Ottawa, Ontario

cndngrl21

I will be studying at Carleton, so I need to look for housing... Is there a good place to look for housing? Is kijiji the best option? Also, what are the best places to find jobs in ottawa? Is it doable if you are not bilingual in French?

• 2 weeks later...

I've been living in Ottawa since September, and as someone who ended up in the worst possible living situation (crackhead neighbors, police raids, surrounded by construction all year). Hopefully I can help some of you avoid this...

-Use padmapper to look for places, it's awesome :)

-If you're worried about noise, check city notices for construction before signing on somewhere. They are replacing underground piping through a lot of the city, and just doing 1 block can take months. Extremely loud, you don't want to be stuck with this if you plan to get any work done from home, or sleeping in later than 7am. For the past while, Bronson Ave. has been the worst, though that should be done by Sept.

-If you are worried about safety, sketchy areas (that I know of) are Rideau Street (though streets off Rideau are generally fine), Bronson just north of Somerset, parts of King Edward, and Vanier. Be aware that there are several homeless shelters near the market and close to uOttawa. If this would make you uncomfortable, ask the landlord how close the place is to them. A friend of mine booked a place site unseen and ended up right next to one, some girls leaving his house were attacked and robbed. 

Best places to live (my advice is probably more useful for uOttawa students, I think most Carleton students live in the Glebe, or along the number 4 bus line or otrain):

-Golden triangle (Elgin area to the Canal)

-Sandy Hill- Nice homes, some streets are full of party-loving undergrads though. great for walking to campus, not great for walking for groceries (closest metro on Rideau).

-Just north of the Byward Market (avoid the noise of the market, stay close to everything, though you would probably have to walk to campus from this area)

Some of my friends moved to Gatineau or far from the city centre to save on rent, all of them regretted it and wished they'd lived closer. If you're not on the transitway, buses might only be every 15-20 minutes, and stop running at random times (between 10pm-1am). Anywhere on the transitway is generally a safe bet, and you never have to wait long for a bus.

Also, some places in ottawa have had bed bug issues. Google the address + bed bugs and see if anything comes up. I think there is a registry where people report them.

I didn't work outside my RA and TA jobs, so can't help with the job stuff, though it is generally harder if you aren't bilingual here.

Hope this helps! 

• 1 year later...

Looks like I'll be headed to Carleton this September. All this info has been great, just wondering if any leases come up in July/August? I don't want to be on the hook for 4 months of rent to catch the May leases (I'm paying rent right now where I live)

:)

I will be attending Carleton this Fall. My plan is to purchase something in the city and I hope to find a room mate or two. I figure rent would be cheaper for the room mates and this would bring my costs down as well. Moreover, this should improve the quality of the location. Living on site, I imagine that I will bring a pride of ownership that is difficult to find in a rental property. I will not be purchasing in the Glebe or Old Ottawa (near campus) due to prices. Median housing is somewhere around $800,000 in these areas. I am, however, looking within a 10-15 minute drive, near transit, and about a 20-30 minute bus ride. My hope is to only rent to grad students. Hopefully this will bring maturity and collegiality to the house. If anyone is interested, I will keep an eye on this forum. I will not be purchasing until late June or mid July. I still have to complete my MA thesis and sell my house where I currently live. 

Throughout the process of investigating Ottawa, I have compared rental prices, listing prices, transit options, walk scores, and amenities in many of the city's areas. The following are some of my findings:

• Glebe, Old Ottawa South (West half—nearer Carleton campus), Sandy Hills, and Byward have many rental properties. Glebe and Old Ottawa South (West half—nearer Carleton campus) are close to Carleton. Sandy Hills and Byward are close to U of O. The properties in these areas range from apartment to duplex to shared accomodations. Rent is slightly higher than areas other than City Centre. 
  • City Centre is close to lots of action, but professionals drive these prices up. The area is near Parliament, tons of amenities, and U of O.
  • Glebe and Old Ottawa South are close to campus BUT, depending on where your department is on campus, may still be a 30+ minute walk. You may have to bus it to campus. This can be a little circuitous, resulting in a 10-15 minute bus ride. 
  • If your department is on the Southern tip of campus (nearer Hog's Back), you may wish to look in the Fisher Heights, Rideau View, Confederation Heights, Mooney's Bay areas. 
  • Fisher Heights will have more housing options (including rentals). For those with pets, this will get you a back yard. You will want to confirm that pets are allowed though. Some owners will not want the potential damage from pets.
  • There are two large condos in the Rideauview area that appear to be popular as a Carleton rental. 
  • Confederation Heights does not appear to have many rentals. Its proximity to campus and the O-train seem quite nice, should you be able to find something in the area. 
  • Mooney's Bay has a couple of condos and apartments for rent. This area also seems to have townhouses and some shared accommodation. Properties in the area are about a 30 minute walk to campus and are somewhat close to the O-train (3 minute ride to campus). I have not visited, but this area looks really nice and is close to the beaches of Mooney's Bay!

