eReaders

eat.climb.love

I have the same question.

I actually visited an apple store to check out ipads. I dont like the fact that it reflects light back (glare). Even in the store, I need to find a perfect angle to be able to read from it comfortably.

Oldwolf heard correctly that PDF files (especially multi-column, non-traditional ones) perform woefully on the current crop of e-readers (The DX might be the exception as the bigger screen will probably allow you to view PDFs at full-size, removing the need to reflow or zoom). Also keep in mind that refresh rates have come a long way, but they're still quite slow compared to LCDs.

As for the iPad glare, I didn't find it to be a particularly big issue. In fact, as far as I am aware, the iPad is generally noted for having one of the better screens (none of which are anywhere near as good as e-ink), which might spell doom for tablets as far as you're concerned.

Edited by Gooner

I got a Kindle 3 w/ 3G for Valentine's Day and I LOVE it!! The screen quality is fantastic and MUCH better than reading on a normal computer screen. It's definitely better for books than articles, but I've had decent luck with converting PDF articles so far. Occasionally tables, figures, legends, and citations get a little messed up but usually still decipherable. I probably won't use it as my only copy of important articles, but as a second super portable one or just to skim papers/ keep up with the lit. Also, you can send all kinds of personal documents (.doc, .docx, etc) to it which can be really useful. As someone else mentioned, it would be great for reviewing notes if you type them anyway.

I had a very long trip for an interview right after getting my Kindle and it was great to be able to review interviewers' papers, my SOP, my thesis, etc. Much easier than carrying and shuffling through a huge folder of stuff.

So, in summary, I would say that it's fantastic for books and articles that are mostly text. Not as good but workable for more technical stuff (figures, equations, tables). If that's what you read most, it might be worth investing in an iPad or something. But if you mainly do text, go for the Kindle. I plan on mainly using it for pleasure reading (which I've been able to squeeze in way more of since I had it) and we'll see how much I integrate it into my grad studies. Also, random note- the Kindle is 10000000x easier to read in bed than a book, which is usually the only time I have to read for fun!

I know this is slightly off topic but I think it's super useful. For anyone that is going the mac route, either with macbook or an ipad, you should DEFINITELY invest in getting the program Papers2 (there is a student discount). It is a great program that allows you to store, organize and cite all of your papers. That's a simplification, obviously, but I recommend you check it out. They just came out with Papers2 so they are working out some glitches but the first Papers was great so I'm optimistic about Papers2.

Seriously, if you have a mac, check out the free trial. Unfortunately, there is no papers for PC.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to buy an eReader for reading journal articles, the vast majority of which will be in PDF form. I've heard the Kindle is not the best as far as PDFs are concerned but prefer the E-ink to a backlit screen.

Any thoughts or advice?

Kindle DX is an option, although it's the most expensive.

I ended up deciding to go with a 1st Gen iPad for this, the sale prices made them reasonable enough with the launch of the new version. It has a backlit screen which isn't ideal, but the reading/annotation of PDFs makes it worthwhile for me. It gets in Monday, so I'll have more comments on it then.

I had the Sony PRS for a while, but it wasn't great for PDFs- you could zoom in if you needed to, but really too small of a screen with very slow scrolling/loading.

I've had them strongly recommended by a few faculty/grad students I know... Not as a laptop replacement, but a nice middle ground. I plan on using it for presentations, e-mail and an e-reader... Maybe to markup papers and such on the go as well. Should be nice in conjunction with dropbox to make sure I always have my papers with me.

I'll let you guys know how it works later in the week after I've had time to play around with it.

Cool, I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts. I've heard the Kindle isn't the best choice for reading PDFs because the font is often too small, even when read in landscape mode. That would obviously render it fairly worthless to me, E-ink or not.

I saw the clearance ipads. It's definitely tempting, particularly if the only legitimate alternative (the DX) is comparable price-wise.

I had the Sony PRS-600 which had a stylus... It took quite some time to write out comments and have them register. I think it's something you "could get used to", but it's certainly not like writing on a tablet PC.

I'll be getting a stylus for the iPad and I'll let you guys know in a week or so how it works. I know a number of people that use it to mark up student's papers, so it should be decent.

I'm actually looking for the same. Can anyone give me a general idea about notations on eReaders? How long does it take to type a comment? (Personally, I would prefer NOT to type. Does anyone have a reader with a stylus to "write" your notations?)

Yeah, I have the Kindle 2, and it's not the best for pdfs. You can't zoom in in case the font is too small, for instance, and typing comments would be pretty painful, though I haven't tried it yet. I think the best thing for pdfs would be an inexpensive, small netbook. Still cheaper than an iPad.

