Guest Ms. Geology

State College, PA

12 hours ago, scarvesandcardigans said:

Executive House is nice. Someone in my program lives there, and I've visited a number of times. The living space is pretty large and well laid-out. The person that I know has a deluxe (larger) 1BR and he has a large couch, chair, large television and coffee table in one part, and his L-shaped desk and bookshelf in another. The kitchen space is enough room for a dining table. The kitchen in his unit is somewhat outdated, as is the bathroom. Old tiling, older cabinets, etc, but the appliances seem new and they work well. There is a balcony and sliding door which is also a bonus. The hallways can be a little confusing to navigate and some of the stairwells are narrow, so keep that in mind when moving furniture in. There are elevators as well. It seems to be pretty quiet and is mostly rented by graduate and professionals, and all of the apartments on Waupelani are similar, so it's not a high-noise area. The CATA bus comes often and seems to be reliable. You can get a RidePass for $15/mo for unlimited rides based on the distance that Executive House is located from campus. It's a nice place for sure, electric is reasonable since it's only plugins (~$25 average/mo). You should be more than able to live comfortably with your lease and $30k.

That's a major relief. Quiet and slightly outdated is the tagline of my life, so this seems to be perfect.
Thanks for the detailed response :)

Does anybody know whether there are streetball/soccer/football/tennis/whatever outdoor courts open for everybody and free? I'm from abroad and don't know how that usually works in the US...

I'm visiting next week to lock in an apartment! Hopefully they aren't all taken :( Regardless, I'm getting excited for the fall!

On 5/12/2018 at 1:31 AM, IncomingPhD2017 said:

I'm visiting next week to lock in an apartment! Hopefully they aren't all taken :( Regardless, I'm getting excited for the fall!

I I have an apartment lease for next year Fall 2019-Spring 2020 across the street from Penn State campus

https://pennstate.craigslist.org/apa/d/fall-2019-to-spring/6689322808.html 

LEASE FALL 2019-SPRING 2020

Hi Everyone,  I have a lease for an apartment from Fall 2019 - Spring 2020 that's across the street from Penn State's campus.

Details and picture in link:

https://pennstate.craigslist.org/apa/d/fall-2019-to-spring/6689322808.html 

Building: The Metropolitan Building 

LEASE for FALL 2019-SPRING 2020

YOU CAN SPLIT THE RENT with your roommate for $1300 each. 
TOTAL RENT: $ 2600 (water and sewage included in rent)

- FULLY FURNISHED APT; 40 inch smart samsung TV included

- on 8th floor with great view
- 1 room; 2 Full beds; 1 bathroom
- Free Wifi and cable
- Washer and dryer in unit
- Free printing in building
- 1 year lease from August 2019

On 5/2/2018 at 6:02 PM, Mark_ said:

Does anybody know whether there are streetball/soccer/football/tennis/whatever outdoor courts open for everybody and free? I'm from abroad and don't know how that usually works in the US...

I am a PSU alum and live nearby.

There are tennis courts near East Halls. They are free and usable on a first come first serve basis.

The soccer fields are up towards the stadium. I dont particularly know how that works (i never played there before) but it also looks like it is free on a first come first serve basis. They can get busy though. 

A lot of people play pickup ball on the hub and old main lawns

On 2/5/2019 at 9:26 PM, LuxAeterna01 said:

I’m told the bus systems there are awesome. 

But is it drive-able? 

Also just, how is living in the area? 

The bus system is fairly reliable. I use the local app and if you track where the bus actually is and use the bus regularly enough, you can adapt to the routine (I only say this because you might just hear that the bus system is terrible). The free shuttles from the commuter parking, I have heard, tend to be very packed, which has resulted in some of my classmates being late to seminars because many people are trying to get to campus. If you live far enough from campus, as a student or employee, you can get a discounted all-route bus pass ($15/mo.), which I have, and it has been great. 

I personally don't think that State College is the most drivable place in the world, but it's not bad. The "downtown" grid has many one-way streets, so you'd have to learn those pretty quickly. If you live close enough, I recommend taking the bus or walking. There are downtown parking decks that you can pay for per day that are closer to campus (or per month, but this can be pricy), but if you plan to commute or drive to campus, you will likely have to park near the Bryce Jordan Center and take the free shuttle in. If you're a postdoc or staff or faculty member, you might be able to get an on-campus pass, BUT I have heard that it's very expensive. If you are going to get groceries or run errands, I have never had a major issue with driving. I prefer Wegmans and all of the stores in that area for major grocery/home shopping, so once you are out that way, the traffic clears up a lot. If you live in a town like Boalsburg or Bellefonte, there are buses that will take you into State College that, for the most part, seem pretty reliable. 

The only time I would say that State College is NOT good for driving around is home football game weekends. Downtown fills up very quickly, and really in general, for a small town, it gets very congested, especially when the weather is still really good. I've heard that during the football game is the best time to go grocery shopping, though... 

There are many construction projects going on near Atherton close to campus, which can be difficult to navigate, and I say this because the same projects will probably be there after the summer and into the fall, too. Construction projects seem to never end here. Really, if you can avoid Atherton St. close to campus at ALL, I suggest it. The road is not in great shape and work on it has been going since I arrived (2 years ago). 

I like the downtown area for its local places, like Webster's (used books, good food, records), Appalachian Outdoors, and various restaurants. There are some chain staples like Starbucks, Panera, and even a new Amazon pickup location, but the local places are usually really good to at least try out. There are many options for groceries (Wegmans, multiple Weis locations, Giant, McLanahan's), there are major stores like Walmart, Target, Dick's Sporting Goods, etc. I personally like that there are a lot of local outdoor activities that you can do. Rothrock State Forest is close, and it has a lot of trails and places to check out. The surrounding towns like Bellefonte, Boalsburg and Lemont are nice for half-day or day explorations (Café Lemont all the way!). There are a few gyms, yoga studios, music shops, and other (not food) locations downtown. My favorite day to go into downtown is Sunday, when the downtown parking is free. It seems to be the least crowded day of the week (depending on the university events). 

It's a nice place to live overall, as long as you are aware when there might be high traffic times or how to avoid certain congested areas. If you venture out of town you will find the more interesting local spots. There are buses that can take you to Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, NYC, DC, that don't usually cost that much, which makes State College a very centrally-located place to live. Also, gorgeous in the fall! 

Thinking about doing my masters at Penn State. I'm moving from NYC and am nervous there won't be much to do around me. I know parts of PA are super rural and I'm nervous I'll have difficulty entertaining myself for the next two years. What is it like??

Does anyone have suggestions for housing?  I'm looking for a 2BR house to rent.  I'm moving to town with my wife so we've had to rule out a good number of options because of the "rent-by-room" policy that some places have.

On 3/26/2019 at 2:52 PM, jmaginary said:

Does anyone have suggestions for housing?  I'm looking for a 2BR house to rent.  I'm moving to town with my wife so we've had to rule out a good number of options because of the "rent-by-room" policy that some places have.

Avoid the area directly south east of downtown, this is where the frat houses are so it's quite a bit louder. I live on Westerly Parkway and I've seen some houses for rent over in this area, but that could be the "by room" situation that you mentioned. Overall, the area by the high school is nice and quite. I walk in, another member of my cohort bikes in, and several take the bus. So depending on how you like to commute you can make anything work at this distance. 

On 3/26/2019 at 2:52 PM, jmaginary said:

You can also check out the Park Forest area. It's a nice residential area with some newer townhome complexes right by Best Buy, Walmart, Panera, etc.