Three other areas to consider: Billings Bridge, Alta Vista, and Hunt Club.

• Billings Bridge is just South of Old Ottawa South. It is very close to a transit hub so it will have quick access to Carleton (and I assume U of O) campus. It is also very close to every amenity you could want, with Walk Scores of 90-100.
  • Alta Vista is just East of Billings Bridge. It has many buses heading into the Billings Bridge transit stop so busing is 20-30 minutes depending on how far East you go. Rent becomes much nicer and properties look nicer than the Glebe and Old Ottawa South areas. Lower rent, nicer accommodation, but you have to sacrifice proximity to campus. Ultimately this sacrifice may only be 5-15 minutes transit time each direction. 
  • Hunt Club is a short (10-15 minute) drive to campus, but it is close to an O-train stop (6 minute ride to campus). There appear to be some very good buses to the O-train stop. There are also lots of Townhouses and a few apartments to rent or purchase in the area. The area looks nice and is located in the Southern part of the city. It is also close to shopping and Mooney's Bay. One downfall is that the airport is located just below the South-Eastern tip of the Hunt Club area. For some parts of the area this should not be an issue. For some parts, there may be some noise. I am only speculating though. You may have to investigate further.

Two final notes.

• A friend who lived in Ottawa several years ago told me that there is a bus that runs between Carleton and U of O designed for grad students that need to get back and forth. This should open up other parts of the city for the couple attending both schools as proximity to one campus grants a short ride to the other campus. I have not looked into this further, but a visit to the OC Transpo webpage may yield a response. 
  • With all of this talk about locations with access to transit, I should point out that student fees at both schools include a U-pass which grants unlimited free riding on all of the city's transits (bus and O-train).

If you are bilingual, you may want to consider Gatineau (particularly the Hull area). Due to the already lengthy post I will not go into length about advantages and disadvantages to the area. If you are interested, however, you should definitely investigate this option. I know I have.

Good luck to everyone with the move and their academic path that lay before them. Peace!

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

I'm moving across the province to Ottawa in September. Does anyone have advice on the best time of year to be looking for a place? I've started looking but haven't seen a whole lot of Sept. 1st start dates. Also, any Ottawa specific tools I should be using other than the usual padmapper and Kijiji?

• 2 years later...

Hi, I'm going to Carleton Univeristy in Ottawa in the Fall, and I'm having trouble finding a place to live since the conditions of the campus doesn't satisfy me. Plus, I have read that the big majority of the students live off-campus. I will be a full-time graduate student, by the way.

I have tried kijiji.ca but I didn't receive a response for a couple of messages I sent, and Places4Students doesn't seem to offer much.

• 10 months later...

I recently accepted an offer of admission to The University of Ottawa’s MEd program in Counselling Psychology.

Im really excited to move to Ottawa, but was a little shocked to see how expensive the housing is around the university. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to find affordable but safe and decently nice housing in downtown Ottawa? Or, if anyone is in the same boat as me, and is a female graduate student in any program looking for a roommate in Ottawa, personal message me to see if we would possibly be a good fit to room together as to make the cost of living a bit more affordable :)

Congrats on the acceptance, and welcome!

Depending on how you feel about distance, I highly recommend Hull (Downtown Gatineau) as an option. It's close by bike/bus, and only like 45mins by foot (depending on area). It's got a bad reputation, but that's actually quite outdated and currently it's safer than much of Ottawa.

If that's too far for you, the byward market area is noisy/crowded and has some unsafe characters afoot, but the huge police presence more or less balances it out. 