Have not tried out any of the Android pads though, like the Viewsonics or the (rather pricey) Galaxy Tab.

So I'm rather liking the iPad so far. PDF's look great on it.... Still working on getting them all over and figuring out easiest way to organize them, but I can acess my endnote library through dropbox, send that seems to be working best so far.

I tried out the Android pdf reader on a Motorola Zoom (Xoom?) whatever it's called. I think just about any tablet, iPad or Android, will be better for this than any of the e-readers.

Unfortunately, they also cost three times as much, and the batteries don't last for a month. But there are some Android tablets much cheaper than the Xoom or the Galaxy out from Viewsonic, Creative, Archos, and a few others.

There's an identical post on this board. Anyway, here is the link I posted there too... I wish I actually knew what features I cared more about lol: http://wiki.mobilere...k_Reader_Matrix

Great link! thanks! I am particularly interested in the "large devices" table. Features that I care the most are: batterly life, supported types, and PDF capabilities. ;)

iPad 1. Seemingly infinite battery life (well, like ten hours straight of use, or months and months in standby) which is amazing to me given that my laptops never last more than an hour ): Didn't want an iPad until I got one for graduation, didn't use it all summer, came to grad school and discovered iAnnotate PDF and GoodReader and then became an iPad missionary (two of my friends walked to the mall and bought iPads within 24 hours of trying mine out). I keep my entire technical library easily sorted in GoodReader, including papers, theses, everything. I just reviewed and annotated with comments a 50 page technical proposal on a two hour flight with it. I took notes on the pdf slidedecks my professors last sem provided, syncing with Dropbox minutes before class to get them each day. I cannot speak more highly of it as an eReader (please note, DID NOT WANT IT either.)

Yeah, so I said I'd give a brief review: I'm loving the iPad. I got a good case (otterbox defender) for it so I don't worry much about carrying it everywhere. With dropbox and PDF Expert/GoodReader, I can easily grab any of of the PDF files I have stored in my endnote library, as well as any other document from my current projects.

Annotation is easy and feels a lot like marking up a page.

I just got the Notetaker HD app for taking handwritten notes, and after about half an hour I was writing almost as fast as I usually do, and about as legibly. Using the "fat" styluses takes a bit of getting used to, but I found I adjusted to both the on screen keyboard and the stylus a lot faster than I thought I would.

I've had it for a week, and it's already been a huge boon... It's become my primary presentation computer for group/project meetings (not having to worry about USB drive viruses on campus computers is awesome), I can take it on commutes with me to get a little reading done, and it's much nicer than having to carry binders and binders full of papers around with me to get to what I need, easily.

Hey thanks for your comments on the iPad! I've been looking into getting an eReader for quite awhile to cut down on printing so many dang articles. Can I also get your thoughts on the iPad's resolution for PDF reading? (screen size and pixel per inch) I heard that reading the text sometimes gets uncomfortable because the the ppi is on the lower end.

I find it very sharp. I think it's quite comfortable to read portrait, but if you have very small print you might want to rotate to landscape and scroll. Landscape, it's about 70-85% the size of a normal 8.5 x 11 piece of paper. Zooming in and out with pinch in/pinch out is really fast and easy as well, if you need to see something more clearly.

I've read a variety of old and new PDFs on it, and they've all seemed quite clear.

Hey Eigen! Just one last question for you regarding the iPad. I'm considering getting one for when I enter my History MA program this fall. I already have a 64g iPod touch 4th Gen and was debating on what size to get the iPad in. I only plan on using it for research purposes. What size do you have and do you feel like the space is adequate enough?

I have the 64gb one, and that amount of space = not really necessary just for my library of documents and books. 16 would be a bit small, I would think, though, as some of my books are ~1gb each (not many though). I'd rec 32 at the least.

I have the 16.... All of my files from my desktop (~400 papers, misc. documents, etc) are around 3 gigs, so I figured the 16 would have plenty of room.

I can't really comment on the longevity of this approach (only had it a couple of weeks), but from what I've read unless you're putting a lot of music/videos/games on it, you probably won't fill up 16 all that fast.

That said, I don't know what size your books tend to be- mine are often black and white! I think it also depends on how many books vs. papers you want to keep on it at one time- for me, I just keep a few books, and a lot of papers- but science isn't a very book-centric field.

With DropBox, it's so easy to grab a different book/paper off my computer anywhere I have WiFi (pretty much everywhere I work), space wasn't much of a concern for me.