NDSEG fellowship

BG7

I did get the GRFP, but I am still hoping to get NDSEG - not only is it still an honor to be awarded both (even if you can only accept one), the NDSEG is full tuition and a higher stipend.

If you've already been awarded NSF GRFP, then you don't have to worry about tuition, even it is more than the 10,500 cost of education from GRFP. This is from the NSF program solicitation website http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2010/nsf10604/nsf10604.htm :

"The cost-of-education allowance to the institution is currently $10,500 per tenure year and is to be used by the institution toward the costs of educating the Fellow during that time period. During tenure, the institution is required to exempt Fellows from paying tuition and fees normally charged to students of similar academic standing, unless such charges are optional or are refundable (i.e., the institution is responsible for tuition and required fees in excess of the cost of education allowance). "

I totally agree that it would be an honor to win both, but it really is hard to compare them based on the stipend alone. Sure the NDSEG stipend is greater by a couple thousand dollars. But as an NSF fellow, you can apply for additional funded opportunities in both industry and research abroad. Congrats on winning the NSF GRFP!

And good luck to everyone waiting on NDSEG.:)

Edited by husky

If you've already been awarded NSF GRFP, then you don't have to worry about tuition, even it is more than the 10,500 cost of education from GRFP. This is from the NSF program solicitation website http://www.nsf.gov/p...93/nsf08593.htm :

"The cost of education allowance currently is $10,500 per tenure year and is to be used by the affiliated institution to cover the costs of educating the Fellow. The affiliated institution is responsible for tuition and required fees in excess of the cost of education allowance."

I totally agree that it would be an honor to win both, but it really is hard to compare them based on the stipend alone. Sure the NDSEG stipend is greater by a couple thousand dollars. But as an NSF fellow, you can apply for additional funded opportunities in both industry and research abroad. Congrats on winning the NSF GRFP!

And good luck to everyone waiting on NDSEG.:)

Thank you!

Yeah, I had a professor tell me (falsely, I only recently realized) that if you got only a cost-of-tuition scholarship that you still had to work as an RA to make up the difference. Didn't affect me so much as it affected my ex, who almost turned down the NSF on this information (long story involving the loss of his advisor) until he learned that he wouldn't need to be an RA (and informed me as such as well). If I somehow managed to get the NDSEG, it would indeed be a tossup between the two, but given my field of research/career path, it may make more philosophical sense to go with an NDSEG. However, not getting my hopes up (:

Thank you!

Yeah, I had a professor tell me (falsely, I only recently realized) that if you got only a cost-of-tuition scholarship that you still had to work as an RA to make up the difference. Didn't affect me so much as it affected my ex, who almost turned down the NSF on this information (long story involving the loss of his advisor) until he learned that he wouldn't need to be an RA (and informed me as such as well). If I somehow managed to get the NDSEG, it would indeed be a tossup between the two, but given my field of research/career path, it may make more philosophical sense to go with an NDSEG. However, not getting my hopes up (:

I was told this as well but by the department administrator. Luckily, a professor had already offered me a full RA so this was not a problem. But shouldn't my advisor not be required to pay for the remaining tuition that GRFP doesn't cover?

Edited by balbert

I am just going to say it.. C'mon Man! Take the NSF and let the rest of us have a chance at the NDSEG. They will both boost your resume equally and stipends are pretty much the same. Just sayin :)

Thank you!

I was told this as well but by the department administrator. Luckily, a professor had already offered me a full RA so this was not a problem. But shouldn't my advisor not be required to pay for the remaining tuition that GRFP doesn't cover?

See, that's what I wasn't sure about - I'm pretty sure now that the SCHOOL has to cover it and not the professor, but I am not 100% positive (and neither does my advisor seem to be).

@nichol9 Haha, was waiting for that =P IF I get both (again, not likely, I'm not a superstar grad student), I'll probably end up with the NSF depending on whether or not I can defer my second year of funding from my school. If I can't, I'll take NSF because I can put NSF on reserve for a year. If I can, I'd probably go with NDSEG.

I did get the GRFP, but I am still hoping to get NDSEG - not only is it still an honor to be awarded both (even if you can only accept one), the NDSEG is full tuition and a higher stipend.

Actually, you can accept both. The way it works is you use the NDSEG for the first 3 years while using the two reserve years of the NSF and forfeiting the the third year of the NSF, Then you use the remaining 2 years of the NSF so it works out to 5 years of funding.