• 1 month later...

Congrats on your acceptance!

Just to hop in as housing can be overwhelming at first, there's a lot of good resources out there to help you find an affordable place to live. The website I used to find a place was rentals.ca which I believe has listings for a lot of cities besides Ottawa. It was convenient because unlike kijiji etc. they have a map view that lets you see the locations of places immediately so you can find somewhere that's commutable to campus. Rental websites in general also have less scams which is important to be careful of. 

Good luck with your search and with finding a roommate as well! 

Just to hop in on the housing discussion, a great website that I used to find my place was rentals.ca. Unlike kijiji etc. which can be kind of unreliable and prone to scams, this website lets you look at listings on their map view so you can immediately find ones that are a decent commute to campus (which is important). You can also set your price range and the number of bedrooms/bathrooms you're looking for. I wouldn't really recommend purchasing a place in Ottawa unless you think you're going to live there for a very substantial length of time, it's much cheaper to rent a place.

Hope this helps! 

• 6 months later...
On 2011-04-11 at 10:04 AM, trevaskis said:

How feasible is it to take trips to Toronto/Montreal? Google maps gives me the impression they are five hour and two and a half hour drives away.

It's very doable. There are buses that you can take or VIA Rail trains.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It seems like I won't be able to find an apartment, a bachelor or a studio in either Gatineau or Ottawa for less than 1000$ (furnished). Did anyone here live in the uOttawa residences? Are they worth the hype? 

Edited by Adelaide9216

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/27/2018 at 9:59 AM, Adelaide9216 said:

Anyone here moving in the Gatineau/Ottawa region in Canada for Fall 2019?

I am!  I will be attending Carleton for my MSW starting in Fall 2019....I've applied to residence but won't know about that until June...are you attending Ottawa U?  I really have no idea where to live!

8 minutes ago, Laurabeth79 said:

I am!  I will be attending Carleton for my MSW starting in Fall 2019....I've applied to residence but won't know about that until June...are you attending Ottawa U?  I really have no idea where to live!

I am moving in the area at the end of the summer! I don't live there yet. I also don't know where to live.

24 minutes ago, Adelaide9216 said:

I am moving in the area at the end of the summer! I don't live there yet. I also don't know where to live.

Me too! I'm hoping to arrive end of August/start of September from the west coast.  I did my first undergrad there MANY years ago (graduated in 2001 from UOttawa) and lived in Sandy Hill.  It was a fun place to live but lots of partying undergrads (of which I was one haha), so that's really the only area off campus I have limited knowledge of.  Plus it was a long time ago!  It was close to downtown which was great, and easy for transit.  I have no idea where to even begin to look for Carleton!  Perhaps we could keep in touch and if we hear of some decent areas/apartments we could pass them on to each other?

Hi! Ottawa native here. There are a few neighbourhoods in Ottawa near both universities that are great and there are others to be avoided. The vast majority of Ottawa is safe and accessible by public transportation and by bike in the the spring/summer/fall. Though there has been A LOT of changes recently to city transportation due to the LRT expansion, which has been a pain but hopefully it will come to an end soon. I am going to list all the neighbourhoods I think are the best and the worst/not ideal below and give a quick pro/con to all of them. 

Best neighbourhoods for UOttawa:

Sandy Hill- Known student area that is close to downtown and very close to campus. This neighbourhood is best if you want to be able to walk to everything you need rather than bussing anywhere. There are a few dive bars with a lot of charm in this area which are student watering holes and a great place to meet people.

Centertown/Golden Triangle- This is the neighbourhood directly across from the university on the other side of the canal. It is filled with heritage homes and newer developments making an awesome place to find a unique apartment. It is close to Elgin st which has a ton of bars and restaurants, and is one of the hubs for Ottawa nightlife. Though I will say that Elgin st will be closed for the next year to replace water mains, so that might be a possible source of inconvenience, but I think the location is worth it and all of the local businesses in the area are still open during construction and need all the help they can get!

Downtown/Byward Market-  This neighbourhood teeters in between being a neighbourhood that I would recommend and one I would not. Reason being, the Byward Market is super close to Uottawa and is in the heart of downtown and close to the action. In my opinion, it might be too close to the action, as it can be loud and the crime rate is slightly higher than the rest of the city, but that is to be expected from the downtown core. Also, most of the condos downtown are very expensive which is a drawback for me, especially when there are some many cooler places in other close neighbourhoods. 

