You can get a RidePass for $15/mo for unlimited rides based on the distance that Executive House is located from campus. It's a nice place for sure, electric is reasonable since it's only plugins (~$25 average/mo). You should be more than able to live comfortably with your lease and $30k.

That's a major relief. Quiet and slightly outdated is the tagline of my life, so this seems to be perfect.
Thanks for the detailed response :)

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know whether there are streetball/soccer/football/tennis/whatever outdoor courts open for everybody and free? I'm from abroad and don't know how that usually works in the US...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/2/2018 at 6:02 PM, Mark_ said:

Does anybody know whether there are streetball/soccer/football/tennis/whatever outdoor courts open for everybody and free? I'm from abroad and don't know how that usually works in the US...

I am a PSU alum and live nearby.

There are tennis courts near East Halls. They are free and usable on a first come first serve basis.

The soccer fields are up towards the stadium. I dont particularly know how that works (i never played there before) but it also looks like it is free on a first come first serve basis. They can get busy though. 

A lot of people play pickup ball on the hub and old main lawns

On 2/5/2019 at 9:26 PM, LuxAeterna01 said:

I’m told the bus systems there are awesome. 

But is it drive-able? 

Also just, how is living in the area? 

The bus system is fairly reliable. I use the local app and if you track where the bus actually is and use the bus regularly enough, you can adapt to the routine (I only say this because you might just hear that the bus system is terrible). The free shuttles from the commuter parking, I have heard, tend to be very packed, which has resulted in some of my classmates being late to seminars because many people are trying to get to campus. If you live far enough from campus, as a student or employee, you can get a discounted all-route bus pass ($15/mo.), which I have, and it has been great. 

I personally don't think that State College is the most drivable place in the world, but it's not bad. The "downtown" grid has many one-way streets, so you'd have to learn those pretty quickly. If you live close enough, I recommend taking the bus or walking. There are downtown parking decks that you can pay for per day that are closer to campus (or per month, but this can be pricy), but if you plan to commute or drive to campus, you will likely have to park near the Bryce Jordan Center and take the free shuttle in. If you're a postdoc or staff or faculty member, you might be able to get an on-campus pass, BUT I have heard that it's very expensive. If you are going to get groceries or run errands, I have never had a major issue with driving. I prefer Wegmans and all of the stores in that area for major grocery/home shopping, so once you are out that way, the traffic clears up a lot. If you live in a town like Boalsburg or Bellefonte, there are buses that will take you into State College that, for the most part, seem pretty reliable. 

The only time I would say that State College is NOT good for driving around is home football game weekends. Downtown fills up very quickly, and really in general, for a small town, it gets very congested, especially when the weather is still really good. I've heard that during the football game is the best time to go grocery shopping, though... 

There are many construction projects going on near Atherton close to campus, which can be difficult to navigate, and I say this because the same projects will probably be there after the summer and into the fall, too. Construction projects seem to never end here. Really, if you can avoid Atherton St. close to campus at ALL, I suggest it. The road is not in great shape and work on it has been going since I arrived (2 years ago). 

I like the downtown area for its local places, like Webster's (used books, good food, records), Appalachian Outdoors, and various restaurants. There are some chain staples like Starbucks, Panera, and even a new Amazon pickup location, but the local places are usually really good to at least try out. There are many options for groceries (Wegmans, multiple Weis locations, Giant, McLanahan's), there are major stores like Walmart, Target, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc. I personally like that there are a lot of local outdoor activities that you can do. Rothrock State Forest is close, and it has a lot of trails and places to check out. The surrounding towns like Bellefonte, Boalsburg and Lemont are nice for half-day or day explorations (Café Lemont all the way!). There are a few gyms, yoga studios, music shops, and other (not food) locations downtown. My favorite day to go into downtown is Sunday, when the downtown parking is free. It seems to be the least crowded day of the week (depending on the university events). 

It's a nice place to live overall, as long as you are aware when there might be high traffic times or how to avoid certain congested areas. If you venture out of town you will find the more interesting local spots. There are buses that can take you to Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, NYC, DC, that don't usually cost that much, which makes State College a very centrally-located place to live. Also, gorgeous in the fall!