NDSEG fellowship

BG7

Evil!!! I still haven't got an email response from them.... I can't believe they forgot to notify people. Does it only seem to be us in OE?

I was geosciences. Sigh. What letter does your last name start with? Mine's R. Just brainstorming. It's ridiculous that they forgot to notify people! Argh. And then they doll out these generic rejection emails like it was nothing. Almost like they were prepared for it. B*tches.

• 2 weeks later...

In previous years they have sent official alternate notifications. I asked in an earlier post if anyone had received an alternate designation, but no response yet.

I think maybe we are alternates, although crimsonengineer87 made a good point that perhaps a funding agency or two has been late to declare their awards.

I received an alternate selection letter on 5/6. This was really surprising considering I received a rejection letter on 4/18. I think it may be the case that a number of people who received both NSF and NDSEG fellowships, and as of this year can no longer accept both, are declining the NDSEG fellowship in favor of the NSF which gives more flexibility for deferrals. Hopefully more alternate selections will roll out to those who were thought to have been previously rejected.

• 3 weeks later...

After one is awarded NDSEG, what happens? Are there any NDSEG events to attend? How often do you send reports of your work to DOD? What exactly happens? If you feel comfortable, please share your experiences.

Edited by mechengr2000

I just now (5/25) received an alternate selection letter after getting a rejection letter on the first day of results. Way late, since I accepted the NSF more than a month ago. I'm now having to go through kind of a hassle to rescind my acceptance of the NSF GRF so I can accept the NDSEG. It's still the superior fellowship financially, so worth it to me, but I wish they would have at least told me I was on the waitlist a while ago so I could be more prepared (and maybe not have declared NSF tenure).

What happens at the end of the three years? Does the school match the stipend that NDSEG was paying, or will it be different?

School's rarely continue to match the stipend that your fellowship provided -- in fact, I've never heard of that. After I used my three years of NSF funding, I went back on a Research Assistantship stipend through the school (which was significantly less - about $10,000 less a year).