Neighbourhoods to avoid/are not ideal:

Vanier/Overbrook- These two neighbourhoods which sit right next to each other if you are looking at a map of Ottawa, have a reputation for elevated crime rates and run down homes. Vanier has become the next project for the City who is investing $50m into revitalizing the neighbourhood, so I think in the next 10-15 years this place might be a good place to look at, but currently, I would not recommend.

Orleans- I have seen many people argue that Orleans is 20-30 minutes drive from Downtown, and that might be true for driving during non-rush hour. But if you are driving during rush hour or if you are taking the bus at any time of day you are looking at an hour plus commute, which isn't great.

Kanata- Kanata has a similar problem to Orleans. In theory, it is 20-30 minute drive to downtown. In reality, you are so far away from downtown that public transport will take forever, and if you are caught in rush hour, good luck. Ottawa traffic can be awful, especially on the 417, so it's best to live closer to campus to avoid the hassle. 

Moving on to Carleton neighbourhoods!

Best neighbourhoods for Carleton:

The Glebe-The Glebe is one of the better known neighbourhoods in Ottawa. It has many local restaurants, bars, and small businesses which are all great and it is home to Landsdowne/TD Place where you can go to concerts/music festivals, or go see a football, hockey, or soccer game. The rent will be more expensive in some parts of the Glebe due to this neighbourhood being an upper-middle class neighbourhood. Also with this upper-middle class status sometimes the locals can get a little pretentious. Recently, there was an uproar over a McDonalds wanting to open a new location in the Glebe ? Barring that, the Glebe is a gorgeous area with turn of the century homes and lots of parks. Though, I will note that the closer you get to Bronson, the more student friendly the prices become because it is closer to Carleton. But, this part of the Glebe is further away from the local businesses which are mostly on Bank st.

Old Ottawa South-This neighbourhood is an ideal place for students who want to be close to campus but also be close to things to do. Old Ottawa South is very close to Landsdowne and has a ton of local businesses that are unique. Also, this area is ideal because it is connected to the main bus routes the 6 and 7 run all the way downtown. The 7 will be your bus of choice as it is a direct line via bank st from Carleton to Rideau. The rent is slightly elevated (though not as bad as some in the Glebe) so you are paying a slight premium, but you can still find good places to rent for good prices.

Little Italy/Chinatown- This is a great place to live if you love to eat. There is a ton of different restaurants of different flavours and it is located close to the O-train line which makes it a convenient spot. Also, this neighbourhood is really close to LeBreton Flats where Bluesfest is held every year in July. The lineup has already been announced for 2019 so I would check that out if you are in Ottawa by then. Unfortunately, the O-train is being shutdown in 2020 for construction so there will be changes to transportation which will impact your commute, but there will be accommodations made by the city to make sure that there isn't too much of an impact. Though, I have heard terrible things about the student apartment buildings in this area, LIV is one of them, so I would be very hesitant to rent from those places. Also there is a bunch of new construction occurring close to Dow's Lake so I would look at places away from that area if you don't like the sounds of constant construction.

Hintonburg- Hintonburg is a hipster haven, filled with artisan shops and cool hangout spots. It is close to Little Italy, so you can still access all of the good eats but pay slightly cheaper rent. Again, Hintonburg will suffer slightly from the O-train construction but it won't be anything terrible. 

Meadowlands/Experimental Farm Area- This is another area that I am on the fence about. Firstly, it is on the other side of Carleton on the other side of the Canal which makes it harder to access downtown in a convenient way. Also these areas are largely residential (or open fields) so there is not a whole lot to do. There is also rougher spots in these neighbourhoods, which can be avoided by renting in other locations.

South Keys/Greenboro- Again, this is another in between neighbourhood. It is very close to public transit, big shopping malls, and typically you get more bang for your buck in terms of renting. However, it is pretty far from Ottawa nightlife and is a solid 30 minute bus ride to downtown if the bus is on time and not in traffic. Also, as previously mentioned, the O-train is going to be temporarily unavailable for a year in 2020 which makes this area even more inaccessible as this was a direct line from this neighbourhood to Carleton. But please be aware, just like Meadowlands/Experimental Farm area, there are rough patches in this neighbourhood so please be careful when renting a place and do your research!