Actually, you can accept both. The way it works is you use the NDSEG for the first 3 years while using the two reserve years of the NSF and forfeiting the the third year of the NSF, Then you use the remaining 2 years of the NSF so it works out to 5 years of funding.

This is incorrect. From http://www.nsfgrfp.o...r_2011_nsf_grfp:

"Starting in 2011, the GRFP fellowship cannot be accepted concurrently with another Federal fellowship. In other words, it will not be possible to accept both the GRFP and another Federal fellowship (such as NDSEG), then put the GRFP on reserve for two years and while you receive the other Federal fellowship funding.

Please note that this guideline does not include traineeships (such as IGERT or GK-12) or research assistantships."

Hi all, I've been stalking the forums for months, but finally felt obliged to speak up about the relative merits of the NDSEG vs the GRFP.

Because of the rule changes for 2011 (including no international schools, which I'm still bitter about), you can't use the GRFP with another federal fellowship, as Hendersa noted above. This includes concurrent funding from NOAA, NASA, DoE, DoD, etc. However, you could finish your GRFP tenure in the first three years instead of broken up, then apply for a doctoral or one-year fellowship, such as NASA GRF. The GRFP does include supercomputer access and and formalized support for study in Nordic research institutions. It offers $30k plus $10.5k to the school. I think as a bonus there is some money for conferences, but I'm not finding that right now, so it could be my imagination.

The NDSEG does not have limits on concurrent funding, however, it generally requires the first three years to be on their fellowship and it must be the paying organization for your tuition and stipend, so the net result is about the same as for the GRFP (you apply to other fellowships when your tenure finishes). The only advantage in this regard is if you are offered another fellowship with no concurrent funding restrictions, so you could increase your stipend. NDSEG offers formalized research opportunities with various DoD branches, including supercomputing opportunities, but not international programs. It offers slightly greater than $30k ($3000 more over tenure) than the GRFP, and up to ~$50k per year to the host institution. If, like most schools yours requires that the adviser pays for your tuition, this means your adviser saves up to $120k over the GRFP, freeing up funds for you to do things like conferences, international study or fieldwork, and buy equipment or analysis services. As a bonus, you get $1000/yr towards health care, which the GRFP does not give.

So the net out is as follows:

The NDSEG is the financially superior scholarship, especially if your school makes you pay for health care. Teaching during your tenure is permitted but doesn't provide any additional financial benefit. The GRFP is more desirable if you need tenure flexibility to use school/non-major fellowships or want to break up your research with some funded teaching experience like GK-12 prior to your fourth year. If you are particularly interested in the NSF Nordic research opportunities, having everything laid out and organized for you may make the GRFP more desirable. Both fellowships have similar acceptance rates and prestige within the US.

As a bonus, you get $1000/yr towards health care, which the GRFP does not give.

Oh, I didn't even realize that! My university requires health insurance through them (yay Massachusetts ): ) Another major plus.

got the answering machine....they said " for panel evaluations please call 301-965-5167" that number just rings. called ndseg back and got a person. she said they expect to send out all award notifications tomorrow, however they have not recieved the list from the dod yet (and could be as late as early next week). she said, however they do expect the list soon and can call back as early as later today.....

got the answering machine....they said " for panel evaluations please call 301-965-5167" that number just rings. called ndseg back and got a person. she said they expect to send out all award notifications tomorrow, however they have not recieved the list from the dod yet (and could be as late as early next week). she said, however they do expect the list soon and can call back as early as later today.....

Call back as in release notifications??

that is what she hinted at.....i figure if they have the list they can tell you over the phone.

oh snap! let us know if she calls you back (or do you have to call HER back?)!

It'd be interesting if they told you your results today by phone, but if not, you can honestly wait one more day. I mean, we've already been waiting almost 5 months, what is 1 more day? Threads like these are torture for your patience. There's nothing worse than constantly talking about something you are eagerly waiting for yet have no control over. Yet here I am...

Best of luck everyone! =]

I figure that if I didn't get the NSF fellowship, I won't get the NDSEG fellowship either since it's supposedly more prestigious (according to several of my professors). I don't know what the acceptance rate is for my field (mathematics) though...

Is there any indication of whether we'll hear early morning, late afternoon, or what?

I just called and was told that we would "definitely be notified before close of business tomorrow". As to what time you will get your award/rejection mail during the day, I don't know. It will be before 5 PM East Coast time, though.

I also apologized for making the same call that she has probably gotten 500 times today, and she was very good-natured about it. I think those poor folks probably are used to it.