Mechanicsville- Mechanicsville is definitely a neighbourhood in transition. it used to have a bad reputation but it has been gentrified over the past decade which is improving its reputation. However, it is super close to Hintonburg which has more things to do, so if I had to choose, I would choose Hintonburg over Mechanicsville.

Westboro- Westboro is also close to Hintonburg area but I think it is a little too far from campus unless you have a car or a stomach for long OC Transpo communtes. Also, this is where some of the rich people live so the rent might be elevated in some places. Otherwise, there is great boutiques and higher end restaurants to enjoy. 

Ditto for Orleans and Kanata

I hope this list helped! And welcome to Ottawa :)

Edited by LuminousOcean

6 hours ago, LuminousOcean said:

Hi! Ottawa native here. There are a few neighbourhoods in Ottawa near both universities that are great and there are others to be avoided. The vast majority of Ottawa is safe and accessible by public transportation and by bike in the the spring/summer/fall. Though there has been A LOT of changes recently to city transportation due to the LRT expansion, which has been a pain but hopefully it will come to an end soon. I am going to list all the neighbourhoods I think are the best and the worst/not ideal below and give a quick pro/con to all of them. 

Best neighbourhoods for UOttawa:

Sandy Hill- Known student area that is close to downtown and very close to campus. This neighbourhood is best if you want to be able to walk to everything you need rather than bussing anywhere. There are a few dive bars with a lot of charm in this area which are student watering holes and a great place to meet people.

Centertown/Golden Triangle- This is the neighbourhood directly across from the university on the other side of the canal. It is filled with heritage homes and newer developments making an awesome place to find a unique apartment. It is close to Elgin st which has a ton of bars and restaurants, and is one of the hubs for Ottawa nightlife. Though I will say that Elgin st will be closed for the next year to replace water mains, so that might be a possible source of inconvenience, but I think the location is worth it and all of the local businesses in the area are still open during construction and need all the help they can get!

Downtown/Byward Market-  This neighbourhood teeters in between being a neighbourhood that I would recommend and one I would not. Reason being, the Byward Market is super close to Uottawa and is in the heart of downtown and close to the action. In my opinion, it might be too close to the action, as it can be loud and the crime rate is slightly higher than the rest of the city, but that is to be expected from the downtown core. Also, most of the condos downtown are very expensive which is a drawback for me, especially when there are some many cooler places in other close neighbourhoods. 

Vanier/Overbrook- These two neighbourhoods which sit right next to each other if you are looking at a map of Ottawa, have a reputation for elevated crime rates and run down homes. Vanier has become the next project for the City who is investing $50m into revitalizing the neighbourhood, so I think in the next 10-15 years this place might be a good place to look at, but currently, I would not recommend.

Orleans- I have seen many people argue that Orleans is 20-30 minutes drive from Downtown, and that might be true for driving during non-rush hour. But if you are driving during rush hour or if you are taking the bus at any time of day you are looking at an hour plus commute, which isn't great.

Kanata- Kanata has a similar problem to Orleans. In theory, it is 20-30 minute drive to downtown. In reality, you are so far away from downtown that public transport will take forever, and if you are caught in rush hour, good luck. Ottawa traffic can be awful, especially on the 417, so it's best to live closer to campus to avoid the hassle. 

Moving on to Carleton neighbourhoods!

Best neighbourhoods for Carleton:

The Glebe-The Glebe is one of the better known neighbourhoods in Ottawa. It has many local restaurants, bars, and small businesses which are all great and it is home to Landsdowne/TD Place where you can go to concerts/music festivals, or go see a football, hockey, or soccer game. The rent will be more expensive in some parts of the Glebe due to this neighbourhood being an upper-middle class neighbourhood. Also with this upper-middle class status sometimes the locals can get a little pretentious. Recently, there was an uproar over a McDonalds wanting to open a new location in the Glebe ? Barring that, the Glebe is a gorgeous area with turn of the century homes and lots of parks. Though, I will note that the closer you get to Bronson, the more student friendly the prices become because it is closer to Carleton. But, this part of the Glebe is further away from the local businesses which are mostly on Bank st.

Old Ottawa South-This neighbourhood is an ideal place for students who want to be close to campus but also be close to things to do. Old Ottawa South is very close to Landsdowne and has a ton of local businesses that are unique. Also, this area is ideal because it is connected to the main bus routes the 6 and 7 run all the way downtown. The 7 will be your bus of choice as it is a direct line via bank st from Carleton to Rideau. The rent is slightly elevated (though not as bad as some in the Glebe) so you are paying a slight premium, but you can still find good places to rent for good prices.

Little Italy/Chinatown- This is a great place to live if you love to eat. There is a ton of different restaurants of different flavours and it is located close to the O-train line which makes it a convenient spot. Also, this neighbourhood is really close to LeBreton Flats where Bluesfest is held every year in July. The lineup has already been announced for 2019 so I would check that out if you are in Ottawa by then. Unfortunately, the O-train is being shutdown in 2020 for construction so there will be changes to transportation which will impact your commute, but there will be accommodations made by the city to make sure that there isn't too much of an impact. Though, I have heard terrible things about the student apartment buildings in this area, LIV is one of them, so I would be very hesitant to rent from those places. Also there is a bunch of new construction occurring close to Dow's Lake so I would look at places away from that area if you don't like the sounds of constant construction.

Hintonburg- Hintonburg is a hipster haven, filled with artisan shops and cool hangout spots. It is close to Little Italy, so you can still access all of the good eats but pay slightly cheaper rent. Again, Hintonburg will suffer slightly from the O-train construction but it won't be anything terrible. 

Meadowlands/Experimental Farm Area- This is another area that I am on the fence about. Firstly, it is on the other side of Carleton on the other side of the Canal which makes it harder to access downtown in a convenient way. Also these areas are largely residential (or open fields) so there is not a whole lot to do. There is also rougher spots in these neighbourhoods, which can be avoided by renting in other locations.

South Keys/Greenboro- Again, this is another in between neighbourhood. It is very close to public transit, big shopping malls, and typically you get more bang for your buck in terms of renting. However, it is pretty far from Ottawa nightlife and is a solid 30 minute bus ride to downtown if the bus is on time and not in traffic. Also, as previously mentioned, the O-train is going to be temporarily unavailable for a year in 2020 which makes this area even more inaccessible as this was a direct line from this neighbourhood to Carleton. But please be aware, just like Meadowlands/Experimental Farm area, there are rough patches in this neighbourhood so please be careful when renting a place and do your research!

Mechanicsville- Mechanicsville is definitely a neighbourhood in transition. it used to have a bad reputation but it has been gentrified over the past decade which is improving its reputation. However, it is super close to Hintonburg which has more things to do, so if I had to choose, I would choose Hintonburg over Mechanicsville.

Westboro- Westboro is also close to Hintonburg area but I think it is a little too far from campus unless you have a car or a stomach for long OC Transpo communtes. Also, this is where some of the rich people live so the rent might be elevated in some places. Otherwise, there is great boutiques and higher end restaurants to enjoy. 

Ditto for Orleans and Kanata

I hope this list helped! And welcome to Ottawa :)

Holy this was amazing!  I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to put this all together!  Super helpful and gives me so much information for the best places to be looking for housing. If I have any other questions, I might shoot you a message if that's cool?  Thanks again....looking forward to getting to know Ottawa! :)

39 minutes ago, Laurabeth79 said:

Holy this was amazing!  I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to put this all together!  Super helpful and gives me so much information for the best places to be looking for housing. If I have any other questions, I might shoot you a message if that's cool?  Thanks again....looking forward to getting to know Ottawa! :)

It was no problem! I have gotten a lot of amazing advice from this forum in the past so I thought I would pay it forward. And feel free to message me if you have any questions!

17 hours ago, LuminousOcean said:

It was no problem! I have gotten a lot of amazing advice from this forum in the past so I thought I would pay it forward. And feel free to message me if you have any questions!

Thank you again so much...greatly appreciated!  And I am very appreciative of being able to message you....it's a little daunting moving back to Ottawa (I did my undergrad at Ottawa U about 17 years ago) after all these years, and I have no clue about anything around Carleton.  Many thanks again! :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...